Rumor: Rage to Use Steamworks

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Rage to Use Steamworks

Rage is a game made by id, published by Bethesda, and if rumors are to be believed, protected from pirates by Valve.

DRM is such a divisive issues that no matter what you do, someone is going to be unhappy with you. As DRM goes though, Valve's Steamworks is one of the best around, and it's rumored that id Software's Rage will be joining the Steamworks stable when it's released next year.

The rumors center around the appearance of a page for the game on the Steam store. The page is hardly conclusive evidence by itself, but when combined with the fact that Fallout: New Vegas and Brink - two other Bethesda published games - will also use the system, along with lead designer Matt Hooper's comments that gamers would be pleased by Rage's DRM solution, it certainly suggests that the system is at least a likely contender.

Hooper said that the announcement about the DRM would come when id talked about the game's multiplayer, but didn't reveal exactly when that would be. As part of Steamworks is access to the Steam infrastructure - which would include friends lists and voice chat - combining the two into a single announcement could be considered another sign that Rage will use the system, but until Bethesda decided to unveil it, we won't know for sure.

Rage is scheduled for release for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on September 13th, 2011.

Source: Shacknews

Well Steam is the best of the worst for me, so I say if you want to use a reasonably tough DRM use steam. It seems to fuck you over the least in my experience.

Huzzah for not using GFWL? I have to remove it as it's a pain in the ass. Doesn't stop anything, and if I get another failed log in meaning my saves are inaccessible, I will fire bieber out of a catapult into microsoft head quarters

Well screw you steamworks. I'm getting it on 360.

Yeah I prefer GFWL... oh I went there.

Hunted: The Demon Forge is already availible for presale on Steam and is another Bethesda published game so I wouldn't be suprised.

Please let this be true. Steam is so damn convenient.

dududf:
Well Steam is the best of the worst for me, so I say if you want to use a reasonably tough DRM use steam. It seems to fuck you over the least in my experience.

Huzzah for not using GFWL? I have to remove it as it's a pain in the ass. Doesn't stop anything, and if I get another failed log in meaning my saves are inaccessible, I will fire bieber out of a catapult into microsoft head quarters

As far as I know, steam as DRM, isn't that good. But it's just the constant deals and respect from the community that drives the low piracy rates. (I have bought SOOOOO much off steam). But I think steam really isn't that hard to pirate.

Darktau:

dududf:

As far as I know, steam as DRM, isn't that good. But it's just the constant deals and respect from the community that drives the low piracy rates. (I have bought SOOOOO much off steam). But I think steam really isn't that hard to pirate.

Oh as a DRM it isn't that particularly effective, but it's the least damn annoying imo.

That being said, it started off as shit, and I won't deny that. It got better however.

dududf:

Darktau:

dududf:

Oh as a DRM it isn't that particularly effective, but it's the least damn annoying imo.

That being said, it started off as shit, and I won't deny that. It got better however.

Hah, steam as a service is the laggiest thing I have EVER used, but I love it :D. The old UI used to freeze on me constantly, new UI just freezes every now and again when I launch it :). But as long as there are £6 sales, I will stay :)

nobody cares about the existance of drm unless it actually stops you from playing the game

Darktau:

dududf:

Darktau:

dududf:

Hah, steam as a service is the laggiest thing I have EVER used, but I love it :D. The old UI used to freeze on me constantly, new UI just freezes every now and again when I launch it :). But as long as there are £6 sales, I will stay :)

Freezes on you? Bummer man. My connection both sucks, and is unreliable and it's only frozen for a couple seconds maybe once in the last 3 weeks. And I'm on it all the time. Like right now I'm on it. 4 hours ago? I was on it. It's not perfect, but it at least has perks to try to say sorry to it's problems. We've seen it from news, get improperly banned? Sorry have 2 copies of tf2, and we'll unban you. Liked portal? Get it free.

Best of the worst imo. It isn't perfect, but at least it's trying to not piss off the customers.

Once again, even though I love Steam, I still say this sucks. People should never be forced to use a platform they have no interest in. Despite most on this site loving Steam, there are shitloads more who want nothing to do with it and see it as just another program that takes up space. And when all you want to do is play on your own, and want nothing Steam offers, its not hard to see why its bad for them.

if I dont upgrade my video card before Portal 2 comes out I'm going to have to do it before Rage does. On the plus side if it is on Steam chances are at some point they might eventually have it available for one of their epicly awesome sales.

dududf:

Preety much this. DRM in general is a hassle and an annoyance for the user. But among the various options, Steam does qualify as a lesser evil.

That said, I am still not going to buy games off of the thing. At least with a retail version, I can be certain I will still have them when the apocalypse comes and Valve ceases to exist. :P

Awesome. I love Steam...

I think it's a fact of life that every game will get cracked, so if you're going to go for DRM anyway it might as well be one that has fringe benefits, hence Steam. Good call, Bethesda.

Tom Phoenix:

dududf:

Preety much this. DRM in general is a hassle and an annoyance for the user. But among the various options, Steam does qualify as a lesser evil.

That said, I am still not going to buy games off of the thing. At least with a retail version, I can be certain I will still have them when the apocalypse comes and Valve ceases to exist. :P

Just want to point out that I'm pretty sure that there's some policy or something, where if steam goes under they'll host the servers for 2 months, and provide owners of the game essentially the crack for it.

But from then on, you best have backed up the local content.

I'd take Steamworks over any other DRM any day of the week.

dududf:

Just launch Bieber into a bed of spikes. You can fire some of the PS3 fanboys in the Microsoft Headquarters. Look at some of the PSblog comments to find them. JUST GET RID OF THEM!
Yay for the good bad stuff? Looks like Bethsedea (sp) has decided to come over to the cool kids /flamesheild
/sarcasm

If clients are the future to prevent publishers to add DRM to their games and make it unplayable, I shall take the lesser evil.

Beside, Steam > All other clients out there.

jamesworkshop:
nobody cares about the existance of drm unless it actually stops you from playing the game

I disagree. Yeah the real shitstorms only ensue when the DRM is as fucked up as Ubisoft's, but in my experience, Steam is the only DRM most gamers will accept without complaining.

Logan must have a cold or something. That story had a few typos and even tense errors. Not up to par with his usual.

Oh well, win win for us all, sort of.

Id gets a fairly cheap and fairly effective (relatively speaking) DRM.
We get a reliable system that plays nice with most computers/connections.

I'd still prefer DRM free, but that's unlikely nowadays. Good news that it seems to avoiding GFWL or some of the other supposedly competing systems.

I don't really like Steam, but considering 'copy protections', I'm beginning to thing I can live with Steam.

Cuz, you know, it's so easily cracked and doesn't leave any residual files like Securom or stuff.

I.e. I can buy a game and use it without copy protection, or I can download the game while waiting for a boxed copy to arrive.

I'm still mad at them that the installer requires Steam in the first place though. I want to be able install the games from the original disks even 20 years down the road, when Steam is nowhere around or with no support for those ooold games.

Still, can't they just go back to simple disk checking? Man.

I dunno. I'd rather have a DRM system that allows me to give away or sell my games when I'm tired of them. And that's, oh guess what, almost any one besides Steam.

That would be a good move, with value's history qwould be good for both of them

Rage looks too much like borderlands

Steve the Pocket:
I dunno. I'd rather have a DRM system that allows me to give away or sell my games when I'm tired of them. And that's, oh guess what, almost any one besides Steam.

think positively then, it's another challenge for them to piss us off...

ultimateownage:
Please let this be true. Steam is so damn convenient.

aye,

what is so bad about that? many games do that

Yes. Steam actually works. Unlike GFAIL.

GFWHALE sucks major cock. It is the single most irritating thing on my PC (well, maybe ME2's DLC DRM is worse, we'll see if it decides to work later)

well I guess another company has given into a system where it makes the consumers' a slave (this includes both gfwl and Steam) even so both systems are gliched and bugged to death.

But Bethesda, have you ever thought of making it optional again? you know,like that game called Fallout 3.

I suppose it's a good thing for me that I'm very apathetic towards this game.

dududf:

Tom Phoenix:

dududf:

Just want to point out that I'm pretty sure that there's some policy or something, where if steam goes under they'll host the servers for 2 months, and provide owners of the game essentially the crack for it.

But from then on, you best have backed up the local content.

Sadly, as much as I love Valve, I can't really trust that that is going to be the case should such a situation really arise. Should the company ever be forced to file for bankruptcy or gets bought outright (either of which I dearly hope will not happen), I don't think the creditors will care one bit about what happens to the games that Steam users own and will only seek to recuperate their money.

What's the rage about rage? It seems like a fairly standard albeit highly polished FPS. Something I'm missing?

Darktau:

dududf:

heh heh heh

You think DRM is ACTUALLY to prevent piracy? Publishers may demand DRM but not as part of some comprehensive anti-piracy strategy, it's just a token gesture to please the pundits and stock holders. With so much money flying about people with no head for the intricacies for the economics of software distribution will cry: "my god, you just release it IN THE OPEN!"

The main thing about DRM is capitalisation:
-monitoring usage
-prevent resale
-ensure regular patches so no bad impression is generated
-platform for selling further DLC, sequels and similar games

The DRM to counter piracy is just a minor stumbling block. You MUST realise that EVERY SINGLE GAME can be pirated: PS2, Wii, Xbox 360 and now even the PS3. Each platform has their own DRM, but relatively easily bypassed.

The main appeal of Steam DRM is POSITIVE anti-piracy measures: steam-sales, offering comparatively amazing prices for very short periods, people cannot resist.

Some people just LOVE the idea of getting things cheaper, piracy is one obvious way but 50-75% off on steam can give the same rush of "YES! I have gotten it for less than other people!". I am one of those people, but too idealistic to have ever actually pirated games.

As to the OP, This is no big shock to me. I mean what other DRM system could it possibly have been sold under? Steam-works is just the logical choice.

dududf:

Darktau:

dududf:

Steam frustrates the casual pirates and tries not to get in the way of the legitimate users. I think that's really the best we can ask for, rather than the super-invasive DRM that gets cracked anyway but shuts out the people who paid for it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here