Halo Movie Still Possible, Says Microsoft

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Halo Movie Still Possible, Says Microsoft

The first attempt to get Master Chief up on the big screen may have failed, but Microsoft says that hasn't soured it against trying again.

The Peter Jackson/Neil Blomkamp Halo team-up fizzled and died over a year ago, and although this made the excellent District 9 possible, it left Halo fans movie-less. This may not always be the case however, as Frank O'Conner, franchise development director for Microsoft's dedicated Halo studio 343 Industries, says that Microsoft is still interested in making a movie out of the series.

According to O'Connor, Microsoft has created a great deal of documentation and resources to support a feature film, as well as developing scripts from Alex Garland, Stuart Beattie, D.B. Weiss and Josh Olson as possible blueprints. O'Connor says that Microsoft has a good idea of the kind of story it wants to tell, but doesn't want to do it just for the sake of doing it. He suggested, however, that it wouldn't just be a straight retelling of the Halo story, and wouldn't require prior knowledge of the games. O'Connor also hinted at the possibility that it might turn to television, rather than movie theaters, as the venue to tell the Halo story.

Considering the scale and popularity of the Halo franchise, it's hard to blame Microsoft for not wanting to rush into making a movie just for the sake of getting something up on the screen. Microsoft retains the film rights, so it has the option of waiting until it has something - be it a script or a director - that it's really confident in.

Source: Variety via Kotaku

So they may make a "made for TV movie" miniseries/tv show/possible made for tv movie?

Really?

i excpect nothing less of something that blows all the alien and predators movies out of the water.

At least it won't just re-tell the story in the games, I'm glad to think that their would be a new story, and possibly new characters.

No. No no no no no no no no no.

Bad idea, is all I'm saying.

Just, don't get my hopes up again. My interest in Halo becoming a movie burned out years ago.

If they can get someone who knows what they are doing it will be fantastic...its, getting it to happen though

I just hope they dont let some B-Rated DIrector get a hold of it...Enough bad Games to Movies out there...

ecs:
They're going to make a movie about 12 year olds cursing and calling everyone gay?

How the hell could they make a movie about the multi-player? Theres a Single-player, a damn good one, with a really good story if you pay attention. But you know, who gives a shit about that right?

Irridium:
So they may make a "made for TV movie"?

Really?

No...they make a television series.

I for one, while not the biggest Halo fan, would at least give this movie a shot. And I have to give them credit for not rushing into a movie that may disappoint millions of people.

I hope they dont make one, movies based of video games usually do very poorly.

Its the only thing halo that perks my intrest.

Irridium:

Really?

No, there are such things as "miniseries" or even regular "seasons"

HigherTomorrow:

Irridium:

Really?

No...they make a television series.

Sam_Winchester:

Irridium:

Really?

No, there are such things as "miniseries" or even regular "seasons"

Thats not particularly reassuring.

If they make a movie I hope they get the guy who made all those live-action halo commercials.

Snowalker:

ecs:
They're going to make a movie about 12 year olds cursing and calling everyone gay?

How the hell could they make a movie about the multi-player? Theres a Single-player, a damn good one, with a really good story if you pay attention. But you know, who gives a shit about that right?

IT'S CALLED A JOKE.

Also, the story is really good with a set of really important quantifiers. It's good
if you know what's going on
if you know the characters
if you read up on everything
and most importantly to me, if you played the first two games. Now, I was a PS2 owner for years and years before converting to the 360, and I don't feel like Microsoft and Bungie should punish me for that. I had to call my friend up every ten minutes to tell me what was going on as I played. And he had played the original two games and STILL wasn't very clear about what was going on so that should tell you something about Halo's storyline.

Seriously, a Star Wars-y text crawl, Halo 3? Something, please. I had no idea where I was, what I was doing, or who I was supposed to be opposed to. Also, pausing the action every ten minutes for Cortanna or whoever to go "I CHOOSE YOU, SPARTAN" got really old. However, it was the only part of the story I really cared about. The connection between sentient machine with artificial personality and mindless human with no personality was actually a terrific dichotomy, and kept me interested more than whatever the aliens were doing.

But anyway, yes, Halo will be made into a movie someday. And just like the Mass Effect movie and Silent Hill sequel, no one will be happy about it. Trust me.

developing scripts from Alex Garland, Stuart Beattie, D.B. Weiss and Josh Olson as possible blueprints.

He suggested, however, that it wouldn't just be a straight retelling of the Halo story

I was reading an interview with Alex Garland in the latest edition of Edge, and he says his script was just a straight adaption from the first game. It sounds like they need to start from scratch rather than try and salvage previous work.

In a way I'm glad they're not rushing it (I'm not a big fan of the games). I'd wish more companies would have this kind of respect to their IPs, rather than get Uwe Boll.

Halo Movie Still Guaranteed to Suck, Says Anyone Who Has Seen a Game-to-Movie Adaption.

I just hope it falls through and we get another District 9 sort of deal.

I already know the ending to Halo, I played the game.

Only worth paying attention to if it's as high quality as their short live action advertisements like Landfall, We are ODST, and Deliver Hope. Otherwise, I don't really care.

ecs:

Call it a hunch... But I think they are gonna base the movie/series on the single-player part of the game, or possibly the books... Rather than the multi-player part.

Peter Jackson/Neil Blomkamp team up would have been perfect, now my enthusiasm is waning a little, only reason to see it now is to piss off movie bob. after the expendables hysterya its funny to hear him whine and i know he hates halo.

(hell imagine if it does an expendables and kills one of his favouite films, i'm calling the rights to run the betting pool for how long until he shuts up)

other than that, i'll still always class this as a missed opportunity.

it's been so good so far... don't take it too far!

If they make a TV series can it have a awesome begging like Band Of Brothers? Like Master Chief dropping his helmet then doing that weird fase out thing? Okay to be serious I hope they do come out with the movie, I wanna see how they do this and if it isn't following the original story it will be something new so I say go for it.

Snowalker:

ecs:

I think you mean good gameplay and a mediocre story mate :)

Don't really care. Call me when people decide to make an interesting game into a movie. Then I might care.

numbersix1979:

Snowalker:

ecs:

IT'S CALLED A JOKE.

Also, the story is really good with a set of really important quantifiers. It's good
and most importantly to me, if you played the first two games. Now, I was a PS2 owner for years and years before converting to the 360, and I don't feel like Microsoft and Bungie should punish me for that. I had to call my friend up every ten minutes to tell me what was going on as I played. And he had played the original two games and STILL wasn't very clear about what was going on so that should tell you something about Halo's storyline.

Return of the King also sucks if you don't know any of the characters or read any of the previous books. And the first two Halo games are backwards compatible on the 360, so I don't really get why you wouldn't play them if you were interested in the story.

Also, I don't really see how your friend's inability to communicate clearly has to do with Halo's story. Maybe he just sucks at remembering things?

a stranger:
If they make a movie I hope they get the guy who made all those live-action halo commercials.

enzilewulf:
If they make a TV series can it have a awesome begging like Band Of Brothers? Like Master Chief dropping his helmet then doing that weird fase out thing? Okay to be serious I hope they do come out with the movie, I wanna see how they do this and if it isn't following the original story it will be something new so I say go for it.

Thanks guys, you wrote my comment for me.

numbersix1979:

Seriously, a Star Wars-y text crawl, Halo 3? Something, please. I had no idea where I was, what I was doing, or who I was supposed to be opposed to. Also, pausing the action every ten minutes for Cortanna or whoever to go "I CHOOSE YOU, SPARTAN" got really old. However, it was the only part of the story I really cared about. The connection between sentient machine with artificial personality and mindless human with no personality was actually a terrific dichotomy, and kept me interested more than whatever the aliens were doing.

But anyway, yes, Halo will be made into a movie someday. And just like the Mass Effect movie and Silent Hill sequel, no one will be happy about it. Trust me.

You would have been fine with Halo 3 if you just played Halo 2, the series is what you might call a Two Part Trilogy. Or perhaps you could have read a plot summary of the first two games, those are easy to find and cost nothing. Really though, is it such a big deal for a direct sequel to presuppose some familiarity with what it is a sequel to? Plus the 360 has always had the capability to play both Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2, never having an Xbox doesn't prevent you from playing those.

You should also qualify your statement about "the Mass Effect movie." I don't really see how it (which doesn't exist) is related to any Silent Hill sequel of which several exist.

Mausenheimmer:

numbersix1979:

Snowalker:

ecs:

IT'S CALLED A JOKE.

Return of the King also sucks if you don't know any of the characters or read any of the previous books. And the first two Halo games are backwards compatible on the 360, so I don't really get why you wouldn't play them if you were interested in the story.

Also, I don't really see how your friend's inability to communicate clearly has to do with Halo's story. Maybe he just sucks at remembering things?

Hollywood already tried to do a movie for both the single player FPS aka DOOM or the multi-player FPS aka GAMER.

A long time ago there was a movie called robocop that was about a mix of terminator with Dirty Harry. they had a few successful conversions to the tv land. It allowed people to care more for the characters.

A Halo tv series might make people care more versus a Halo movie which will have to be better than every FPS turned movie to date. Pretty big shoes to fill while tv series gives microsoft more room to create the story they want to present.

I also find it odd that you couldn't follow the story in the Halo games. That story was pretty simply laid out for you. I can understand confusion with a FPS game like Half-life or Resistance or Mass Effect.

Just few things that popped to my mind is that what is their target group who to make this movie/series for. I mean like is it for those who know whole story, but then again it ignores those who hasn't even played the game and in my opinion that ain't right.

Second thing is that if they do movie out of some book that has already written... Well we know what will going to happen there for example Lord of the Rings, some things will be left out and fans go raging.

If they do TV series out of it I hope its quality is somewhere near what Band of Brothers was and maybe it should be mini series? But that way if they make it to TV they can slow the pace and go trought some backrounds etc.

ecs:

No that is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: The Movie

OT: If they do it right it will be an amazing movie. They do it wrong it will suck. I have high hopes for a movie about Halo so hopefully they won't completely fuck it up.

Snowalker:

ecs:

I can tell you I didn't.

OT: Just focus on the movie but don't tell it through Master Chief's story. Do an ODST soldier or something where 117 plays a key role, but isn't the protagonist.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here