Science Says Star Wars Blows Up Better Than Star Trek

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Science Says Star Wars Blows Up Better Than Star Trek

Science has conclusively proven that the "concentric explosion ring" emanating from the revised detonation of the Death Star is slightly less idiotic than the one caused by the destruction of the Klingon moon of Praxis.

If there's a greater rivalry in the sci-fi milieu than the one between the Lucasian geeks and the Roddenberrite nerds, I've never heard of it. It's been a fairly balanced battle over the years; Star Trek has transporters, Star Wars has a guy who can throttle you by pointing. But thanks to the miracle of modern science, we can now say for certain that Star Wars is indisputably out in front in at least one vital area: cheesy CGI explosion effects.

The original destruction of the Death Star in 1977 is a moment etched into the memories of all who witnessed it, a grand denouement to the most epic cinematic experience of all time. But that wasn't good enough for ol' George, so in 1997 he added the "ring effect," a hoop of fire that emanated awkwardly from the immolated space station. The effect was more than a little reminiscent than the one used by its Star-faring rival several years earlier, in the 1991 flick Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Score one for the Trekkies, right?

Yes and no. Star Trek may have done it first but Star Wars actually did it right - sort of. As astronomer Phil Plait noted in his 2002 book Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, From Astrology to the Moon Landing "Hoax," "explosions in space tend toward spherical shape unless impeded." In other words, instead of a flat, Saturn-like ring rolling out from the focal point of the explosion, what you'd really end up with is a fairly uniform, expanding ball of burning gases and dead space goons.

But a very familiar feature of the Death Star, as we should all know, is that ill-conceived trench that runs entirely around it. This is a "point of interrupted stress," which would provide considerably less resistance to the explosion and thus make the fiery ring "far more plausible." Compared to some of the ridiculously convoluted explanations for various awkward twists and bumps in the Star Wars saga, this one actually makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately, it's not a clean victory for Team Star Wars; the Death Star trench circles the station horizontally while Lucas, for some reason, decided to make his explosion ring effect vertical. Oops.

Source: Shadowlocked

Star Wars wins! Now to find scientific evidence for all the other stuff in the movies. The lightsabers will have to be our first priority, of course.

Queen Michael:
Star Wars wins! Now to find scientific evidence for all the other stuff in the movies. The lightsabers will have to be our first priority, of course.

They already made a lightsaber, but it lack a proper energy source. Give nano-materials a couple of years and it'll work.

Phil Plait's great! Anybody read 'Death from the Skies!'?

Firefly still wins for not having sound in space.

Suck on that, Trekkies and... Wookies?

A fairly balanced battle between Star Wars and Star Trek?

Star Wars has lightsabres, the Force and the most iconic villain of all time. Star Trek has jumpsuits and an increasingly fat William Shatner. Although I will admit that the Picard meme's are hilarious.

I still can't choose which is best:

The geekness... it's overwhelming!

Yet, all I know so far is that we all like explosions. So no true point arguing about who has the more plausible kaboom effect, really.

Star Wars FTW! Rock on! ;-P

This is but a small victory. Contact me when science has proved that Harrison Ford is sexier than Patrick Stewart. Or Carry Fischer in a metal bikini is hotter than Jeri Ryan in a skin tight suit. Then we will know once and for all.

(For the record, I do not think we need to wait for science. If there is a character from Star Trek sexier than Princess Leia, I haven't seen the episode. And I've seen all the episodes.)

bojac6:

(For the record, I do not think we need to wait for science. If there is a character from Star Trek sexier than Princess Leia, I haven't seen the episode. And I've seen all the episodes.)

The infamous "Decontamination" skit in Enterprise?

Hooray For Science!

Still finding out things we never needed to know whilst forgetting to create a hover-boards and a cure for cancer!

Not only that but Praxis wasn't completely destroyed, only half of it, so the explosion is wrong there too, it should burst out to the sides and knock Praxis off it orbit.

I think seeing a planet being swallowed up by a black hole, a supernova and an antimatter explosion in Star Trek 2009 tops that tiddly little moon Death Star.

Andy Chalk:
Unfortunately, it's not a clean victory for Team Star Wars; the Death Star trench circles the station horizontally while Lucas, for some reason, decided to make his explosion ring effect vertical. Oops.

maybe the camera was turned sideways and nobody noticed?

Hah, the vertical ring/horizontal trench thing was the first thing that popped in my mind as soon as I read what the book guy was saying.

I know how we can test this! Get us a death star so we can do a real example...heh heh

Queen Michael:

This man is the harbinger of truth. Obey him. Obey!

The_root_of_all_evil:

bojac6:

Jolene Blalock perhaps?

Star wars wins! YES!

bojac6:

Seven of Nine.

The_root_of_all_evil:

bojac6:

Yeah, good try, but I argue not even close. The scene in Enterprise is kind of just hilarious instead of hot. You're sitting there facepalming the whole time at this blatant attempt at fan service. Also, I never really found T'pol that hot, she's just shaped well, has no character whatsoever and has a stupid haircut.

Naheal:

bojac6:

Seven of Nine.

Weird and awkward boob job. I know a lot of this is personal taste, but just like T'Pol, she looked great, but hard to really fantasize about as a character. She's just there for looks but never makes you actually like her.

(Takes deep breath) Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd!!!!!

So Star Wars has a slightly more realistic space explosion? Uh.... so?
I say the Praxis explosion looks cooler though.

Hubilub:

Bah Humbug!

But firefly did have some badass outfits.

so you may be on to something.

Hubilub:

Bah, Humbug.
But the outfts are awesome.

canadamus_prime:
Uh.... so?

You, sir, Just Don't Get It.

Who will win between Star Wars and Star Trek? There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT

Those scientists.. They must have plenty of free time in their hands.

That book sounds interesting. The author was also active in the space program. Ordering.

ben---neb:
Who will win between Star Wars and Star Trek? There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT

God I fucking love this video. Especially when Vader does the big fuck you force choke the whole crew for making fun of his lasers.

EDIT
Whoops, I was talking about the wrong video.

THIS is the one I was referring to.

Andy Chalk:

canadamus_prime:
Uh.... so?

You, sir, Just Don't Get It.

Oh I'm well aware of the whole rivalry. Although I've never understood it because I enjoy both franchises, although Star Trek less so of late.
This is like celebrating a win at the Olympics because the opponent forgot to brush his teeth or some stupid shit like that and got disqualified.

In other words, science says both are still stupid, and we should just continue to enjoy them as the special effects they are.

Does this even matter?
Eh, still like Star Trek better. At least it has better ship-to-ship battles IMO.

You know, I read in one of those kid science magazines when I was around twelve or so that Lucas actually got the whole exploding star thing right the first time. You know, the first version of Star Wars before the CGI? So for me, this kind of makes any competition between these two over their rings a moot point.

Disaster Button:
I think seeing a planet being swallowed up by a black hole, a supernova and an antimatter explosion in Star Trek 2009 tops that tiddly little moon Death Star.

Why'd you have to say Death Star?

I could have said it! And you ruined it for me!

For the record, I have never watched an episode of Star Trek nor all the Star Wars films. This doesn't concern me.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here