AMD Pulls the Plug on ATI

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

AMD Pulls the Plug on ATI

It's a sad day for PC nerds, as AMD has confirmed that it's taking the venerable ATI brand out behind the woodshed and sending it off to hardware heaven.

Founded in 1985, ATI was regarded for years as a true Canadian success story. It achieved early success with the Wonder and Rage series of video cards and broke new ground in the mid-90s with the All-in-Wonder lineup, the first video cards to feature integrated TV tuners. The debut of the Radeon series in 2000 was another big success and while its fortunes fluctuated over the years as it grappled for supremacy with rival GPU maker nVidia, it remained an Industry Playa throughout. But in 2006 the company was acquired by AMD in a deal worth more than $5 billion and while the name has been maintained in the years since, those days are now over.

AMD has confirmed with the Tech Report that it intends to eliminate the brand from future product lines. A "major motivator" for the decision is the upcoming release of the Fusion line, which will combine CPU and GPU technology on a single chip. AMD also said that it is "on a roll" and making significant headway against nVidia, shipping more discrete graphics units than its competitor in the past quarter and also coming out ahead with some "high-profile design wins."

The company's own internal research also indicated that consumers who know something about graphics cards, which is to say the people most likely to buy them, are aware of the Radeon brand name and that their preference for AMD triples when they know about the AMD/ATI merger. This, according to the company, "indicates 'permission' to consolidate under the AMD brand." Current Radeon hardware will continue to carry the ATI name to help avoid confusion but beginning later this year, new products will be released sporting an AMD Radeon badge.

ATI may have been considered a terrible idea at various points throughout its history but there were at least as many moments of shining brilliance and if you've been a PC gamer for any length of time, you've almost certainly used at least one of its products somewhere along the line. I've had several, most recently the Radeon 9700, seriously outdated by current standards but a fantastic card in its day, and even well past it. In all honesty, the end of ATI is probably long overdue, but with all that water under the bridge it's still a little bit sad to see it go.

It's about time.

Anyway, NVIDIA FTW!

so i take it my ATI card is now an unsupported piece of crap?

Everyone and their grandmother knows that Nvidia is and always has been better anyways. So it's not exactly any big news.

i'm not really that surprised. And personally i don't think it will affect a majority of consumers since there is a lot of affiliation of ATI to AMD anyway

WHAT! just when theyve started to produce some kick ass - beat nvidia - cards! the HD4800 series brought me back over from nvidia (also due to the fact nvidia are churning out cards like there going out of fashion and stickin a stupid price tag on them)... this is a sad day indeed

Ultratwinkie:

That depends more on who made it rather than whether the chipset is ATI/AMD, it's still the same company even if the brand name has changed.

Some ATI/AMD card makers support old products for years, others, well... don't.

GIJames:
It's about time.

Anyway, NVIDIA FTW!

nvidia is overpriced and is so badly constructed it lasts only 2 years.

Sad day indeed, still I love both companies and always tried to support them, so from a consumerist whore's point of view I'll love AMD graphics as much as I did ATi's.

Ultratwinkie:

Wow you must stay so fit with all that jumping to conclusions.
:D

Seriously, no I don't think so, part of the GPU arms race for the last decade has always been about who can support and update their entire range of Graphics Cards, it not just about how many transistors on a board but also how efficient the old Cards get.

I always like ATI more than NVIDIA anyway they were cheaper...

That's a pity, the change is purely the branding and I'm interested in the upcoming hardware but it's still disappointing to lose an old brand like this.

Bummer. While I've had ATI cards and I've had AMD cpu's (well, technically, one of each), in both cases I went back to Intel and nVidia.

Still, it was nice to have ATI lighting the fire under nVidia's ass. All nVidia fans (and I've been one since they were lurking in the shadow of 3dfx) needs to be grateful to ATI and its customers for that.

No!

I still use my 3850 card, I've been using it for 2 and a half years now. These things are built to last. I love 'em, and am sad to see them go.

Although would this mean that any cards still on the market are going to be a lot cheaper now?

Ultratwinkie:

I'll have you know I've got an 8800 GTS-OC and it's the best fan-heater I ever bought!

ATI cards are more about using less bang in a smarter way, I prefer nvidia's cards but I really like their design ethic.

Ultratwinkie:

Wait, if I remembered correctly they didn't support laptop cards anyway. (Was no info on their website for my mates vaio :< )

OT:

Radeon was owned by AMD? I always thought it was owned by ATI, oh well thats a bit of news.

Ultratwinkie:

GIJames:
It's about time.

Anyway, NVIDIA FTW!

Really? ALL my ATI cards have died within a year, and my nvidia cards (which I treat like trash) have lasted me more than 3, I am currently running my old 8800GT at the moment. And Overpriced? GTX 460, helloooooo?

All the ATI cards I have had in the past were pretty bad. The onboard chip on my laptop (ATI) is crap too.

I am saddened though that they will cease to be. RIP ATI.

So ATI has gone to silicon heaven?

Tis a sad day :(

Ultratwinkie:

Tell that to my 8800, which I got soon after launch in 2006, and is still running strong to this day

So wait... they're just changing the name to Radeon or have I got that wrong?

Anyway, NVIDIA ftw; better linux support.

Also, will the graphics drivers for these things still be updated? Or will that cease?

Well i always have this one i'm useing.

They're not leaving the market, they're just axing the ATI name and branding everything as AMD, so this isn't all that big a deal from that standpoint, though it's always sad to see a venerable name disappear from the product roster.

Darktau:

Ultratwinkie:

Wait, if I remembered correctly they didn't support laptop cards anyway. (Was no info on their website for my mates vaio :< )

OT:

Radeon was owned by AMD? I always thought it was owned by ATI, oh well thats a bit of news.

Ultratwinkie:

GIJames:
It's about time.

Anyway, NVIDIA FTW!

Really? ALL my ATI cards have died within a year, and my nvidia cards (which I treat like trash) have lasted me more than 3, I am currently running my old 8800GT at the moment. And Overpriced? GTX 460, helloooooo?

and my first nvidia card died while playing fallout 3. the most low tech game ever. as if that wasn't shit enough they wanted me to pay well over 100$ for what i learned was a defective card. shit company. i have an old ATI card and that thing is well over 10 years old and still kicking.

So wait I don't get it, is ATI Radeon gone for good or is AMD just taking Radeon under its anchor completely?

Oh thank god.

Reading that article I was scared that the company was going to stop making graphics products. Then I realized that they were just changing the name, which is fine because I use AMD products anyway.

Bullet dodged.

Aaawww.
It's a sad day. I like my 4850.

Ultratwinkie:

Hate to break it to you mate, but it has been that for a good few years now.

Hmm. They better keep support up. I need my laptop to last another three years...

So my ATI X600 is now an AMD X600?

It's sad to see them go ='(, I'll still be using this ATI card for a while longer anyway!

Oh this is sad day!

I never had an ATI but I know that they made some great graphics cards. Oh this is a sad day indeed.

so is nvidia now a monopoly? i mean who else makes graphics cards? hmmmm i smell a lawsuit acomin'

wow... well i'm glad I got a geforce 460 instead of a radeon 5830 (bought it on friday).

Some of you guys need to do some research before jumping to conclusions... It's just the name ATI that's being dropped. The company will go on merrily producing cards and will release the Radeon 6000 series this coming November under the brand name AMD Radeon. ATI has been owned by AMD for the past 4 years anyway and the reason why AMD is doing this is because they're going to combine the CPU and GPU on the same die package in around a years time. For a gaming website with lots of PC gamers, you'd think that there was a bit more knowledge about graphic cards and PCs in general here.

As for AMD/ATI dropping support on ATI cards, seeing as they're still releasing drivers for the Radeon 2000 series released in 2007, there's no way in hell AMD will drop support on the 4000 and 5000 series any time soon.

Ultratwinkie:

GIJames:
It's about time.

Anyway, NVIDIA FTW!

I've never had a Nvidia card go out on me, which manufacturer did you buy from?

Psychosocial:
Everyone and their grandmother knows that Nvidia is and always has been better anyways. So it's not exactly any big news.

Rubbish. I haven't had a single nVidia product that installed easily and/or worked properly EVER. I'm seriously bummed by this, because I ONLY use ATI products.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here