Warren Spector Wants DuckTales Badly

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Warren Spector Wants DuckTales Badly

Once he's done making Epic Mickey, Warren Spector has plans for Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Scrooge McDuck.

It's been established that Warren Spector's Junction Studios is probably going to make Mickey awesome. The upcoming Epic Mickey is a Disney game that kicks some of the kid-friendly formula to the curb to add more exciting game elements. Spector would love to do the same with other Disney characters, if allowed.

In particular, Spector puts the quackers from DuckTales at the top of his list. When asked by IndustryGamers if he'd like to work with other Disney characters after Mickey Mouse, Spector said: "Oh, heck yeah."

Spector seems to be a litle crazy for the characters, actually. He says: "A day does not go by where I don't tell somebody at Disney: 'Gimme the ducks. Gimme the ducks! Uncle Scrooge, come on! Donald! Huey, Dewey, and Louie! Come on, let me do a duck game!'"

DuckTales got its start in a comic book created by Carl Barks and became a cartoon that featured Scrooge McDuck and his triplet nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie. McDuck is the richest duck on Earth, and owns a vault filled with money that he likes to swim through from time to time. He's constantly trying to become even richer, often going on adventures throughout the world.

DuckTales was actually already made into a couple of games for the NES (later ported to the Game Boy) by Capcom and they were pretty good. They're non-linear and have multiple endings depending on how many of the world's treasures you're able to collect as Scrooge McDuck.

Spector calls McDuck "Indiana Jones before Steven Spielberg was a gleam in his mother's eye" and "a great character." He wants to bring some of Carl Barks' work "to life in games." If Epic Mickey does well, why not let Spector tackle more of Disney's roster? He could have the ducks solve a mystery, or even rewrite history. I have three words for Spector if he's able to make this happen: Darkwing Duck level.

(Industry Gamers)

Tom Goldman:
I have three words for Spector if he's able to make this happen: Darkwing Duck level.

Stole the idea right out of my head, Tom! Thought that the second I saw that headline. :-P

Tom Goldman:
DuckTales is a comic book created by Carl Barks which also became a cartoon that featured Scrooge McDuck and his triplet nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

Not quite. It began as a cartoon series, based on Carl Barks' Scrooge McDuck character and other additions to Duckburg (the Uncle Scrooge series) -- basically the entire extended 'Donald Duck' cast without the big canard himself.

Carl Barks didn't write for the show, but some of Carl Barks' existing stories were adapted to Ducktales episodes.

This could be good. I had the gameboy Ducktales game and played the hell out of it :)

I'll buy Epic Mickey 3 times to help with a Wii Ducktales.

DaxStrife:

Tom Goldman:
I have three words for Spector if he's able to make this happen: Darkwing Duck level.

Stole the idea right out of my head, Tom! Thought that the second I saw that headline. :-P

Darkwing Duck AND DuckTales as a video game! (Possibly?)

Oh, hell Fucking YES!

I loved those shows! Gimme them as games!

duck tales A-Whooo

Mr. Spector really DOES know everything.

If it helps Duck Tales come to fruition, I may have to buy Epic Mickey somehow.

Just wait, eventually Disney will start having Pixar develop games along with movies. That way we can cry like babies in the comfort of our own home.

Aura Guardian:

I second that... except I dont have a wii so I will buy the move port 3 times!

KeyMaster45:
Just wait, eventually Disney will start having Pixar develop games along with movies. That way we can cry like babies in the comfort of our own home.

you can already do that through the magic of dvd's!

sorry for such a close post... but I had to

DaxStrife:

Tom Goldman:

I have two more words.

Quack Shot.

That's pretty amazing. I loved those as a kid.

Darkwing duck game plz. I'm reading this new comic about him and I can't get the old theme song out of my head now

As long as he includes the Moon Theme from the original NES game. Or a fancy remix, for cripes' sake.

I can even suggest a good lyricist... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHEgzRtKC5o

Well he has the right idea. Now to take the executive in charge, and run him over with a steam roller, or kidnap a family member to actually get approval for the project.

I'd rather he make a game of Gargoyles or Tale Spin (how awesome would that be: cloud kicking with the balance board) but I can't complain about DT. That's a great IP that's still relevant and Scrooge's vault is still burned into the minds of the populous.

Oh my god. The world seems persistently dedicated to bombard me with Quack attack nostalgia this week.

Make it like Quack attack, that was an awesome game.

Edit: I never like ducktales much though. I was/am more into the proper comics, by Carl Barks and Don rosa mostly.

Dear Disney:

Cut Square-Enix out of Kingdom Hearts and substitute this man in their place. He actually knows your characters, respects their legacy, and CLEARLY wants to make the most of them where Square wrongly feels they're an inconvenience.

DuckTales! Whoo-hoo!

Yeah, that's about it. I'd play the hell out of this game, Warren.

heh, taking me back years there! Duck tales! Now thats an oldie, but a classic!

DuckTales was the best Disney-produced animation ever not named Gargoyles or W.I.T.C.H. The NES game was, and remains still, awesome (and indeed, the Moon theme is one of the greatest chiptune compositions in the history of music).

If done right, this would be glorious.

FallenTraveler:

Aura Guardian:

But it's a Wii exclusive.

Aura Guardian:

FallenTraveler:

Aura Guardian:

But it's a Wii exclusive.

They are considering to port it to the other Consoles.

Besides that, Fun-Fact time.

In Germany those Scrooge MCDuck is called Dagobert Duck and those three Kids are called Tick, Trick and Track.
Donald is still Donald though.
It has been a while since i have been reading a Lustiges Taschenbuch (Funny Paberback) from Disney. I think they came out here (or are coming out here) like once every month with something like two hundred pages for each book.

The thing is that they got boring after a while and even more boring when i stepped into mangas like battle Angel Alita, with their awesome developing personalitys and dramatic epic storys.
But the mangas became the same shit over and over again, and the drawingstyles got lazy and of a cheap quality compared to my early readings and even good series like Dragonball became abominations of awfull writing. (Sigh)

Holy fruitbats. If buying this game means a modern era Ducktales game will come to be, I'll buy it at launch, I'll buy it a week later, I'll buy it a month later!

Ah such fond memories on my past life. I really really reaaaaaaaally hope he gets thumbs up to go ahead with the ducks, specially if there's a cameo on the grumpy trio uncle.

Carl Barks' Scrooge could kick some serious ass. I love this idea.

Ah such find memories of that show.

GAME ON!!!!!

I can dig it. I enjoyed the Ducktales episodes, and can see a lot of videogame fun to be had there.

Personally I never gave two craps about Micky Mouse, he was a boring little moron, but I loved the Ducks, I grew up reading and watching Duck Tales, hell I still remember the theme song! I also remember the games, they were pretty good.

Give us Duck Tales!

NickCaligo42:
Dear Disney:

Cut Square-Enix out of Kingdom Hearts and substitute this man in their place. He actually knows your characters, respects their legacy, and CLEARLY wants to make the most of them where Square wrongly feels they're an inconvenience.

My thoughts exactly. At the very least include him on the Disney related parts of the game. I was considering getting Epic Mickey. This hasn't 100% convinced me, but the scales of decision sure have tipped.

Duck Tales: My all-time favourite cartoon series! I will now buy Epic Mickey, to ensure this game gets made. I want the Duck Tales love!

My avatar should be enough proof of how awesome I think this game would be :)

John Funk:

DuckTales! Whoo-hoo!

Yeah, that's about it. I'd play the hell out of this game, Warren.

You stole the link right out of my clipboard, Funk. :P

Spector has good taste. Scrooge McDuck is essentially the symbol of the political and ideological philosophy that motivated many of Walt Disney's (the person, not the organisation....although I suppose the two were one and the same at the time he was alive) works. For a developer who loves to include choice and consenquence in his games, it is practically a perfect match.

I hope Disney grants him permission to make a game out of the ducks, beacuse the idea has a lot of merit.

Aquatopia:
As long as he includes the Moon Theme from the original NES game. Or a fancy remix, for cripes' sake.

I can even suggest a good lyricist... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHEgzRtKC5o

Yes yes yes and yes, exactly what I came in to say... except people need to hear the original. That brentalfloss crap doesn't hardly do justice to one of the best NES tunes ever coded:

Aquatopia:

Yes, my friend! Brentalfloss is a legend.

OT: All I really want is a HD remake of Ducktales for the NES.

I am all for this. Wish I had the money to be an investor...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here