Bungie Fills Halo: Reach With Assassinations

Pages PREV 1 2

nelsonr100:
Seems like a reasonable addition so long as its not too easy to pull off. A reward for being able to sneak up behind another player without them noticing is pretty standard. For one I don't object to it

Its not easy to pull off, and theres a good chance, even though you got lucky enough to be behind them and melee them, you might just punch them dead instead.

ive seen some of the animations and they are pretty dam good, who wouldnt want to impale someone on a sword hoist them in the air and then slam them on the ground

Vrex360:
Man that sounds cool. I admit though, I always screwed up the assassinations. Still the animations looked great, especially when the Elite grabs another by the neck, pulls him back and then stabs him in the throat. That was awesome.

I can't wait to see what other kind of Elite based assassinations there are in store for the Spartans to have to face... MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA.... I should probably get a job.

hers one!
skip forward to 9:40

lijenstina:
It's nice that they are incorporating Microsoft's corporate culture in the game. :P

ROFLMAO!!!!! Well said!!!!!

How exactly is this news? This has been common knowledge for anyone who has seen the first gameplay videos, or played in the beta.

imnotparanoid:

Vrex360:
Man that sounds cool. I admit though, I always screwed up the assassinations. Still the animations looked great, especially when the Elite grabs another by the neck, pulls him back and then stabs him in the throat. That was awesome.

I can't wait to see what other kind of Elite based assassinations there are in store for the Spartans to have to face... MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA.... I should probably get a job.

hers one!
skip forward to 9:40

Awesome. I love that, impaling a puny human and splattering his ruin onto the cold ground below. Heil the Sangheili.

lijenstina:
It's nice that they are incorporating Microsoft's corporate culture in the game. :P

Ohhhh! I felt thaty all the way over here!

And of course it iwll be melee happy...how else will anyone ever get kills? Always so cheap!

Just as verification, They arent just for showboating, it takes 2 melee attacks to take down a fully shileded opponent in reach, but only one assassination, so its a far more reliable way to kill someone, on the downside someone can assassinate you when you do one, its a very well balanced game enhancement, so i doubt many people will rage quit because they are justified

What assasination animation would you like best?

For me, if you have the sprint loadout you should be able to run up to people and just drop kick them across the map. Something like this:

but from behind like this

Airsoftslayer93:
Just as verification, They arent just for showboating, it takes 2 melee attacks to take down a fully shileded opponent in reach, but only one assassination, so its a far more reliable way to kill someone, on the downside someone can assassinate you when you do one, its a very well balanced game enhancement, so i doubt many people will rage quit because they are justified

Melee from behind is still 1 hit kill....

Airsoftslayer93:

A single melee to the back (without holding down the button) is still an instant kill, just like in all the other games.

So, yes, it is just showboating.

The only use I found for assassinations was keeping myself alive, because if some dumbass during a team game decided to use a fancy assassination on me then one of my team mates could come up behind him, twat him one with a simple b attack and I'd be saved and he'd be dead.

Flashy but impractical if you ask me.

It was fun when you pulled it off. But as others have said, it makes you a target. I killed a lot of people who were performing the assassinations.

The only time I really ended up doing it was if I was in stealth mode and my target was all alone... yep, fun stuff.

The way to deal with ragequitters is to make the game awesome and fun for everyone. It's not about being good enough to enjoy the game. It's that exclusionary bent that only the person who wins deserves to have fun... it's that compulsion we as online gamers have that drives me up the wall.

That's why I promote Blur as a fun game, regardless of what place you come in.

And that's why assassinations are great. Even if you lost, you can get one solid assassination in and feel good about yourself.

............Bungie outdoes them self once again.
Tell me when they add something to Halo that's even remotely creative, original, or fun.

Sounds absolutely awesome. The assassinations in the beta were fun.

Can't wait to see what they have in the full game.

I can imagine that getting repetitive and annoying very quickly.

You know, kind of like the entire Halo franchise in general.

So long people ragequit because you basically kicked their asses from behind and they weren't smart enough to turn around 180 degrees frequently to make sure they aren't followed, I am fine with that one.

Gears of War 2 is one big ass party when it comes to T-bagging and humilating your enemy infront of their comrades as they are the last surviver down on their knees whilst 5 raging A-holes are bumping up and down on him before being butchered by some eloborate animation. Either way, sounds interesting for me.

Onyx Oblivion:
So...the standard "one melee" to the back is no longer lethal? You have to use this animation to assassinate?

No you don't have to use the animation. One melee to the spine will still kill them, its just meant to be used if you want to add insult to injury.

LolHalo!

I'd rather use the T-bag in competitive custom games, not something which can hinder you and your teams performance.

Vrex360:

Onyx Oblivion:
So...the standard "one melee" to the back is so longer lethal? You have to use this animation to assassinate?

I think you can still do both. Like if you just want to make it quick you just have to hit the button once but if you really want to hone it in you can make the assassinations more intense.
Admittedly though in the beta I never figured out the trick to that so I mostly just mashed the button in mad panic and so often I just brutally whacked some poor schmuck with the butt of my plasma repeater.

You have to hold the melee button down to assassinate.

Hubilub:
I'll be skeptical about this. Last time a game had assassinations like this online was in AvP, and it ended up with people doing it all the time, even in situations where it was dumb, like when they grab a guy surrounded by 2 others, which guarantees death.

The assassinations in Reach are performed by holding the melee button down behind an opponent, which triggers a short animation where the camera pulls back to a third-person view, and the target is killed in some elaborate way

So...watch the ZP Review of AvP and skip to Predator Rundown

I can already see this being a ragefodder:

SpartanI goes for Kill on SpartanIX
-Massive Dramatic Kill-
BOOOOM HEADSHOT
SpartanI Headshot by SpartanXII

it's a risk, but it's awesome
execute with caution

They'll all become paranoid, like in TF2, and the Engie's paranoia of spies.....this might be funn...

Score one for the boxers.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or