X-Men Director: Superhero Movies Are Dying

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

X-Men Director: Superhero Movies Are Dying

The director of X-Men: First Class isn't sure that anyone is going to care about superhero movies in the near future.

Kick-Ass director Matthew Vaughn thinks audiences are being overwhelmed with superhero movies, and that they'll soon lose their audience. He's currently working on X-Men: First Class, but according to him the movie could be one of the last starring superheroes that people will actually want to go out and see.

He told the LA Times that the superhero genre has "been mined to death and in some cases the quality control is not what it's supposed to be." Vaughn says: "People are just going to get bored of it."

So why is he working on a superhero movie in the upcoming X-Men: First Class? He's getting one in while people still care.

Vaughn reveals: "I've always wanted to do a big-budget superhero film and I think we've kind of crossed the Rubicon with superhero films. I think [the opportunity to do one], it's only going to be there two or three more times. Then, the genre is going to be dead for a while because the audience has just been pummeled too much." Vaughn also says he "could have made something a hundred times better" than the last X-Men movie, X-Men: The Last Stand, which he nearly directed. We'll see, won't we?

With plenty of comic book movies slated to be released in the next few years, including Avengers, Green Lantern, Thor, and Captain America, it could be a major problem for studios if Vaughn is right. Is there something about superheroes that will turn people off even if all of the movies coming out are actually worth seeing? I personally don't think so, but then I actually read comic books, so I look forward to good comic book movies. If the products that studios put out are garbage, that's another story.

Via: Collider

considering how excited people are for the avengers movie and the iron man 3 sequel, i think Vaughn is talkin' out of his ass

The market has been saturated with superhero films since the release of Spiderman and X-Men. Of course we're getting bored with it! Once they're done with The Avengers, there isn't much left that is recognizable to the general public.

I think hes right to be honest. Its got so dilluted at the moment and can see it already falling out of style...

I mean if we are down to make sequels for Cats and Dogs...yeah...

That's a load of nonsense. Frankly people always want more of the same and only on occasions want something new and refreshing... how else would film series like saw and final destination last for so many incarnations.

That's like saying people will get sick of superheroes... no they won't, Superheroes have been popular for over half a century now, films and comics alike.

Not to mention, most people watch films for fun, which most superhero films provide in spades. I fear for the new x-men film if the he thinks the genre is getting weak.

EDIT: Also would like to state that even people who don't read comics, like superheroes. For these people, film is their primary source.

Yeah, I'm on his side on this one. Can't see much more in terms of superhero films coming beyond the next few years.

Erm, yeah i think this idea was already spotted without them making it more clear. If they do the movie good enough, then people will like it. Such as Iron Man. X-Men wasnt too bad either. Superman, Batman...sorry, i hated them.

I just think it depends on the special effects and the type of super hero, whether it be an already cartooned hero, or a new creation.

Well he does speak the truth. To be honest, I'm not even bothered that much about the avengers film, as personally I never have seen the appeal.

But then i have only read the ultimate universe version, where the writers clearly had the idea of, 'lets take all the marvel main universe characters and make them arseholes'. So my opnion may be clouded.

Sorry, but with most of the comic book nerds growing up and having most of the money now, comic book movies are very bankable. Even B-level stars like Ghost-Rider and Daredevil still pulled in over 100 million.

Will the spiderman reboot match the success of the original? Probably not, but any superhero that has a solid following and gets a big-screen treatment will probably do well. We've only scratched the surface of the x-men series, and the way the Avenger films are going I would think we've got at least another 10 years of good content before the barrel is scraped dry.

Hey, Mr. Vaughn, you know what else is getting stale? Romantic comedies. Action-adventure romps? Boooooooring. Suspense and horror? Too predictable. Drama? That's so yesterday, girlfriend.

This is the same kind of bullcrap that anyone who's bored with life spews out just to get attention. Shut up, and go make a movie, monkey.

Speaking of monkeys, where's my "Dial M for Monkey" movie? I think we're long overdue for one =)

If they are dying, it's the writing in things like X-Men 3 that'll kill them.

I think it's only because we're running out of superheroes that people care about.

Still, when the next Batman comes out (not technically a superhero, I know) people are going to be jizzing themselves, just like they are over the Avengers film.

I loved Iron Man 2, everyone I know loves Iron Man 2.

Mr Vaughn knows squat.

Well, what else is there? Movies based off comics, sequels, and remakes are the majority of the movies out there... then there are those rare new movies...

What about regular action movies? Dramas? Hell, romantic comedies? It's like the claims that the rhythm game game genre is oversaturated. Look at the other genres--sport and FPS games are everywhere. The only problem superhero movies are facing is a dearth of source material.

Yeah, the X-men franchise (and other superhero movies done by Ratner) is not the place to base your analysis of interest. Not since Marvel and DC started making their own movies and doing it right.

X-men: First Class may be the last superhero movie by outside studios that people are willing to see.

It's because they keep doing them like superhero movies. That's why The Dark Knight worked so well, because it WASN'T like all the others. Supposedly The Green Lantern is gonna be that way too, I really hope so. I'm also getting tired of Superhero moves, not because there's too many, but because most of them just aren't that great.

Too many filmmakers (or people in any business, really), seem to think that if you copy something that's popular, you'll also become popular. In the '80s it was cop movies, in the '90s there were about a thousand father-son bonding movies, and right now the big thing is superhero movies (at least it's not penguins anymore). After The Matrix came out, every movie had bullet time. Most filmmakers don't know anything except bandwagons, and they find the most trivial aspect of a movie and think that's why it was successful.

With penguins, it started with March of the Penguins. It was a massive, and unexpected success. Soon after came Happy Feet, Surf's Up, and probably some others that I'm forgetting. The big studios thought that MotP's success was because it was about penguins, it didn't even occur to them that it was simply because it was a good film.

Just watch, I bet sometime in the next few years, we see a dozen crappy Inception clones.

P.S. Thanks

I disagree. We're bored of shitty superhero movies like Spider-man 3.

If people consistently made good superhero movies, we prabably wouldn't be as tired of the genre.

Plus, a large portion of the moviegoing audience will be entertained as long as the movie contains explosions and violence.

He's only just realised this? Talk about slow.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Sure, I love comics, but I'm not simply biased - I've paid careful attention to audiences' reactions, because I'm not the one who will decide the fates of the genre. It will be the people not already sold on comics. And they've been doing great. The Dark Knight broke records. Everyone loves Iron Man. So where is this sentiment coming from?

Ragsnstitches:
That's a load of nonsense. Frankly people always want more of the same and only on occasions want something new and refreshing... how else would film series like saw and final destination last for so many incarnations.

That's like saying people will get sick of superheroes... no they won't, Superheroes have been popular for over half a century now, films and comics alike.

Not to mention, most people watch films for fun, which most superhero films provide in spades. I fear for the new x-men film if the he thinks the genre is getting weak.

EDIT: Also would like to state that even people who don't read comics, like superheroes. For these people, film is their primary source.

Me too. This sounds like an early cop out if the movie does poorly. The sequel to TDK and the Avengers movies are slated to be two of the largest (and most successful) movies of the year.

Jaredin:
I think hes right to be honest. Its got so dilluted at the moment and can see it already falling out of style...

I mean if we are down to make sequels for Cats and Dogs...yeah...

What does Cats and Dogs have to do with it? That's not a superhero movie.. if anything, that's evidence that movie studios need something new, and there's still a lot of potential to mine in the super hero genre.

I was pumped about superhero movies... around five years ago.

These days, the only ones I care about are the Batman movies, and the occasional cult classics, like Watchmen, Kickass, Scott Pilgrim.

It's a theory as good as any other, but I don't think that it's one that's going to pass. As long as superhero movies are done right, people are going to care. I mean, saying those movies are going to die is like saying romantic comedies are going to die.

I agree with him. I am actually getting tired of superhero movies already...

Rect Pola:
Yeah, the X-men franchise (and other superhero movies done by Ratner) is not the place to base your analysis of interest. Not since Marvel and DC started making their own movies and doing it right.

X-men: First Class may be the last superhero movie by outside studios that people are willing to see.

DC has been run by Warner Brothers since at least the early 90s. Marvel is currently owned by Disney. Don't think for a second that a handful of decent films has anything to do with them taking on their own thing. The studios just loosened their deathgrip on the creative balls for a while, and discovered it wasn't a bad idea.

I have no doubt that they'll start squeezing again, trying to wring every last drop of money they can from comic book fans. When that happens, we'll stop giving them our money, or start complaining louder than ever.

i happened with westerns before this
and now you'd be hard pressed to find a real western movie in todays holywood

with it getting harder and harder to make movies it will take longer but there is truth to what he's saying

How about this; make up some new superheroes that haven't appeared in over 9000 comics already, and maybe the popularity will rise.

Either that, or just make two Superman live-action movies, based of the "Death of Superman"-saga. Because Doomsday is kickass.

Proteus214:
The market has been saturated with superhero films since the release of Spiderman and X-Men. Of course we're getting bored with it! Once they're done with The Avengers, there isn't much left that is recognizable to the general public.

I personally think their are many more heroes we all loved as kids still to be in a really good movie, Green Lanturn for example along with Cyborg, Beast Boy (which would be awesome) hell, i still want to see a she Hulk!

OT: Personally i think he is wrong, simply because their are many more superheroes/Villains we have yet to see in these movies, i think the problem is they are following the comics...while it is good they are doing this as well (because it keeps fans happy), it can be hard sticking to them...in order to survive i think they to spread their wings a bit...

I think he may be onto something here. Back when Spider-man came out in 2002, superhero movies were a no-show. But this days it's no longer something special.
I keep hearing the words "yet another superhero movie" coming out from people I know. How long before this catches up?
I hope after The Avengers at least...

Personally I reckon the genre still has life in it. But at the rate they're being churned out, the superhero genre will have their own Cleopatra sooner or later. Hopefully it wont be Marvel Studios that has to bite that bullet.

It's not that we are bored of seeing super heros kick some ass, it's just watching them over and over again that really puts me off.

The Daredevil movie, I saw it and I loved it (still do).
The X-Men movie (the first one) saw it, loved it. However by the third one I was a little bit bored. I don't think it's super heros are dying, it's just repitition that is killing them.

Covarr:
It's because they keep doing them like superhero movies. That's why The Dark Knight worked so well, because it WASN'T like all the others. Supposedly The Green Lantern is gonna be that way too, I really hope so. I'm also getting tired of Superhero moves, not because there's too many, but because most of them just aren't that great.

Too many filmmakers (or people in any business, really), seem to think that if you copy something that's popular, you'll also become popular. In the '80s it was cop movies, in the '90s there were about a thousand father-son bonding movies, and right now the big thing is superhero movies (at least it's not penguins anymore). After The Matrix came out, every movie had bullet time. Most filmmakers don't know anything except bandwagons, and they find the most trivial aspect of a movie and think that's why it was successful.

With penguins, it started with March of the Penguins. It was a massive, and unexpected success. Soon after came Happy Feet, Surf's Up, and probably some others that I'm forgetting. The big studios thought that MotP's success was because it was about penguins, it didn't even occur to them that it was simply because it was a good film.

Just watch, I bet sometime in the next few years, we see a dozen crappy Inception clones.

P.S. Thanks

Im going to have disagree with you on your first point. The dark knight succeeded because it was an awesome movie. Watchmen had the same tone and i don't even think that turned a profit. I have to agree that hollywood has a follow the leader style of making movies. alien invasion movies were all the rage for awhile, then brooding anti-heroes, quirky scientists etc.

well put some damn work into the stores and the acting, and make it a great movie and people will go see it.

phoning it in and the hollywood bullshit kills movies, or just bad script writers in general, and infighting over the scripts and rewrites and haggling that goes on. forcing characters into stories to make some more action figure tie ins and tee shirts and merchandising, and focing romance plots and etc because movies need them.

just too much follow what came before and never try to be different never take any real risks gofor the same cliches and remake the movies that worked over and over, but of course make them worse as you retread the same ground.

give us crap movies and no people will not go see them.

Vaughn is probably right on this one.

And definitely right in claiming that X-Men: The Last Stand was a pretty sloppy film, in my opinion.

Vaughn definitely has a point; for the past ten years we have been beaten to death by superhero films and in 2012 we're going to have the final chapter in Nolan's Batman saga. The superhero movie is the new western and as such it's being milked as far as it can go without rhyme or reason (well, except money of course). Marvel certainly isn't helping by thinking they can Xerox their beloved onto the big screen

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here