No Halo: Reach Co-op for 4GB 360 Slim Owners

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No Halo: Reach Co-op for 4GB 360 Slim Owners

Owners of the 4GB Xbox 360 Slim looking forward to some co-op multiplayer hotness in Halo: Reach are in for a nasty surprise: it doesn't work.

I don't know what you had planned for this week but if you own a 360 Slim without a hard drive, one thing you won't be doing is hopping online with a few pals to join them in a desperate last stand against the Covenant. You see, while there's apparently no indication of this fact anywhere on the game box or in the manual, Halo: Reach co-op play requires a hard drive to work.

And no, a big, fat flash drive won't cut it. The first question in the Halo: Reach FAQ on the Xbox support site makes it clear:

Q: The error "One or more players do not have an Xbox 360 Hard Drive. An Xbox 360 Hard Drive is required to play co-op on Xbox LIVE or system link" occurs when I try to play. Why?

A: One or more players do not have a certified Xbox 360 hard drive attached to their Xbox 360 console. Some multiplayer aspects of Halo: Reach require an Xbox 360 certified hard drive.

Microsoft told Eurogamer, "We are aware of the issue and are quickly working to resolve it," but this isn't exactly a new problem. Halo 3: ODST owners reported the same issue on the Bungie forums back in August. So either ODST didn't draw enough water to be worth the trouble to fix, or this problem is tougher to solve than Microsoft is letting on. Whatever the case, there's one surefire way around it for those who just can't wait: Shell out for an Xbox 360 hard drive. Hey, are you a fan or not?

Source: Nukezilla

My question is, why wouldn't you have a hard drive? I guess if you got the kinect version or something along those lines... I just don't see how anyone could manage to have ANY system with 4 GBs of space anymore with the number of patches and things that people need to download.

Maybe that's just me though. I guess it must be a decent problem if it has to be addressed like this...

They're probably gonna fix this in a few months, after the first couple of thousand hard drives have been sold.

Or this is genuinely a difficult problem to resolve, and if that's the case, I believe it's the end of the world.

I can see this being a problem, but not exactly a big one if it only applies to the slim(and only if it doesn't have a hard drive) which was only just recently released. I doubt that many people who own one don't have a hard drive. Still, Microsoft should really try to fix this.

Kapol:
My question is, why wouldn't you have a hard drive?

That was my initial reaction. Being able to install games cuts down on load times which generally means a better game experience across the board. I can't imagine why you wouldn't want an HD. It doesn't even need to be a huge 250gig one.

Amnestic:

Kapol:

That was my initial reaction. Being able to install games cuts down on load times which generally means a better game experience across the board. I can't imagine why you wouldn't want an HD. It doesn't even need to be a huge 250gig one.

And mine, too.

Seems like a waste of time to fix it, really. Surely the number of consoles without a hard drive is minimal?

Nedoras:
I can see this being a problem, but not exactly a big one if it only applies to the slim(and only if it doesn't have a hard drive) which was only just recently released. I doubt that many people who own one don't have a hard drive. Still, Microsoft should really try to fix this.

I would suspect that it applies to any Xbox 360 without a hard drive. But with the new ones having a built-in 4gb of storage and also being able to use multiple 16gb flash drives, it's much more workable to not have a hard drive for more casual players.

The whole certified HD thing is a blatant money grab.

At my local store a .5TB 2.5" internal disk is $65

On Amazon 250gb Xbox hd is 90.

Costs 50% more and has half the capacity.

Yet another reason ps3 is superior, you can put any damn hard disk you want in there.

rembrandtqeinstein:

Yet another reason ps3 is superior, you can put any damn hard disk you want in there.

The fact that external hard drives (of the spinning disc variety) AFAIK work perfectly well makes the 16Gb external hard drive cap another blatant money grab.

rembrandtqeinstein:

A money grab? I really doubt it. They could get in alot of trouble for it, since the box only tells people they need xbox live to play, nothing about having to have a hard drive connected to the console.

Jesus Phish:

A money grab? I really doubt it. They could get in alot of trouble for it, since the box only tells people they need xbox live to play, nothing about having to have a hard drive connected to the console.

A money grab? From Micorsoft? How could you even suggest such a thing?

And you can still play the game without a hard-drive, so "technically" it's not false advertising. Just get these new MS drives for the low, low price that was just increased last week.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Jesus Phish:

A money grab? From Micorsoft? How could you even suggest such a thing?

And you can still play the game without a hard-drive, so "technically" it's not false advertising. Just get these new MS drives for the low, low price that was just increased last week.

You cant play it online without it, the box tells you with nice orange symbols what is needed to play online. It does not mention a hard drive.

rembrandtqeinstein:

Yeah...they do Windows too, so it's not like they can even excuse the proprietary hard drives.

Friggin sucks that the largest one is 250GB, when there are 2TB hard drives kicking about which aren't too pricey nowadays.

This strikes me as quite stupid. A strange overlook as it were.

rembrandtqeinstein:

...and never ever do anything with it.

Heh - And in the distance you hear the cries of the Halo fanboys.

Halo kids will shell out any amount of money to play...
In all seriousness though, there's probably some technical reason or limitation for this problem

When did they release the 250GB HDD separately?! I've been wanting them to do that for quite some time, because I want a nice slim 360 but without the nasty glossy finish that comes with the one that already has an HDD. And they just released it under the radar like that?! Damn. Well at least that wait is over, now I just need money. Stupid price as usual for just the HDD though.

Also, shame on whoever is responsible at either Bungie or Microsoft for not making it clear on the game box that you need an HDD for co-op.

I call this "Manage to fuck up your userbase once more". First the pricehike and now this.

This must be intentional, so far I know, the box didn't say it required a HDD to play Co-op online. Bullshit. This first party of Microsoft really sucks ass.

It's not like the cons of buying a hard drive outweigh the pros. Still I suppose since the original 360 use have Live at all without a HD, doesn't exactly mean they have a lot to cry about

carpathic:

The thing is, devkits are generally not the slim versions of a console, they are the standard versions with the Devkit harddrive. It looks a little different from what you or I might have at home but the difference isn't staggering. Yes these things should be tested out, but FQA is often on a schedule and so to basically re-test everything in the game on a different model of the console you've already tested everything on is a bit ridiculous.

That said, reading the article from Nukezilla, it was as designed, not a bug and not an oversight, and was likely noted by FQA. You know all those things in a game you've noticed. Little things or even major ones? FQA's probably noticed them, and bugged them. It's that issues get waived incredibly frequently. The issue here was likely noticed very late in the game, shortly before shipping (testing on other console models would be pretty late in the development cycle). It likely wasn't fixed due to time constraints and strict release schedules.

I suspect this is part of a plan to gradually phase out the parts of gameplay that can't be charged for.
And it sucks.

Not sure

Kapol:

Because of how much more expensive the hard drive is?

Frapple:

rembrandtqeinstein:

...and never ever do anything with it.

I don't get what you are saying here. Most PS3 games REQUIRE an install to play. Are you just saying that the PS3 isn't worth playing?

This was the same thing with Halo 3, at least for the LAN system link co-op. I had a 360 without an HDD, my friend had one with one, and it gave me that error every time we tried to play system link co-op.

Eventually I just went and bought one...

The four-player co-op is what I was looking forward to the most. I would be so mad.

That is, if I didn't already have a hard drive. And spent two hours last night with my friend ripping enemies apart. Oh, so much fun!

Fightgarr:

carpathic:

The thing is, devkits are generally not the slim versions of a console, they are the standard versions with the Devkit harddrive. It looks a little different from what you or I might have at home but the difference isn't staggering. Yes these things should be tested out, but FQA is often on a schedule and so to basically re-test everything in the game on a different model of the console you've already tested everything on is a bit ridiculous.

That said, reading the article from Nukezilla, it was as designed, not a bug and not an oversight, and was likely noted by FQA. You know all those things in a game you've noticed. Little things or even major ones? FQA's probably noticed them, and bugged them. It's that issues get waived incredibly frequently. The issue here was likely noticed very late in the game, shortly before shipping (testing on other console models would be pretty late in the development cycle). It likely wasn't fixed due to time constraints and strict release schedules.

Thanks for the info. Always neat to hear from the dev side what is going on!

Space Jawa:

Kapol:

But most new 360s comes with one, all of the current slim ones have a hard drive already. As for the older ones, they have HDs on ebay for fairly cheap. I saw a 120GB HD for less then $50. If you buy the system used where it doesn't come with one, then that should be a factor in buying it.

Amnestic:

Kapol:

You have to buy specific Microsoft-supported hard drives, and the only one you can get for the Slim model is the 250GB model at $130 if you bought the 4GB version. So you either have all or nothing. Previous 360 hard drives are not compatible with the Slim.

So this is essentially Microsoft gouging for cash. Damn, I really don't want to rag on them, but they've been tickin' me off lately.

Kapol:

Space Jawa:

Kapol:

But most new 360s comes with one, all of the current slim ones have a hard drive already. As for the older ones, they have HDs on ebay for fairly cheap. I saw a 120GB HD for less then $50. If you buy the system used where it doesn't come with one, then that should be a factor in buying it.

Refer to my above post.

Jumplion:

Amnestic:

Kapol:

You have to buy specific Microsoft-supported hard drives, and the only one you can get for the Slim model is the 250GB model at $130 if you bought the 4GB version. So you either have all or nothing. Previous 360 hard drives are not compatible with the Slim.

So this is essentially Microsoft gouging for cash. Damn, I really don't want to rag on them, but they've been tickin' me off lately.

Actually old drives are compatiable with the slim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKnaixPCsns (Sorry don't know how to embed)

Also for people worrying about getting banned for doing this, you can't, the drive is still a Microsoft certified drive so it works perfectly.

Dark Sup3rn0va:

Jumplion:

Amnestic:

Kapol:

Actually old drives are compatible with the slim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKnaixPCsns (Sorry don't know how to embed)

Also for people worrying about getting banned for doing this, you can't, the drive is still a Microsoft certified drive so it works perfectly.

Officially, though, old drives are not compatible with the slim. The video even says that it's risky doing it this way, and not all 360 owners are tech-savvy enough to look for this kind of help, so I stand by my original point.

Kapol:

Amnestic:

coldalarm:

And mine, too.

Seems like a waste of time to fix it, really. Surely the number of consoles without a hard drive is minimal?

There is literally no reason to have a 250GB hard drive on a 360 unless you just like giving Microsoft money. With the new slim system you can just plug in and switch out as many 16gb USB flash drives as you want. I have essentially limitless memory and I didn't have to pay Microsoft quadruple what 250 gigs of memory is actually worth.

Kapol:
My question is, why wouldn't you have a hard drive? I guess if you got the kinect version or something along those lines... I just don't see how anyone could manage to have ANY system with 4 GBs of space anymore with the number of patches and things that people need to download.

Maybe that's just me though. I guess it must be a decent problem if it has to be addressed like this...

^This.
I have a 20gb and I have been STRUGGLING with it. My hardrive is full up at the moment and I'm going to buy a new one now (a 250gb!).

Same with my PS3, if it didn't have 120Gb, then I'd be shit out of luck as I have already filled it 40gb of stuff.

So.... why would someone only have 4gb of memory? It really doesn't make sense.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here