US Snatches Pokemon World Championship from Japan

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Julianking93:
Ha! I knew one could not resist!

Also, I'm loving that gif.

Another contender for new avatar has just been added!

Already stole it from this person.

Optimystic:

Not G. Ivingname:

John Funk:
Snip

THE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

And a terrible sequel...

And another sequel...

And a cartoon...

And a bad television series...

And a direct to TV film...

And an anime...

Wait, what were we talking about?

Edit: The pokemon thing... right... umm... congradulations I guess?

Great, you made me snort coke on my keyboard. D:

Excuse me?

NEW JERSEY! WOOHOO! Now we have guidos, smog, and POKEMON!

Anyway, I never got into the competitive battling. For some reason, grinding out levels is fine for me, but grinding IVs/EVs is absolute torture.

Naheal:

Julianking93:

Already stole it from this person.

Ah, damn it!

Oh well. Still funny avatar though

Julianking93:

Naheal:

Damnit, Julian!

...gotta...catch...

O.o; What?

Julianking93:

Oh well. Still funny avatar though

Edit: Phew!

Not G. Ivingname:

Excuse me?

I meant that your post was funny. (If one laughs while drinking a beverage, it can sometimes exit through unplanned orifices.)

Optimystic:

Not G. Ivingname:

Excuse me?

I meant that your post was funny. (If one laughs while drinking a beverage, it can sometimes exit through unplanned orifices.)

Oh, it just how you worded "I snorted coke on my desktop" sounded like it was... something else.

Pretty interesting. I am slightly surprised that the winner wasn't some older dude who has been playing Pokemon since "Red" and training intensely for this day through every edition or something....

All I can say is "Booyah" America, and that it's kind of neat that they have a world championship for this.... I don't play Pokemon really, so I had no idea.

Not G. Ivingname:

John Funk:
Snip

THE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

And a terrible sequel...

And another sequel...

And a cartoon...

And a bad television series...

And a direct to TV film...

And an anime...

Wait, what were we talking about?

Haha, Spoony.

can someone please tell me in detail why nobody used a team that you would actually play the game with? I mean seriously, My little brother owns pokémon platinum with all 3 starters, Giritina,haunter and I think he ported over a blaziken and he could probably beat them

USA!!! USA!!!! FTW. God pokemon gets my blood going.

I wonder if pedobear was also 'visiting' Hawaii for the tournament.

Reporter: So you have just won the world pokemon championship. What are you going to do now?
Champ: Well I have to fly home today. I got the early shift at Jack in the Box tomorrow.

Sorry. I just had to.

Anyway I personally kinda find the topic title to be quite sad. all "US TAEKS JAPANS CHAMPSHIP!!! LOL"
Was the guy actually trained and funded by any sort of US organisation? Because if not then his nationallity is irrelevant. Trying to give the credit to the US when it was just one mans win and his alone.

Josh12345:
can someone please tell me in detail why nobody used a team that you would actually play the game with? I mean seriously, My little brother owns pokémon platinum with all 3 starters, Giritina,haunter and I think he ported over a blaziken and he could probably beat them

Because when playing the game against the computer, all you want is a team of six sweepers (fast, hard-hitting guys). In the competitive game, six sweepers is a quick way to losing because players can predict and outthink you in a way that the AI never can.

Why was I not informed of this sooner!? Now I want to go to this and hopefully can next year.

wordsmith:
Normal games need 6 sweepers (pokes that hit hard and have a high HP/Defence combo)

Actually that would be tanks. Sweepers have high Attack/Sp. Attack combined with a high Speed.

El_Moss:

wordsmith:
Normal games need 6 sweepers (pokes that hit hard and have a high HP/Defence combo)

Actually that would be tanks. Sweepers have high Attack/Sp. Attack combined with a high Speed.

Typically, although for a few attacks/Pokemon, they want to attack second. Or Trick Room could be up. But, yeah. A good team would ideally use a mix of Sweepers, Tanks, and Walls. Look at me, speaking like Pokemons a sport =P

Ive been big into the competitive crowd, and Im kinda happy to see the USA grab the championship. Pokemon is my favorite series, it mixes friendliness with deep strategy. Not many games can pull off a game that offers a challenge to kids and adults; yet I still struggle with the Elite 4 on a new playthrough.

This is the first step. We got Pokemon, lets go for Soccer next, speed eating second, and finish it off with rebounding the economy. USA, USA.

The cute Pokemon graphics clash beautifully with all the kids wearing grim poker faces.

YEEEEEAAAH 'MERICA WINS AGAIN!!!

Sorry, just had to express my patriotism.

Not G. Ivingname:

Optimystic:

Not G. Ivingname:

Excuse me?

Oh, it just how you worded "I snorted coke on my desktop" sounded like it was... something else.

That's why I said "keyboard" rather than "desktop." :P

Uh... double post, sorry.

Yeah, we showed Japan up by beating them at a children's card game!

You know, I've never liked competitive gaming, since it's mainly been socially maladjusted dullards trying to squeeze the fun out of games, but Pokemon has always to me been the worst, since it takes the great casual system of pokemon and turns it into an aggressive environment of psuedo-legendaries and abusive metagaming taking the colorful diverse world and reducing it to the 6 competitive entries.

Enjoy your victories you joyless freaks, my Snowlass may not be in your tier, but she's cooler than all yall.

...Really? I would be considered as a senior in that?! ...wow.

the senior division contains those born after 1997? wow, thats ridiculous!

Optimystic:

Not G. Ivingname:

Optimystic:

Not G. Ivingname:

Excuse me?

That's why I said "keyboard" rather than "desktop." :P

But you still can see where my confusion came from.

The DSM:

"I challenge you to a childrens card game!"

And where did this take place?

"In America!"

Marter:
I...don't get it.

Why wouldn't they just use Shoddy Battle, instead of having to fly to a certain location?

Congrats to the winner. I'll be facing you someday! *evil laugh*

Because the article failed to mention that the world championships are actually double battles, and shoddy doesn't support that yet. On a related note that means all those talking about 6 pokemon for this are a bit off.

The fact that it's double battles always bugged me, since I know nothing about the doubles metagame. Oh well.

... and the world at large cares WHY!?!

Ray Rizzo, he wanted to be the very best, like no one ever was. To catch them was his real test, to train them was his cause. He traveled across the land, searching far and wide. And he did it. I feel like my childhood is coming back to me now.

John Funk:
There's an incredibly deep and strategic game beneath the surface

They're all kids...

*damn quote system mesed up* /rage

The DSM:
The woman talking over it sounds bored out of her skull, she sounds like shes about to fall asleep.

There are so many chances to make Yugioh abridged references so ill make one.

"I challenge you to a childrens card game!"

I accept you challenge...IN AMERICA! (lol I love the Yugioh abridged series.)

I am amazed at the knowledge of the game necessary to be successful at a high level in pokemon. It is nice to see how a game can be very accessible to new players on the surface but still provide a constant challenge for the veterans as well.

This is why I still the play the games, pretty deep complex RPG elements to use against each other.

Damura:

John Funk:
There's an incredibly deep and strategic game beneath the surface

They're all kids...

You've obviously never played any of the new ones.

Erana:
The difference is that in Japan, when you're geeky, its socially acceptable as long as you persue your interests with a noble passion. In America, you have to fight tooth-and-nail, because the more you get into something, the more it makes you a social minority. And America doesn't like minorities.

I love you now.

Jiraiya72:

Caliostro:
...People do competitive world Pokemon games...?

...This is a whole new level of sad...

I hope for their sake the game has evolved something since red and blue (which honestly doesn't seem like). Back then it was all about having a level 100, then being the first to play.

Perhaps you should do research before going off on something you have no idea about. Even in John's article he hinted at the depth of the games. Why is it sad? When is the last time you went to a world championship, for ANY type of game or sport?

thank you for putting him in his place.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or