TGS '10: Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam Hands-On

TGS '10: Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam Hands-On

It's Battlefield Now. Were you expecting anything different?

Not being veterans of the classic PC Battlefield games, it was with some trepidation that we approached the new Vietnam game. We needn't have worried.

At its pre-TGS event, EA gave us a sneak peak of the new Vietnam expansion to Battlefield: Bad Company 2. With only a teaser trailer completely devoid of in-game footage, we were certainly curious to see what DICE had up its sleeves.

If you were expecting mind-blowing innovation, you may be a little disappointed. Vietnam is eerily similar to XBLA favorite Battlefield 1943 with the action transplanted from the Pacific islands to the Vietnamese jungle. Opposing forces N.V.A and the U.S begin with a certain number of points which deplete as the other side captures and holds objectives on the battlefield. There are four classes to try out: The Assault class is the bog standard AK-47 wielding soldier; the engineer sports a bazooka and vehicle repairing drill; the medic can drop health packs and give healing injections; Recon is the sniper. See what I mean?

As well as fighting on foot, you can commandeer jeeps, tanks and choppers in your mission to wreak havoc. Successful kills garner points which lead to promotions. Promotions unlock bonus traits to enhance your soldier - for example, a trait which can increase explosive damage.

The Vietnam setting has the ring of authenticity, by which we mean it reminded us of Apocalypse Now. Tropical vegetation, abandoned villages, and soggy marshes dot the landscape, while in the background loom misty jungle-covered mountains.

If you liked Battlefield 1943, you'll probably love Vietnam because it is essentially the same game with an upgrade and a paint job. If you were hoping for something ground-breaking, you may want to dampen your expectations.

TGS 2010 reporting is done jointly by Fintan Monaghan and Lisa Gay.

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

Im saddened that there are only four classes, but hopefully they will remember what made Battlefield Vietnam fun and have more than three fucking maps.

also, lets hope they were able to keep the original music from the first Vietnam game, that was awesome flying overhead with the radio blasting.

I can dig it.

I loved Battlefield 1943, so I'll fork over the money to blast some commies.

Kalezian:
Im saddened that there are only four classes, but hopefully they will remember what made Battlefield Vietnam fun and have more than three fucking maps.

also, lets hope they were able to keep the original music from the first Vietnam game, that was awesome flying overhead with the radio blasting.

I believe there are only four maps. But I still have high hopes for this one!

I need more maps before I take this game seriously, I really wanted to see a re-design of the Quang Tri maps from the original Battlefield Vietnam. Including the Vietnamese woman over the loudspeaker saying stuff like "Go home, GI, or you will die here, alone, for a worthless cause" etc, etc.

Kalezian:

actually only 4 classes works really well, assault gets assault rifles and grenade launchers, engineer gets smgs, rockets and a repair tool, medic gets heal kits, defib and lmgs, and sniper gets sniper rifles, arty and motion detectors.... at least in bad company 2 they did, I imagine some of those will be mixed up a bit for the vietnam expansion

Actually this is an expansion to Battlefield Bad Company 2 (there's a slight chance I may be wrong anyway), that's way there are 4 classes.
It's not a stand alone game, it will probably be a dlc (that will cost probably like an arcade so around 1200/1500 ms points).

And weapons and gadgets unlock as you progress (don't know if you bring your progress from Bf:Bc2, but that's most likely), so you won't stick too long to your Ak-47.

It's kind of a great mod for Bf:bc2, if you want...

What's with the comparison to Battlefield 1943? There are 4 classes with more unlockable weapons as you use them with 4 maps with Conquest and Rush modes featuring the Frostbite engine that Bad Company uses.

And you know, its called Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam.

So far, all I'm seeing is BF:BC2 with some new skins/maps/weapons (ya know... like the kind that many other companies issue for free - at least for PC) that they expect you to pay for.

EA/DICE is turning Battlefield into as much fail as CoD!

Yeh BF1942 still the best (& Desert Combat Mod <3). How can a game today have way less options than a game that came out years ago?

DTWolfwood:
Yeh BF1942 still the best (& Desert Combat Mod <3). How can a game today have way less options than a game that came out years ago?

I really don't want to say "console limitations" but I'm pretty sure thats what the reason is.

I don't know, but the lack of a Battlefield Commander just makes me a sad panda.

Something that doesn't seem to be mentioned here but would be good news for Battlefield fans is that I have heard it will also include radio channels similar to Battlefield: Vietnam.

Lawyer105:
So far, all I'm seeing is BF:BC2 with some new skins/maps/weapons (ya know... like the kind that many other companies issue for free - at least for PC) that they expect you to pay for.

Not many companies do this at all.

And perhaps you people mentioning Battlefield 1942 somehow forgot about Secret Weapons of WWII and The Road to Rome? You know, expansions that featured new skins/maps/weapons...

Charlie don't surf.

Damn it it must be an add-on to BC2. Note how I used the term 'add-on'

I am displeased, I would love some new stuff for Bad Company 1...
Possible tie-in with Preston's dad?

Hmm, looks pretty interesting. It would be awesome if you got to listen to some 70s music.

icyneesan:

Smells more like coffee.

Irridium:

DTWolfwood:

I really don't want to say "console limitations" but I'm pretty sure thats what the reason is.

I don't know, but the lack of a Battlefield Commander just makes me a sad panda.

but BF2 was a PC only game and it had less :(

Ldude893:

icyneesan:

Smells more like coffee.

coffee!?

i prefer the smell of cordite personaly...

This talk of radio stations intrigues me.

I'm certainly going to pick it up if it's as immersive as it sounds.

DTWolfwood:

Irridium:

DTWolfwood:

but BF2 was a PC only game and it had less :(

It also has a modding community, which helps make up for it.

I dont understand why people make great shooter and only include 4 maps, then release DLC of different game mode versions of the same maps.

If you can ride out of a low sunrise whilst blasting both rockets and Ride of the Valkyries from your Huey, there is simply no reason not to invest in this dlc/add-on/whatever.
Otherwise, meh.

As elated I was to first hear about B:BC2:V, I was quickly disappointed when I realized it would be a low-content multiplayer-only ordeal like Battlefield 1943. However I'm still excited for it and its great setting, and the vehicles and weapons that setting means we will be using, so I'm glad to see it at least looks good. Not that I expected anything else from DICE.

I just seriously hope SKSs will be featured in the game.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here