Jack Thompson Vows to Stop Medal of Honor

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Jack Thompson Vows to Stop Medal of Honor

Former lawyer Jack Thompson says he intends to stop the release of EA's Medal of Honor and has sent a letter to U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates seeking his help.

Thompson, a notorious anti-videogame crusader who was disbarred in 2008 for his unrepentant, unrelenting litany of misconduct over the years, may no longer be a lawyer but he obviously still retains his hated for videogames and lust for the limelight. It's been awhile since we've heard from him but EA's upcoming Medal of Honor seems to have stirred him from his slumber.

Thompson faxed a letter to Robert Gates, the U.S. Secretary of Defense, in which he called upon Gates to take action to stop the release of the game. He criticized it on several points and accused Electronic Arts of disregarding the ESRB rating system by allowing anyone to preorder the game, regardless of age. He also told Gates that he would be justified in imposing a ban because the high level of realism makes it an effective training tool for the Taliban and other forces currently engaged with the U.S. military.

"With all respect for everything else on your plate, but as someone who has represented the surviving family members of such videogame-caused massacres, I personally urge you, as Secretary of Defense, to do what is necessary, proper, and legal to stop the release of Medal of Honor on October 12 on the basis that it poses a demonstrable danger to our troops by providing a training tool for those who wish to kill them," Thompson wrote. "I would also strongly suggest that the Defense Department find out who these Special Ops people are who have acted so foolishly in this regard [by consulting on the game]."

"Finally, I believe the full weight of the federal government should come down upon Electronic Arts and the videogame industry's Entertainment Software Association for their allowing, presently and fraudulently, despite promises to Congress, the widespread pre-sale of this adult game to minors throughout the country and around the world," he concluded.

Thompson acknowledged to PCMag.com that he's not representing anyone as a lawyer, because he's not a lawyer anymore. "I am speaking on behalf of a number of people who believe that EA should not be selling such a game to minors, particularly one that allows one to play the role of the Taliban," he said. "Beyond that, I am not presently authorized to identify anyone. That may change in a day or two. I intend to stop the release of the game."

Gates has not yet responded to Thompson's letter, but his counterparts in the U.K. and New Zealand have expressed strong disapproval of the game, with U.K. Secretary of Defense Liam Fox asking retailers to voluntarily "ban this tasteless product." The likelihood of any kind of ban against Medal of Honor in the U.S., however, or even of Gates acknowledging Jack's existence look pretty slim at this point.

Medal of Honor comes out on October 12 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

This guy again?
Well I guess if Duke Nukem Forever is finally coming, anything can happen. And this time, whats happening is fucking stupid.

I think this dude needs a lil bit of STFU Medicine
A game is just a game no matter how real it can be, many people seem to have forgot that.

The devil doesn´t die...he evolvs!

Seriously though, FUCK! I thought we got rid of that guy.

"By providing a training tool for those who wish to kill them"

He's either completely insane, or a completely insane genius.

Charcharo:
This guy again?
Well I guess if Duke Nukem Forever is finally coming, anything can happen.

you took the words right out of my mouth.

Gah, just when I thought things were starting to pick up. The man has no legal standing, he was disbarred for marginally less mad things than this before!

if I were ea I would issue a press release saying that "we have heard your crys and now we will replace the taliban in the multi player with other american troops and instead of recording kills it will record friendly fire incidents" see how that goes over

video game massacres? what is he representing the digital remains of my rampages on prototype?

But you don't even PLAY the role of a taliban soldier, your team just gets a different voice actor and skin than the USMC.....

Everyone is playing as a faceless, nameless soldier with absolutely no goal in life other than to capture imaginary points and kill infinitely respawning faceless soldiers. Who also have no goals in life.

Why are you still doing these stories, Escapist. Jack Thompson has been disbarred and now he's just a troll. Don't feed the troll, Escapist, and he'll starve.

Mr. Thompson obviously has a very strong opinion about video games and although it upsets everyone here we should respect him but letting him rant and promptly ignore him, like civilized people.

You would think being disbarred as a lawyer would have made him think twice about this sort of thing. And as for the anyone can pre-order MoH, Im pretty sure you need a credit card to pre-order a game... And if some one has a credit card Im pretty sure they will be atleast 17...

Edit:Just reread this. "Thompson faxed a letter to Robert Gates, the U.S. Secretary of Defense, in which he called upon Gates to take action to stop the release of the game."

What the hell could the Secretary of Defense do to stop the game?

Well, they were really begging for this.

A game involving the Taliban causes uproar? What a shocker!

Hubilub:
"By providing a training tool for those who wish to kill them"

He's either completely insane, or a completely insane genius.

Everything is possible with Jack Thompson.tm

Now just watch the UK and New Zealand Defense people distance themselves from Thompson, just like all of his "supporters". Its actually an insult to call Fox and the other a "counterpart", because they still have their jobs, and I can understand somewhat where they are coming from.

Thompson on the other hand, is willing to whore himself out just to get a chance to throw more crap at a game. Again, its the whole double-standard at play here, as suddenly its not fine to fight Taliban in-game (they didn't look at it that way), yet its fine to fight Nazis and Cold-war era Russians (and as them as well).

Seriously, lock this guy in a psych ward...

And that "training tool" idea has been ripped off of thousands of other excuses far before Thompson entered the scene, starting with Doom.

In other news, a howler monkey screamed loudly and threw poop at visitors today.

What? one howler monkey story is as good as another. :D

I don't see the difference between killing Americans as Taliban in multiplayer or killing Americans as the unnamed-faction-from-the-middle-east-who-is-meant-to-represent-Taliban-but-to-avoid-idiots like-this-guy-just-don't-get-named faction.

I'd rather he complain that it looks identical to COD:MW2 and that there is no need for any more of these silly games.

Although playing as the taliban might be pretty lulzy, everyone wants to play as the bad guys amirite?

Aww man! I thought we were done with this guy. Oh well, just ignore him.

Oh Jack Thompson, you silly, silly man. You are always there if I need a laugh. I doubt that you can do anything at this point anyway. Anyone who has the least bit of sense knows not to trust you, because of your blatant and unrelenting fanaticism, and your inability to see reason or even acknowledge the other side of the argument.

Ahh, Jack Thompson, will you ever give up? T.T"

Not happening, Jack-o. No one takes you seriously anymore.

Although that "pre-order" thing he mentioned actually sounds interesting... but I can't verify it anywhere.

Training? Realism? This is Medal of Honor, not ARMA, the only thing this would teach people is that camping is for noobs, and health regenerates in a few seconds. Fucking idiot.

Also, why the fuck is he sending this to the secretary of defense? Doesn't he have better things to do?

Only one word comes into my mouth at the moment.
And that word is twat.

his head looks like he's made of plasticine :S badly

i'd call him a tube but i know not many people know what this means :P

Wow. Jack Thompson wants people to look at him hating video games, and is using a controversial developer's decision to fuel himself. There's a friggin surprise... Guess he doesn't really care about military folk (not just us Americans) and what they have to go through. Or worse, doesn't think the extremists have a perspective that needs to be examined and learned from (Like, oh, say, the Nazis. Nothing bad ever happened by ignoring them, did it? /sarcasm).

I see where he is coming from but he can't stop this. Plus, he sees it as a training tool, no training tool can make you get over taking another human beings life.

I swear, EA made it so they can get this kind of attention on purpose.

Plus I swear jack is using this game to stop video games altogether.

I lol'd when I saw this thread's title. I know of Jack Thompson from TVtropes, and I know how much of an idiot he is about video games.

This doesn't really worry me, as this guy never gets listened to and I wasn't planning on getting Medal of Honour anyway. However, has anyone heard if he's commented on The Proposed Law (You know, that one) that's going to SCOTUS soon?

....Impossible!

I saw him get barred! He can't hurt us any longer!

This guy needs to take a rain check

nazis, russians/comunists, china been there done that
taliban is not a big deal really there a minority faction yet in some games we have evillised whole countries.

Worgen:
if I were ea I would issue a press release saying that "we have heard your crys and now we will replace the taliban in the multi player with other american troops and instead of recording kills it will record friendly fire incidents" see how that goes over

Or make it US troops versus civilians, that way you can choose between killing friendlies, non-combatants or for double the fun, both!

As Eminem said "We need a little controversy".

I'll be honest, I'm surprised anyone is surprised at this. Lets not deny it, this is a controversial move by EA. I can't even think of many films or books that have covered the Iraq war from the perspective of the terrorists. At least with, say, WW2 or Vietnam, we have had tonnes of other works "softening the blow" so to say.

"videogame-caused massacres" = sorry amigo, can't take you seriously anymore. Not that I ever could, knowing who you are and your past.

Jack, man, just shut up, you lost it long ago, video games are here to stay, and let me get this right, people can pre order games, yea, thats a crime, just crawl back under your bridge.

Anyone who goes into combat using skills learned from video games deserves to be shot, with the possible exception of ARMA II.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here