Star Wars Hitting Blu-ray With Unseen Content

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

George Lucas has announced that every Star Wars movie will be released on Blu-ray next year.

Star Wars is what one might call a very popular franchise, and would probably sell if it was re-released as a black and white silent film, so it's surprising that we haven't seen any of the movies released on the high definition Blu-ray format yet. According to George Lucas, he just wanted the format to become more widely adopted first, as he announced today at the Star Wars Celebration V that all six Star Wars films are coming to Blu-ray next year.

And what better to include on the Blu-ray release of Star Wars than deleted scenes that nobody has ever seen before? One such scene from Return of the Jedi was shown to the Celebration's crowd, which shows Luke making his first appearance in the film. Darth Vader reaches out to Luke through the Force, while Luke is shown in a dark robe assembling his lightsaber. It was meant to make viewers wonder if Luke had gone over to the Dark Side, but when he flips on his lightsaber and it glows green they would have known he did not. StarWars.com reports that what makes the scene so "remarkable is that it made it all the way to post-production before it was cut, so it is a rare example of a cut scene with completed visual effects and music."

The Blu-ray releases of Episode IV, V, and VI will not be the original versions, but the remastered special editions. Lucas told the New York Times that to release the original versions would be too expensive, and "kind of an oxymoron because the quality of the original is not very good."

Lucas also said that his team is still working on additional Blu-ray features. The six films will be released as a box set in 2011, though no price has been announced. The deleted scene from Celebration V was uploaded to YouTube (and can be found below), but don't expect it to last forever.

Source: StarWars.com

Cool scene! It might be worth buying, but regrettably I don't have a Blu Ray player.

Edit: First! I know it's frowned upon, but first time I get to say it...

First time you get to say it doesn't justify saying it. Mod.

I would not be surprised if 30 years down the line, Lucas is producing Star Wars re-releases from the grave like Tupac...

The Blu-ray releases of Episode IV, V, and VI will not be the original versions, but the remastered special editions. Lucas told the New York Times that to release the original versions would be too expensive, and "kind of an oxymoron because the quality of the original is not very good."

What the fuck is Lucas talking about?
This is a man who has proved time and time again that he has no fucking clue what his fans want.

So how many re-releases are there now? There's Red, green, black, silver, gold, purple (maybe), any else?

Colonel Alzheimer's:

This is a man who has proved time and time again that he has no fucking clue what his fans want.

I think he means video and sound quality, thus the upgrade to blu-ray to further enhance it.

I'm a bad person and may get flamed for this, but it's the first thing that came to my head when I read the title. (Likely a side effect of the prequel trilogy.)

Tom Goldman:

Dignity?

Colonel Alzheimer's:

Yea I think he just does whatever people don't want him to, all I want is the originals without having to bust out my VCR.

I Loled my ass off when you heard that guy on the vid screaming: "YEAHHH !!!"

Why does everyone hate on the re-mastered editions? He put in a few more ships and that's it. Lucas could at least make it a choice to view the original.

Cody211282:

Colonel Alzheimer's:

Yea I think he just does whatever people don't want him to, all I want is the originals without having to bust out my VCR.

He has a spreadsheet on his computer, whatever leads to the most money is the Lucasarts direction. I'm just going to vote with my wallet.

Nate Corran:
I posted the scene in forums 4 hours ago >.<

What's your point?

Thumper17:
Why does everyone hate on the re-mastered editions? He put in a few more ships and that's it. Lucas could at least make it a choice to view the original.

I was wondering this... I mean, I'm no hardcore fan, I haven't seent he remastered edition, but did he actually change much? Cause I gotta admit, I do get annoyed witht he bad special effects in the original trilogy. Yeah they were good back then, but now they're laughable. Why shouldn't they be fixed up?
OT: Once I get a PS3 I'll probably pick this up.

I'm disappointed that Han still doesn't shoot first.

Nate Corran:
I posted the scene in forums 4 hours ago >.<

I've seen it before, and I'll say it for the mods/news writers. This does not matter. A post in the sea which are these forums from someone such as yourself and my own, means very little on here. A post that actually sees front page, and is a news article, will be written up as news for many more to see. I didn't see your topic, but now I have seen this one. See how it works?

Besides, that means you took it from somewhere else since it was posted as well. What if that person came into your topic and said "Hey, I posted that on Youtube 24 hours ago...".

Just saying.

As for the actual scene, I can't really say I care at all for it, nor do I approve of Lucas milking the shit out of this. As someone else has said, I just want to watch the originals without having to bust out the old VHS system.

brunothepig:

Thumper17:

I was wondering this... I mean, I'm no hardcore fan, I haven't seent he remastered edition, but did he actually change much? Cause I gotta admit, I do get annoyed witht he bad special effects in the original trilogy. Yeah they were good back then, but now they're laughable. Why shouldn't they be fixed up?

There is only one thing I hate about the special editions, so I am not one to be pissed about the lack of ability to watch the original version, and that's adding Hayden Christenson at the end of RotJ. I understand what it means and if the prequels weren't as bad, I may have been okay with it.

What most people have against the special editions is that it really damages the spirit of the original, and I mostly agree, just not to same extent as a lot of people. But what you say about the special effects, sure they aren't good by today's standards, but you know what I think looks worse? That would be seeing useless (or at least unnecessary additions) that are "better" looking effects along with the older effects. That's what are in the special editions: newer looking stuff put into old scenes and not so much making the old effects look better. The older the original effects get, the worse seeing the combination looks imo.

Was that coherent? I am not so sure.

edit: For some actual contribution to the topic at hand. I think he'd probably make just as much if not more money to at least release both original and newest update. Couldn't the original trilogy fit on one bluray? That would sell ridiculously well me thinks. I'd buy it.

edit extravaganza: the post below me says it way better.

Thumper17:

Actually he did more than that.

The issue with the changes he made was that he inserted a lot of extraneous extras into the production, mostly the exact kinds of characters that the fans hate. You have lots of cutesy droids and muppet like creatures moving around the backround, and doing amusing things like bopping each other cartoon style. You look at say the crowd they inserted to the streets of Mos Eisley and that pretty much summarizes it, along with the much parodied "Look Sir, Droids" thing with the Stormtroopers tracking R-2 and C3PO.

The films arguably benefitted from the lack of those things because they detracted from the serious science-fantasy atmosphere that most of the fans wanted. See one of the things that attracted fans was bits like the "Star Destroyer" going by in the very beginning of the movie and chasing down the "Blockade Runner". Compared to other, similar movies of the time the reaction was kind of like "cripes, finally someone who takes this seriously". Adding in all the cartoony and cheezeball stuff detracts from that. He made Mos Eisley seem somewhat playful (before the cantina) as opposed to the kind of place you could get knifed for your shoes.

As a recent article points out though, George Lucas apparently decided that money was the bottom line and the big place to make that money was off of kid-friendly merchandising. The more stuff he puts in the backround, the more action figures of it he can sell, and the less offensive it is, the more likely parents are going to buy it. Some shadowy shanking seriel killer is a less likely purchuse for an 11 year old by his parents than a cutesy droid, a Gungan, or something similar.

People look at the horror that was the elusive "Star Wars Christmas Special", but I tend to think we really see the truth mostly through things like the "Ewok Adventure" movie, and the "Ewoks" cartoon, when he had claimed that the only reason something that offensively cute an jarring to the (then fairly serious) atmosphere was because he didn't have the material for costumes.... he was pretty quick to jump on the kiddie appeal.

Let's be honest, I think he's a good creator, I just think he got very greedy, and never slowed down, causing the integrity of his work to suffer. I'm not sure if he doesn't realize what his fans want, or if he doesn't care so long as he makes every possible dime.

The bottom line though is that his "new" versions of the old movies represent more of a long term marketing possibility. He's probably thinking in terms of an ongoing dynasty after he's gone. He releases the original movies, people now are likely to embrace those and the new ones will die out somewhat. On the other hand if the old fans die out, and new fans come up with those movies there are more things to keep re-releasing figures of, and cutesy stuff he hopes will keep getting kids hooked generation after generation.... or such is my guess, largely based on the fact that he won't release the original versions despite grabbing at every penny he can get (and frankly the suggestion that it would be too expensive to be profitable sort of makes me go 'huh'?).

burningdragoon:

brunothepig:

Thumper17:

There is only one thing I hate about the special editions, so I am not one to be pissed about the lack of ability to watch the original version, and that's adding Hayden Christenson at the end of RotJ. I understand what it means and if the prequels weren't as bad, I may have been okay with it.

What most people have against the special editions is that it really damages the spirit of the original, and I mostly agree, just not to same extent as a lot of people. But what you say about the special effects, sure they aren't good by today's standards, but you know what I think looks worse? That would be seeing useless (or at least unnecessary additions) that are "better" looking effects along with the older effects. That's what are in the special editions: newer looking stuff put into old scenes and not so much making the old effects look better. The older the original effects get, the worse seeing the combination looks imo.

Was that coherent? I am not so sure.

edit: For some actual contribution to the topic at hand. I think he'd probably make just as much if not more money to at least release both original and newest update. Couldn't the original trilogy fit on one bluray? That would sell ridiculously well me thinks. I'd buy it.

It was either coherent, or so incoherent it came full circle. I do understand, I assumed the special editions were touching up the old effects. I can see why new effects amidst the old would just be annoying...

For some reason, with how Vader was saying Luke, I had a picture of Pedo-Bear as Darth Vader, so Pedo-Vader, in my head.

Seriously, that "Luke, Luke," thing was weird.

Mstrswrd:
For some reason, with how Vader was saying Luke, I had a picture of Pedo-Bear as Darth Vader, so Pedo-Vader, in my head.

Seriously, that "Luke, Luke," thing was weird.

I know right? I started laughing a little, I mean seriously;

Luuuuke. Luuuuuuuuuuuuuke.

Funny, I just finished watching Return of the Jedi on Spike, and I gotta say, George Lucas needs to die.

Who the fuck would think it's a good idea to include a new scene involving a singing anteater?
You know, the one in Jaba's palace. Yeah. That one.

The Austin:
Funny, I just finished watching Return of the Jedi on Spike, and I gotta say, George Lucas needs to die.

Who the fuck would think it's a good idea to include a new scene involving a singing anteater?
You know, the one in Jaba's palace. Yeah. That one.

You know what's worse than that. It's been so long since seeing the original RotJ that I do not how that scene originally played... I don't even know if I have actually scene the original RotJ. I know I used to watch A New Hope all the time on VHS when I was younger. And we didn't have copies of the other two... Oh God. I can't be sure!

About damn time.

In other news, George Lucas has realised that nobody has bought a new Star Wars dvd in the last 3 months, so he's releasing an additional minute of footage in the hopes that all the fanboys who must own everything will but it, adding to his cash cow.

Also, the costs involved in this updated release mean that he still doesn't have to pay his actors.

That was a sweet ass scene tbh, don't know why it didn't make the film. I might get this actually because I no longer have my old original trilogy vhs boxset. This would be a nice movie marathon.

The scene seemed pretty extraneous, actually. I can see why it didn't made the final cut.

Other than that..."meh." It's going to be expensive, and nobody sane wants to see the prequels, but...iono, I may go for it if I can just buy a disk with the original 3.

I wouldn't mind seeing the pre-remaster versions of the original trilogy, actually.

Tom Goldman:

And what better to include on the Blu-ray release of Star Wars than deleted scenes that nobody has ever seen before?

The originals instead of the special editions would be far better than deleted scenes =P. Speaking seriously, though, even if that's too expensive, at least give us the option to filter out all or most of the special edition content.

Although that scene was pretty awesome. It really should have been in the movie- not enough people realize how badass Luke is in ROTJ, and this would have helped.

Colonel Alzheimer's:

I read that New York Times blog post and I'm pretty sure that Lucas's comments were pulled from an old interview in which he was discussing the potential release of the DVDs. It really wouldn't make sense to announce a brand new edition and immediately tell people what's NOT going to be on it. Also, why include old crappy deleted scenes, yet say that the pristine footage from the original prints looked too crappy? Shenanigans, I say. Looks like a blogger just trying to stir up some shit and bait fans into a screaming match.

He could have easily pulled quotes from stories from a decade ago in which Lucas discussed releasing "archival editions" with multiple rough cuts and soundtracks on an as yet unannounced high capacity storage medium. One that eventually became what we now call blu ray. Just sayin'.

If lucas puts this in as part of the movie instead of some extra content, I'm going to be pissed. The man has no clue how to properlly make movies... he had other people who knew what they were doing to channel his creativity into good film during the original trilogy, but on his own with full creative freedom, he's clueless.

"Special effects are a tool. A means to tell the story. People have a tendancy to confuse them as the ends themselves. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."
- George Lucas, early 80's (wait, HE said that?)

"I think one of the problems... is the fact that he (Lucas) doesn't have more people around him who really challenge him"
- Gary Kurtz

This had been evident to most of us after TPM released, though I confirmed it when I found a website cataloging deleted scenes from the original trilogy. Irving Kirschner was responsible for rejecting a - get this - Wampa subplot in The Empire Strikes Back. Kirschner probably argued limited time and money couldn't justify an elective and questionable sequence, and he won the argument. Incredible resources and total control fifteen years later, on the other hand, brought us something like the Gungan sea-monkey kingdom.

Dammit, fat man, stop killing the things I love!

Guys, you know those "Limited Edition" versions of the Trilogy? My Target AND Best Buy still have them. Why don't you pick them up? they're the original versions.

George Lucas should of been hit by a Greyhound bus and left dying alone on some nameless highway sometime around 1986 . Think of all we could of avoided. No prequels, the original trilogy wouldn't of been dicked with, and even Indiana Jones may of been saved that horrible fourth movie.

ShadowDude112:
Guys, you know those "Limited Edition" versions of the Trilogy? My Target AND Best Buy still have them. Why don't you pick them up? they're the original versions.

Non-anamorphic laserdisc ports that are in the neighborhood of 30 to 40 bucks a piece. No thank you. Not only sub HD quality, but also sub DVD quality. By the way, after further research, I've concluded my previous post's hypothesis was probably wrong.

zelda2fanboy:

ShadowDude112:

Non-anamorphic laserdisc ports that are in the neighborhood of 30 to 40 bucks a piece. No thank you. Not only sub HD quality, but also sub DVD quality. By the way, after further research, I've concluded my previous post's hypothesis was probably wrong.

They're not 30-40 bucks at my Target and Best Buy anymore.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.