Judge Dredd Fan Film Might Hit Every Mark Stallone Missed

Pages PREV 1 2

AnAngryMoose:

Batsamaritan:
ok... as a brit who grew up reading Dredd, the stallone movie was a perversion of the books character and screwed with everything good about the books. If not for dredd and 2000ad the comic he featured in american comics might not have had alan moore, garth ennis, mark millar, neil gaiman.... seriously try picking some up its well worth reading.

I've been trying and I've found a collection of hard-back omnibus' at my not-so-local comic shop. They have all the Case Files except for number one... It's always number one...

OT: This looks excellent! Really can't wait to see this.

go for it! continuity aint for much in the early issues anyhow. Also try rogue trooper, slaine, nemesis the warlock, zenith as well and if you can find anything reprinting a series called thargs future shocks that one was always worth a look.

As for the dredd movie, dredd the strip started out as a satire of the dirty harry style police taken to its facist regiems, many of the changes made to the stallone movie semed to miss the point somewhat with the characters. For starters they tried to 'humanise' dredd based on hollywoods sometimes feeble interprertation of morality, and secondry characters like the angel gang just never rang true....

Just wait till you get to mean machine angel.. one of dredds best reurcurring villains alongside the dark judges.

This will be the future of movies, made by fans for fans instead of hollywood hiring Rtards like Bay to ruin franchises for the fans

As a lifelong 2000 ad reader this makes me smile. Dredd and his universe are one of the smartest, most gruesome things to have ever been put down on paper, and that it constantly gets associated with the Stallone film by American readers is absolutely wrong. Hopefully the new film, and this fan piece, will set the record straight. I've been following this film for awhile now and a lot of love from genuine fans has gone into it, and my hats off to them.

AnAngryMoose:

Batsamaritan:
ok... as a brit who grew up reading Dredd, the stallone movie was a perversion of the books character and screwed with everything good about the books. If not for dredd and 2000ad the comic he featured in american comics might not have had alan moore, garth ennis, mark millar, neil gaiman.... seriously try picking some up its well worth reading.

I've been trying and I've found a collection of hard-back omnibus' at my not-so-local comic shop. They have all the Case Files except for number one... It's always number one...

I wouldn't worry about it, the very first casefiles is not a good introduction. The stories really struggle to find their feet. If I were you I'd start out with casefiles 2 or 3, when the material starts to get better, or even better read the story "America." I'm not sure if it's available outside of the UK, but it really is a fantastic piece of work and eases you into the universe, requiring little to no knowledge of past events or back-story.

Electric Gel:
As a lifelong 2000 ad reader this makes me smile. Dredd and his universe are one of the smartest, most gruesome things to have ever been put down on paper, and that it constantly gets associated with the Stallone film by American readers is absolutely wrong. Hopefully the new film, and this fan piece, will set the record straight. I've been following this film for awhile now and a lot of love from genuine fans has gone into it, and my hats off to them.

AnAngryMoose:

Batsamaritan:

I wouldn't worry about it, the very first casefiles is not a good introduction. The stories really struggle to find their feet. If I were you I'd start out with casefiles 2 or 3, when the material starts to get better, or even better read the story "America." I'm not sure if it's available outside of the UK, but it really is a fantastic piece of work and eases you into the universe, requiring little to no knowledge of past events or back-story.

Will do! Really want to get into Judge Dredd. My only interaction with the series is the PS2 game and the Judge Dredd shirt I'm currently wearing.

The movie got me into the comics, which I've been reading on and off ever since. I really got into things when I picked up the Necropolis TPBs

I apologize if this gets me probated or suspended, but I had to.

I AM... THE LAW!!!!

OT: Hopefully it's as good as they say it is.

AnAngryMoose:

Will do! Really want to get into Judge Dredd. My only interaction with the series is the PS2 game and the Judge Dredd shirt I'm currently wearing.

I never got round to playing the game, although I've no idea why. I did hear that it was a really bad game, but that usually doesn't put me of.

And I envy you, you have so much astounding material to get your teeth into. I wish you well on your Judge Dredd themed journey :P

To stay on topic, has anyone else noticed how well made the costumes are within the fan film? There blockbuster movie quality, and put the Stallone movies irritation to shame. I really hope the new feature film takes inspiration from these.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here