Zombie Protesters Settle Court Case For $165,000

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Zombie Protesters Settle Court Case For $165,000

Zombies that were improperly arrested four years ago have gotten their just desserts in a recent court case settlement.

Back in 2006, a group of zombies were arrested for protesting on a street in Minneapolis, and subsequently jailed for two days. Then they were shot in the head to rid the world of their blight. The zombies filed a lawsuit against the city for what they believed was illegal and unjust treatment by police, and have succeeded at bringing in a hefty settlement.

Okay, they weren't actually shot in the head, and they weren't actually zombies, but human beings dressed up as zombies, face-paint and all, to protest "mindless consumerism." They were never charged with a crime, but were accused of using an iPod and music equipment as a "weapon of mass destruction" and just generally treated like they were something less than human, something undead even, by Minneapolis police. The group called their time in jail "traumatizing" due to police scaring them with the inflated charge, amongst other mistreatment.

After a court first threw out the zombies' lawsuit which demanded $50,000 for each shambler, a successful appeal lifted it to a higher court. Rather than deal with the court system, the city of Minneapolis decided to settle with the zombies for a lump sum of $165,000. Not bad for a few days' work of shambling and groaning, despite the jail time.

"I feel great that the city is being held accountable for the actions of their police," said Raphi Rechitsky, one of the zombies who relates the group's acts to that of a street performance. He says he and the others were trying to show society that it "buys and relies on new products as a replacement for real interaction." I'm sure that the $165,000 won't be used for any of that, now will it?

Source: Star Tribune, via GamesPolitics

then "shot in the head"
ah ha ha haa
you guys, Escapist... =)

Hmmm after Gay rights past it will be Zombie rights in the Supreme court. I don't know how America will react to this. I mean Riots in the Cemeteries and all.

What a load of bullshit. Those fuckers don't deserve any money. If a bunch of 10 year olds went into a shopping centre dressed as zombies and pissed a load of people off and the police can and scared them about their consequences, who would care? People would be happy that they are teaching those kids a lesson.

So why the fuck are all the adults such delicate fucking flowers? You deserve a cash settlement if something happened to you that has put you out of work or what ever so you cannot earn money for yourself.

Being "traumatized" by fucking policemen does not deserve a big cash settle. What a load of bullshit this is and these people can kindly fuck off with their money and stop being such babies to get money.

yeah, dead people have rights too!!!

PayJ567:

Being "traumatized" by fucking policemen does not deserve a big cash settle. What a load of bullshit this is and these people can kindly fuck off with their money and stop being such babies to get money.

Because the Police have such a good track record with human rights and fair treatment of prisoners.

How was it a 'weapon of mass destruction' anyways.

EPIC WIN

That seems like an unrealistically large amount of money, but then I guess it was a pretty big screw up by the police as well. Zombies, cops, and the courts were acting in excess.

I like the little line at the end. You just know it's true.

At first I thought this was 100% BS then I followed the Link. This is AMAZING

The ironic thing is they'll probably wind up in a shopping mall to spend some of that cash.

PayJ567:
What a load of bullshit. Those fuckers don't deserve any money. If a bunch of 10 year olds went into a shopping centre dressed as zombies and pissed a load of people off and the police can and scared them about their consequences, who would care? People would be happy that they are teaching those kids a lesson.

So why the fuck are all the adults such delicate fucking flowers? You deserve a cash settlement if something happened to you that has put you out of work or what ever so you cannot earn money for yourself.

So true...
Well I got to add quality to this post some how...

Edit: Still if i got 100,000 dollars for every thing THIS traumatizing I think I be rich.
Edit2: Unless they secretly got raped while they were in jail :P

So spending a couple of nights in jail is "Traumatizing?" Right and i can fart super rainbows and shit gumdrops.

Loving every word of this article.

Void(null):

PayJ567:

Because the Police have such a good track record with human rights and fair treatment of prisoners.

whenever i hear the police have done something "traumatising" or "humiliating" against someone whose been offended, this is always what comes to my mind. media has a way to downplay sick stuff like this, unless its direct proof (like video)

OT: good for them. as long as theyre non-violent protesters, i support em.
protesters: 1
idiotic officers: 0

I think the Zombies were in error. They were obviously harassing people, and doing this while on private property. It's one thing to promote your opinion on consumerism, and your right to eat brains. It's another thing to do this while harassing people, and being a public nuisance. It is my opinion that Zombies are a public nuisance, and need to be dealt with accordingly, outside of the court system. If I were the city, I would not have given the flesh eating scourge any money to continue their ways. Ironically, these Zombies will likely use this money in consumerist ways, lol!

Firetaffer:
How was it a 'weapon of mass destruction' anyways.

If Ipod's are now Weapons of Mass Destruction.. gods, what is a fucking nuke classified as now? A miniature, vengeful Sun?

..Sheesh.

SnootyEnglishman:
So spending a couple of nights in jail is "Traumatizing?" Right and i can fart super rainbows and shit gumdrops.

well, we dont know the details. its not much fun being behind bars having some burly guys telling you how you will get raped in prison for years, mocking you or denying you phonecalls. on top of that, what if they were students? dunno about the US, but here in norway, if youre a student and break the law, you can lose your right to study at your current university. the fear of losing your dream and gotta do something you hate for the rest of your life can be pretty "traumatizing", no?

try looking at stuff with a bit of perspective next time you comment. doesnt necessarily have to be violent to be traumatizing.

Waif:
I think the Zombies were in error. They were obviously harassing people, and doing this while on private property. It's one thing to promote your opinion on consumerism, and your right to eat brains. It's another thing to do this while harassing people, and being a public nuisance. It is my opinion that Zombies are a public nuisance, and need to be dealt with accordingly, outside of the court system. If I were the city, I would not have given the flesh eating scourge any money to continue their ways. Ironically, these Zombies will likely use this money in consumerist ways, lol!

as long as its non-violent, ill just qoute Frank Zappa: "its just WORDS!". i see PETA throwing shit at people all the time, why dont they get arrested? they mightve been dicks and douches, but as long as its a non-violent protest, police got no right to take em.

... wait, what?

Actually having read the full article linked... this isn't so bad. I can only imagine what a bunch of morons in a jury would grant these people. I'd also like to know more in regards to proper permits, explanations, what-have-you... but I can settle with this knowing that each of them were denied the possibility of getting fifty thousand each. In a perfect world this would never have been brought back by an appellate court, but we don't live in such a world where zombies can listen to their iPods however they please, either. So, eh... I'll take this as a victory.

Awwwww, the zombies got the money

But what will they buy with this money? OH NO BRAIN RUN!

Just kidding

Good for them I guess.

Protesting the mindlessness of society then taking the oh so typical american way out by sueing the fuck out of everyone you can... Oh yes, I can smell the hypocrisy from here.
Is it still too late to actually shoot them in the head?

Void(null):
*video of Rodney King beating*

No one ever seems to take into account that he was drunk driving, speeding through residential areas putting people at risk, refused to comply with orders, attacked a police officer then kept trying to get up proving himself still a danger to the cops.
If the dipshit has just lain the fuck down as he was instructed without attacking the cops then he would not have deserved such a ass kicking.

Winning $165000 for protesting "mindless consumerism," I can smell the irony from here.
Weapon of Mass Destruction?!?!?!?!

Judas Iscariot:
Protesting the mindlessness of society then taking the oh so typical american way out by sueing the fuck out of everyone you can... Oh yes, I can smell the hypocrisy from here.
Is it still too late to actually shoot them in the head?

Void(null):
*video of Rodney King beating*

No one ever seems to take into account that he was drunk driving, speeding through residential areas putting people at risk, refused to comply with orders, attacked a police officer then kept trying to get up proving himself still a danger to the cops.
If the dipshit has just lain the fuck down as he was instructed without attacking the cops then he would not have deserved such a ass kicking.

"oh my God! one unarmed man will get us 10 trained police officers! quickly, beat him to near death, else we cant overpower him!" your logic is astounding.

amazing how people can justify inhuman treatment just cause "the right people" are exercising it. guess this explains how al-qaida get so many followers.

Haakong:
"oh my God! one unarmed man will get us 10 trained police officers! quickly, beat him to near death, else we cant overpower him!" your logic is astounding.

So is your lack of logic. These officers have to take on guys like this daily. This is not a one off thing for them. This is their daily job. What happens when some asshole gets lucky and gouges a cops eye out or bites them huh.
Cops quickly learn not to take unnecessary risks especially when someone keeps getting up. So for you to act as if you know any better than them makes you either a fool or a braggart for talking out your ass. Because I know that if you were ever in that situation you would not have the balls to take any sort of risks.

Haakong:
amazing how people can justify inhuman treatment just cause "the right people" are exercising it. guess this explains how al-qaida get so many followers.

Or the US army for that matter.

Judas Iscariot:

So is your lack of logic. These officers have to take on guys like this daily. This is not a one off thing for them. This is their daily job. What happens when some asshole gets lucky and gouges a cops eye out or bites them huh.
Cops quickly learn not to take unnecessary risks especially when someone keeps getting up. So for you to act as if you know any better than them makes you either a fool or a braggart for talking out your ass. Because I know that if you were ever in that situation you would not have the balls to take any sort of risks.

you clearly dont know much about being an officer either, do ya? the point is, they got tons of ways to aprehend the situation, and they choose the worst. tazer, handcuffs, one police officer taking each limb and one lying on top of him... this is just a few. police work aint easy, make no mistake, but they CHOOSE this job, and then they better follow the rules. rodney king mightve been a douchebag, but that doesnt give a policeman right to nearly kill him. if you still think he was a "threat" after the third wack with the batton, youre one scared piglett.

and yes, i believe i know better than them, to NOT beat a man halfway to death. the cops are just lucky he didnt die. if you study some anatomy, you quickly learn that one punch to the head with a fist can kill a person. these guys wacked and kicked him at least 12 times (and thats only what we see on the video). these cops were just raging at him without thinking on consequenses, and the fact youre trying to legitimate it is just pathetic.

also amazing how you know this much about me! you know my occupation? my life story? what i have done and havent? cause you make a pretty sweet psychological profile of me just saying "10 men should easily overpower 1 man".

Judas Iscariot:

Or the US army for that matter.

did i say i liked the US army at one point? cause i must have missed that. why do you even drag that in? im pointing out youre just a pathetic sheep who justify inhuman treatment, something you lack proof i do.

EDIT: quote typos

There WERE seven of them. That's only 23.5 grand each, for what amounts to a wrongful arrest.

It's actually fairly reasonable. If you don't think so, let me direct you to the $67 million dollar pair of pants.

That reminds me!

They just want a fair and just world is all!

Waif:

Indeed they were, but the police were using trumped up charges, and basically calling them terrorists, and we all know that terrorists are tortured in secret government prisons (don't lie, we all know it's true) and that probably messed them up. Truth is both sides were in error, if they hadn't filed a form to City Hall and told the local government that they were going to do a peaceful protest of consumerism then they were in the wrong, but the police (as stated) arrested them on other terms as opposed to removing them from the property. The way I see it, everybody failed.

See. Everyone cheers for the zombies, but has any one of you thought that's just their new plan for zombie apocalypse? They already know that the standard uprising with dead corpses storming the streets won't work due to everyone and their hamster being familiar with all those games and movies that show how to deal with such danger. Now they are just going to perform a hostile takeover of our brains. Buy us out, change the laws to allow brain eating without consent, Zombies Incorporated will soon take over the world!

PayJ567:

It's not a "bunch of kids dressed as zombies", it's a legitimate protest against capitalism. I'm going to assume that you know of the right to peaceful protest and, indeed, of the right to free assembly -- no, sorry, that's a ridiculous assumption, since if you did, then you wouldn't have made such a blatantly idiotic post. And if you seriously believe that the police don't traumatize people when they feel like it, then frankly I'm surprised you can read.

Anyone who protests "mindless consumerism" after they just bought fake blood and face paint, and ripped perfectly good clothes up, deserves a shot in the head.

Hey maybe I should sue the county for hauling me into jail for several hours because the deputy was an idiot.

To bad it happened so long ago. I should take out a frustrating day on an idiot cop more often, seems like it pays to be wrongfully arrested. I don't know if I can pull of the excessively whiny sob story through.

Personally I doubt they would use the settlement money for 'mindless consumerism'. Seriously, what normal person wouldn't use a 1/5 cut of $165,000 to pay off your average person's debts? I'd think a five way cut would just about clear a mortgage, student loans, and such forth, maybe with a thousand or so to spare.

..but I like my mindless consumerism.

NO WAIT I TAKE IT BACK I....

BRAINS!

That was four years ago? Fuck, I feel old now.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here