StarCraft II Sells Three Million In a Month

Pages PREV 1 2

John Funk:

It's an even more impressive number given that the game is 100% exclusive to Windows and Apple PCs.

What's with the condescending tone in that sentence against PC games? Honestly there's more depth and interest in a single PC exclusive game then there is in the whole Halo/Killzone series (take you pick) of all the games of it's squeals put together. What's that? Oh, that's right, it's called S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. How about some Crysis to dish up? Oh, isn't The Witcher 2 coming down the pipe? Exactly!

P.S. Only on the PC would a game like this work so well because of the mod-ability and creativity that it expands on.

Twilight.falls:

ionveau:

geldonyetich:
I wonder if 3 million sales was enough to offset the tremendous budget they probably spent on the thing's prolonged development.

I bet they spent 2 years updating the models and half a year making the single player, lets be honest starcraft 2 is just WC3

overall they made 180 million and spent maybe 20 on the 30 people making the game full time

Two things, Starcraft 1 used sprites, so they really made them from scratch.

And hey, SC2 doesn't have heroes :P

But enough nitpicking.

StarCraft II does have heroes, like Jim Raynor, Odin/Tychus Findley, Egon Stentmen, that dwarf-like armory guy whom I forget the name of, Zeratuel and all those other protoss heroes in the mission "Utter Darkness". My apologies for misspelled names, I'm certain that I've screwed up on a fair few of them.

But yes, the graphics of SC2 were completely remade and often they'd start over to keep up with graphics changes (ie. like platform changes), the campaign would easily have been the easiest thing to create, there's also the Galaxy Editor and the sheer power that it has for players to mess with.

Baron_BJ:

StarCraft II does have heroes, like Jim Raynor, Odin/Tychus Findley, Egon Stentmen, that dwarf-like armory guy whom I forget the name of, Zeratuel and all those other protoss heroes in the mission "Utter Darkness". My apologies for misspelled names, I'm certain that I've screwed up on a fair few of them.

True, but they don't level up or have items a la Warcraft 3, though custom fan-made maps can create Warcraft 3-esque heroes with experience and items and stat increases and whatnot.

Deathfish15:

John Funk:

It's an even more impressive number given that the game is 100% exclusive to Windows and Apple PCs.

What's with the condescending tone in that sentence against PC games? Honestly there's more depth and interest in a single PC exclusive game then there is in the whole Halo/Killzone series (take you pick) of all the games of it's squeals put together. What's that? Oh, that's right, it's called S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. How about some Crysis to dish up? Oh, isn't The Witcher 2 coming down the pipe? Exactly!

P.S. Only on the PC would a game like this work so well because of the mod-ability and creativity that it expands on.

Get off your high horse, the article didn't bash PC games, nor is it about moronic console wars. That statement refers to how normally a release is on multiple platforms, allowing for better sale, like MW2, it sold very well which was helped immensely by the fact it's available on PC, PS3 and Xbox360, it's sales would have been far lower if limited to one platform type. In other words for A PLATFORM EXCLUSIVE it has sold extremely well.

somelameshite:
And people say that PC gaming is dying? Really?

And also, screw those balance changes, I want my damn region lock removed!

Agreed.

Worgen:

if hes going to challenge the fact I said it looks boring to ME then Im taking it to the next level

Is that really a challenge though? He simply pointed out that there are people out there who find entertainment in things you don't. That should honestly be a fairly simple concept to grasp.

3nimac:
I actually think this is a rather low number considering the scale of things. 1.5 mil in the first two days but only 3 mil after a month? It would seem that the game reached its zenith so close to the release its depressing. I think that everybody who planned to get the game already bought it, and that the ones who didn't are either waiting for a discount or not interested. Now comes the slow decline in popularity and sales... Until the hype train for HotS gets rolling. God knows when that will be. ;)

3 million is good, dragon age made about 3.2million sales and that was on three different platforms.

Deathfish15:

John Funk:

What?

Dude, simple numbers game. Multiplatform titles always sell better because they have a larger audience, and the PC always seems to get the least amount of sales between the three major platforms. (see also - any of the COD games, which sell best on 360, usually second on PS3, and (relatively) worst on PC). I wasn't insulting the PC as a platform at all.

And I wonder how many people have pirated it? I can tell you that there are probably at least a million, all of which have now bought copies, because it was good. See how we function now? Also, yeah, how long ago did the first game come out? Eons? Yeah, who the fuck wouldn't buy it? (other than guys like me who don't have gaming PCs and have never played the first)

Most of the sales are from people who pirate the game, then realize they want to buy the game for real. Right?!?

I just wish my 4 year old computer could run it.

: (

Amnestic:
Well deserved sales. Would be nice to see it break the record of total RTS sales which is currently held by Starcraft 1.

I do wonder how they're going to factor in Heart of the Swarm/Legacy of the Void into sales. Aren't they meant to be "standalone" expansions in comparison to Broodwar which required SC1?

Eh, what made you think that? Those will continue the story, same way every previous Blizzard expansion did. They are not spin offs or anything. Did you hear someone at Blizzard say that?

I wonder how much a Blizzard game would make if it didn't have the 'craft' added to the end of the title?

Mornelithe:

Worgen:

if hes going to challenge the fact I said it looks boring to ME then Im taking it to the next level

Is that really a challenge though? He simply pointed out that there are people out there who find entertainment in things you don't. That should honestly be a fairly simple concept to grasp.

yes, if I had said "starcraft 2 sucks and is horrible" then that would be a correct thing to challenge since it makes a broad statement, however since I said "to me" that means its a personal opinion that is not necessarily shared and by countering it he is inferring that my opinion is invalid and therefor we must kung fo fight

Worgen:

yes, if I had said "starcraft 2 sucks and is horrible" then that would be a correct thing to challenge since it makes a broad statement, however since I said "to me" that means its a personal opinion that is not necessarily shared and by countering it he is inferring that my opinion is invalid and therefor we must kung fo fight

Yeah but what he said wasn't a challenge. Just as you said it was boring to you, he said other people like stuff you don't, that's not challenging you. That's not even remarking on the intelligence of what you've said up to this point. But whichever, if you feel your honor's been sullied, by all means.

It's just too bad the campaign is a little dissapointing. Some great features and all, but on the whole it's quite drab (the story I mean).

Worgen:

Mornelithe:

Worgen:

And I get to record it and put it on youtube.

OT: Good for Blizzard. Personally I will buy it after I get though the first one. I just can't start with the sequal.

ionveau:

geldonyetich:
I wonder if 3 million sales was enough to offset the tremendous budget they probably spent on the thing's prolonged development.

I bet they spent 2 years updating the models and half a year making the single player, lets be honest starcraft 2 is just WC3

overall they made 180 million and spent maybe 20 on the 30 people making the game full time

SC2 is WC3 in the same way that Killzone, Halo and Call of Duty are all Counter Strike.

ark123:

ionveau:

geldonyetich:

SC2 is WC3 in the same way that Killzone, Halo and Call of Duty are all Counter Strike.

i would agree if only all those games used the same engine and had the same game mechanics

ionveau:

ark123:

ionveau:

geldonyetich:

i would agree if only all those games used the same engine and had the same game mechanics

They do. Get guns, kill the other players with your team.
If you want to be more specific, you'd have to notice WC3 is all about leveling your hero and getting good items for him/they (which is why most games end when the biggest hero dies), while SC2 is about setting up an army composition that will combat the opponent's and scouting constantly to do so. If you ever played the games for more than an hour you'd know how dramatically different they are.
In wc3, you'll hardly ever see a player take more than one expansion. In sc2, it's common to take 3+. In wc3, the hero's ultimate ability will either hurt another hero really bad or destroy a base. In sc2, you have to make enough units to overrun another army if you wanna take out structures.
There are neutral monsters in wc3.
Sc2 maps are much bigger.
Nothing gains experience in sc2.
Towers are actually very expensive in sc2.
I could go on, but I think I made my point. They're nothing alike, and you're only drawing parallels because they're from the same company. It's like saying Sc2 and Diablo are the same game.

" It's an even more impressive number given that the game is 100 percent exclusive to Windows and Apple PCs. "

As opposed to what? The vast array of Linux gamers?

ma55ter_fett:
In those 3 million people, you think at least one would be worse at the game than I am.

I'm worse at it than you, I just learned during the beta I wasn't good enough to play against anyone else... so I never bought the game... maybe when it gets lower in price I might consider it....

It's a great core game but they have got to do something about the writing next time around, and for fuck's sake fix the custom map system already.

You know, the one that people said was horrible back in the closed beta?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.