Torchlight Moves 750K, Console Port "Hopefully" By Holidays

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Torchlight Moves 750K, Console Port "Hopefully" By Holidays

Torchlight is still going strong and if all goes well, console gamers may be able to enjoy the title by the end of the year.

Torchlight became a phoenix that arose at independent studio Runic Games from the ashes of Flagship Studios when it was released to critical acclaim last October. The game had sold half-a-million copies as of May, but now Runic CEO Max Schaefer has revealed that the game kept selling well, and that a console version should hopefully be out this year.

Schaefer told Joystiq that Torchlight is well on its way to selling one million copies, or more, as it's now reached sales of 750,000 copies in less than a year. This may not be anything to sneeze at for blockbusters like Red Dead Redemption, but for a smaller indie title like Torchlight it's a big success. This could be why Torchlight 2 has already been announced and is on track for a 2011 release.

If you're exclusively a console gamer, you may have never even heard of Torchlight because the game has only been released on the PC. Runic hoped it would be able to release the fun, Diablo-style game on consoles as soon as possible, which may end up being the holiday season of 2010. Of the console release, Schaefer said: "We're trying, we're talking [to Sony and Microsoft] and we hope to get that done quickly." He revealed that "hopefully" it'll be released on Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network by the holidays.

And after Torchlight 2 comes to the PC and the Mac, it's also planned for release on XBLA and the PSN. Torchlight looks like a success story that will keep on going, and also keep on giving to players that enjoy its style of gameplay.

Source: Joystiq

Wait, what about the MMO part of Torchlight? Whatever happened to that?

Irridium:

Probably got dropped. If this game wasn't $2 when I bought it on sale, I'd regret it. It's just a shitty version of Diablo and can't believe how hyped its getting.

This confuses me greatly?.? I don'tsee how Torchlight could get a good console port, the controls just don't seem like they would transfer over very well...

would it be possible to make this into a ds game? if so I would be interested.

I heard Torchlight was pretty bad. Certainly doesn't deserve to be mentioned with Diablo in one breathe.

Straying Bullet:
I heard Torchlight was pretty bad. Certainly doesn't deserve to be mentioned with Diablo in one breathe.

it practicably is diablo but with better art, after all, it was made by a good portion of the team that made diablo

Irridium:

Thats originally what it was, but they went the route of Cheyenee and Stargate Worlds, and used what they had already to make another game completely unrelated to the original genre while the MMO is on the back-burner. Except in Runic's case, the game was rather great, and the people behind it seem competent.

No word on an online component? It's one of the things I really missed from Diablo 2 when I got Torchlight. I might consider buying it on console in addition to the PC if it comes with the ability to play online.

Amnestic:
No word on an online component? It's one of the things I really missed from Diablo 2 when I got Torchlight. I might consider buying it on console in addition to the PC if it comes with the ability to play online.

Torchlight 2 they said that you can play online co-op of sorts, and that the mmo is still in development.

deth2munkies:

Irridium:

Probably got dropped. If this game wasn't $2 when I bought it on sale, I'd regret it. It's just a shitty version of Diablo and can't believe how hyped its getting.

100% AGREE thre is nothing good about this game its just a few dungens and like 4 shops

i've yet to see a controller the size of a tea tray.

obvious quotes aside, i have played this game, and frankly, it would suck balls on console. the mouse is critical to control, and the lack of one would spell disaster.

I thought this game was great, logged about 40 hours on it.

Ive got 80 hours logged on this game. Worth every penny.

Theres a bunch of modders that are supposedly working on multiplayer support for Torchlight but theres absolutely no idea when they'll have it ready.

Torchlight comes nowhere near Diablo ... but it's still a good game ;)

I'm a little surprised to hear a lack of support for this idea. I'd happily back this idea at least for the benefit for Runic to make more money off this game and attract more people to it. Granted, it may not be a great port (what game of that genre ever made a decent crossover?) but at least I feel it is a move in the right direction. Any move that can do to attract new customers would do nothing but benefit their brand. Even if say thirty percent of people didn't like the port, there's still seventy percent of people who would like it or love it.

I haven't had the chance to try this game yet, but I've heard good things about it. I would be interested to try this on XBL or PSN, as long as the price is right.

Amnestic:

Other than that, "yay" for another great PC game being consolized...

Sacman:
This confuses me greatly?.? I don'tsee how Torchlight could get a good console port, the controls just don't seem like they would transfer over very well...

IDK, all you do to move and attack is hold left mouse. Use d pad's 8 keys for the hotkeys and you still have lots of room left on the controller.

I might buy it for consoles if it actually happened. I don't know exactly how that would work, considering the amount of hotkeys. I seriously had a spell for buttons 1-9 and both the tab options... I don't think a console has that many.

Tom Goldman:

If you're exclusively a console gamer, you may have never even heard of Torchlight because the game has only been released on the PC.

Ah. I thought I saw Torchlight on sale on Steam for the Mac as the well as the PC recently...

*checks*

Yes, I did.

On topic: Excellent news! I would love to play Torchlight on my 360.

I assume that on the console, it will play similar to baldur's gate: dark alliance, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don't understand how this game will "work" on consoles

The Blu Spy:

The little buttons with letters and symbols...and then.... I dont know...

This seems like a good question and I would like to see this...on my PS3 (burn I said it)

While I couldn't get into it, it always makes me happy to see an indie developed PC game doing so well.

Ahem, Fuck yeah! I would love this on Ps3

Torchlight is bad. Like really bad. I get that these are indie developers and I'm happy for them I guess, but Torchlight was seriously terrible. I don' understand why it's selling. I hope Torchlight 2 is better.

deth2munkies:

Irridium:

It's just a shitty version of Diablo and can't believe how hyped its getting.

Yep, I cannot bare bear the hype for this worthless game but somehow that developer has a huge fanbase without ever doing something good. And yeah, some of them were from Blizzard north, so what? They left Blizzard a long time ago and when I see them implanting the uber-shitty potion spam system, horrible itemization and tedious overall design I know they aren't putting much effort into it. You would've expected them to try out new stuff but no, the new things they add aren't any fun (oh yeah my Pet was so useful... for selling another 50, unidentified items that dropped that last little figh -.-).

But whatever, let's see how well TL2 does.

The Blu Spy:

It is quite simple really. The bumpers are used for dodging. The face buttons are assigned to whatever skill you want. Holding either trigger gives you 4 more options to set in the face buttons. The direction pad gets used for quick items and weapon swaps. Use the analog sticks to steer and aim.

Meh. It's just a simplistic diablo-clone.
I guess alot of people like a simpler diablo with cutesy graphics.

Irridium:

Nothing happened. They're still dong the MMO, but because people made so much noise about how they wanted multiplayer Runic decided to create a sequel with multiplayer before they go ahead with the rather huge undertaking of creating an MMO.

Oh please...

I was going to get this for my PC anyway but...YES! I'm definatly picking this up.

It's interesting how this article ("hurrah for a successful indie!") contrasts with Joystiq's version ("the game sold like crap, because of PIRACY!").

Torchlight has so many good mods though, they should find a way of getting those onto the console port.
Torchleech made installing and getting rid of them incredibly easy, I could see a version of that working for getting mods on a console.

Got some dungeon scrolls with a few puzzles built in that were fun, along with whole new classes.
And an all important respec mod.

They should probably ask Introversion how well that worked for them.

Good to see games made by smaller teams doing well though. Especially when they focus on the basics of gameplay and don't fall prey to industry navel gazing.

I will buy it again, and give Runic as much support as a can!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.