TGS '10: Codename D: Kinect for Hardcore Gamers?

TGS '10: Codename D: Kinect for Hardcore Gamers?

Could this game from No More Heroes creator Suda 51 turn core gamers onto Microsoft's motion control?

Less than 24 hours after appearing at the EA press conference, Suda51 of Grasshopper Manufacture was back with yet another announcement.

Appearing onstage at the Microsoft keynote address, Suda announced what many have been hotly anticipating, a Kinect game targeted at hardcore gamers: Codename D.

Suda spoke of his longstanding desire to work with Microsoft and how many of his fans had been pushing him to consider making a game for Kinect. Tight-lipped on details, Suda teased that there would be " ... no guns or swords, or any arms, but it's still a core action game." He went on to assure us that Codename D is " ... for hardcore gamers around the world."

The teaser that followed introduces us to our protagonist, a shadowy individual with a red baseball cap. As he approaches a creepy amusement park, grotesque animal-headed mascots emerge and surround our man. The camera cuts to the baseball in his hand. One squeeze later and his enemies burst into flames!

Not much to go on, but the trailer leans toward the mature audiences alright. Could this be title that sells the hardcore gamer on Kinect?

TGS 2010 reporting is done jointly by Fintan Monaghan and Lisa Gay.

Read more TGS 2010 coverage here.

Well, with Suda 51 behind it I'm hoping it will do something really unique with the kinect.

I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet, but the pure fact that a respected developer is putting work into a game for Kinect sounds promising enough.

short answer: no
long answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

i have never been a fan of Suda51 and this does not help.

i also really wish people would stop with the "but its for teh hardcores" when they are talking about a system that will never be for "teh hardcores" (as per microsoft)

casual and hardcore are labels we can do without.

Well it's Goichi Suda, and he is basically our god, so I'll just wait and see. It's unique, and that's a good sign already.

Punk's Not Dead.

EDIT: And welcome to The Escapist Lisa.

Hardcore gamers do not want to jump around to play a game. They want to sit on their couch. Like Yahtzee said, the more disconect between the control and the response on the screen, the less the imersion. Movign your thumb slightly and getting an immediate response will always be more immersive than flailing around for a delayed reaction.

Come on mast*rbation mini game :D

DiscoAtThePanic:
Hardcore gamers do not want to jump around to play a game. They want to sit on their couch. Like Yahtzee said, the more disconect between the control and the response on the screen, the less the imersion. Movign your thumb slightly and getting an immediate response will always be more immersive than flailing around for a delayed reaction.

A hardcore gamer is relative though. While most of them would want the obvious, any game with depth and can be played competitively (and practiced for many hours) can be adopted by a hardcore gamer.

Well, the hardcore gamers people seem to think they are today. I bet none of them have even finished half of Ikaruga...

Does those qualify as furries?

if it has the same insane story as No More Heroes Microsoft has a new customer

Looks like all flash and no bang to be honest...and if you're going to push the game as "Hardcore" surely at least some inkling of how the controls are going to work. There doesn't seem to be a release date on this, but form the lack of any actual game footage or a control vid I would assume it'll be more "Holiday 2011" than "Holiday 2010".

I really think Microsoft have dropped the ball on this thing, if you can't get people who already own a 360 to splash out on Kinect they are never going to get market share. It's those early adopter who will spread word of mouth and bring their friends around to play...and there's just nothing for them...

Also, I know I keep saying this, but I just cannot figure out how you are going to be able to navigate three dimensional worlds if the games are not on rails...

I just hope they port this onto the PS3. I have been following Suda 51 since Killer 7 and the fact his games have a level of depth to them help in the long run. Well most of his games have depth.

...The fuck? I reserve judgement until I can actually, y'know, see the game.

Is that an older more mature Ness?

See, it doesn't matter who the game is aimed at, Suda 51 isn't a system seller because the games they produce are just too eccentric and out there to be mainstream sellers. And I'd like to keep it that way, because it means SOMEONE out there is throwing caution to the wind and making something unique. Even if it's weird as all hell.

RikSharp:
short answer: no
long answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

i have never been a fan of Suda51 and this does not help.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Suda 51 can do what they want, I'm not touching it though.

Don't any of these companies get it? Make some decent games BEFORE YOU RELEASE THE HARDWARE! If you just say "dude, we're good for it, come on, trust us" you're going to fail. HARD.

They're gonna have to give me a bit more info before I spend 150$ on something I don't really need :/

i thought he was making a horror game with someone? mmmmmmmmeeeeeeehhh stupid motion controls

Quiet Stranger:
Is that an older more mature Ness?

Yeah I thought so too. That would be pretty cool.

Campy! Almost zero desire to own either Kinect or a 360, but I'll have a close eye on this.

Lisa Gay:
Tight-lipped on details, Suda teased that there would be " ... no guns or swords, or any arms, but it's still a core action game." He went on to assure us that Codename D is " ... for hardcore gamers around the world."

So, an action game without "any arms"? Okay, sure. It could pass for gimmicky, or maybe it's a fighter? River City Ransom in three dimensions? I doubt that's gonna reach any of the "hardcore" demographic.

Lisa Gay:
The teaser that followed introduces us to our protagonist, a shadowy individual with a red baseball cap. As he approaches a creepy amusement park, grotesque animal-headed mascots emerge and surround our man.

Video filters and effects doesn't mean that any of this is dark, or even supposed to be. Though it does mean that you're supposed to assume it's gritty and mature. Re-watch the trailer and look through the filters. All I see are cutesy sports mascots running through a closed amusement park. Amusement park. Even with the filters, that gate looks surprisingly out of place and childish for what is supposed to be a "core action game". Look at the guy in the cap. Is he even the protagonist? He's at a closed fairgrounds, breathing heavily, wearing dark clothing (with the exception of his comically red hat), setting the workers on fire. Now, that does sound fun, but then you remember that it's for Kinect and then it sounds like a chore. Hell, maybe that guy is the main villain and you're supposed to be fighting him off along all your other coworkers.

Lisa Gay:
The camera cuts to the baseball in his hand. One squeeze later and his enemies burst into flames!

What? What happened to not having any arms? So we go from action game with no weapons, to action game with magical baseball weapon. It's definitely Japanese, though sometimes that's not a good thing. Oh, hey, wait a minute... Those mascots didn't look like they had any weapons...

Lisa Gay:
Not much to go on, but the trailer leans toward the mature audiences alright. Could this be title that sells the hardcore gamer on Kinect?

Not much to go on at all. This trailer is extremely vague and doesn't really make much sense. Mature audiences? Only if your definition of mature is "likes dark filters and shadowy, baseball wielding, theme park hating mass murderers".

"Codename D: Kinect for People Who Have Too Much Money and Will Buy Ridiculously Gimmicky Shit That No One Really Wants"

Fix'd that for you.

All criticisms aside, this just doesn't have enough to go on. It's a thirty second trailer that looks like Grindhouse and Sin City mated, their spawn was medically experimented on by baseball nuts, then given to the orphanage with all it's limbs missing. It's kooky, at best.

Funny how every time motion controls are mentioned, people come out of the woodworks to reiterate how much they hate them, how they will never be accurate, and how they are only for casuals.

Meanwhile the rest of us are enjoying great games regardless of their input mechanics. Enjoy your small world, grandpa.

KEM10:
I just hope they port this onto the PS3. I have been following Suda 51 since Killer 7 and the fact his games have a level of depth to them help in the long run. Well most of his games have depth.

or get a cheap xb360 on preowned, i'm a cheap bastard I bought all my consoles 2nd hand and have the wii ps3 and xb360.. a pre-owned 360 these days will set you back 100 quid or less, though the high price of kinnect may sound off putting I was looking at move last night and once I've bought all the extra controllers ect the price is looking similar.

Personally i've enjoyed all suda 51's games so far so this is looking like a must buy, I noticed microsoft game studios logo at the bottom so not sure if this will see another format.

Shame really, it'd be great if games stopped being platform exclusives, get ps3 gamers on this and halo and let 360 gamers on shadow of the colossus and ico, but i doubt it'll happen.

Looks like it's going to be a sports game to me. It has the look, right down to the (possible) irrelevant degree of flashiness in the trailers and commercials. It could prove me wrong, but I'm not interested at this point.

Batsamaritan:

KEM10:

or get a cheap xb360 on preowned, i'm a cheap bastard I bought all my consoles 2nd hand and have the wii ps3 and xb360.. a pre-owned 360 these days will set you back 100 quid or less, though the high price of kinnect may sound off putting I was looking at move last night and once I've bought all the extra controllers ect the price is looking similar.

Personally i've enjoyed all suda 51's games so far so this is looking like a must buy, I noticed microsoft game studios logo at the bottom so not sure if this will see another format.

Shame really, it'd be great if games stopped being platform exclusives, get ps3 gamers on this and halo and let 360 gamers on shadow of the colossus and ico, but i doubt it'll happen.

Wednesday's Penny Arcade describes my ideas of Halo perfectly. But they can't have non-exclusives because then they would be too buddy buddy and end up making a system together, and then there would be a monopoly instead of a duopoly.

KEM10:

Batsamaritan:

KEM10:

Wednesday's Penny Arcade describes my ideas of Halo perfectly. But they can't have non-exclusives because then they would be too buddy buddy and end up making a system together, and then there would be a monopoly instead of a duopoly.

fair nuff, a good point. I suppose the only good thing about the console bitch fight is its affects on prices for the common consumer, perhaps i'm merely a fantasist.

Uuuuuuuuuuuggggghhhhh...... Blood, gore, and lack of color do not make a game hardcore. I'm so sick of seeing this crap. In fact, I don't think any game on Kinect can be fundamentally hardcore. If there can be one, it would not be for hardcore gamers, but instead, hardcore....martial artists?....dancers? With no controller, the hardcore games on Kinect would require constant radical and precise movements, which very few hardcore gamers would be able to do for more than 30 seconds if at all.

From the description and trailer, color me interested! ha ha! Oh yeah, this is Kinect we're talking about here. On the other hand, No More Heroes is responsible for a smarmy twat who's best repartee is "you're brother is still a douche!" so who knows, maybe it will be also attract the "hardcore" immature, delinquent crowd?

It does not bode well for Kinect if the "hardcore" game has to be marketed using jarring and ostensibly "edgy" filming set to obnoxious music as the protagonist squeezes a baseball resulting in combustible furries. Coupled with the knowledge that this game will apparently have no "guns, swords, and arms," the alarms are deafening.

For now, I'm going to just cherish my with a rented copy of Halo Reach if this sort of stuff and Kinect are to be much of the 360's future, I may have to start building the funeral pyre. And for good measure, I shall write a Haiku. :p

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.