Gearbox Owns the Duke

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Well yeah, it looks a bit brown, but it's certainly not taking itself seriously at all. I think I'd probably check it out based on that alone...

Money well spent? Ok gearbox, show me what ya got. Make good games out of played out forgotten IPs. Anyone care to guess the price for "the full rights to duke". I certainly hope they got a sizable "dukecount". They better have a demo though becuase if the game doesn't make me "Have to own it" in the first 30minutes I'm not gonna bother.

HentMas:
AND WHO ELSE REALLY THINK THIS IS JUST THE MOST ELABORATE PRANK IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF VIDEO GAMES!?

Valve: G-Man and Duke are the same person! HL2:E3 release timed to coincide with DNF.

mjc0961:
They make it sound like Duke Nukem is some stellar franchise up there with the greats like Super Mario. Did I miss something? Last time I checked Duke Nukem was never that good.

In its heyday I believe it was comparable to Quake or maybe even Doom in its popularity. I didn't like it that much but I know lots of people who did. I don't know about when it was a platformer.

Alon Shechter:

Nobody owns the Duke!

Yeah, pretty much my response.

You can't own the Duke!

oktalist:

HentMas:
AND WHO ELSE REALLY THINK THIS IS JUST THE MOST ELABORATE PRANK IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF VIDEO GAMES!?

Valve: G-Man and Duke are the same person! HL2:E3 release timed to coincide with DNF.

You know... after all this daffness, insanity, and stupidity that has been the DNF development saga, I wouldn't be totally surprised if this happened.

I enjoyed the short look I got at PAX.

We got to play the game for 15 minutes after a talk from Gearbox. They were also handing out one of the best swags of the con: bottles of 'steroids' with Duke's picture on them. The pill bottles had white mints inside. On the label under Drug Facts it says: "1000% D.V. of Awesome 300% D.V. of Attracting Chicks and 200% D.V. of Kicking Ass"

I also managed to get the voice of Duke Nukem: Jon St. John's signature and a "Hail to the King" shirt. Fun times.

They are really confident that the game will sell well, and I trust Gearbox to make a good game out of it

I also dont see why people say that the game is going to be generic, the game is probably going to be crazy as hell, with puns and a lot of humour, and in a market full of dramatic games its good to have something different.

Ralen-Sharr:
I guess maybe Yahtzee will get a chance to do a second pass on the review for this one

I will be very, VERY dissapointed if he re-reviews it, that being said, I await the cooking portions of Duke Nukem Forever.

Maybe we will need to use the Pig Cops for recipe parts.

OT: Im intrigued to say the least when they said "all future projects featuring the Duke".....

More Duke Nukem games, in my game library?

it might be more likely than you think.

" "all future projects" featuring the Duke."

Now that's a secntace i like a lot and one i thought i would never hear. Well played Gearbox and Take Two, well played.

Well it's official, hell has now frozen over and the devil is sick of sin.

HentMas:
Interesting

Yahtzee┬┤s review was the winner on the "ZP: choice award"

does it means he will review it... again??

I'd love to see that happen. Two reviews up for the same game. Or he'll release the same one again as a joke.

Well this'll be an odd contrast to Brothers in Arms.

I can't wait for this game. Shit or not, I don't care just make it a fun game!

Irridium:
"Salvage enough interest in the game".

From what I understand, almost everyone on the internet will buy this game.

Not me my friend. And I doubt anyone my age or younger will. We can't remember Duke Nukem games.

Shycte:

I trust Gearbox with this.

I think the reason he is smiling in that picture is because he has a gun.

Oh the irony

After all this Duke Nukem Forever talk, I got a huge urge to play Serious Sam HD, which seems kinda like a Duke Nukem tribute band.

Great now they should do what needs to be done with this game: throw it in the bin and never speak of it again (let's be honest, given the amount of time this game has taken most people are going to be incredibly disappointed and slam it into the ground).

Megacherv:
After all this Duke Nukem Forever talk, I got a huge urge to play Serious Sam HD, which seems kinda like a Duke Nukem tribute band.

Indeed, I feel that too

Are they getting our hopes up only to dash them down?

Irridium:

That's a tough call. There's a huge level of online interest in the game, sure, but how much of it is just rubbernecking at the latest chapter in this ridiculously drawn-out train wreck? It's the Snakes on a Plane syndrome: It attracted massive amounts of attention from the nerd fan base but when the rubber met the road, it was all just ironic lolz. Nobody actually went to see it, and it bombed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if DNF worked out the same way.

(For the record, I saw Snakes on the Plane. It wasn't as good as I'd hoped, which of course is another concern facing DNF: Over-hype.)

josemlopes:

Megacherv:

Indeed, I feel that too

Go and play it now, and set the colour saturation up to full.

Do it!

Surely this is a sign of the coming zombie apocalypse...if Duke can be brought back from the dead, what does that say about us mere mortals?!

Ralen-Sharr:
I guess maybe Yahtzee will get a chance to do a second pass on the review for this one

You know that won't happen. He'll skip it just to piss everyone off.

Andy Chalk:

Irridium:

That's a tough call. There's a huge level of online interest in the game, sure, but how much of it is just rubbernecking at the latest chapter in this ridiculously drawn-out train wreck? It's the Snakes on a Plane syndrome: It attracted massive amounts of attention from the nerd fan base but when the rubber met the road, it was all just ironic lolz. Nobody actually went to see it, and it bombed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if DNF worked out the same way.

(For the record, I saw Snakes on the Plane. It wasn't as good as I'd hoped, which of course is another concern facing DNF: Over-hype.)

True enough I suppose. From what I've seen thats what happened with Alan Wake. Got massive amounts of hype due to how little it was shown, then when it came out it didn't sell particularly well.

Gearbox co-founder Randy Pitchford began his career at 3D Realms, working on the Plutonium Pak expansion for Duke Nukem 3D in 1996 along with the somewhat less-well-received FPS Shadow Warrior.

Hey, I loved Shadow Warrior! Sure it was a Duke clone, but it was really gory, you had a katana to slice your enemies (a gimmick that Hideo Kojima seems to be into now) and some funny voice acting. Plus how many shooters give you naked anime chicks and a Beating Heart for a weapon?

I'll buy it when it come out.

Why, "I did it for the lulz"

Well it's looking like the world will end a year early if this game really comes out. Ok in all seriousness I can bet that a shit ton of people will buy this game regardless. I hope, however, all these years of waiting will produce a good game and not crap. Please Gear Box treat the Duke well.

twm1709:
Hey, I loved Shadow Warrior!

I liked it too. Wish I could find a copy somewhere. But it terms of sales or popularity, there's no comparison.

And I lost interest. But those were fun times, touching the strippers when I was a very young kid in the older Duke Games.

I'm really not sure what to make of this. I think the Duke had his time in the sun but his whole character seems like the product of a time that has quite clearly passed. I think they'll have to do a hell of a job to sell it to people these days.

Andy Chalk:

Gearbox was "hand-picked as the new home for Duke Nukem,"...

... by the bank to sell off the only assests that the company has worth more than the base price of copper?

But seriously, though I don't share the passion for the duke many seem to, good for the fans. I only hope now that they'll delivery, or else they'll be labelled the 'destroyers' of Duke as opposed to his saviour, heh.

I wonder if this is all just a huge joke being played on the internet...that would be amusing.

...Lets get one out before we start on others...

Andy Chalk:

Irridium:

I think with DNF we are past hype. There is really nothing that can be done from a marketing stand point other then what they did at PAX. Put the game in people's hands and let them play it. I think that the older gamers who actually played the old Duke games and liked them will be the ones that buy it out of the gate. (If they are still willing to give Duke a chance) If the buzz is good after that then the younger gamers might take a look.

I can tell you from my 15 minutes playing the PAX 2010 demo that it is old school but that might work for it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here