New PS3 Update Kills Jailbreak

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

NameIsRobertPaulson:

WilliamRLBaker:

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Perhaps I like sticking it to the man a little too much, but I cheer on the hackers for trying to unlock the system. The greedy bastards that run the big three video game companies deserve it for gouging the customers for so long.

~_* gouging customers hows that? I never can figure out statements such as this one, as oh they charge too much...ect...ect video games aren't a required part of daily life, they aren't water, food, or air. they are a hobby you have a choice in whether you take part in the video gaming culture, Hobbies are all ways going to cost a premium its as simple as that..

People need to make money to support them selves, developers, companies...they all employ people that need to make money, So none of these companies are gouging anyone. Its much like the pirate bay people actually believe they are in the right, that what they don't provide is a service that allows others to steal...ect...ect As though some how every thing should be free. Its quite...dishonest and very dis-respectable. I would respect a person that stole because they wanted it for free, But when people start making up illusions such as I deserve this, those companies deserve it...ect is when I start losing respect for thieves.

When you consider just how much of the profits for a game go directly into the developer's pocket, and how little the workers get paid, you get a little peeved. I pirate to hurt the developer. The worker gets paid whether the game tanks or not.

wow you are under some quite odd illusions. the workers still get paid even if a game tanks...~_* so I assume you all so believe that if a company never makes money from its games then its workers still make money right?
*shakes head* your all so under odd illusions that some how every company is this dishonest entity that gouges customers and its execs are constantly skimming off the top line.
But I doubt you even know how buisness works. It certainly seems that way if you think every developer holds back mucho money for its execs or something.

Why didn't sony deny they've plugged the thing, so that everyone would download the firmware, then they can deal with the surprise failure of their fake piracy?

So...hackers are desperate to make this thing work, and sony is just as desperate for it not to...

This could get interesting.

WOO! Go Sony! Go get them pirates!

WilliamRLBaker:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

WilliamRLBaker:

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Perhaps I like sticking it to the man a little too much, but I cheer on the hackers for trying to unlock the system. The greedy bastards that run the big three video game companies deserve it for gouging the customers for so long.

~_* gouging customers hows that? I never can figure out statements such as this one, as oh they charge too much...ect...ect video games aren't a required part of daily life, they aren't water, food, or air. they are a hobby you have a choice in whether you take part in the video gaming culture, Hobbies are all ways going to cost a premium its as simple as that..

People need to make money to support them selves, developers, companies...they all employ people that need to make money, So none of these companies are gouging anyone. Its much like the pirate bay people actually believe they are in the right, that what they don't provide is a service that allows others to steal...ect...ect As though some how every thing should be free. Its quite...dishonest and very dis-respectable. I would respect a person that stole because they wanted it for free, But when people start making up illusions such as I deserve this, those companies deserve it...ect is when I start losing respect for thieves.

When you consider just how much of the profits for a game go directly into the developer's pocket, and how little the workers get paid, you get a little peeved. I pirate to hurt the developer. The worker gets paid whether the game tanks or not.

wow you are under some quite odd illusions. the workers still get paid even if a game tanks...~_* so I assume you all so believe that if a company never makes money from its games then its workers still make money right?
*shakes head* your all so under odd illusions that some how every company is this dishonest entity that gouges customers and its execs are constantly skimming off the top line.
But I doubt you even know how buisness works. It certainly seems that way if you think every developer holds back mucho money for its execs or something.

I carry a very pessimistic view of people, especially people in power, until they prove otherwise. Example: The Pittsburgh Pirates baseball team is constantly one of the lowest payroll teams in the game, trading off star players to keep the payroll down. Last month, it was found that the team's executives made $30 Million while the team suffered in last place. Then the team raised ticket prices for next year.

When JP Morgan went under for the whole bank subsidy problem that has effectively damaged the U.S. economy, the top members took the money the government gave them to stay afloat, and paid massive bonuses to the top members just before the company collapsed.

Money makes the world go round, and the people in power know this better than anyone. Money gets distributed from the top down, not the other way around. The lower workers always gets their minimum wage, therefore, all the profits that pirates steal, come out of the top members pocket books.

When you make money, you deserve it for your work. When you raise prices, then don't pay the real workers at the bottom, you're doing something morally wrong.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Though some of them may get laid off, a sequal be cancelled or the studio close due to loss in profit/sales if a ton of people do that.

I think the only way for Sony to counter these hackers is to hire them to work for Sony itself.

:[

Well duh, this is what they do. That's part of the reason they keep coming out with new PSP's. This is what Sony is known for in their making up excuses for re-releasing 7 versions of the same console and making us buy it over and over for the same crap we've been trying to play the whole time.

ColdStorage:

thenumberthirteen:
You know I remember when a PS3 update used to add new features. When are they going to update the flash player, or implement cross game chat, or do something besides cover their asses?

I guess I'm the only person in the world that doesn't want cross gaming chat, last thing I want to hear is someone capturing Tango in MW2 while I'm trying to play KillZone 2.

Well I'm not too bothered about it, but it means I can chat with my friends without having to quit my game. I'd rather have a better browser so I can watch my streaming movies from the lovefilm website in my living room. Of course my PS3 YLOD'd yesterday so I'm not going to be doing any of that.

Rooting for the hackers.
Closed systems are bad.

'Legit' users are annoyed because the DRM crap is up their asses being annoying.
While the hackers hack precisely because the DRM is annoying.
Well, some of them. I'm sure many just want free games.
Publishers need to get a clue and understand that you don't beat piracy by punishing legit users.

Sinclose:

Modus Operandi:
To all the people who cite PSP as some sort of proof for hacker power -- Sony won that one, in the end. Since firmware 5.50 (right now it's 6.31) there has been no way to play pirated games on any PSP-3000, PSP Go or the newer PSP-2000. You can only pirate on phat PSPs and early slims, or on very early PSP-3000s (and only as long as you don't update, obviously). There is an exploit to run homebrew on later PSPs, but it does not give access to lower system functions, so no pirated UMD copies or PSN titles.

If this lad is right, then it seems that the honest owners are the victors after all.

What do honest owners gain from pirates who will no longer play the games they won't pay for?

thenumberthirteen:

ColdStorage:

thenumberthirteen:
You know I remember when a PS3 update used to add new features. When are they going to update the flash player, or implement cross game chat, or do something besides cover their asses?

I guess I'm the only person in the world that doesn't want cross gaming chat, last thing I want to hear is someone capturing Tango in MW2 while I'm trying to play KillZone 2.

Well I'm not too bothered about it, but it means I can chat with my friends without having to quit my game. I'd rather have a better browser so I can watch my streaming movies from the lovefilm website in my living room. Of course my PS3 YLOD'd yesterday so I'm not going to be doing any of that.

ohhh ouch, what model did you have?.

I've just done a minutes silence in your PS3's honour.

Modus Operandi:

Sinclose:

Modus Operandi:
To all the people who cite PSP as some sort of proof for hacker power -- Sony won that one, in the end. Since firmware 5.50 (right now it's 6.31) there has been no way to play pirated games on any PSP-3000, PSP Go or the newer PSP-2000. You can only pirate on phat PSPs and early slims, or on very early PSP-3000s (and only as long as you don't update, obviously). There is an exploit to run homebrew on later PSPs, but it does not give access to lower system functions, so no pirated UMD copies or PSN titles.

If this lad is right, then it seems that the honest owners are the victors after all.

What do honest owners gain from pirates who will no longer play the games they won't pay for?

The knowledge that while they're paying for their games, there are no longer people out there who get the exact same service illegally for free.

WilliamRLBaker:
As soon as the deeper levels of the system were cracked it was a lost cause.

That's the thing, they weren't. From what I've been able to gather, it's some sort of hacked development kit, the person using it is in essence pretending to be a licensed game developer so that the PS3 will allow unlicensed software to run. The backup launcher or whatever it's called is one such unlicensed software. That is not to say that this won't eventually unleash the long-held-back hacker hordes who will crack the system itself, but so far it hasn't happened. Then again I might be wrong, of course, only working on what I've been able to dig up from Google.

Corpse XxX:
I hope Sony wins this..

Hackers make it worse for people who pay up fair and square..

I wholeheartily agree. Can't hackers go back to what they used to do before hacking? ...oh wait...

Anyhow, I'm rooting for Sony, and here's hoping that the hackers DIAF. (Sorry if this insults anyone, this is just my own personal opinion).

Sinclose:
The knowledge that while they're paying for their games, there are no longer people out there who get the exact same service illegally for free.

The number of pirates was reduced, sure, but it's a long cry from "they are no longer". You can still buy the old models all over the internet; all you can say for sure is that pirates won't be upgrading to the 3000 and Go models any time soon, that's about it.

What I mean is, Sony won the "arms race" against hackers in the end (as they are bound to with their own platform and especially if it needs to connect to their servers like the PS3), but that only stopped the piracy form spreading, not in any way eliminate the models already hacked.

On one hand, I support Sony's right to enforce anti-pirating and keeping their system intact, but on the other hand:

DAMN, those hackers are good. It'd be a shame for them to all get sued or something. I kinda respect people who'll look a giant like Sony in the eye, and say "SCREW YOU"

Well, thats one way to shut them down - and avoid messy legal battles. Hat goes off to Sony

Well the hacks have already been modified to get past the new firmware. This is gonna be more or less a game of tennis with Sony releasing a patch to block the latest hacks.

It's a shame as the only people that suffer is the legit users who have to download 160MB sized patches every week. (on my slow connection it takes about half an hour in total to download and install)

Why don't Sony simply block the machines that are pirating from the PSN like MS did? Instead of messing about with a losing battle

ColdStorage:

thenumberthirteen:

ColdStorage:

thenumberthirteen:

It was the best model the 60gb launch model (expanded to 120gb) with backwards compatibility and card readers.

Because hackers can't hack?

Sony 1: "Damn. The PS3 has been hacked! What should we do?"

Sony 2: "I know! Let's update the firmware!"

Sony 1: "Yeah! They'll never figure out how to break that!"

Sony 3: "Um, guys, shouldn't we just focus on keeping our paying customers by providing them with quality content, rather than waste resources slowing hackers by a day or two?"

Song 1 & 2: "No, that's a stupid idea. So, about that new firmware..."

I hope Sony gets what's coming at it.
Gotta be REALLY REALLY stupid, seriously, just INCREDIBLY stupid, to take out Linux functionality when you KNOW it's what's keeping the hackers/crackers/scene/howeverthehellyouwannacallthem from cracking your system to dust.

Sony asked for this, and I really hope the scene grants them their wishes. In spades. (Mind you, this is not a pro-piracy statement, I don't even have a PS3 myself, I just wish to see stupidity punished).

Jaredin:
Well, thats one way to shut them down - and avoid messy legal battles. Hat goes off to Sony

Oh yes, shut down. The code has already been released throughout the internet and being rewritten for use in iPods, iPads, iPhones, PSPs, several kinds of smartphones, and even the bloody DualShock 3 itself.
It's only a matter of time before they find a way through this, if they haven't already.

Nope, after they released the ps3.5 (the so-called "slim"), sony will never again get sympathy from me.
After all, I paid fair bit o' cash for one of the first models, and then blam, it was obsolete like sony had been sitting on slightly better tech all along...
And even if they hadn't had the tech at the time, it was wrong of them to expect me to buy the system twice.

happy_turtle:
Well the hacks have already been modified to get past the new firmware. This is gonna be more or less a game of tennis with Sony releasing a patch to block the latest hacks.

It's a shame as the only people that suffer is the legit users who have to download 160MB sized patches every week. (on my slow connection it takes about half an hour in total to download and install)

Why don't Sony simply block the machines that are pirating from the PSN like MS did? Instead of messing about with a losing battle

It probably has something to do with the system working as advertised or a law somewhere.
Or you know, they are smart enough to realize that the ire they'd create by doing so is not really worth it.

Generic Gamer:
This is about what happened with the PSP and the hackers won that arms-race, this should be interesting to watch. I'm on Sony's side in this but that doesn't really matter.

There is a major difference however. There were big periods between CFW builds during which you couldn't go online, and even now going online is hard on cfw.
That isn't a big deal for the PSP, the console is mostly used on the move, most games don't have online, and even those that do, you usually don't buy them to play online.
PS3 on the other hand has a lot of online content, and a console that can't go online loses 50% of its features, so long periods of time with no online means a lot users of the pirated software will give up.

There are still those who don't care about online on the PS3, but its significantly less than those who don't care about online on the PSP.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
I carry a very pessimistic view of people, especially people in power, until they prove otherwise. Example: The Pittsburgh Pirates baseball team is constantly one of the lowest payroll teams in the game, trading off star players to keep the payroll down. Last month, it was found that the team's executives made $30 Million while the team suffered in last place. Then the team raised ticket prices for next year.

When JP Morgan went under for the whole bank subsidy problem that has effectively damaged the U.S. economy, the top members took the money the government gave them to stay afloat, and paid massive bonuses to the top members just before the company collapsed.

Money makes the world go round, and the people in power know this better than anyone. Money gets distributed from the top down, not the other way around. The lower workers always gets their minimum wage, therefore, all the profits that pirates steal, come out of the top members pocket books.

When you make money, you deserve it for your work. When you raise prices, then don't pay the real workers at the bottom, you're doing something morally wrong.

1) How many Pittsburgh Pirate fans do you know of? Or the Red Skins in football? There is a supply/demand factor in their numbers that makes the owner think if they could earn more by under playing their team and operating at optimal costs (what EVERY business does) or do I attempt to bankrupt myself and try to run it closer to my costs equaling my revenue. If you are so inclined to the "true sportsmanship of potential teams" like that, cheer for the Packers or just watch the European league.

2) JP Morgan paid their think tank (mostly) with that money. You can get another bank teller anywhere, but people who go to school for math and econ (hello) are considerably harder to come by. There is a reason why actuaries are one of the highest paying professions out there.

3) And who says that the owners (who had to fork over a ton of cash to own these franchises) didn't "earn" their money when they look at the numbers and decide to change one of the variables? Go tell that theory to a business analyst, all they do is attempt to trim the fat of corporations to make them run smoother by looking at numbers and changing ticket prices.

I will assume that you like the PS3 (you have the PSN badge after all) and so do I. However, if the hackers completely dominate the system (as you are hoping for in your posts) then the people on top won't make anything for it because there will be no returns. They will ultimately stop making games for it, and then everyone is SOL. Then you will be stuck with an out dated system because they went bankrupt attempting to fight them, or they released a PS4 that has higher anti-hacking definitions.

Denamic:
Rooting for the hackers.
Closed systems are bad.

'Legit' users are annoyed because the DRM crap is up their asses being annoying.
While the hackers hack precisely because the DRM is annoying.
Well, some of them. I'm sure many just want free games.
Publishers need to get a clue and understand that you don't beat piracy by punishing legit users.

There was no DRM crap on PS3 that would interfere in any way with the legit user, so everything else in your logic is useless.

oranger:
After all, I paid fair bit o' cash for one of the first models, and then blam, it was obsolete like sony had been sitting on slightly better tech all along...
And even if they hadn't had the tech at the time, it was wrong of them to expect me to buy the system twice.

What do the newer models have that the older ones don't? I'm still using a 40GB version (3rd release I think it was) expanded to 120 GB and haven't found any logical reason whatsoever to upgrade... are the older models missing something compared to the new ones?

thenumberthirteen:

ColdStorage:

thenumberthirteen:

ColdStorage:

thenumberthirteen:

It was the best model the 60gb launch model (expanded to 120gb) with backwards compatibility and card readers.

Holy sweet Mary mother of Jesus, I too have one of those, the PS3 Model C (I believe its called), the card reader cover is currently open at "half mast" in respect of a fallen comrade.

Do all you corporate ass-kissers realize that Sony stole the Other OS feature from legit, paying customers? Is that perfectly OK with you?

And before anyone spouts the "don't run it online if you want the Other OS" crap, you need to understand the implied agreement in any software purchase. Customers know they are buying product that isn't necessarily perfect, however they expect to get updates which move the software closer to perfect and maybe add some implied but not implemented features.

Belladonnah:
There was no DRM crap on PS3 that would interfere in any way with the legit user, so everything else in your logic is useless.

If having to have the disc in the drive on the PC is considered cumbersome DRM, wouldn't the same be true for the consoles, when they have the capacity to install the game on the drive?

Also, if your console is lost/stolen or broken (and you don't want to pay $150+shipping for repairs), you automatically lose access to any and all PSN video content, both already purchased and any you might want to buy/rent in the future. You can only regain access if you manage to convince a Sony representative to restore it for you, which has to be done over the telephone, is not easy and ends in a failure more often than not, if Internet is to be believed. The DRM on PSN game content is more lenient (you get 5 chances instead of 1), but it's still the same system.

The hackers always, ALWAYS, win. This will be no different.

It's the right of the customer to do with their hardware as they wish, including hacking it. It's the right of Sony to make their updates mandatory for online access. Sony, however, will always lose in the long run, the hackers are smarter and more numerous. And all it takes is one of them figuring it out for the entire world to have access to the new hack. Hell, but fighting the jail breaking so hard, all Sony is doing it putting a gigantic target on their backs, the good hackers like nothing so much as a challenge.

Wonder how much money Sony is going to spend on this bullshit before they recognize the futility of their situation.

Ya know what, I kinda side with the hackers on this one but NOT on the piracy side
Ive been looking into this and there is a guy working on a port of DCemu (Dreamcast emulator for PC) and a PS2 one (basically, bringing backwards compatability back)
I have a about 48 PS2 games Id love to play again but for 2 TV related reasons (TV in my room is actually a PC monitor with VGA and HDMI only, no scart or aerial...TV in living room is huge and PS2 games look awful on it) I cant/dont play my PS2
My Dreamcast has this annoying habit of resetting itself lately but looks awesome running VGA (the only way I can run it, see above, no scart or aerial) which means that over 50% of my games I cant play due to some not supporting VGA
This could potentialy open up the way for alot more emulators to hit the system, which in my opinion is a good thing especially if they release an Atari 2600 emulator =) Trying to find them things cheap is like pulling teeth

It also allows homebrew development as well, which is a good way for alot of people to get their ideas out and, while alot of you may not agree with me on this, can proplong a systems lifespan
For example, the Dreamcast, although discontinued in 2001 is still going well into 2010 and for the foreseeable future due to homebrew development

So, yeah I support them BUT not on the whole piracy thing as even more developers will suffer

Begun, the hacker wars has...

Looks like this particular hack is nullified
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kmfDeasuoA&feature=related

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook