AMD Pulls the Plug on ATI

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

You know, I just realised that it's probably quite hard to build brand recognition when you're name is just letters. I think I've been using AMD and ATI interchangably for quite some time now. Or rather, I would be using them interchagably if I ever used them in conversation.

They just renamed ATI to AMD. Nothing to see here. Move along...

Why the fuck is the title so misleading? I almost choked to death.

This is sad news, I don't wanna buy a nVidia card since i've had 3 that have melted over the past few years D:

Psychosocial:
Everyone and their grandmother knows that Nvidia is and always has been better anyways. So it's not exactly any big news.

Oh, the ignorance.

Do4600:

Ultratwinkie:

GIJames:
It's about time.

Anyway, NVIDIA FTW!

nvidia is overpriced and is so badly constructed it lasts only 2 years.

I've never had a Nvidia card go out on me, which manufacturer did you buy from?

was already installed in a PC i got. the sodering was shit and it literally EXPLODED while playing fallout 3. nice first impression. then they wanted me to pay and upwards of 100$ for the card not including the other upgrades i had to get to run it. ATI made a better offer. ATI always makes reliable, and cheap cards. turns out the factory in taiwan fucked up, and billions of cards had to be recalled.

Dr Bob:

Psychosocial:
Everyone and their grandmother knows that Nvidia is and always has been better anyways. So it's not exactly any big news.

Oh, the ignorance.

Well, I believe the fact that it's ATI and not Nvidia going down to prove my point.

Sad ninja is sad. :'(

Either way, the actual card "Series" isn't dying, so I guess it's not really that bad. A name change is better than a pull of the plug.

Psychosocial:

Dr Bob:

Psychosocial:

Oh, the ignorance.

Well, I believe the fact that it's ATI and not Nvidia going down to prove my point.

Seeing as how ATI's not going down and it's just a name change from ATI to AMD since the company has belonged to AMD for over 4 years now, I do believe the laugh's on you.

This thread is impressively full of misinformation and bad reading comprehension. Not to mention fanboyism.

AMD has acquired ATI a few years back and all it's fazing out is the branding. The cards will be on the shelves same as always. The sticker will now say AMD. Consumer graphics cards will rename under the name Radeon. This is purely a marketing shift. Much smaller than Foundries split was a year ago and few outside the tech circles even heard of that.

As for ATI cards being unsupported they have had a monthly driver release schedule for a number of years now. So I fail to see how that qualifies as "unsupported". There are issues with that approach but they are most certainly trying.

Psychosocial:

Dr Bob:

Psychosocial:

Oh, the ignorance.

yet it is CHANGING THE NAME. ATI is still there but with a changed name. the fusion cards will put nvidia to shame. why? they are changing with the times and with the coming improvements in PC gaming they would be fools not to make fusion cards. nvidia are looking like dinosaurs right now.

Good thing I went with Nvidia for my new PC instead of ATI.

silverbullet1989:
WHAT! just when theyve started to produce some kick ass - beat nvidia - cards! the HD4800 series brought me back over from nvidia (also due to the fact nvidia are churning out cards like there going out of fashion and stickin a stupid price tag on them)... this is a sad day indeed

Ultratwinkie:
so i take it my ATI card is now an unsupported piece of crap?

It's just a name change, their droping the "ATI" out of the name of the cards since AMD has owned the brand for years. Theres no difference.

What? Dude check your sources, the ATI brand-name will be retired. AMD will still be making video cards which are essentially ATI but branded as AMD.

3/4 computers in my house have an ati gpu in them (4/5 if you count the xbox, 5/5 if you count computers which have had an ati gpu)

in chronological order...

Ati Rage 3d (supporting a 300mhz pentium II with 32mb ram ohh yeah...)
Ati Radeon 9800pro (in my dad's computer, it videogamed it to death <read: overheated>)
Ati Radeon x1950pro (my first gpu replaced by an 8800gt :'[ )
Ati Radeon x1650 (replaced the 9800 in my dad's computer)
Ati X1900 (in my xbox)
Ati hd3200 (integrated in me laptop)

a sad day indeed 13 years of dodgy drivers and endless fun, gone... :'(

EDIT: ohh i know theyre just dropping a name, i just hope that its not like mw2, where they dropped Call of Duty, and with it the magic

but...i just bought a new computer with a ati card :(

does that mean i cant use it?

Oh and for those trumpeting about how nVidia is dominating the GPU market and that ATI has gone down, I'd like to point you towards this following article which sums up AMD's (or ex ATI's) market share for this year alone: Hint - It's not nVidia that's winning.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20012025-64.html

Well this sucks I have 4850 X2 and I really like it.........

Sacman:
I always like ATI more than NVIDIA anyway they were cheaper...

And still performed as good as NVIDIA.

OT: Well it's sad that such a good priced graphics card range go.

But good for those who want to buy componants..

Can someone please at least change the title of this story to "AMD Pulls the Plug on ATI brand-name" or something? This is getting ridiculous. The first and last paragraphs even read like an obituary for the company, when in fact nothing has changed except for two letters in the names of future products.

rheianna:
Oh and for those trumpeting about how nVidia is dominating the GPU market and that ATI has gone down, I'd like to point you towards this following article which sums up AMD's (or ex ATI's) market share for this year alone: Hint - It's not nVidia that's winning.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20012025-64.html

That's because Nvidia makes MANLY cards for MANLY gamers who like having a MASSIVE EPEEN and spending MONEY.

I have a GTX 275.

Ultratwinkie:

was already installed in a PC i got. the sodering was shit and it literally EXPLODED while playing fallout 3. nice first impression. then they wanted me to pay and upwards of 100$ for the card not including the other upgrades i had to get to run it. ATI made a better offer. ATI always makes reliable, and cheap cards. turns out the factory in taiwan fucked up, and billions of cards had to be recalled.

ATI always makes reliable, and cheap cards.

reliable

Not in my experience. I had an HD 4870, and it had a dodgy BIOS on it, and would freeze my PC after half an hour of a game. And my 8800GT is still going strong (Though I retired it in exchange for more POWER, so I'm selling it to a friend).

Irridium:
Also, will the graphics drivers for these things still be updated? Or will that cease?

Pretty sure all ATI Radeons are unsupported.

AngryMongoose:
So wait... they're just changing the name to Radeon or have I got that wrong?

They already call their products AMD Radeon. And AMD Athlon. But there were some ATI Radeons in the market, sold within the last 10-15 years, now they're obsolete.

Anyway, NVIDIA ftw; better linux support.

Nvidia used to be my favorite company when it came to that, but since they demand almost double what AMD does for Radeons... At least in Europe.

Ultratwinkie:

GIJames:
It's about time.

Anyway, NVIDIA FTW!

Really? ALL my ATI cards have died within a year, and my nvidia cards (which I treat like trash) have lasted me more than 3, I am currently running my old 8800GT at the moment. And Overpriced? GTX 460, helloooooo?[/quote]

Really? Mine's always been the opposite. Nvidea's have always died on me within a year and the ATI cards have had the longer lifespan.
'Tis a shame, but if I understand it correctly aren't they gonna still exist, just under the AMD name?

Being a former ATI employee i do feel a little bummed to see the name go (was my first job as an engineer). Besides brand name however things won't really change as they will continue to develop graphics and cpu hardware, whether it be combined and/or standalone.

makr:
Can someone please at least change the title of this story to "AMD Pulls the Plug on ATI brand-name" or something?

"It's a sad day for PC nerds, as AMD has confirmed that it's taking the venerable ATI brand out behind the woodshed and sending it off to hardware heaven."

That's the very first paragraph in the article, which also appears on the front page.

Anything else I can not do for you?

Does that mean the card in my computer now has an extinct card in it? Sweeet!

Misleading article, had me going for a minute there that ATI was being completely scrapped. This would have been horrendous (and bizzare) news for the PC gaming world due to Nvidia prices being almost uncapped due to lack of competition.

Just losing the name however is a somewhat pointless stunt which I imagine will change very little.

Darktau:

Ultratwinkie:
so i take it my ATI card is now an unsupported piece of crap?

Wait, if I remembered correctly they didn't support laptop cards anyway. (Was no info on their website for my mates vaio :< )

OT:

Radeon was owned by AMD? I always thought it was owned by ATI, oh well thats a bit of news.

Ultratwinkie:

GIJames:
It's about time.

Anyway, NVIDIA FTW!

Really? ALL my ATI cards have died within a year, and my nvidia cards (which I treat like trash) have lasted me more than 3, I am currently running my old 8800GT at the moment. And Overpriced? GTX 460, helloooooo?

I've only ever bought 1 nvidia card, I prefer ATI, but none of mine have ever crapped out. They were all still running when I replaced them, and I normally go 2+ years before replacing parts if I have to. Never had an AMD chip fail on me, though I've had a couple of Intel chips get really, really hot. I switched back to AMD about 5 years ago after testing some of the Intel chips, and I've never looked back. I might change again to see if Intel is any better, but I'm comfortable with AMD at the moment.

So it basically comes down to the problem that quite a few escapists just skim a headline and don't read anything else, have no clue about hardware and can't be bothered to do some research? Well in that case, back to lurking.

Screw ATi anyways, piece of crap card can't even work right with this VIA chipset, and is the reason why i got a memory dump five seconds into playing ANYTHING.

Lawyer105:

Psychosocial:

Rubbish. I haven't had a single nVidia product that installed easily and/or worked properly EVER. I'm seriously bummed by this, because I ONLY use ATI products.

By contrast, I worked for many years at a lan center with 30+ computers all set up, and back when the 9800 card was being released, ATI sent us 15 cards prelaunch to get the name out. Within a month 10 of the cards had burnt out and ATI tech support was nonexistant (to the point of us calling, being placed on hold and the line just dropping out).

After an additional month of issues, we contacted nVidia who also had a new card coming out (don't remember which one, GForce4 something) and they replaced all of our ATI cards with their own as part of a new promotion. To THIS day, most of those cards are still functioning, though they are shelved as backup units.

Nvidia is a nice brand

My friend is even playing STALKER call of pripyat on my 7900GTX that I got back in 2006.
I replaced it with a 9800GTX, 28 months ago and it still works like new

all in all ATi vs Nvidia is silly, AMD's money just gets drained away by the CPU business getting it's ass handed to it by Intel which will ultimatly kill Nvidia by never selling them the x86 licence

The only real winner is Intel

I like how all the Nvidia users are just coming in to bash ATI and AMD products without even reading the article and making brash statements.

I like ATI, my Mobility Radeon HD4330 is a tough little integrated card. It can run everything from Rome Total War to Mass Effect 2!

I wish other predatory corporations did this to the brands that they gobbled up.

I've been creating and maintaining custom PCs for nearly 10 years now.

There is no dispute in my mind: For all practical purposes, ATI was no better than nVidia, and vice versa.
Yes, there was some variation, sometimes ATI would have a good year, sometimes there was a recall. Sometimes great hardware got lazy, shitty drivers because their company had developed a newer, much better model before their current model was even on sale.

But there was NEVER any indication (not even sales figures) that suggested that one manufacturer was strictly better than the other.

So ATI is just undergoing a changing of the colors...fine. I hope their new product continues to be progressive.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here