StarCraft II Sells Three Million In a Month

Pages 1 2 NEXT

StarCraft II Sells Three Million In a Month

StarCraft II has begun its long journey to match its legendary predecessor by selling three million copies in its first month on shelves.

Since its 1998 launch, the venerable StarCraft has sold about twelve million copies. Today, Blizzard announced that in its first month on shelves, StarCraft II was already a quarter of the way toward that goal. Since July 27th, announced Blizzard, StarCraft II has sold 3 million copies around the world, making it the best-selling PC game of 2010 thus far, and the fastest-selling RTS title of all time.

1.5 million of those copies were sold in the first 48 hours, letting the title breeze to an easy three mill over the next few weeks. Not quite the seven million copies predicted by year's end, but certainly laudable, and the game has already outsold the original in the UK. It's an even more impressive number given that the game is 100 percent exclusive to Windows and Apple PCs.

"We appreciate all the enthusiasm that players around the world have shown for StarCraft II," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and co-founder of Blizzard Entertainment in a statement. "It was important to us to deliver an overall gameplay experience that was accessible, balanced, and fun, and it's been gratifying to see how strongly the global community has already embraced the game."

These numbers are well-deserved, because the game is superb. Blizzard has already announced a 1.1 patch for the game that makes balance changes and adds playability functions for left-handed players, and at least one of the features fans have been clamoring for - chat channels - will soon be on its way as well.

They can count on that number going up by another 1 when the price gets closer to £30!

Glad to hear it, I contributed to those numbers, escaping from work to wait in a (farily small) line for the shop to open and get my filthy hands on a copy.

The game well deserves those numbers and even more, truly it's the best RTS I've ever played, and this is coming from someone who hated RTS games and even hated the first game with his soul.

This game can convert anyone to an RTS lover.

Well deserved sales. Would be nice to see it break the record of total RTS sales which is currently held by Starcraft 1.

I do wonder how they're going to factor in Heart of the Swarm/Legacy of the Void into sales. Aren't they meant to be "standalone" expansions in comparison to Broodwar which required SC1?

Well, this doesn't surprise me. A great RTS, and a worthy sequel to one of the best RTS games ever.

Can't wait to get my copy and do my part to help.

And people say that PC gaming is dying? Really?

And also, screw those balance changes, I want my damn region lock removed!

well it still looks massively boring to me but at least it shows that there is a market for rts games still

Amnestic:
Well deserved sales. Would be nice to see it break the record of total RTS sales which is currently held by Starcraft 1.

Give it 12 years when Starcraft 3 comes out

I'd just like to add a "Well done Blizzard" and "InB4 Terrans OP!"

In those 3 million people, you think at least one would be worse at the game than I am.

Anything that sells over 9000 copies is bound to be successful.

ahhh i never knew about this patch and.... wait....
it's cool i don't usually use reapers or siege tanks and games usually end before i need battlecruisers. i wanted them to nerf that thing where the protoss build cannons inside your base before you even have a marine.

I can imagine Blizzard is happy with the sales. I kjnow I would!

Worgen:
well it still looks massively boring to me but at least it shows that there is a market for rts games still

You know people like things that you dont like right?

Danzaivar:
They can count on that number going up by another 1 when the price gets closer to £30!

wait a year or two :P

I wonder if 3 million sales was enough to offset the tremendous budget they probably spent on the thing's prolonged development.

psrdirector:

Danzaivar:

Waiting until all three are brought out and then buying them all as part of a "Battlechest" type deal will probably end up being the cheapest option.

A general rule of thumb is that any game with 12 years of PR behind it will sell well.

geldonyetich:
I wonder if 3 million sales was enough to offset the tremendous budget they probably spent on the thing's prolonged development.

If my calculations are correct, they've grossed somewhere around $150,000,000. And, according to Blizzard, they've spent less on this game than they have on World of Warcraft, which had a development budget of around $100,000,000.

In other words, this game is a smash hit financially, and for good reason.

Amnestic:

psrdirector:

Danzaivar:

Waiting until all three are brought out and then buying them all as part of a "Battlechest" type deal will probably end up being the cheapest option.

Yeah, but then you miss out on the awesome wave that every Blizz game gets when it first comes out.

"OMFG [x] IS OP AS SHIT, GG BLIZZ MAKING SHIT GAME NVR GONNA PLAY AGAIN"

And who would want to miss out on that?

Ahaha, if this doesn't crush every PC-gaming is dying console fanboy, I don't know what does.

Flying-Emu:

Amnestic:

psrdirector:

Danzaivar:

Yeah, but then you miss out on the awesome wave that every Blizz game gets when it first comes out.

"Wave"? Looking at the WoW forums, it's more like a constant river. A stream of endless bullshit, lies, half truths and massive whining over the tiniest of things.

Like that Celestial Pegasus horsey thing people could buy for real money. Haruhi's Skirt that was a boring topic but it went on and on and on.

I actually think this is a rather low number considering the scale of things. 1.5 mil in the first two days but only 3 mil after a month? It would seem that the game reached its zenith so close to the release its depressing. I think that everybody who planned to get the game already bought it, and that the ones who didn't are either waiting for a discount or not interested. Now comes the slow decline in popularity and sales... Until the hype train for HotS gets rolling. God knows when that will be. ;)

strum4h:

Worgen:

thats why beiber is somehow popular

It is a good day to be on the Blizzard train.

Worgen:

strum4h:

Worgen:

Eh, no worries. I could care less for 99% of Will Ferrell's work(I do like Stranger than Fiction), but there's no harm in it.

Worgen:

strum4h:

Worgen:

Oh come on, there's a big difference between utter shit and boring.

Oh Korea! Blizz better be kissing your backside right now...

Flying-Emu:

Amnestic:

psrdirector:

Danzaivar:

I...kinda wanna buy it now. Amazon or Steam, hmmm....

samsonguy920:
It is a good day to be on the Blizzard train.

Worgen:

strum4h:

Worgen:

Eh, no worries. I could care less for 99% of Will Ferrell's work(I do like Stranger than Fiction), but there's no harm in it.

Well if Will Ferrel didn't play the same character in every single film he was in, we'd probably all like him more.

Amnestic:

Flying-Emu:

Amnestic:

psrdirector:

Danzaivar:

"Wave"? Looking at the WoW forums, it's more like a constant river. A stream of endless bullshit, lies, half truths and massive whining over the tiniest of things.

Like that Celestial Pegasus horsey thing people could buy for real money. Haruhi's Skirt that was a boring topic but it went on and on and on.

Well, when it starts, it's a typhoon. Then it just is relegated to that mildly irritating storm that most people don't pay attention to.

geldonyetich:

I bet they spent 2 years updating the models and half a year making the single player, lets be honest starcraft 2 is just WC3

overall they made 180 million and spent maybe 20 on the 30 people making the game full time

ionveau:

geldonyetich:

I bet they spent 2 years updating the models and half a year making the single player, lets be honest starcraft 2 is just WC3

overall they made 180 million and spent maybe 20 on the 30 people making the game full time

Two things, Starcraft 1 used sprites, so they really made them from scratch.

And hey, SC2 doesn't have heroes :P

But enough nitpicking.

Mornelithe:

Worgen:

strum4h:

Worgen:

Oh come on, there's a big difference between utter shit and boring.

if hes going to challenge the fact I said it looks boring to ME then Im taking it to the next level

-sniffles and wipes away a tear-

That'll do, Blizz. That'll do.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.