Heavy Rain Creator Praises Sony's "Balls"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Heavy Rain Creator Praises Sony's "Balls"

Quantic Dream's David Cage believes his success with Heavy Rain is thanks to Sony's willingness to take risks above other publishers.

PlayStation 3 exclusive Heavy Rain, which blurs the line between videogame, movie, and cabinet-opening simulator, is the type of product that the world hasn't really seen before. The game's visionary, David Cage, says that the only reason it was able to become a "commercial success" was because Sony had enough "balls" to take a risk on the Quantic Dream developed product.

Speaking at GDC Europe 2010 (via Edge), Cage stated that it's time for the videogame industry to break out of the same game design rules it has been following for "25 years." He wants new ideas to invade the market, but thinks it isn't going to happen because the industry's publishers are too conservative. Other than Sony, that is.

"Publishers in general don't have balls," he said. "That's a fact. They want a safe bet. They look at what was successful last year, and ask you to do the same. You need to give them reasons to trust you... With a game like Heavy Rain, it comes together very late. If I showed you the alpha of Heavy Rain, you'd probably kill it and say that it would never happen. Many publishers would have killed that game at that stage. Sony didn't."

Because Sony was willing to take a risk to publish Heavy Rain, Quantic Dream was able to develop Cage's vision. Cage knows the market is ready for new ideas like his, revealing: "Very few developers take risks, or have opportunities to do so. But the market is ready for that ... now I can say that for sure. Heavy Rain is a commercial success, which is something that nobody at Sony or [Quantic Dream] expected, to be honest with you."

Whether you enjoy the game or not, Heavy Rain is something different that wouldn't have been properly funded by a publisher that didn't want to take a risk. In this instance, the risk paid off and as Cage says, Heavy Rain was a success. We definitely do need publishers with "balls" so that we can see new types of games being developed, but at the same time I can't blame a company for not wanting to funnel millions, or even tens of millions of dollars into a game to only go under when it doesn't reach an audience. It really does take balls to risk that kind of investment.

Source: Edge

I would like you to know that the title is a bit misleading.

Well, I dont think it was so much of a risk, as a gamble. I think it was a good one, and, I am glad Sony decided to take it on board.

But, overall...I think they saw the gap in the market, and took it~

This is starting to feel like Cracked.com, what with the multiple mentions of unmentionables.

Anyway, this could either lead to a more innovative market or a slew of Heavy Rain sequels and rip-offs.
I'm banking on the latter, unfortunately.

And it's because of this willingness to take such risks that makes Sony a top competitor. Sony has a game about FLOWERS and it did very well.

Tom Goldman:
Snip

Yeah, Heavy Rain represents for us something that we really needed, a risk that was a hit. It has no space marines, not a first or third person shooter. It has nothing but story to latch onto, and it sold.

It's a shame this game was a PS3 exclusive though, as I would have liked to have tried it, hopefully something similar will be released for the 360 soon...

Well, i'm glad Sony had the "balls" to publish this game, it was a very good game and it sold well. I just hope more publishers/developers take a few more risks instead of just playing it safe and releasing FPS's over and over.

And so do I, because I absolutely loved Heavy Rain.
Say what you will about Sony, but the fact that they financed the game puts them really high among fellow publishers.
I refer you to the situation with Brutal Legend and Activision.

Well I say this makes sense. I'm just glad that my PS3 has allowed me to play 'oddities' and flower. And I love both those games.

Aku_San:
Sony has a game about FLOWERS and it did very well.

Agreed. God I love Flower. So unique and relaxing to play...

Experimental titles being successful is always a good thing. Sony's balls are huge, and I salute them for that. Unlike some others *cough* *cough*

I just like Sony's approach to it's gaming division more than most other companies. Even with the launch of an expensive console, they allowed many of their developers to start new IP, and continue to work on that IP, rather than sticking with just the stuff everyone is familiar with.

I've actually seen Sony criticized regarding this, as it may have impacted their hardware momentum in the early stages. But, I personally like the diversity of games they've been launching.

im quite amused by the title...

ot: let it be a example for other big companies, risk often=succes

JoJoDeathunter:
It's a shame this game was a PS3 exclusive though, as I would have liked to have tried it, hopefully something similar will be released for the 360 soon...

I had the same hiccup, having played Fahrenheit on PC already, I was excited for Heavy Rain and was going to buy it. Not to be unfortunately, I hope they port it, but it's probably not likely.

Plus, Quantic is apparently making a sequal to Omikron: The Nomad Soul which is also tentatively PS3 exclusive, I'll be a sad panda if that doesn't change.

That titles very misleading i was expecting the thred to be about something completlely differnt and i thought heavy rain was pretty rubbish myself.

Mirror's Edge was similar, wasn't it? Who took the risk on that one?

As Scarface would say: "you have big fuckin' Cojones !"

i just hope they still encourage that kind of artistic/indie games...

Haha, Quantic Dreams developes for Sony because they love Sony's balls. So. Much. Innuendo.

You really got to admire sony's "balls" when they produce something that is bound to become a mega-hit.

Yeah, Sony has been known for developing new IP's.

Seriously, there's less sequels for Sony titles than anywhere else. Save for maybe Ratchet and Clank, but Ratchet and Clank kick all sorts of ass.

Though I wager I would be friggin' bored of the game because all the people who played it so far only explained it in such dull manner that I lose interest in the conversation constantly.

Yet I am happy Sony is pushing out new IP's more often. Activision could learn a thing or two from them, seriously.

lacktheknack:

Heavy Rain is an interactive movie that mixes quick time events and some minor puzzle solving with a plot kind of like a mix of Silence of the Lambs and Saw.

Mirror's Edge is a first-person parkour sim with a little kung fu and shooting and a generic "_______ is bad, fight ________" plot.

Not to bash Mirror's Edge, because I liked it quite a bit, but it really wasn't THAT monumental a risk for EA.

lacktheknack:

EA. Same as they did with Brutal Legend.
and yeah, neither of which were a true risky product. Odd, yeah, not exactly used much, well yeah, but nothing nearly as risky as Heavy Rain.

+1 kudos to sony then, now just put party chat in your online service!

The Hairminator:
You really got to admire sony's "balls" when they produce something that is bound to become a mega-hit.

Bound to become a mega-hit my ass.

Heavy Rain's predecessor, Indigo Prophecy, didn't do too well critically or commercially, and remains solidly a cult classic. Sony took a major risk, there, bud.

I want to play the Move version :) I mean, it's a QTE game, fits great to me.

To paraphrase Yahtzee: "you're already being prompted to mash buttons with the response time of a paranoid gnat."

what?

David cage is giving thanks because it was an exclusive?!?!? somebody needs to slap him. HARD!

perhaps it was on the two next gen consoles plus PC (sorry Wii, you're going have to do without) the game might've been a bigger success rather than given in to Sony's monopoly.

Fahrenheit was good(ish) however it wasn't the best.

sony has a long history of taking chances microsoft will not take. without sony i doubt you would have seen little big planet either, metal gear solid, gran turismo, all games that were generally seen as fail when they were proposed but sony picked them up and ran with tham and looked what happened. pushing the envelope and not just pumping out a stream of fps and action games makes sony a far more interesting publisher than microsoft.

(BWM) T-O-M:
That titles very misleading i was expecting the thred to be about something completlely differnt and i thought heavy rain was pretty rubbish myself.

whether you think it's rubbish or not doesn't matter. This proves that the big seven publishing giants of the gaming world (Sony, MS, Nintendo, EA, Activision, Take-Two and Square Enix) need to push the envelope.

personally, I loved Heavy Rain, but if you didn't, that;s okay too. It was something unlike any other gaming experience I've ever had, and I want to be able to say that at least once a year now, regardless of the platform it's on.

Kudos to Quantic Dream, and kudos to Sony.

more FMA games we need....not......

Heh. Playing the game of life.

And my next question for Mr. Cage, how does Sony's baby batter taste?

Now that I think about it, if I had to give one reason as to why I'm such a huge Sony fanboy (#1 on this site, thankyouverymuch!) it would have to be the fact that they support the little guy.

It's pretty much true, Sony has put their money on a lot of risky IPs, some of them not even successful. I mean, really, neither ICO nor Shadow of the Collosus were commercial successes, infact they sold quite poorly, and yet they still support Team ICO with "The Last Guardian". And say what you will about Heavy Rain, you cannot deny that it was a huge risk for both Sony and Quantic Dream to push out. I personally loved Heavy Rain, despite it's flaws, and it has placed Quantic Dream in my "Top Developers to Support" list.

Unlike some developers *coughcoughActivisioncoughcough*

similar.squirrel:
This is starting to feel like Cracked.com, what with the multiple mentions of unmentionables.

Anyway, this could either lead to a more innovative market or a slew of Heavy Rain sequels and rip-offs.
I'm banking on the latter, unfortunately.

(I'm just ranting here, probably not even relevant, not trying to flame you)

I find that train of thought interesting. I've seen it before, the main excuse that some people use when not supporting games like Heavy Rain/Mirror's Edge/SotC/etc... (I.E. innovative ones) is;

"They aren't 100% good games, so if they succeed then other publishers will just take the crappy parts and roll with them!"

Really, that doesn't make a lick of sense. If you support innovation, then the innovation will grow. People aren't just going to take that and push out whateverthehell they can with similarities to the original innovation (though there certainly would be games that do that). Heavy Rain's success proves that you can make a story-driven, unique game that's not an FPS with blood and gore and titties and still be a success. People aren't going to look at it and say "Gee, I wonder how we can profit off this!" they'll look at it and say "Gee, how can we improve upon this?"

Then again, I'm much too hopeful for humanity...

sorry if I didn't make sense, I was mainly rambling...

Jumplion:

Heavy Rain's success proves that you can make a story-driven, unique game that's not an FPS with blood and gore and titties and still be a success.

To be fair, it did have all of those last three qualities. Not too much on the gore, but definitely blood and same topless stuff.

But it was a big risk. And I'm glad Sony took it; Heavy Rain was an incredibly refreshing game.

Now, if only they would push the whole innovation thing to the next level with other IPs...

Timbydude:

Jumplion:

Heavy Rain's success proves that you can make a story-driven, unique game that's not an FPS with blood and gore and titties and still be a success.

To be fair, it did have all of those last three qualities. Not too much on the gore, but definitely blood and same topless stuff.

But it was a big risk. And I'm glad Sony took it; Heavy Rain was an incredibly refreshing game.

Now, if only they would push the whole innovation thing to the next level with other IPs...

That is true, but to be even fair-er-er to it, the blood/gore and nudity were only used when appropriate and used with subtlety. For example, while they could have shown Ethan chopping off his own finger in "The Lizard" trial, but instead the camera pans away from the act with only his screams being heard after the *chop* sound. It's just as powerful, if not even more, when the action is implied. As gamers we see heads exploding all the time, but for me, and many others, when I had to basically force Ethan to chop his finger I was cringing and regretful of the decision.

The big thing to note is that the blood/gore/tits were not the selling points for Heavy Rain compared to other games. Remember this little gem?

But overall, I completely agree with you. Heavy Rain was a huge risk and it payed off. I personally loved the game despite it's flaws, and like I said earlier, Quantic Dream is on my "Developers to Support" list.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here