Rumored Batman: Arkham City Details Swoop From the Shadows

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Apparent details of the Caped Crusader's latest face-breaking adventure have surfaced on the internet.

If you missed last year's Batman: Arkham Asylum, then you are a poor, deprived soul because the game was absolutely superb. It's little wonder, then, that more than a few people are looking forward to returning to Gotham in the upcoming Arkham City.

Aptly-named fan site Arkham City has a list of details from Batman's latest outing that it claims are straight from the pages of the latest Game Informer. While all of the information seems to fall in line with what we already know about the game, standard rumor caveats apply - take it with a grain of salt for the time being.

Given that Arkham Asylum is about as effective at imprisoning supervillains as tissue paper is at imprisoning hot water, we're told that Quincy Sharp - running for mayor of Gotham - finally decides to shut the damn place down. He buys a huge swath of the Gotham City slums, ships in inmates from Arkham and Black Gate Prison, and walls the entire place off to create Arkham City. Naturally, nobody in Gotham sees any potential problem in bringing superpowered evildoers into the heart of the city itself, because with the exception of the Dark Knight they're all a bit bonkers.

Inside Arkham City, Two-Face intends to have Catwoman killed to raise his esteem in the eyes of the inmates - and somehow, Batman gets dragged into the whole thing once again. Good thing, or else there wouldn't be much of a game.

According to the report, Batman will not be falling prey to the dreaded Mega Man Sequel Syndrome, and will have all of the tools and gadgets he had at the end of the first game available from the start of this one. This means that Batman will be getting even more Bat-Upgrades, though only one is mentioned by name - his trusty smoke bomb. The Caped Crusader is now capable of countering two attacks at once, which will be very handy against the gangs of hoodlums roaming the wild streets of Arkham City. The game will be more puzzle-heavy than the last, and the Riddler will be returning with his Riddler Challenges to make you walk around the city manually inspecting every last inch.

If all of this is true, then consider my interest in Arkham City officially piqued (more than it was already, I mean). We'll know if these details are the real deal for sure once the latest issue of Game Informer hits shelves.

(VG247)

I just read all of them on x360a =D

Seems feasible... and very awesome if true ;D

Christmas is looking further away.

Off-T: WOO 400 posts!

Sounds... rather good, actually.
I was afraid that this would suck, but now my hopes are rising!

This sounds quite cool. I'm hoping since the game is in a large area now that maybe it will be partly free roam.

All good things, very good things

Wowie. Keep ugrades? And such a beautiful premise... Batman, rock on!

The only thing I disliked is that, as usual, Gotham citizens are a bit dense.

If he starts out with all the gadgets, then this game will be a whole lot more complex than the first one.

I am replaying AA as we speak. So I am very hyped about this. Im wondering if fall of 2011 is too short a turn around time on it though. I would hate to see something with so much potential to be better than the first end up feeling rushed just to meet the holiday rush. I could gladly wait till 2012 for a better product from top to bottom.

dochmbi:
If he starts out with all the gadgets, then this game will be a whole lot more complex than the first one.

Thats exactly what I thought. This game is going to be hard.

Mmmmmmmm I liked how you had to get stuff it helped to keep the pacing balanced I wonder if the paeing on this will be worse.....

I'm just hoping that large crowd combat isn't going to be gobsmackingly hard. It's frustrating to see them take cheap shots, nicking away one inch of health at a time.

Oh, thank Heaven.... We get to keep the hard won upgrades.. which means the upgrades for the new game will have to be as much fun and as awesome, right? Right?

Glad to see that there'll be more puzzles, too! It took a lot of sweat and toil to find them all, but it was deeply satisfying once you had them all...

There must be even more gargoyles to swoop down on thugs from in the heart of Gotham, right?

How cool would it be to be able to visit Wayne Manor?

Should be a docks level.

It is time for a return of the shark repellent Bat-spray from the original movie!

IamSofaKingRaw:

dochmbi:
If he starts out with all the gadgets, then this game will be a whole lot more complex than the first
one.

Thats exactly what I thought. This game is going to be hard.

I want want want want this game badly, If it's anything like the first..This could very well end up as my first platinum Trophy XD

I really need to get around to playing the first one sometime

Who the hell let Sharp just drop the city's most violent and chaotic beings into the heart of the city? And why did Batman let Sharp run, fully knowing that he's crazy and thinks he's continuing the work of Amadeus Arkham?

So, they say that Titan may not be what wrong with Joker? Then what the hell is? God, I can't believe we have a little over a year left before this hits.

Hooray for more actually good Batman-games!

NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-BATMAN!

... The batmobile better fucking be driveable in this one. Batjet too.

And I thought it was pretty well established that batman is at least as crazy as all the supervillains he punches.

This is going to be awesome.

Especially since it's not going the Metroid route of having some arbitary reason for you losing all your abilities at the start. That's going to be pretty badass.

Really psyched for this. But really, I don't think any new game mechanics are even necessary. BAA was damn near perfect in that regard. They just need to make it longer with more replay value. I hated that once Joker was down, there was nothing to do but stroll around on the island and see the sights. Fix that, and it's the perfect game.

Woop woop! Made my day. And I like how it's written that the only one in Arkham who isn't bonkers is a guy that runs around dressed as a bat.

This. Is. Awesome!! Just yesterday I was talking about how excited I was about this game, and now my expectations are even higher. And what's great is that Rocksteady proved themselves so well that I know what I'll be getting and that I'll enjoy it.

Especially awesome is that we'll start with all current gadgets. I wonder if the game will start immediately following the end of Arkham Asylum? Or maybe only a short while later, so Bats will be able to heal himself up a bit. Maybe not, if they have already walled up a part of Gotham.

Tarakos:
Who the hell let Sharp just drop the city's most violent and chaotic beings into the heart of the city? And why did Batman let Sharp run, fully knowing that he's crazy and thinks he's continuing the work of Amadeus Arkham?

So, they say that Titan may not be what wrong with Joker? Then what the hell is? God, I can't believe we have a little over a year left before this hits.

Maybe I should change to a batman icon for a while..

John Funk:

According to the report, Batman will not be falling prey to the dreaded Mega Man Sequel Syndrome, and will have all of the tools and gadgets he had at the end of the first game available from the start of this one.

This makes me very happy.

"Two Face intends to have Catwoman killed"?

If that was Poison Ivy I'd say never put two former lovers in the same Asylum. I am one of those fools. The FOOLS who have not played the game :(

ranger19:
This. Is. Awesome!! Just yesterday I was talking about how excited I was about this game, and now my expectations are even higher. And what's great is that Rocksteady proved themselves so well that I know what I'll be getting and that I'll enjoy it.

Especially awesome is that we'll start with all current gadgets. I wonder if the game will start immediately following the end of Arkham Asylum? Or maybe only a short while later, so Bats will be able to heal himself up a bit. Maybe not, if they have already walled up a part of Gotham.

Tarakos:

At the time of the first game, Sharp was only running for mayor. And even if Batman couldn't catch him in the end, shouldn't he have done something to prevent this psychopath from gaining control of the city? And Batman has evidence, doesn't he? I'm pretty sure he recorded all the messages from Sharp, including the one where he reveals that it is him that's been trying to kill Arkham's inmates? I dunno, I'll need to hear Batman himself explain why he just let this happen.

Interesting, very interesting. One thing I hope they do is allow you to interrupt a ground takedown in order to counter an attack. It's so annoying when that happens. The returning gadgets are excellent news.

Wow That mayor is an idiot!
Bats, just stay away from Catwoman, she'll only end up hurting you!

HOLY SHIT! Do want so hard! I'm really looking forward to the inclusion of Hugo Strange that should prove.... interesting.

oooooooo, me likey. I loved Arkham Asylum, so all of this possible additions to the game just makes my appitite for the sequel whet.

The Fork of Truth:
Interesting, very interesting. One thing I hope they do is allow you to interrupt a ground takedown in order to counter an attack. It's so annoying when that happens. The returning gadgets are excellent news.

Actually, it'd be cool if they made it so that you could interrupt any takedown to counter -- and then of course made it so that any takedown could be interrupted if you took a hit. The non-interruptable special takedown was cheesy in that respect -- if they're pressing you too hard, just slap one of those on and you then have a moment or so to catch up while the animation plays. It also looked dumb to see bad guys swing through you while you're cracking an arm.

Tarakos:

ranger19:

Tarakos:

At the time of the first game, Sharp was only running for mayor. And even if Batman couldn't catch him in the end, shouldn't he have done something to prevent this psychopath from gaining control of the city? And Batman has evidence, doesn't he? I'm pretty sure he recorded all the messages from Sharp, including the one where he reveals that it is him that's been trying to kill Arkham's inmates? I dunno, I'll need to hear Batman himself explain why he just let this happen.

Same reason Batman does anything.

He's the goddamned Batman.

Also, for the luls.

Tarakos:

Hm.. I don't know. I don't remember the specifics of the story quite well enough, I guess. Maybe this was done out of necessity a bit - after all, Arkham Island was pretty tore up by the end of AA. Either way, I trust Rocksteady to have everything ironed out.

In other news.. who wants to take bets on whether Batman has a Bat Cave under the section of Gotham that's been put into lockdown?

Also: anyone else wonder if the sequel to Arkham City will be "Arkham Universe", and we discover that DC universe has been for that all along?

Now that has caught my intrest...until something is confirmed though I am waiting with bated breath!

Geamo:
This is going to be awesome.

Especially since it's not going the Metroid route of having some arbitary reason for you losing all your abilities at the start. That's going to be pretty badass.

The fact that you start off with all the gear massively increases the liklihood that a reason will be manufactured to strip you of it all at least once. It's the obvious thing to do, and that was something AA suffered from. While I generally enjoyed AA, it had some really obvious and, frankly, weak design decisions running through it. The boss encounters (particularly Croc and Ivy) were uninteresting and even tedious. The finale was such a let down, feeling like something out of the 90's PS1 design manual. I'm hoping they up their game (pardon the pun) significantly on this one, and don't just rely on atmosphere and visuals to drag you through.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.