Rumor: Activision Doesn't Think Female Leads Can Sell Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

umm, ff6 is concidered by some the best final fantasy even though it had a female lead. even though no one ever talks about here, only kefka...

Mr. Grey:

YurdleTheTurtle:
No point getting disgruntled, because none of this is confirmed. It's all a rumour.

Considering Activision's bad reputation though, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone agreed that this was true. Not defending them, just looking at it from a different perspective.

If I am proven wrong, I will apologize and bring a picture of cake.

Till then, I have unresolved rage brought on by years of aggravation from this company that I kept inside of me. I need an outlet and Activision just happens to be the perfect verbal punching bag. Actually, I have unresolved rage from the industry in its entirety. Activision just loves pitching in more than the others, publicly anyways.

A m e n.

In reality, I would love playing a female protaganist, seriously, they just want to quickly sell cash, make revenue don't give a fuck about the audience. So long there is profit to be made, you bet your ass Activision is ATOP of it. Really, the rage towards Activision is beyond words, every statement, 'positive' or negative, pisses me off even more and more.

I can't understand activision's logic.

If there would be more female protagonist, maybe more girl would play games. And real female person, not just a big-breasted side character. I mean, woman are like half of the world's population. Even in the military, some of history's greatest warrior and chief were woman. I'm very sick of always playing the same face-less american soldier.

rumor or not, would this really come as a surprise?

besides, nobody cried over the death of a male character like they did with say...Aeris (lol)

The_root_of_all_evil:
Snipped from the other thread:

Uh....Sarah Louise Kerrigan?

She was in this little known game called Starcraft?

So Chell/GLADos, Joanna Dark, The Agent: Kate Archer, Faith Connors, Alyx Vance, Princess Peach, Tifa Lockhart, Cassandra/Sophitia Alexandra, Chun Li/Cammy White/Rose Bison, Rubi Malone, Nariko, Claire Redfield/Jill Valentine, Anna/Nina Williams, Miranda Keyes, Mileena/Kitana, Chai Xianghua, Cortana, Zoey/Rochelle, Damsel/Tourette/Velvet Velour/Pisha/Ming-Xiao, The Path's Sisters, Ashleigh Williams, Sailor Moon, Wonder Woman, Buffy Summers/Willow, Aeryn Sun, Leia Organa, ALICE, Gatchaman Jun, Princess Zelda, Sarah Connor or Dana Scully couldn't sell games?

And of course, Lara Croft, Bayonetta, Mai Shiranui, Ivy Valentine for the T&A brigade.

Most of those aren't "lead" characters or video game characters, which is what this topic is discussing. http://thesaurus.com/browse/lead+character. I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to say games with females in supplementary or support roles haven't tended to sell well in the past.

Blueruler182:
I've kept a steady answer whenever someone asks me what gender I want to play. I play women. Because if I have to look at an ass throughout the whole game it might as well be a nice one.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure nobody will care what gender the lead is so long as it's a good story and good gameplay. Saying that gamers don't want women is just... moronic, really.

I grew up in the age of Buffy and Xena, no wonder I still find it hot/awesome to see a woman kicking ass.
So when I play videogames, I much prefer seeing that.
I can imagine that if you grew up in the 80s with more badass male characters you would want to be a badass male character.

Activisions PR rep = 9001 MEGATON NUCLEAR FACEPALM

Yeah pick your market but don't pigeonhole your customer base into misogyny

Female leads sell, as said above, Tomb Raider anyone? one of the top sellers for ps1?

fair enough your average fratboy stereotype would be "bummed to play a chick master chief" but there are other markets.

get into the niche Activistion stop being a 1 trick pony, your magical money printers in Azeroth aren't going to last forever.

Though I do dislike activision for a whole host of reasons, this I just don't think is true. I dunno, it just sounds more like someone trying to suckapunch activision rather than say truthful evil things about them.

Got to say it, I'm calling bullshit on this one.

I would probably buy COD: Black Ops if it had a female lead, even though I have no interest in the game right now. Variety is good, and games with female leads stand out from all the generic male lead games.

Sure if you don't innovate and just remake the same thing over and over again, that'll work fine for a while as long as people buy it, but if you don't innovate, you risk becoming obsolete in an ever-changing marketplace.

Dear Activision

Hire Joss Whedon.
I'm not saying the man is perfect, but many people seem to like his strong female leads. Check out his works and tell me they weren't successful and popular when released(and in a lot of cases, to this day as well). In short - Imagine casting the likes of Buffy in a game lead role. Joss Whedon is already popular, and skilled as well. Who knows, maybe a game with a female lead could appeal to a wider audience, so long as she wasn't a cardboard cutout (which joss avoids a lot of the time).

Or maybe I'm talking out my ass here.

Oh come on. You are seriously going to use FF13 as the benchmark for female leads that sell shitloads of games. We all know FF13 would have sold regardless who was the lead character.

Activision is really filled with idiots honestly. My interest has been sharply declining in their games since they're all the new games coming out are basically cookie cutter versions of their older games.

Naheal:

SenseOfTumour:
What about the Final Fantasy games?

What?

you mean they were guys?

Even Tidus?

They were guys... every single.. oh wait

You forgot Terra <.<

OT: As summed up by many people before, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Dead or Alive, Tomb Raider, et cetera..

I know bloody well I've been ninja'd on this, but I have to say it.

*ahem* Activision! If female leads don't sell games, then explain Tomb Raider. Yeah, that's what I thought.

Somehow I think this rumor is highly unlikly with one of the longest running franchises having the same female lead in every game for over a decade, had 2 movies based upon, and used to advertise sports drinks and cars

LeonLethality:
You forgot Terra <.<

OT: As summed up by many people before, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Dead or Alive, Tomb Raider, et cetera..

Oh, right, Terra. For some reason, whenever I think of 6, I think of Locke...

They have a don't have a policy of telling game developers what to do, yet they withhold royalties from Infinity Ward until Modern Warfare 3 was to be finished?

Hypocrisy much?

Naheal:

LeonLethality:
You forgot Terra <.<

Oh, right, Terra. For some reason, whenever I think of 6, I think of Locke...

I think of both of them and Edgar. I kind of think those three were the main lead characters with no single one being the main character.

Tom Goldman:
I would love to see a studio develop one such title (that's actually good) to see what happens.

Been there, done that.

The_root_of_all_evil:
*snip

Don't forget the original videogame heroine: Samus Aran!

I would love to see a GTA with a female lead. I usually play as a female in Saints Row 2, but the cutscenes and conversations never acknowledge the gender of the character, so it doesn't affect the story at all. But with the story written around a female protagonist I think it could be very interesting. That is, if they refrain from making every male character trying to hit on/rape her. And don't make her a bitch that thinks the solution to everything is a bullet in the face.

um first off arnt there more female night elves in wow then any other toon? and id like to add a game that did amazingly well in the states that had almost no male cast i am of course taling of final fanisy 10 2

A GTA/CoD style game with a female as the main character? I guess that I need to agree with Activision. That would look kinda stupid and wouldn't sell well.

Yeah, this is par for the course when their boss is a sexist fuck.

What? For real?
Have we.. gone back in time?

Well then, let me inform you then Activision about the first game I ever played in my entire life that would shape me into the sort of gamer I am today, more or less;

Rumor: Activision are run by monkies

ADD: This is fucking depressing I must add. We're living in 20XX and we still have a fucking stupid patriarchal society..

Hurray Forums:

Irridium:
Yeah, because games with a female lead have never made a major impact on gaming.

I hate focus groups so much. And this pisses me off. Your game won't sell well if it has a male-lead. Stop focusing on pointless things and focus on actually making the games fun.

Morons.

Tons of people say games with female leads can sell really well, yet the first game that people ALWAYS bring up in topics like this is a character who purposely had their femininity hidden in their original game except for the obligatory fanservice at the end of the game, and ever since has only had said femininity exposed for more fanservice(*glares at Zero Suit Samus*). Samus is NOT a female character, it's a robot suit that the developers decided "Hey, lets throw a chick in their to mess with some people's heads". Doesn't the fact that the only truly popular female lead character that gaming can offer up has their femininity hidden behind a cold metal shell kind of imply that maybe it's not as far off the mark as people say? The only time female leads(where it's not a "choose your own sex" game) really have sold well is in the "blatant fanservice role" like in Tomb Raider, Dead or Alive, and Bayonetta. All the games that have female leads that are actually identifiable as female and not blatant fan service like Mirror's Edge, Xenosaga, Beyond Good and Evil, and The Longest Journey haven't sold very well at all. Sure, their cult favorites and were rated high by critics, but that doesn't mean they sold well. That's not to say that we shouldn't demand more games with female leads and that developers shouldn't make them, but more along the lines that the fear developers have of actually doing it isn't entirely unfounded, and that placing the blame all on them isn't very fair. Actual gamers shape the industry just as much as developers.

You ninja'd me. You ninja'd me very well, probably better than i could have bothered.

So Chell/GLADos, Joanna Dark, The Agent: Kate Archer, Faith Connors, Alyx Vance, Princess Peach, Tifa Lockhart, Cassandra/Sophitia Alexandra, Chun Li/Cammy White/Rose Bison, Rubi Malone, Nariko, Claire Redfield/Jill Valentine, Anna/Nina Williams, Miranda Keyes, Mileena/Kitana, Chai Xianghua, Cortana, Zoey/Rochelle, Damsel/Tourette/Velvet Velour/Pisha/Ming-Xiao, The Path's Sisters, Ashleigh Williams, Sailor Moon, Wonder Woman, Buffy Summers/Willow, Aeryn Sun, Leia Organa, ALICE, Gatchaman Jun, Princess Zelda, Sarah Connor or Dana Scully couldn't sell games?

That's very cute. The point is about female LEADS however, not female supporting characters.

Tomb Raider?
a lot of resident evil games?
metroid?
bayonetta?
no? okay, i must just be imagining things.

i only have to say this if their the reason we dont get starcraft ghost i beleave we may have a public linching of the activision staff:)

Well, just for one, Samus Aran would like a word with activision.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Snipped from the other thread:

Uh....Sarah Louise Kerrigan?

She was in this little known game called Starcraft?

And of course, Lara Croft, Bayonetta, Mai Shiranui, Ivy Valentine for the T&A brigade.

And most of them.

Plus, I REALLY find it hard to believe that games like Modern Warfare sold because of their compelling male leads.

Activision...trust me...you could make the world's shittiest game(And you have experience in this arena), but if it has good jigglephysics and a busty female lead, played in third person, you will sell more copies than you know what to do with.

WE LIKE BOOBIES, BOBBY!

poiumty:
That's very cute. The point is about female LEADS however, not female supporting characters.

Uhh....apparently your definition of lead is pretty odd, because Chell is kinda the player character in Portal. And she's a chick. With boobies and everything.

Seems Activision has never heard of Tomb raider or Metroid or Bayonetta or mirrors edge or FF13 or.. Resident evil apparently or..Well you get my point. Well no surprises their really Activision living in its own fantasy world(ironic) where they think they know best.

Now, now, gentlefolk. Let's remember this is a rumor. There's plenty of genuine Activision evil to be getting bent out of shape about without going off on what may be plausible fiction.

CitySquirrel:
I would love to see a GTA starring some ambitious young woman starting her own cartel.

While I agree for the most part that female leads can sell games just as well as male leads can, GTA is one series I wouldnt use one for. I just cant see a badass borderline psychopath female lead doing very well for a couple reasons.

1. Carjackings. Women are generally smaller than men, so either the character would have to be a pretty hefty woman (probably making her less appealing of a character), the character wouldnt be very good at stealing cars when unarmed, or people would have to give up their cars to 120 pound women extremely easily.

2. The main character's constant yelling. Most of the mains in GTA games (except Claude) spend a lot of time yelling. I remember Niko would often be yelling every other time he killed someone or stole a car. Its harder to find a female voice that would come off as badass. More likely, the player would be unable to take her as seriously or would just be annoyed by her.

Personally, I dont think I would play a GTA game with a female lead, so I can kinda understand where Activision is coming from on this.

...I think they need to take a look at some games and see how many have female leads...and how many have actually done well.

Its not that we dont like playing as females...its the games!...not the gender...

Oh please, like Activision is the only company to think this. I know we all want to hate on Activision but let's be fair a lot of companies have to come to this conclusion and have acted on it. To dismiss this as 'Evil Activision' is misleading at best. They have a point whether you like it or not. Gamers are a bunch of misogynistic jerks who don't want to play as frilly girls because they're weak and have tea parties and men are strong and lift boulders and stuff. If they do have females they either have to be over sexualized or pretty much be a man in womens clothing (e.g. Halo Reach female spartan, Gears 3 females, Critical Miss).

If you're going to go at Activision get them for things that other companies don't actually do. Like when Kotick's had to much coke and says stupid shit.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.