Valve Injects Left 4 Dead Tech Into Alien Swarm

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Valve Injects Left 4 Dead Tech Into Alien Swarm

Have those waves of aliens become predictable and boring? Well, Valve has just what you need with a new, more dynamic, gameplay mode.

In response to player feedback and feature requests, Valve has added several new features to its free sci-fi shooter Alien Swarm. Chief among these is the new "Onslaught" mode, which uses an AI director - similar to the one found in Left 4 Dead - to make the experience different every time.

According to Valve, there will be a number of factors that determine when and where the aliens will appear from, including the squad's stress level. Onslaught will work with any difficulty mode, including the new "Brutal" setting that Valve has added, which is pitched even harder than "Insane." As a cherry on the top of the difficulty sundae, Valve has added a new "friendly fire" mode for the truly hardcore, where friendly weapons do full damage, and squads can be gunned down by their own turrets if they're not careful.

This sounds like the ultimate Alien Swarm challenge: super-hard adversaries that come in unpredictable waves at a squad whose weapons are as deadly to each other as they are to the enemies. I have to admit it sounds a little exhilarating, although I doubt I'd last longer than a minute. If you're feeling a little more capable however, you can pick up the game from Steam for free.

Source: Eurogamer

Jesus titty-fucking Christ I love Valve.

This... was already in the game... you just had to use some console commands.

So that's what onslaught was...

Holy shit! That sounds wat to fucking hard! But i so want to try it out. Gotta try this mode out.

It's amazing that Valve puts so much effort into a free game. And a high-quality one at that. I think they're taking my second-favorite developer spot, after Bethesda.

That's it man, game over man, game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

I thought there was already Friendly Fire...or that's what the corpses around me seem to think.

Wow...
Another reason why I hope this gets ported over to Steve Jobs' minions' electronic monitors... the Mac soon.

All well and good. But I'd really rather see a new campaign or something.
Still, I do love how Valve keeps updating there games.

The_root_of_all_evil:
I thought there was already Friendly Fire...or that's what the corpses around me seem to think.

There is, but the damage is pitiful, the mode puts damage at full/'realistic'. Cool to see, though I'm still searching for 2 more friends to join me and my mate before we can try any of that out. For now, the two of us are barely getting through the levels on Normal :P

Btw, while I'm posting, anyone know of a way to add 2 friendly bots? I mean, when I play Offline Practice, I get to have 4 guys and can switch between them, but when playing with my mate, I can't just add those two. It'd be handy so we can add a Medic/Tech on missions that require them rather than having to make one of us play them.

Woodsey:

My words exactly! Making an awesome game even more awesome!

I'm just going to say it before any one else does....so valve where is L4D3? We've been waiting you know like forever....and instead of episode 3 of Left 4 Dead you integrate its AI director into another game?!

A Pious Cultist:

No it wasn't. All that did was randomly send waves at you every now and again, everything was still in the same places all the time, it certainly didn't take into account how well you were doing.

apparently no-one on the valve team has beaten a mission in brutal mode yet. i'd hate to see how hard onslaught-brutal-friendly fire mode would be like.

Can we pay for this if we want to? This is so sweet it makes me want to buy random steam crap that I wouldn't normally.

tombman888:
apparently no-one on the valve team has beaten a mission in brutal mode yet. i'd hate to see how hard onslaught-brutal-friendly fire mode would be like.

Oooooof that sounds like cluster fuck hell. Great free aftermarket support for a free game? Take notes, this is how consumers want to be treated not picked up and shook for lose change. (im looking at you Activision/ EA)

I hate things that are difficult, but I'm a sore loser. Great for others I suppose.

K now all Valve needs to do is release Portal 2 and HL2:EP3 and they will be richer and more loved than Oil Tycoon Playboy Jesus.

Can you marry a video game company?
Seriously though, valve, you are awesome

Y not just give us a wave defense lvl? :P

But this is a nice change of pace for a game everyone played day one and then stopped after day 3 XD

Too bad everyone shouts at you if you actually do anything but run to the end of the mission and ignore aliens.

A Pious Cultist:

That are cheat protected :X

Now only if my friends would play the damn game with me D:

Seemed like the natural direction to take the game; surprised they didn't do it earlier, maybe they were just afraid of it being "top-down L4D with aliens instead of zombies."
Not wild about the idea of a harder difficulty, mostly because I don't dare play on anything harder than Normal. Friendly fire is already bad enough, especially since most players don't seem to understand their bullets aren't healing me when I get infested.

My thoughts on this?

Alien Swarm is a great opportunity to test the AI director outside of L4D to measure it's portability. The game gets an added edge and Valve get feedback on it's effectiveness.

Valve then release Half Life 3 with a new source engine and fully mature AI director and TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

It's good they support all their games, but this should have come out sooner. The games appeal, at least to me, is gone. I find it boring now, and even with this new addition, it doesn't seem any more enticing.

No word on new from valve maps though! At least they're actually adding something, but I think the Jacob campaign is engraved into our heads by now. (THE FREAKING RESIDENTIAL ZONE!)

On that note, are there any high quality maps that have been made for this by the community that have come out?

i guess i should download Alien Swarm...huh.?

Good thing I already have plenty of experience with dying.

Woodsey:

No kidding, these guys really know how to make a gamer happy. From now on, whoever bitches about installing Steam [ Acceptable DRM ] should be beheaded on the spot!

Release on PSN and XBL?

Sadly if so it probably wouldn't be free.

Straying Bullet:

Woodsey:

No kidding, these guys really know how to make a gamer happy. From now on, whoever bitches about installing Steam [ Acceptable DRM ] should be beheaded on the spot!

That's the thing though, they're so customer-friendly and Steam's so useful that I don't even think of it as DRM.

Woodsey:

Straying Bullet:

Woodsey:

That's the thing though, they're so customer-friendly and Steam's so useful that I don't even think of it as DRM.

It's rather funny isn't it? They really disguised/masked the eery face it's DRM but make it appear not so. Plus, those weekend sales, 75% off for Call of Pripyat? These guys are insane!

Tis a fun game. Alien + shotgun = winning combo. Technically I haven't completed a campaign on Hard yet, never mind insane or brutal. Still...

As for Steam as DRM, yeah..its DRM. It stops me selling/lending games. On the other hand, free backup, as many installs as I like, stable, auto patching... it may be a cage but its a NICE cage with room service.

Valve have great marketing: Use Free Game to suck people in, use the bargain sales to keep people around.

They make good games too ;)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or