Halo Movie Still Possible, Says Microsoft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

ecs:
They're going to make a movie about 12 year olds cursing and calling everyone gay?

Thats the call of duty movie

The Halo movie will probobly be better.

I'm just glad that they're not taking it lightly. Video game movies are widely-known as box office and critical shits. Microsoft seems to want to turn Halo into a legitimate sci-fi action blockbuster instead of terrible fan-service.

numbersix1979:

Snowalker:

ecs:
They're going to make a movie about 12 year olds cursing and calling everyone gay?

How the hell could they make a movie about the multi-player? Theres a Single-player, a damn good one, with a really good story if you pay attention. But you know, who gives a shit about that right?

IT'S CALLED A JOKE.

Also, the story is really good with a set of really important quantifiers. It's good
if you know what's going on
if you know the characters
if you read up on everything
and most importantly to me, if you played the first two games. Now, I was a PS2 owner for years and years before converting to the 360, and I don't feel like Microsoft and Bungie should punish me for that. I had to call my friend up every ten minutes to tell me what was going on as I played. And he had played the original two games and STILL wasn't very clear about what was going on so that should tell you something about Halo's storyline.

Seriously, a Star Wars-y text crawl, Halo 3? Something, please. I had no idea where I was, what I was doing, or who I was supposed to be opposed to. Also, pausing the action every ten minutes for Cortanna or whoever to go "I CHOOSE YOU, SPARTAN" got really old. However, it was the only part of the story I really cared about. The connection between sentient machine with artificial personality and mindless human with no personality was actually a terrific dichotomy, and kept me interested more than whatever the aliens were doing.

But anyway, yes, Halo will be made into a movie someday. And just like the Mass Effect movie and Silent Hill sequel, no one will be happy about it. Trust me.

You think you're being punished for not playing the first two games in a trilogy? That's like watching Return of the Jedi before A New Hope, and The Empire Strikes Back. You'd think the whole series was mediocre just from watching it because it wasn't as good, and I'm pretty sure you'd be confused as to what was going on. The text crawl gives you some idea, but it's not enough to flesh out the characters nor give enough back story. Plus putting that in a game would be just...weird and you'd have a lot of people complaining about it.

Anyway, the game isn't THAT confusing if you just jumped into Halo 3 like I know a couple of my friends did. How do you not know who you are opposed to? I would've thought a group of aliens attacking Earth would be a big hint. And if your friend didn't understand the first 2 games there is something wrong with him, or he just skipped the cut scenes.

When does the action get paused every ten min. and when does Cortana say "I choose you." He's not a Pokemon, and she couldn't have "chosen" anyone else.

Anyway I'm sort-of looking forward to this movie, I don't really have an opinion on it until we find out who the concrete director and writers are.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Star Wars text scroll tells you what happened between the movies, Halo 3 picks up immediately after Halo 2.

The only thing that would get me to watch this was if at the end he took off his helmet and it was Chuck Norris. I don't care much for Halo or the Chuck Norris jokes, but that would turn the whole series into a complete joke...

Krion_Vark:

ecs:

No that is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: The Movie

OT: If they do it right it will be an amazing movie. They do it wrong it will suck. I have high hopes for a movie about Halo so hopefully they won't completely fuck it up.

aha, so true

but yeah, I'm glad they're approaching this with a good mindset. if they make a film, it has got to be good and not just some quick cash grab.
this isn't actually new news but...well ok the television series route? err let's not do that...

Made for TV? So...they saw Red versus Blue and said, "Hey, we can do that!"

The series already lends itself well to creating new stories and characters outside of the main plot (everything involving Master Chief). So for once, a movie script might not shit all over the characters and established lore.

Note that I said 'might not'. It's totally possible for a Halo movie to miss the point of Halo, and considering how piss simple it is on paper, that's saying a lot.

Then again, video game movies have traditionally failed because the director or screen writers went "We never played the games, but we do have the plot synopsis, and we do have the branding license! We can do better than that! We can make this marketable!"

ecs:

"Eli Roth? Is that you?"

Those shorts by Blomkamp were awesome, I wouldn't mind if they actually did it. But the Master Chief really should not be the main character, maybe just a cameo.

Hmm, I quite like Alex Garland.

Hasn't anyone twigged that the reason Halo keeps failing to be made into a film is because it hasn't got a good enough story to be turned into a film?

I LOVE Halo, I even love the singleplayer, I even love the STORY of the singleplayer, but come on. It's just generic humans vs. aliens, and unless they changed the narrative so much that the film would be unrecognisable as a Halo film, it wouldn't stand a chance against the already excellent sci-fi humans v. aliens films out there.

It works in the game because its a story that makes for a good game, not because its a story that transcends medium. Of all the games that are out there, why people think a generic apocalyptic sci-fi FPS story should be able to break the game-adaptation curse is beyond me.

Atmos Duality:
The series already lends itself well to creating new stories and characters outside of the main plot (everything involving Master Chief). So for once, a movie script might not shit all over the characters and established lore.

That could be said for a lot of failed film adaptations. In the end most execs are too paranoid to deviate from the game fiction for fear of alienating their core audience. Besides, I'm not sure what new 'story' could be made. This is a story about military men fighting an alien apocalypse, no matter who you choose to follow other than Master Chief, this is still fundamentally the core of the narrative. So in the end it could never be much different than the general progression of the game series.

This is how it all starts, Im expecting this to come out 13 years from now after microsoft makes Icon go broke from suing them for delay after delay then finally not making the end sequences therefore never releasing it...

wait sorry

Look needs a full theater release, and needs to open up with a CG short done by pixar about the 5 grunts that lead the boarding party on the Pillar of Autum in Halo 1.

My first thoughts on a Halo movie are usually negative. Being a netnerd that comes with the territory. But then I watch things like the "Monsters" CGI from Halo Wars and I start hoping someone gives it a try and does the Spartans justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWaf8CVS6cg

Still a shame the Jackson/Blomkamp project went south. After seeing District 9 it just makes me really wonder what they had in mind for a Halo film. D9 was probably my favorite movie from that year. *sigh* Oh what could have been.

They'll make it, it'll be crap, it'll make millions.

This is going to be a toss up. I say it will probably flop unless Peter Jackson or James Cameron directs this shit. Trust me just like all other fanboy movies it will be rushed through production to make a quick buck, but lack the quality to succeed. Only the fanboys will buy it on Blu Ray and watch it once then just have it to say they have it and trust me I just learn from the past and history always repeats itself. Take Dragon Ball Z for instance or even Doom the movie. All Fanboy flops.

Dude we already had these Halo Legends piece of shit episodic that never made sense to me. Only the last episodes were worth something.

Just give me a high-budget movie already!

kintaris:

I LOVE Halo, I even love the singleplayer, I even love the STORY of the singleplayer, but come on. It's just generic humans vs. aliens, and unless they changed the narrative so much that the film would be unrecognisable as a Halo film, it wouldn't stand a chance against the already excellent sci-fi humans v. aliens films out there.

"Humans vs. Aliens" is not a story, it's a small part of the story. It's in fact just part of the setting. And really, for as common a setting as this is in video games there's actually almost nothing in the way of blockbuster movies that use it.

Doomsday11:

Snowalker:

ecs:

How the hell could they make a movie about the multi-player? Theres a Single-player, a damn good one, with a really good story if you pay attention. But you know, who gives a shit about that right?

I think you mean good gameplay and a mediocre story mate :)

Well, that your opinion, I agree somewhat, its just if you bother to look up some of the story, it makes the in-game story all the more grand. But, I see your point.

P.S. when I said, a damn good single-player, I was implying game-play more than anything else.

Finally, my screams about the Halo movie still in progress is finally made public so people will stop making Halo Movie Threads.

Good to see this news.

If they do make a movie, I just hope it will like Halo: Reach, which had a awesome campaign.

AfterAscon:

developing scripts from Alex Garland, Stuart Beattie, D.B. Weiss and Josh Olson as possible blueprints.

He suggested, however, that it wouldn't just be a straight retelling of the Halo story

I was reading an interview with Alex Garland in the latest edition of Edge, and he says his script was just a straight adaption from the first game. It sounds like they need to start from scratch rather than try and salvage previous work.

In a way I'm glad they're not rushing it (I'm not a big fan of the games). I'd wish more companies would have this kind of respect to their IPs, rather than get Uwe Boll.

Same here, rushing things out and treating IPs like prostitutes has never ended well. I hope they take their time and end up making a great film which puts the hole "videogame movie" curse to rest.

Snowalker:

Doomsday11:

Snowalker:

ecs:

I think you mean good gameplay and a mediocre story mate :)

Well, that your opinion, I agree somewhat, its just if you bother to look up some of the story, it makes the in-game story all the more grand. But, I see your point.

P.S. when I said, a damn good single-player, I was implying game-play more than anything else.

Actual mate I have read the books and additional fluff and I still stand by my belief that the story will nice for those who either don't want a major story driven game or aren't well versed in sci-fi,but when you have access to starship troopers and gaunts ghost etc.
Halo really dosen't compare. Once again sorry mate not trying to flame or anything just pointing out that storys about powered armored space marines exist and are far more in depth then fall of reach or anything else bungie produces. :)

of course the Halo movie is still possible,
the Halo movie being any good is the thing that's impossible

Doomsday11:
Snip.

No, don't mis-understand me, I agree completely, but you see, when you said Mediocre, most people who say that are actually implying bad, you were actually using for what it was. So, I completely agree with you. I was merely saying that, Halo has "redeeming values" that most modern fps's don't.

I watched legends and I have to say that I'm almost scared to look deeper into halo's storyline.

Tbh i would rather see a halo movie NOT followin the master chief i think hes being set up to much. On saying that makin aload of apperances in the movie would be good.

Wait, but there's Halo legends.
I realise they're just small animation clips, but still fairly good.
I liked it :|
The first clip that was shown was the awesomest.It told the story about how those rings came to be and stuff.

Never mind a Halo movie, just make a red vs blue movie. now that would be epic!

I'm actually extremely thankful the Halo movie never happened, because I got to see the excellent District 9, which is up there in my top ten films of all time (and I am a pretty big Halo fan too.)

Snowalker:

ecs:

Wow you are dense....that went RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD.

I saw let Roosterteeth make the movie and get Monty Oum there to capture it all!

The Rookie Gamer:
If they do make a movie, I just hope it will like Halo: Reach, which had a awesome campaign.

Wait, howd you know already?

Because Halo has such an evolved, masterfully realized world that would so benefit from being adapted to film -_-

NO NO NO!!

This a bad idea! Doomed to fail! Don't do it.

Cassita:
Because Halo has such an evolved, masterfully realized world that would so benefit from being adapted to film -_-

I raged for about half a second reading that... Then I got to the end of the sentence and was contented.

kintaris:

That could be said for a lot of failed film adaptations. In the end most execs are too paranoid to deviate from the game fiction for fear of alienating their core audience. Besides, I'm not sure what new 'story' could be made. This is a story about military men fighting an alien apocalypse, no matter who you choose to follow other than Master Chief, this is still fundamentally the core of the narrative. So in the end it could never be much different than the general progression of the game series.

Have you ever actually seen a film adaptation before? Half the time, they have little to do with the original material besides a few names. See: Dragonball: Evolution.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.