Bungie Fills Halo: Reach With Assassinations

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bungie Fills Halo: Reach With Assassinations

There will be stabbing in Halo: Reach, lots and lots of stabbing.

There are days that blasting a guy with a Needler or zapping him with the Spartan Laser just isn't satisfying enough, but have no fear, because Bungie has you covered with the inclusion of dozens of assassinations in the upcoming Halo: Reach. The assassinations in Reach are performed by holding the melee button down behind an opponent, which triggers a short animation where the camera pulls back to a third-person view, and the target is killed in some elaborate way.

In a post on the Bungie community blog, Eric "Urk" Osborne said that the assassinations that had appeared in the Reach beta had been just a small sampling, and the animators had included over forty in the final product, with most designed with multiplayer in mind, but a few that are exclusive to the game's campaign mode. Osborne also said that the assassinations were context sensitive and would depend not only on your position relative to your target, but also on the weapon in your hand.

As the assassinations are nothing but showboating, I can see them being the cause of a great deal of rage quitting as people grow weary of getting repeatedly stabbed in the neck. But for those Halo fans who wanted to add a little spice to their multiplayer experience, this seems ideal.

Source: Eurogamer

I may just get this game now..

Hmmmm, I can also see this possibly leading to a lot of unnecessary deaths too, just like in Gears when you get the animation for chainsawing someone, theres usually someone else behind you waiting to strike once its over.

Seems like a reasonable addition so long as its not too easy to pull off. A reward for being able to sneak up behind another player without them noticing is pretty standard. For one I don't object to it

well, it can't hurt the value, can it?

I'll be skeptical about this. Last time a game had assassinations like this online was in AvP, and it ended up with people doing it all the time, even in situations where it was dumb, like when they grab a guy surrounded by 2 others, which guarantees death.

It's nice that they are incorporating Microsoft's corporate culture in the game. :P

So, it's a bit like TF2's taunt kills, then?

Is one of them by any chance that thing Sarge did to Grif in the Halo: Reach PSA of Red vs. Bhue?

I just hope assassinations don't make people invincible for the duration of the assassination, and that it's impossible when you're under fire.

Stone Wera:
I just hope assassinations don't make people invincible for the duration of the assassination, and that it's impossible when you're under fire.

If it's like in the Beta then they are possible whilst under fire, but if you kill someone while they're performing one then you can save the guy who is being assasinated.

Stone Wera:

Funnily enough a friendly fire incedent actually saved me from an assassination in the beta.

OT:The amount of failed assassination attempts will be hilarious.

Hubilub:
I'll be skeptical about this. Last time a game had assassinations like this online was in AvP, and it ended up with people doing it all the time, even in situations where it was dumb, like when they grab a guy surrounded by 2 others, which guarantees death.

ahh yes the "Train of death" a long winded cinimatic death followed by being back camped by some other guy, whom in turn is typicly going to cinimaticly assasinate you when your done caressing the spine of the human you just killed....lame times...la~me times... don't think that will happen much tho considering the Reach stabbings take what 1.8 seconds to AVP's pretentious like...6-8 seconds?

Curtisthekiller:

Hubilub:

ahh yes the "Train of death" a long winded cinimatic death followed by being back camped by some other guy, whom in turn is typicly going to cinimaticly assasinate you when your done caressing the spine of the human you just killed....lame times...la~me times... don't think that will happen much tho considering the Reach stabbings take what 1.8 seconds to AVP's pretentious like...6-8 seconds?

Hopefully the "Hold the button down for some time" aspect will make it so that it's harder to do assassinations on anybody who is moving. As long as I don't get a 5 people train of death in Reach I'm happy

As pointed above many things can go wrong with a assassination animation. I`m looking forward to seeing how exactly it`s going to look in the final product given the fact, that most likely, Bungie has foreseen the same issues.

I don't care. What's the point of the assassinations if simply meleeing your enemy will do? Of course, I don't get the appeal of fatalities either, so I guess I'm not the right person to ask about this.

wooty:
Hmmmm, I can also see this possibly leading to a lot of unnecessary deaths too, just like in Gears when you get the animation for chainsawing someone, theres usually someone else behind you waiting to strike once its over.

You can kill them mid assassination, moreover you can in fact save your teammate if you kill them fast enough. But thats the risk of trying to do the special moves (they are entirely optional, you can just beat them like in the old games)

wooty:

Hence the good old saying "His loss, my gain".

I think that these will get old really fast in multi player, but still it sounds awesome.

Man that sounds cool. I admit though, I always screwed up the assassinations. Still the animations looked great, especially when the Elite grabs another by the neck, pulls him back and then stabs him in the throat. That was awesome.

I can't wait to see what other kind of Elite based assassinations there are in store for the Spartans to have to face... MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA.... I should probably get a job.

Awesome. I just hope they solved that issue in the beta where assassinations had a tendency to lag like hell.

And it still wont be as stab happy as MW2. Thankfully.

So...the standard "one melee" to the back is no longer lethal? You have to use this animation to assassinate?

wooty:

That happened to me in the beta every time I accidentally assassinated someone. Punching is faster and a lot more reliable.

Vrex360:
Man that sounds cool. I admit though, I always screwed up the assassinations. Still the animations looked great, especially when the Elite grabs another by the neck, pulls him back and then stabs him in the throat. That was awesome.

I can't wait to see what other kind of Elite based assassinations there are in store for the Spartans to have to face... MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA.... I should probably get a job.

Elites are indeed more badass than Spartans. Too bad we can't tear it up in regular playlists with the Elites =(

So long as it doesn't have the AvP problem

"Hey look, that guy is killing that other guy, I'll just line up ready to kill him as soon as the animation is done"

Hey, I'm basically buying this game because of the kick ass assassination animations. (3 "asses" in a row!)
Hearing that Bungie have put in heaps of them is great news for me.

uhm... isnt this old news?
as in, year old?
or am i just psycic?

Onyx Oblivion:
So...the standard "one melee" to the back is so longer lethal? You have to use this animation to assassinate?

You mean no* right?
If so.
It is still lethal, and you can do it instead making a "train of death" and save your teammate.
I got a bit pissed when a teammate wanted the glory kill, so he left me to die and then take the kill, whereas i never did the same.

Funny mention but. I like when you pick off the entire team from behind with all assassinations. Its really satisfying.

But yea, i am looking forward to this for the LAN games and the fun i will have doing this to friends.
Who won't be friends for that night... and maybe afterwards too :P

This sounds exactly like the 'special kills' from Aliens vs Predator 3. And everyone knows how well that worked out.

tlozoot:

Vrex360:

Elites are indeed more badass than Spartans. Too bad we can't tear it up in regular playlists with the Elites =(

I know, it does kind of suck.
Still, we'll always have Invasion, and Firefight Versus, and the custom games like SVE and Covenant Slayer.
That helps a little.

Looks a little game breaking. I'll wait to see how it plays out.

Onyx Oblivion:
So...the standard "one melee" to the back is so longer lethal? You have to use this animation to assassinate?

I think you can still do both. Like if you just want to make it quick you just have to hit the button once but if you really want to hone it in you can make the assassinations more intense.
Admittedly though in the beta I never figured out the trick to that so I mostly just mashed the button in mad panic and so often I just brutally whacked some poor schmuck with the butt of my plasma repeater.

Onyx Oblivion:

Nope, still lethal. But you can use the assassination for extra mockery. And then teabag your opponent anyway.

The one thing that surprised me about the beta was that the assassinations never got old. Hopefully it'll stay that way!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.