Other M Made Metroid Co-Creator Cry

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Other M Made Metroid Co-Creator Cry

Can a game make you cry? If the game is Metroid: Other M, and you're series co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto, the answer is yes.

While each individual game has its own specific nuances, the story in the Metroid series has always been something along the lines of: "You are Samus Aran, you are on a strange planet. Go blow some space pirates up and get item upgrades. Have fun!"

Team Ninja's upcoming Metroid: Other M, on the other hand, is clearly aiming for a more story-driven experience - with over two hours of cutscenes that are compiled into one long watchable movie upon completion of the game. It also features at least one scene that made series co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto well up with tears, according to the latest installment of "Iwata Asks."

Speaking with Nintendo's big boss Satoru Iwata, the game's cutscene director Ryuzi Kitaura discussed how Sakamoto would come watch him shoot live-action motion capture footage for the in-game cinematics. Now, given that it was mere motion capture, it was a rather austere process: "[Since] these were temporary cinematics, we were asking him to shoot things like Samus in tights, or polystyrene creatures, and there was no set to speak of." And yet, even this bare minimum was enough to inspire a bit of emotion.

"[Sakamoto] stood close to me, checking the monitors. When we'd shoot a particularly moving scene, I'd ask him 'How was that, Sakamoto-san?', but he'd be completely silent - again ... I was really worried, thinking 'Oh no, he doesn't like it...', but then when I peeked at his face, his eyes were full of tears."

Sounds moving, right? On the other hand, Kitaura jokingly offered another explanation for the tears: "Well, the cinematic did show Samus in tights."

(Via ONM)

Dawww. I do love seeing a passionate creator :-)

I wasn't sure how the fleshed-out story would shape up for Other M, but it sounds like this is gonna be one great game.

Hey the man is proud of his creation. That's a good thing.

nice. samus in tights.

Ratchet and Clank made me cry. When it was over. I was like seven years old.

Nintendo, moving towards a more detailed narrative style?

Me likey.

Sigh.. Well, I can't put it off any longer.

Time to buy a Wii.

sweet. this game is gonna be hot.

Apparently you can't move around in first person view. If that's the case, the game is completely broken.

FargoDog:
Sigh.. Well, I can't put it off any longer.

Time to buy a Wii.

Yeah. I'm really conflicted now...

Ekonk:
Ratchet and Clank made me cry. When it was over. I was like seven years old.

Same here... same here...

migo:
Apparently you can't move around in first person view. If that's the case, the game is completely broken.

How so?

Oh, thank God. When I read the title, I thought it meant that it was so far against his original creation that it made him cry. Glad it's a good game. I'm still not gonna buy it, but I'm glad it's not raping the franchise as much as the trailer made it appear. It's comforting to know that Sakamoto is still playing some sort of role in the creation of these games.

migo:

That's not really different from playing a game that doesn't offer a first person view, and it's not the first game to disable movement while using the first person perspective. Ocarina of Time did that, and everyone loves that game.

Soylent Bacon:
Oh, thank God. When I read the title, I thought it meant that it was so far against his original creation that it made him cry. Glad it's a good game.

Me too, panic over! Think this might have to be a purchase *dusts off Wii*

Samus in tights could make the Metroid co-creator cry?
Huh.

Huh...Samus in tights made Sakamoto cry...y'know, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

From what I can see, they're basically just floozying Samus up, which is NOT FUCKING COOL.
She is one of the last strong female leads.

John Funk:
Team Ninja's upcoming Metroid: Other M, on the other hand, is clearly aiming for a more story-driven experience - with over two hours of cutscenes that are compiled into one long watchable movie upon completion of the game.

Well, I'd say that story outside of "go to that planet and kill weird aliens" have been around for some time. But maybe that's because I'm one of few who remember Adam from Metroid Fusion. Talking to that bastard probably takes more than 2 hours if you put it all together as well.

Psychosocial:
Well, I'd say that story outside of "go to that planet and kill weird aliens" have been around for some time. But maybe that's because I'm one of few who remember Adam from Metroid Fusion. Talking to that bastard probably takes more than 2 hours if you put it all together as well.

I played that just a few days ago.
Man that's a fun game... Adam isn't fun to talk to, but the rest of the game is fun.

OT: It's THAT GOOD, is it?
Will definitely get it then.

A good story? By Team ninja? WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO?

I'm of the opinion that not every game really needs a story, or at least not some grand wannabe epic. As much as I'm excited for the new Metroid, I have to admit I'm kind of dreading the whole "now with extra story!" thing.

The thing about it is, especially with Metroid, is that for me the Metroid games are about exploring enormous maze-like worlds alone. Super Metroid was kind of the pinnacle of providing this feeling, although Metroid Prime was good at it too.

I didn't like Metroid Fusion much at all, and mostly because of how painfully linear it was compared to the other games. Shoving a story at you via an annoying computer AI was also detrimental to the experience.

I am so glad I recently bought a Wii. Now I'll be ready for this and Skyward Sword. This game looks pretty sweet.

Sounds moving, right? On the other hand, Kitaura jokingly offered another explanation for the tears: "Well, the cinematic did show Samus in tights."

Wait, what was that?

"Well, the cinematic did show Samus in tights."

Sorry, one more time?

"Samus in tights."

*runs off to pre-order*

Hmm Samus in tights, anyone else thinking "There Will Be Brawl" might have been an influence?

I want this game so bad. The gameplay looks great, the story looks interesting, and... Samus + tights. Need I say more?

Do we know these weren't due to the emotion of the cutscenes but instead the sadness of the horrific treatment his franchise is undergoing?

Amazing gameplay featuring first person view, great and touching story, amazing graphics and... Samus in tights... OMG... I'm SO preordering this right now.

Bobic:
Do we know these weren't due to the emotion of the cutscenes but instead the sadness of the horrific treatment his franchise is undergoing?

Does it make a difference?
As long the game is fun it shouldn't matter how the franchise is handled, as long they insert a "press - to skip" feature.

Kiithid:

Bobic:

Does it make a difference?
As long the game is fun it shouldn't matter how the franchise is handled, as long they insert a "press - to skip" feature.

It makes a difference if you're Metroid co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto.

So Team Ninja's new jiggle physics are that good? XD

Hopefully there'll be scope for exploration like in other Metroid games. If the game is mostly action focused, it could take the form of optional challenges. Add a strong storyline and you have a hit.

Good to hear, although there's not much else to say. I am one sad panda because of the lack of Alesia Glidewell, though. I felt that she perfectly portrayed Samus's character in Brawl (what little we knew of it at the time) and the new voice is... eh, too high, too flat, not aggressive enough, and not, if I dare say, sexy enough. Not bad, per say, but... well, we'll see how well it works for 15 hours.

Boo hoo. We have a saying around my parts. If you don't praise your home it'll fall on your head. This seems quite fitting here. Other M's cinematics will probably be made of fail story-wise. I for one am of the opinion that Metroid didn't need this kind of thing, and judging by the relatively recent Metroid manga mr. Sakamoto gave the green light for, my hopes are low indeed.

I do love it how games can make people come to tears, and show real emotion. Shows a real immersion in what your doing...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here