Sony "Move vs. Stuff" Website Promotes Move Hilariously

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony "Move vs. Stuff" Website Promotes Move Hilariously

When competition develops complex charts to compare the value of your products, the best way to respond is always with humor.

Microsoft might think that competition to Kinect would be tough to develop and that Kinect's price of $149 is a steal, but Sony has definitive proof that these facts are wrong. With a new selection of websites promoting PlayStation Move, overseen by spokesman Kevin Butler, Sony may have won the propaganda war.

First off, Sony creates a chart of its own called "Move vs. Stuff" that I really can't disagree with. According to the chart, the only similarities between PlayStation Move, the Nintendo Wii, and Microsoft's Kinect are that they all include a power cord, while Move has a ton of other features.

You've also got "Yay Buttons" which explains what "buttons" are and how they work. Though Sony says buttons aren't "save the whales important," it does think they are "not play games that suck, important." Sony presents that gaming without buttons is "craziness" and humorously goes on for quite some time to explain why too.

Another odd aspect of the promotion is the Sensitive Fireman. After putting in a few choices to personalize his message, you can send your girlfriend or grandma a video message from the Sensitive Fireman that will definitely convince her to either buy you PlayStation Move, or to get in on the action when you play.

Microsoft is taking itself pretty seriously with the release of Kinect, while Sony is mocking it at every turn. When it comes to products that are supposed to be fun, I think I prefer Sony's approach.

Source: Move vs. Stuff

Looks like they copied the chart for the LRR jamtroller...

That's funny, but I'm expecting a flamewar at any second. I just hope people realize that his is a joke and that chart really isn't an argument.

Playstation Move does not play blu-rays itself. The PS3 does. But whatever. It's funny.

Wait, didn't sony release the first of the ridiculous non-parody comparison charts?

-m

"Because Sometimes you need to compare stuff to other stuff." God I wish i worked in marketing. That is the kind of thing I could think up every day.

Matt_LRR:
Wait, didn't sony release the first of the ridiculous non-parody comparison charts?

-m

Funny, I remember something like that too.

This one is kinda good though.

I love the PlayStation blurb at the very bottom of the chart.
It only does way more than they do

Sony Marketing? You guys keep getting better at what you do.

I have to say - I quite like the 'yay buttons' bit on that site.

Well, I certainly like the light hearted approach. It's all pretty silly after all.

Matt_LRR:

-m

This one barely counts as a parody anyways. They're still pimping their features as hard as possible. They just added a few humorous lines and pretended it's all a big joke. Not sure how admitting that what you're doing is retarded makes it any less retarded.

I'm quite liking this marketing campaign. Especially the 'Yay Buttons'. Seriously, just click on that for a while. There's some pretty funny stuff.

who's Sony's audience again? it seems like they are try a hit 'n' miss approach by aiming to everyone and have no core audience.

I'm not too sure if that's a logical thing to do however there is much at stake if they fail....again.

Matt_LRR:

-m

Ya, when the PS3 first came out they made one. It was funny then too. At least now they're trying

The YayButtons site was hilarious, it alsmot made me want to buy a PS3.

"It only does way more than they do"... Priceless.

This is some funny stuff. Maybe not Kevin Butler funny, but close enough. :D

Matt_LRR:

-m

I was just thinking that... damn ninja!
Damn good ninja!

I own an Xbox 360 and I am happy with my console of choice, but I still love the PlayStation advertising, especially Kevin Butler. They always make me laugh and stay memorable, and that is the point of an advert, to make you pay attention to the product.

I don't like the recent motion sensor war because I think it is just a stupid gimmick. However, I do prefer the PlayStation Move to the Microsoft Kinect. If I did care about motion gaming, maybe it would be enough for me to by a PS3.

Yay Buttons is possibly the best peice of gaming advertising in ever.

Except for that Halo one with the war vets. That shit was cool too.

Its silly and funny enough not to be considered flamebait for the other two companies.

I can understand making a funny chart, which would easily be possible, but it would be nice if they could make it somewhat factual as well. The first three entries and the one at the bottom about 3D don't need Move, just a PS3. Surely they could have put more effort into making it factual and funny at the same time.

The rest of the site is pretty good though.

At least one company knows that marketing is a rather large part of the game. Sony, you keep getting things right. Keep Kevin Butler around and this is in the bag.

I find it really funny. I'm pretty sure its the PS3 that does those features anyway.

But who cares, they're just going to annoy fanboys.

Blu-ray™ Player

PS3, not Playstation Move.

Stream Movies and TV with Hulu Plus

Err, no I can't for most of the world. There is more to the world than the US, Sony. (Microsoft is also guilty of this with Netflix.)

Free access to PSN® for demos, HD movies and PS One™

Well, yeah, and Microsoft has free access to XBL for demos, HD movies, and XBLA (you only need to pay for Xbox Live to play multiplayer). Also misleading. PS One games aren't free on PSN.

Camera tracks controller for precise gameplay

Unique Feature #1

Full immersion with HD graphics and pinpoint accuracy

The 360 has HD too. The second point is the same as the least feature.

Game like never before. In 3D. That's right, 3D.

Oh yay, your gimmick has gimmicks.

Controller feedback you can feel and see

Unique Feature #2

Includes power cord

Well, it'd be an unfeature not to. *glares at apple*

Anyway, anal nitpicking done, it was pretty funny.

Disclaimer: I am a PS3 fanboy and am planning to buy at least one set of Move controllers on the 17th. That said, I find Sony's Move marketing to be a big Win.

I love it; sarcastic wit is always a plus when it comes to marketing.

Hey guys, we can make fun of our product too. We're totally cool and hip. Right? right... guy...?

Companies trying to appeal to a young crowd by proving that they are not "the man" but our something else is an old marketing ploy and I will not be fooled by it. Until they get a decent game for the thing (will probably take a half year at least) Sony can take their Move and shove it where the sun don't shine... THE ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT!

Hehe, the fireman video obviously doesn't have(good) censors on what you can put in. Fun stuff.

It must be fun to be on Sony's marketing team. I wanna work there now..

I am sure there cherry picked list will look good against what they decided not to measure it against...so bias

The yay buttons is is indeed funny...

...But they are shooting themselves in the leg. Becuase you know what else turns out to be pretty important? Sticks. Control sticks. You know what else is kinda important to make games not suck? Not makeing us flail like idiot to play them. Leaning back and just playing without having to workout for it.

The whole motion controller thing is just retarded. Super retarded - there is not motion feedback, so it feels fake, and its just not fun. We've played the wii, wii know it sucks.

You both suck, how about that? You with your idiotic 3D fad and Wii-like motion control and Kinect for it's horrible eyetoy gimmick shit.

Wait...is the begining of...fun console wars? The likes of which we haven't seen since SNES vs. Genesis? Anyway, good job Sony...that was actually pretty funny.

Straying Bullet:
You both suck, how about that? You with your idiotic 3D fad and Wii-like motion control and Kinect for it's horrible eyetoy gimmick shit.

Actually it's pretty much a given that 3D gaming is going to be a part of future gaming, probably not this specific type. If you've never played a game like Bad Company 2 or Killzone 2 in 3D then you don't know how awesome it is to see bullets whiz past your head.

KoreyGM:

Straying Bullet:

Actually it's pretty much a given that 3D gaming is going to be a part of future gaming, probably not this specific type. If you've never played a game like Bad Company 2 or Killzone 2 in 3D then you don't know how awesome it is to see bullets whiz past your head.

Your intentions are noble but your arguments are not.

3D causes headache and whatever negative side effect. Even whilst watchig it in a passive manner e.g. 3D movies, I feel sick because of it. Imagine trying to be activily involved and respond to 3D in a rapid manner. No thanks.

So long glasses aren't required and the price goes down, sure. Why not?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here