Ant Man Turns Spy in Scott Pilgrim Director's Script

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ant Man Turns Spy in Scott Pilgrim Director's Script

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright says that he is "passionate" about making an Ant Man movie, and that his script has an espionage angle to it.

As superpowers go, shrinking yourself to the size of an insect and having the ability to talk to ants isn't quite in the same league as being able to fly, or having laser vision. Some would say it's not even in the same league as having a sock with a pool ball in it, a power that isn't particularly super at all. Edgar Wright is not one of those people however, and says that in his Ant Man movie, people would get to see just how useful shrinking powers are.

Of course the movie doesn't - and may never - exist, but Wright says he has a script ready, and plans to start working on a second draft soon. In his mind, the reason that shrinking powers seem so lame is that every movie that has depicted them, from Honey I Shrunk the Kinds to The Incredible Shrinking Man depicts the "shrinkee" as being in danger, and rarely shows them changing size voluntarily. His script, on the other hand, is a "high-tech spy heist film with somebody with a very particular power."

Ant Man is the kind of character you can get away with playing around with a little, largely because not a huge number of people know who he is. With so many superhero movies coming out over the next few years, it would make a refreshing change to have one that's just a little bit different.

Source: Vanity Fair via io9

I can't help but feel like they're starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel now.

Ant Man! Like Aquaman but much much worse!

Oh thats AWESOMe! Do you guys know how badass Antman is!?!?

Woodsey:
I can't help but feel like they're starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel now.

They will when they start making Type Face the main villain (his entire schtick is that he throws razor-sharp letters).

The thought of an Ant-Man movie intrigues me and I wish to learn more.

EDIT:

armageddon74400:

Do not confuse with Brave and the Bold AQUAMAN!!, for they are two different types of superhero.

It's Edgar Wright. It will inevitably be good.

Now we just have to prepare for the awkwardness of Ant Man beating most superhero movies out of the park.

Is there no end to the formulaic adventures of Adjective-Man?!

Sounds good to me...this would be greenlighted if i were in hollywood...(only if script was good)

Yeah, Ant Man! That's the one that... did the... thing... and... was... and... nevermind. But who cares, it's Ant Man!

For those of you who hate ant man, you shouldn't if this is based on The Irredeemable Antman then this should be awesome. In that comic it milks the hero unlikeablity by making him the most hated hero in the hero community. Its a humor comic in which antman is recreated as a deplorable douche bag, kind of like a less edgy Always Sunny in Philadelphia super hero. I would love that for the movie and expect it sense wright mixes comedy with other genres.

TheGoldenMan:

Doesnt he beat his wife?

Just sayin.

Actually no, not just saying. Now I would like to see how this plays in the movie, if it does at all.

If it's the Irredeemable Ant-Man, I think the movie has potential.

But if they go with Hank Pym... I dunno. He's already basically a super-villain, even if Marvel doesn't like to label him as such.

Being able to be small and talk to ants wouldn't be that amazing. The most he could ever hope to acheive is causing a minor annoyance at the bi-annual Brotherhood of Mutants picnic in the park.

Yeah, that's the ONE problem with the Avengers Movie concept. There's that one guy. Once they make him Giantman/Yellowjacket, he won't suck... as much.
But if it's Irredeemable, not only is this something I can see Wright doing, but it would actually put a not-so-sucky Antman on the team. Now for responses.

UltimatheChosen:
He's already basically a super-villain, even if Marvel doesn't like to label him as such.

Yes he is. Let's face it, he's done far more harm than good.

Druyn:

Doesnt he beat his wife?

Just sayin.

Actually no, not just saying. Now I would like to see how this plays in the movie, if it does at all.

Yeah, I don't see that being ok'd by Hollywood.

The Great JT:
They will when they start making Type Face the main villain (his entire schtick is that he throws razor-sharp letters).

The thought of an Ant-Man movie intrigues me and I wish to learn more.

Yeah... who would be the villian in the Antman movie?

I am Omega:

Writers who still make him out to be a wife-beating asshole.

Druyn:

TheGoldenMan:

Doesnt he beat his wife?

Just sayin.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the only time I've ever heard of Ant Man was in a comic he was beating and raping his wife, and got kicked out of his superhero group for it.

I guess being a little man was too emasculating so he needed to beat someone.

So what would happen if he jumped in front of a fan, shrank, then once he reached maximum velocity from the air and just before he reached his foe he enlarged to full size?

Would he immediately slow down or would he be able to falcon punch them like a champ?

I would think if you were really skilled at shrinking you could jump into someone's ear and enlarge and really eff them up.

008Zulu:
Being able to be small and talk to ants wouldn't be that amazing. The most he could ever hope to acheive is causing a minor annoyance at the bi-annual Brotherhood of Mutants picnic in the park.

Or he could, you know, command billions of bullet or army ants to utterly ravage every living soul in an enemies compound.

But it's not like there are ants in existence that could kill you without much effort and strip you down like a blast of fire from the sun :P.

The interviewer himself was a complete asshole, openly and consistently mocking Wright for his choice in a comic hero

I am so happy that Ant Man will be getting some spotlight possibly.

Guys, this is Edgar Wright. It will be good. Even if it is just one step down from Aquaman.

I am Omega:

Hank Pym.

EDIT: Damn double post. Sorry.

Shrinking sucks, you say? Well I beg to differ:

armageddon74400:

Hey at least Antman can shrink. And ants are everywhere. And there has never been an Antman game. I think that puts him a bit above Aquaman in the lameometer

I love ant-man. It's true that he's not a really well-written and that his powers are lame, but he is an interesting character none the less.

http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/the-small-problem-of-henry-pym is a good read if you're at all interested in the character.

"I like to think that I'm smarter than the average person, but I can't even keep up with some of my peers when it comes to grades and success. No matter how good I am, I'll never be the best. And Pym embodies that concept. He's not the every man's character, he's the type of character most people would be if they tried their best."

Well, anything concerned the people from Shaun of the Dead will always have my approval! Loved that film!

theultimateend:

008Zulu:

Or he could, you know, command billions of bullet or army ants to utterly ravage every living soul in an enemies compound.

But it's not like there are ants in existence that could kill you without much effort and strip you down like a blast of fire from the sun :P.

The "lethal" ants live in fairly small isolated areas of the planet. As I understand Fire ants are fairly numerous in America, but it's not like he carries a hundred thousand around with him.

Let me guess, a smartass hipster superhero...

maybe he can wear a RAID T-shirt to be ironic

Logan Westbrook:
As super-powers go, shrinking yourself to the size of an insect, and having the ability to talk to ants isn't quite in the same league as being able to fly, or having laser vision. Some would say it's not even in the same league as having a sock with a pool ball in it, a power that isn't particularly super at all.

Well you forget, as a lot of people forget, that An.man retain his normal human strength while in ant form.

And as for an espionage angle:
How about not screwing with superhero origins? huh? could we?

Why does all hero movies have to be "larger than life"?

Hank Pym is the Scientist Supreme, not some James Bond/Jason Bourn wannabie.

Woodsey:

Sounds to me you have no idea who Ant-man is.
He is a founding member of the Avengers, and should be in the Avengers movie if you ask me.

UltimatheChosen:
If it's the Irredeemable Ant-Man, I think the movie has potential.

But if they go with Hank Pym... I dunno. He's already basically a super-villain, even if Marvel doesn't like to label him as such.

How is Hank Pym a Villain? Because he hit his wife ONCE? and has regretted that ever since.

I prsonally like Pym, he was an awesome leader of the Mighty Avengers.

Aurgelmir:

And as for an espionage angle:
How about not screwing with superhero origins? huh? could we?

Why does all hero movies have to be "larger than life"?

Hank Pym is the Scientist Supreme, not some James Bond/Jason Bourn wannabie.

...because then it gives his powers practical uses as well as giving the film itself decent opportunity's for tension and interesting/innovative set pieces.

Aurgelmir:

How is Hank Pym a Villain? Because he hit his wife ONCE? and has regretted that ever since.

I prsonally like Pym, he was an awesome leader of the Mighty Avengers.

So I take it you've never read the Ultimates? Hank Pym beat his wife since they were dating in college, ultimatly putting her in the hospital when during a severe beating she shrinks and hides under a chest of draws, he sprays her with bug-spray then goes down the pub. When Captain America finds out what happened he goes down the pub. Cap beats the snot out of Pym after goading him into turning into giant man.

He also joined the Liberators and fought against the Ultimates when they invaded mainland USA.

Whatever Edgar...you can do Antman.

AS LONG AS YOU DO 'THE WORLDS END' FIRST!

qbanknight:
The interviewer himself was a complete asshole, openly and consistently mocking Wright for his choice in a comic hero

I didn't like him full spot. Maybe my view of people in the media and video games have become biased, but he seemed to be generally mocking.

Jbird:
Shrinking sucks, you say? Well I beg to differ:

...I was so going to joke about this until i saw your post.

And who knows it might be that bad. If they would make a movie.

Evilsanta:
...I was so going to joke about this until i saw your post.

And who knows it might be that bad. If they would make a movie.

I for one am looking forward to an Ant-Man film written and directed by Edgar Wright. I think that's the part most people are forgetting.

I recall in an interview that Wright did a while back where he talked about how Ant-Man could incorporate shrinking while he fought. Aside from the fact that he retains his human-sized strength when he's small, he can shrink from an incoming punch and then grow back to counter. Plus, to everyone bringing up the wife beating, there was another man who literally stole the mantle from Hank Pym; and he was Scott Lang, a reformed thief-turned-hero.

In the same interview, Wright talked about using both characters who donned the Ant-Man persona for both origins. Sadly, it won't be a part of Marvel's film continuity, but then again it may help it, so that it isn't bogged down with multiple tie-ins.

I may be setting myself up for disappointment by enforcing that Wright is on this project, that he chose no less. But who knows? Ant-Man may, by a stroke of luck, become a sleeper-hit.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here