Brad Pitt Fingered for Red Dead Redemption Role

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A film version of the hit Red Dead Redemption is reportedly being planned, with the lead role being held for none other than sexy super-stud Brad Pitt.

Has it been awhile since you've seen a decent Western? Clint Eastwood brought an emphatic full stop to the genre with the 1992 release of Unforgiven, a dark and decidedly unglamorous look at the lives of gunfighters and bounty hunters, and since then our pickings have been a little on the slim side. Tombstone was underrated genius and 3:10 to Yuma was solid, but fans of dirty, unshaven men, monstrously huge revolvers and women who know their place have been sadly underserved over the past couple of decades.

But the semi-surprising success of Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption may one day mean a new addition to that big-screen corral, with none other than Hollywood hunk o' burning love Brad Pitt in the saddle. According to sources, he's currently the "hot favorite" to star as John Marston in an epic cowboy film based on the game.

"This is an exciting project with a great character at the center of it," a source told Showbiz Spy. "The idea is to make this in the style of an epic Western movie but with a few modern touches. Brad is perfect for the role and he is being given first refusal."

Could this be the videogame movie that finally gets it right? I'm not what you'd call a Brad Pitt fan, although I liked what he did in 12 Monkeys, but there's no denying he'd bring a certain cachet that most other actors just can't match. RDR itself, a classic Western tale of betrayal and violent justice, seems like solid source material. On the other hand, this is Hollywood we're talking about. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm ok with this, Brad Pitt has shown to be a very good actor, and i can see him playing that part.

*snort* Fnarr Fnarr.

This is where the differences in American English and UK English become apparent.

I'm cool with that. Loved Fight Club and se7en.
And I really think that this would be a great movie.

'fingered'? Heh.

but with a few modern touches

Exploding horses

Also, will it involve donkey lady?

misleading title is misleading.
OT: theres a RDR movie coming out? I never heard of it.

esperandote:

but with a few modern touches

Exploding horses

Also, will it involve donkey lady?

Donkey lady and Cougar man. The most horrifying villains of 2011.

OT: I like Brad Pitt. He's done bad movies, but he's also done a number of excellent films. I think he's a good actor. And he has the same basic facial structure as Marston, just give him some face scars and a nice hat and we've got ourselves a bounty hunter.

Not to pigeon-hole the man, but Nathan Fillion plays a great cowboy. Now that I think about this, I don't know who I'd rather have for the part...

Anyways, I haven't played the game in question (I don't own the required console), but I want to. I've heard nothing but greatness about it, so I have to believe it's a good story. Hollywood could truly destroy it, but they could also do it justice. This could be made into a movie, but it also may not be.

He did a fantastic job in 'Assassination of Jesse James'. That greatness would likewise translate very well into this. Am anticipating.

The_root_of_all_evil:

*snort* Fnarr Fnarr.

This is where the differences in American English and UK English become apparent.

This. I don't care about a film, i just found the title funny.

You probably could selected a better word than "fingered", but as far as my thought on the subject as lackluster as westerns have been lately it might take a big star like Pitt to give the project a better chance at being a success.

I don't care whos in it, I just want a good old fashioned western.

I certainly hope he takes the offer. he'd be a great fit in a great role for him in what could be a fantastic movie if Rockstar has the right amount of input along with other essentials like a good script, director and villain.

Great title.

Anyway, good to hear. Not because it's a videogame movie, but because it's a western.

Im ok with this, hes a preety good actor, and I think he can fill this role well.

Hahaha...

This isn't a movie we're talking about people. Its a movie adaptation of a video game. You think they have enough money for him?

Brad Pitt fingered...

I find myself dissapointed, here I came for a depiction of Brad with a finger up his bum and I find this. It might be a good idea, he seems to fit the part look wise, dunno how his voice would, he did well admitedly in that movie where he played Jesse James.

Damnit it got me too!

Oh hell yes I love Brad Pitt! If they could actually afford him then this could be an awesome movie based on a video game (for once)

It used to be that books were ripped off in a desperate attempt to milk money from people without the will to actually read the things. Now it seems that videogames have replaced them....

Also, the protagonist of RDR was a gentleman cowboy, but still a rough and tumble guy. Brad Pitt is, well, not.

Oh what the hell? I love Mr. Pitt, but I don't want him doing it. In my mind, there is only one person for the role of John Marston: Daniel Day Lewis. You watch There Will Be Blood and Gangs of New York and you know that Lewis is a fantastic actor.

Also, why are they making a movie of this already? Come on, let it breath a little bit before we let Hollywood ruin it.

Third, suggestive title is suggestive.

Fingered?

Oh god no.

He's a brilliant actor though, he played brilliantly in The Assassination of Jesse James.(Another western, however not a spaghetti western like RDR)

Did anyone else know he's also going to be in the World War Z movie? Man, this guys gonna own everything.

Funnily enough, my sources say that he fingered Angelina Jolie for the role.

Well, maybe not for the role.

Escapist, you really are freaking me out with some of the news topics names you are using lately.

Andy, I think you screwed up with the title. Half the comments are about the bloody word used in the title!

OT: But who would play Dutch? If they could get Michael Caine to be Edgar Ross. Oh my...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E29iOPSxF94

No No No No No No No No No No No

Find someone else

misleading titles is very misleading.
And yet I still clicked it....whoops ;D

OT: I am always wary of film adaptations of games and worse the actual game itself was pretty disappointing so it would be a miss for me if it hit the cinema.

I disapprove. Brad Pitt isn't manly, rugged, or sexy enough to play John Marston.

I hope this goes through. I'd love to see a big-budget, modern-day western based on really well-written source material. Especially with one of my favorite actors as John friggin' Marston.

sephiroth1991:
I'm ok with this, Brad Pitt has shown to be a very good actor, and i can see him playing that part.

Yeah, he is a great actor... But I don't really see him as John Marston.

Hmmmm. Somebody in the film industry must of read this MovieBob article here at the Escapist or something. Might be coincidence, but if that's the case, I'd be looking forward to a Castlevania or a Metroid film if they're considering it!

zHellas:

sephiroth1991:

Yeah, he is a great actor... But I don't really see him as John Marston.

Eh, scar him up, tell him not to shave for a week and put a hat on him, I think it'd work.

I've got no interest for a RDR movie, and I don't understand the fascination of turning interactive media into non-interactive media. Going from non-interactive to interactive, sure, you're adding some functionality there, but the other way around is just backwards. I don't need Brad Pitt to show me who John Marston is, the game did a magnificent job of that already.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.