New PS3 Update Kills Jailbreak

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

New PS3 Update Kills Jailbreak

Sony isn't just fighting the new PS3 mod chip in the courts, it's taking the battle to the people.

Sony has struck back against users of the PS Jailbreak, a USB mod chip that allowed users to copy and play games from the PS3's hard drive, with a new security update. The 3.42 update is described as including additional security features, and seems to fix the exploit that allowed the PS Jailbreak to work.

The update will also be required to access PSN, meaning that the users have to choose between the Jailbreak and going online with their PS3. Richard Leadbetter, of Eurogamer's Digital Foundry, believes that hackers will now attempt to reverse-engineer this, and future, firmware updates in order to produce custom versions that leave the exploit intact.

This could mark the start of a firmware "arms race," with Sony and various hackers going back and forth trying to outdo each other. Presumably, Sony has something of an advantage, as every one of its firmware updates will have to be cracked, not just the ones that deal with security. It's naive to underestimate the resourcefulness of hackers though, and it's unlikely that we've heard the end of this.

Source: Eurogamer

It has begun..

i can see where the hackers are coming from on this... the ability to copy a game to the hdd of a ps3 and xbox is pretty pointless when you still have to have the cd in to play... im not an expert but couldnt something be implimented like steam has on the pc where the game and its key is linked to your account... the files have to be activated then you can play the game without a cd... but no one else can install that game because its made unique by the games own security and your steam account.

Well done to Sony for reacting to the hackers quickly and effectively. I just hope they can continue to counter them as they inevitably re-hack the thing.

This is about what happened with the PSP and the hackers won that arms-race, this should be interesting to watch. I'm on Sony's side in this but that doesn't really matter.

You know I remember when a PS3 update used to add new features. When are they going to update the flash player, or implement cross game chat, or do something besides cover their asses?

Generic Gamer:
This is about what happened with the PSP and the hackers won that arms-race, this should be interesting to watch. I'm on Sony's side in this but that doesn't really matter.

I was going to say the same thing. My money is certainly on the hackers; you can't fight them. Sony should at least be happy their console's security lasted for this long.

I'm rooting for Sony, though I think it is a lost cause. If these hackers want in, I'm sure they'll find a way. Sony can't keep trying to patch updates forever.

Oh great, I am expecting a lot of firmware updating in the next few months.

silverbullet1989:
i can see where the hackers are coming from on this... the ability to copy a game to the hdd of a ps3 and xbox is pretty pointless when you still have to have the cd in to play... im not an expert but couldnt something be implimented like steam has on the pc where the game and its key is linked to your account... the files have to be activated then you can play the game without a cd... but no one else can install that game because its made unique by the games own security and your steam account.

Isn't that basically an extended PS store?

Any time I see shit like this... It makes me think the people who made Jail break are secretly on Sony's pay role and they just churn this shit out every two months to make bank on greedy people...

Autofaux:
It has begun..

I am ready for the ApocalyPS3, are you?

Sony you poor ignorant fools....you will NEVER win against the people.

Ugh...I wish the damn thing was hacked already so I can avoid the mandatory firmware bricking.....

I'm going to guess that the hackers' USB dongle can be updated over the web as well - otherwise the hack distributors are going to have a lot of displeased customers XD

And this is how SkyNet is created. Thanks a lot Sony, I guess the PS3 really does everything. Like enslave the human race! D:

I hope Sony wins this..

Hackers make it worse for people who pay up fair and square..

You know, the guys who made the jailbreak hack they may have been able to get away with it (at least for a little longer), if they hadn't all but shouted their achievement from their balconies. It seemed stupid that they make something like this and then basically paint Sony a great big target.

thenumberthirteen:
You know I remember when a PS3 update used to add new features. When are they going to update the flash player, or implement cross game chat, or do something besides cover their asses?

I guess I'm the only person in the world that doesn't want cross gaming chat, last thing I want to hear is someone capturing Tango in MW2 while I'm trying to play KillZone 2.

The Lost Big Boss:

Autofaux:
It has begun..

I am ready for the ApocalyPS3, are you?

The ApocalyPS3 actually killed 40gigs off my hard drive, how the hell I don't know, I had 80gigs and then suddenly, 31gigs.

Pirates are bad for the gaming industry, but at least they enourage the software companies to be more thorough with their security.

Corpse XxX:
I hope Sony wins this..

Not really the only thing bad about modding is idiots who think they can take copies online without issue.

To all the people who cite PSP as some sort of proof for hacker power -- Sony won that one, in the end. Since firmware 5.50 (right now it's 6.31) there has been no way to play pirated games on any PSP-3000, PSP Go or the newer PSP-2000. You can only pirate on phat PSPs and early slims, or on very early PSP-3000s (and only as long as you don't update, obviously). There is an exploit to run homebrew on later PSPs, but it does not give access to lower system functions, so no pirated UMD copies or PSN titles.

Corpse XxX:
I hope Sony wins this..

I wish I could believe this. We've not seen any improvement or cost decrease in games during the period that the PS3 has been secure. It would be lovely if Sony rewarded those that are loyal to the brand but unfortunately that won't happen. The big business boys are more interested in squeezing as much they can out of the community so they can buy their next luxury yacht.

Sony really offered themselves to the wolves by removing the 'Other OS' capability, there was never any justification for hacks or exploits prior to that as there was no legitimate reason to exploit the platform.

As a software developer, I liked the idea of the PS3 linux partition but found it was very awkward to use in conjunction with my kids wanting to use the PS3 for normal use. The USB device would give me a great temporary way of running unsigned *legal* code on the platform, and I'd like to be able to do that.

I saw the update this morning. I can only hope that Sony won't release an effing update everyday, the same situation which annoys honest PSP users...

Alright, more firmwire updates that aren't going to do anything. God damn it. I hate you, jailbreak people.

I think the hackers will win. Sony will have to keep spending money to deal with this, they may have a lot of it but it will start to eat into their budgets. Whereas the hackers are doing this for fun, so they'll just keep going and going and going.

Sinclose:
I saw the update this morning. I can only hope that Sony won't release an effing update everyday, the same situation which annoys honest PSP users...

Updates peaked in 2007-2008 with on average one update a month, there have only been two updates this year.

2010 - 2 updates
2009 - 8 updates
2008 - 12 updates
2007 - 13 updates
2006 - 9 updates
2005 - 7 updates

source

Not really that much of an annoyance to honest PSP owners, more of an annoyance to the *dis-honest* ones if anything...

Carlston:
Any time I see shit like this... It makes me think the people who made Jail break are secretly on Sony's pay role and they just churn this shit out every two months to make bank on greedy people...

I tend to think this as well, or if they're not working for them now then they soon will be.

junkmanuk:

Sinclose:

Updates peaked in 2007-2008 with on average one update a month, there have only been two updates this year.

2010 - 2 updates
2009 - 8 updates
2008 - 12 updates
2007 - 13 updates
2006 - 9 updates
2005 - 7 updates

source

Not really that much of an annoyance to honest PSP owners, more of an annoyance to the *dis-honest* ones if anything...

It's an annoyance to anyone using a PSP, honest or not. Except that dishonest ones just need to download the crack to the firmware additionally, that's all. Although a monthly basis at its peak only seems fair enough.

Modus Operandi:
To all the people who cite PSP as some sort of proof for hacker power -- Sony won that one, in the end. Since firmware 5.50 (right now it's 6.31) there has been no way to play pirated games on any PSP-3000, PSP Go or the newer PSP-2000. You can only pirate on phat PSPs and early slims, or on very early PSP-3000s (and only as long as you don't update, obviously). There is an exploit to run homebrew on later PSPs, but it does not give access to lower system functions, so no pirated UMD copies or PSN titles.

If this lad is right, then it seems that the honest owners are the victors after all.

if someone plays pirated games it won't affect you personally, so why are you glad?

Perhaps I like sticking it to the man a little too much, but I cheer on the hackers for trying to unlock the system. The greedy bastards that run the big three video game companies deserve it for gouging the customers for so long.

As soon as the deeper levels of the system were cracked it was a lost cause.

I'm just going to call it, but I foresee console makers implementing an internal self-destruct feature like the Ironkey flash drives use. When the console detects tampering, it self-destructs internally, and it won't even have to be connected online to happen, or even plugged in. It would guarantee all data would be lost forever, and the system would be completely unusable. Hello millions of future paperweights. :P

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Perhaps I like sticking it to the man a little too much, but I cheer on the hackers for trying to unlock the system. The greedy bastards that run the big three video game companies deserve it for gouging the customers for so long.

~_* gouging customers hows that? I never can figure out statements such as this one, as oh they charge too much...ect...ect video games aren't a required part of daily life, they aren't water, food, or air. they are a hobby you have a choice in whether you take part in the video gaming culture, Hobbies are all ways going to cost a premium its as simple as that..

People need to make money to support them selves, developers, companies...they all employ people that need to make money, So none of these companies are gouging anyone. Its much like the pirate bay people actually believe they are in the right, that what they don't provide is a service that allows others to steal...ect...ect As though some how every thing should be free. Its quite...dishonest and very dis-respectable. I would respect a person that stole because they wanted it for free, But when people start making up illusions such as I deserve this, those companies deserve it...ect is when I start losing respect for thieves.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I don't think you get what's happening. If the PS3 is hacked, and the games are no longer secure from piracy (which is what this jailbreak does), it won't be the PS3 that suffers initially, it will be the developers... you know, those guys who make those games you love to play. The PS3 will only suffer if the piracy gets to the point that the developers avoid releasing titles for it.

Just calling it now, if this get's to the point where PS3 owners have to be online always to install their games and need serial keys or whatever to confirm ownership (just like our good ol' pc) then in this scenario it's the pirates who started it... Just in case we have some piracy promoters here thinking PS3 is the big bad man, oppressing the little guy.

And don't give me that bull that this was done so that PS3 owners can play their games without the disk. The only reason someone would expend such effort to break a consoles security is for piracy and piracy alone.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here