TGS '10: Fumito Ueda Talks The Last Guardian

Pages 1 2 NEXT

TGS '10: Fumito Ueda Talks The Last Guardian

According to the creator of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, Team Ico's latest game is about the growing bond between a boy and his ... cat-bird thing.

Following Sony's big mid-day press conference Thursday afternoon, Fumito Ueda sat down in a small conference room packed with foreign journalists for an intimate discussion on his upcoming game. Ueda stated he was "confident" of the game's concept, and that the trial-and-error phase was over. It's now full-steam ahead for Team ICO.

The latest teaser trailer's highlighted the rich expressiveness of Trico, the large cat-bird creature. Trico not only meows (chirps?) at the mysterious young boy in the trailer, but now he is shown whimpering, scratching his ears, and ... puking. In other words, very animal-like. Ueda put a lot of effort into the creature's eyes - just as well, since they are the major source of communication between Trico and the boy.

Not much was revealed about gameplay. One interesting note, echoing Agro of Shadow of the Colossus, was that Trico will not respond to your every command - he may, but he may well ignore you. The boy and Trico will have a somewhat unfriendly beginning, but as the game progresses, the player will have to find in-game elements that will help the boy build an emotional bond with the beast.

So will Last Guardian have anything in common with predecessors Ico and SOTC? Ueda is vague on this point, and maintains he doesn't know. Apparently, SOTC wasn't made to intertwine with ICO initially, but at the end, they decided to subtly link the two games.

Further, Ueda revealed the boy was initially conceptualized as a girl. He later reconsidering, thinking that a girl wouldn't be suited to the grip strength needed as well as potentially awkward up-skirt shots. Not that this ever restrains other game designers ...

Team ICO also confirmed that The Last Guardian will be 3D compatible. If all goes well, expect to see The Last Guardian on store shelves in time for a 2011 holiday release.

TGS 2010 reporting is done jointly by Fintan Monaghan and Lisa Gay.

Read more TGS 2010 coverage here.

2011 holiday? Ugh...was hoping Spring 2011.

Awww its adorab-AHHHHHHHHH LET ME GO LET ME GO!!! OH GOD ITS EATTING MEEEEE.

Oh this is gonna be sweet. I always wanted to play team Ico's games, so I'll pick up their collection and then move on to buying 'The Last Guardian'...

Ah, I love having gotten a PS3 this year...

Lisa Gay:
snip

Oh hi Lisa! Didn't notice you were new to the staff here! ^_^

Welcome to the Escapist, and I hope that you bring about some marvelous articles in your time here!

Awww it's cute :D

And unlike Agro this one is bridge proof!

Queen Michael wants to play this video game very very very very very very very very very much!
Or in Swedish: Queen Michael har en levande tandborste som vill döda döda döda döda döda döda döda döda döda alla människor!

Queen Michael:
Queen Michael wants to play this video game very very very very very very very very very much!
Or in Swedish: Queen Michael har en levande tandborste som vill döda döda döda döda döda döda döda döda döda alla människor!

I too want to play this very much!
Or in Swedish: Borsta aldrig tänderna, små barn!

Sinclose:

Lisa Gay:
snip

Welcome to the Escapist, and I hope that you bring about some marvelous articles in your time here!

I'm sorry but

If I know anything about Team Ico it's that the boy and the griffin are too adorable for both to be living by the end of the game.

SpaceMedarotterX:
snip

Damn you, do you know how much control it took me in order to avoid doing a 'The Room' joke while making that post?! >:-(

Funny that he mentioned the importance of Trico's eye, because in the new trailer his eyes are pretty much black shadows. Maybe they're still working on that.

In all seriousness though, there isn't really anything new in this trailer that I didn't already figure. Still nice to see some new footage though.

SpaceMedarotterX:

Sinclose:

Lisa Gay:
snip

I'm sorry but

Argh! I just couldn't finish watching that! It was terrible! It's the anti-last guardian, for while watching The Last Guardian is a pleasant experience, watching that... isn't.

A year is far too long to wait for that game...

Oh hai trico. -.-

so its a colossus pet sim?

that seems pretty awsome.

TheSkaAssassin:
If I know anything about Team Ico it's that the boy and the griffin are too adorable for both to be living by the end of the game.

Actually, Ueda said something about how he disliked the fact that everyone thought it was gonna end the way you predict.

From the Kotaku liveblog:

"Ueda starts by saying he wants to address rumors that The Last Guardian will end on a sad note and that players should think of the game as more open ended. "

Huh, it's not exactly a "No, they're gonna live!"-answer either, right?

Source: http://kotaku.com/5639426/team-ico-presents-at-tokyo-game-show-live

Holiday 2011? Ouch, last I had heard, it was coming out this fall...I don't keep track of this stuff so much.

In any case, I'm glad to see some new footage.

Orthon:

TheSkaAssassin:

Actually, Ueda said something about how he disliked the fact that everyone thought it was gonna end the way you predict.

"Ueda starts by saying he wants to address rumors that The Last Guardian will end on a sad note and that players should think of the game as more open ended. "

That's what they want you to think...

"grip strength"? bite me. The skirt thing makes sense though. Until the word "pants" comes to mind.
*sigh*...sexism is starting to turn me off of video games. Its everywhere I know, but when you start to notice it limiting your favorite entertainment genre, you know?

It's a way too cheerful a trailer for the game to end on anything but some sort of insolable tragedy.

Well, cheerful if you ignore that soldier being forcibly seperated from his thighs and feet.

oranger:
"grip strength"? bite me. The skirt thing makes sense though. Until the word "pants" comes to mind.
*sigh*...sexism is starting to turn me off of video games. Its everywhere I know, but when you start to notice it limiting your favorite entertainment genre, you know?

Well guess what? Team ico do have plans to make their next game, after The Last Guardian, have a woman or young girl as the protaganist

I'm loving the animation for the griffin. You can tell just how badly they wanted breath some real life into the creature, and I think it's beautiful for it.

inkblood:

oranger:

Well guess what? Team ico do have plans to make their next game, after The Last Guardian, have a woman or young girl as the protaganist

That doesn't change the sexist comment...and we all know what that protagonist will look like: an anorexic rag-doll with no upper body strength.

I'm willing to bet 8000 bucks that the giant griffon thing will die at some point.

Sinclose:
Oh this is gonna be sweet. I always wanted to play team Ico's games, so I'll pick up their collection and then move on to buying 'The Last Guardian'...

Ah, I love having gotten a PS3 this year...

Couldn't have put it better myself
This looks really great and man I cant wait for both the collection and TLG, brilliant, proving games can be art.

Orthon:

When looking back at the previous two games, I don't really understand how people come to this conclusion myself.

So I can understand that Fumito Ueda is getting a little tired of eveyone's smartass assumptions.

It's not out for over a year? buh. I'll live and it'll be worth it.

Fuck that looks good.

Jesus, I can't wait. They should have let Ueda make Eye-Pet. Just imagine.

Good ol' Peter could learn something from these animations for B&W3.

oranger:

I was kind of bothered by those statements, too. It's not as big as some of the issues in Other M, but it's still a little bothersome that they changed their creative vision because they don't think a girl would be believable in a role that apparently requires upper body strength. Anyone who doesn't think a woman can muster grip strength probably hasn't seen what can happen when a father-to-be holds his partner's hand in the delivery room.

What's really sad, though, is that the desire to actually avoid pantyshots actually struck me as kind of progressive for a Japanese game designer.

I'm seriously considering buying a PS3 for this and the re-release of Ico/Shadow.
Thats all they had to do to sell me one.

oranger:

The game looks to have a tribal feel, almost like a native or primitive age, etc... women back in primitive times were considered weak, you'd need a firm grip to hang on to a flying beast, and I doubt pants were in style then, as even the boy is wearing more of a poncho and underwear than pants.

See? There's some actual thought in this, just like an author purposefully chooses different elements. It's not shoved in your face, it's all provided subtly and intelligently. Look up a Shadow of the Collosus analysis, a whole ton of clues and meaning is hidden within the game.

This is what I love about Team ICO, specifically Fumito Ueda as it's really his story that he tells. Fumito puts thought into his work, he thinks of all implications, what would work with a story, what wouldn't, etc... It's just like how an author uses symbolism and certain tropes to further make his/her piece all the more engaging and powerful.

Go Team ICO, Go. This is a pre-order and Day 1 buy for me.

EDIT: Also, consider that if it was a girl, she would be a child. As in, not fully developed in muscle strength. Far as I know, boys grow into their strength faster, but I'm not good with anatomy/biology, so hell if I know.

BrainWalker:
I was kind of bothered by those statements, too. It's not as big as some of the issues in Other M, but it's still a little bothersome that they changed their creative vision because they don't think a girl would be believable in a role that apparently requires upper body strength. Anyone who doesn't think a woman can muster grip strength probably hasn't seen what can happen when a father-to-be holds his partner's hand in the delivery room.

What's really sad, though, is that the desire to actually avoid pantyshots actually struck me as kind of progressive for a Japanese game designer.

I direct you to my above post.

EDIT: Also, consider that if it was a girl, she would be a child. As in, not fully developed in muscle strength. Far as I know, boys grow into their strength faster, but I'm not good with anatomy/biology, so hell if I know.

BrainWalker:

oranger:

Hahaha that last line was great dood. Nice avatar btw, I usually prefer ff6, but 4 was great too...it was basically my introduction to the SNES.

Jumplion:

BrainWalker:

I direct you to my above post.

Actually girls develop around two years faster than boys, biologically and sometimes psychologically. Learned that in school, before they replaced that sex ed tape with sock puppets and a carrot.
Fucking catholic schools.

Oh my gosh.. I can't wait. The whole reason I picked up a PS3 this summer was for this game, and I was thinking from the looks of the last trailer it'd be soonish.

I mean GoW3, RDR, and hopefully Enslaved have been nice; but the Last Guardian..

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here