Valve Launches Steam Wallet Beta Test

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Valve Launches Steam Wallet Beta Test

Valve has begun testing Steam Wallet, a new payment option that will make it even easier to throw your money at the world's most popular PC digital distribution platform.

Steam is already a money-magnet. It's convenient, it's reliable and it offers up seriously good deals on a dangerously regular basis. But just in case you haven't discovered enough ways to go broke on it, here's one more: Steam Wallet, a Microsoft Points-style system that lets you add money to your Steam account that you can blow on stuff later.

It might seem like a bit of a wasted effort, given that Steam works perfectly well with credit cards, but for people who don't have credit cards - kids and poor folks like me - it could be a real boon. Steam Wallet can be topped up in amounts of $5, $10, $25, $50 or $100, which can then be used to buy games or within any game that supports Steam transactions.

It's also crazy convenient, although that's actually more of a benefit for Valve than for you. After all, Blood Bowl at 75 percent off is a great deal but your credit card is in your wallet and that's all the way over on the other side of the house - maybe even downstairs. Yeesh, what a hassle. But if all you have to do is click a button and it's yours? I think it's a good bet that impulse buys on Steam are about to experience a serious spike.

via: Joystiq

I fail to see how it's more convenient than PayPal or1 Click&Buy...

1Okay, I get it, PayPal is evil

This is a good payment option.

It's something that makes XBLA so appealing too.

I am 17 so I can't own a credit card. And I refuse to use my Debit Card anywhere online as if it gets breached and I lose money, it isn't covered.

I love the idea of buying cards in advance and being able to buy something later on.

Forcing every transaction to be made online definitely makes me less likely to buy things.

HK_01:
I fail to see how it's more convenient that PayPal or Click&Buy...

Indeed by having to buy points in the first place all it really does is add/replace a step in the transaction.

HK_01:

Seconded. I use Click&Buy myself and, well, it's exactly what it says on the tin; you click and you buy something, can't get easier than that.

It barely even feels like spending money. That is, until I log in my bank account and find another X amount of euros missing thanks to Steam. Curse those awesome deals...

Oh, SHIT.

Must... not.... touch... savings... *twitch*

I like it a lot, for people that don't have credit cards them selves this is very useful, its similar to the PSN store. That said Vale will make a shit load more of this with impulse buys as you said, and of course once you have bought credit you must spend it on steam stuff. Still good idea.

Alandoril:

HK_01:

Indeed by having to buy points in the first place all it really does is add/replace a step in the transaction.

Unless you can give points as a present. Then birthdays just got a whole lot easier for gamers.

So, exactly like the PSN wallet?

Considering I have passed on crazy good deals because my wallet was downstairs- WHAT A GOOD DEAL!

HK_01:

EVERYTHING is more convenient than Paypal...

Just updated my Paypal *sigh* now more ways to lose my money to Steam.

Oh well, lots of cheap games in return :D

I can see how this would be good for people who cant spend a lot in a short time, adding $5 a week or two would be nice.

but speaking on experience, I buy Games on Demand with my debit card only because it adds an extra step.

having to go to a store, buy a card, activate it, redeem it, then click and buy; as opposed to just entering your debit card info and buying it directly.

not a bad idea, and very convient for people that have more important things to do with their money than buying games on impulse.

I like this idea because I am lazy and have to attempt to find my wallet every time I want to buy something.

Bastards would decide to bring this out after mocking me all weekend with blood bowl...

If Steam hasn't made you memorize your credit card number yet, you're not using it enough.

HK_01:

It is if someone gives you a $25 Steam card as a gift. I would bet that the Steam Wallet is primarily a framework for allowing things like gift cards to be sold.

Andy Chalk:
It's also crazy convenient, although that's actually more of a benefit for Valve than for you. After all, Blood Bowl at 75 percent off is a great deal but your credit card is in your wallet and that's all the way over on the other side of the house - maybe even downstairs.

On Valve's end, having a wallet also is good for reducing credit card fees. Especially for <$5 transactions. If they could convince even a small portion of their users to drop $25 or $50 into their account in advance instead of charging all those $1-5 games individually, they'd save a lot of money.

If they keep moving towards having cheap DLC (like the Magic: The Gathering deck upgrades, at $1 each), that could make a huge difference for them.

Clever. It's an investment pool disguised as a pay account.
They get your money now, but can reinvest it sooner, generate interest or fund other projects, and you keep your store credit.

Sorta works on rebate logic.

Finally, but I already got a debit card about a year ago, so now it's more of a meh... Maybe people will quit begging on the forums now.

still, how would this work for me?

since I am in the wonderland known as Argentina, and especially in my city (which isnt the capital city, mind you) it's a pain in the ass to even get Microsoft Points, so, how would it work for me?

still, looks really useful

Compared to Microsoft Points while the PSN Wallet is jumping up and down on its desk screaming "PICK ME PICK ME!"

Honestly I think I'm missing something though. How is this helpful on Steam? From what I saw in trying to buy $5 to put in my wallet just to look at payment options, it's the same thing as if you just wanted to buy a game directly. Please enter your credit card/paypal/etc here and you can put $5 in your steam wallet. Or I could just buy the game directly like always and skip the extra step.

So unless they're going to sell redeemable cards in stores, this seems a bit pointless to use yourself. I guess it would be nice if it lets you gift the money to someone else though (I didn't go far enough in to see), but to just buy a game for yourself, seems like an unneeded extra step.

EDIT: Okay, more people posted while I was typing. Good deal for Valve I guess if people use it, but I'm not seeing how it's any benefit to me personally when I can just skip that step and buy a game right away.

Pretty good idea - Makes them mre flexiable at least

Why do I need that when I have PayPal?

That will totally boost their sales. Where once people may have got a game for a birthday present, now somebody can give them these points and they can get multiple games.

Sweet.
this sounds like a good idea to me.
I recently downloaded steam and have been wanting to try out a few games...but im deathly worried that my Graphics card is obsolete...
I can run games like Age of empires 2 and Touhou no problem.
But even if i play Halo 2 on the lowest Settings its still pretty laggy.
Oh well, once i get everything sorted out this looks like a pretty cool idea.
and it opens up options for Gifts for my friends who basically use only Steam.

I can see how it would be useful, but I hope it's just an option you can choose in place of just using credit/debit cards because I ain't touching any points. Points are the reason I don't buy anything on the X-Box; you can't just pay the direct cost of the game, you have to buy a set amount of points which always leaves you with leftovers; those points represent wasted money just sitting there.

Cpt_Oblivious:

Alandoril:

HK_01:

Unless you can give points as a present. Then birthdays just got a whole lot easier for gamers.

Or you could just give them cash, which can work everywhere instead of just steam.

GamesB2:
This is a good payment option.

It's something that makes XBLA so appealing too.

I am 17 so I can't own a credit card. And I refuse to use my Debit Card anywhere online as if it gets breached and I lose money, it isn't covered.

I love the idea of buying cards in advance and being able to buy something later on.

Forcing every transaction to be made online definitely makes me less likely to buy things.

The great thing about Steam is that you don't have to save your credit card info. I primarily use my check card, and I never allow Steam to save the details. It can get annoying putting the info in every time I buy something, but it protects my money.

Oh god!

NO DEVIL! YOU WON'T HAVE MY MONEY!

HK_01:

Read the minecraft story about why anything is more convenient than paypal.

"You had a lot of money, so it's ours now".

I remember when Steam fans were mocking Ecks Blah for the "funny money."

Now, I'm sure, it will be a brilliant idea.

And here I was trying to save money...

archvile93:

Cpt_Oblivious:

Alandoril:

HK_01:

Or you could just give them cash, which can work everywhere instead of just steam.

What if you know they use Steam a lot and they live a long way away? I'm not trusting postman with money.

Now if only the prices weren't higher by at least 25-50% compared to retail prices.

HK_01:

Because quite a few people don't like doing transactions online. Which is understandable. Hell for Steam I've been using pre-paid credit cards.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here