Mortal Kombat Dev Reveals Existence of PSP 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mortal Kombat Dev Reveals Existence of PSP 2

Thanks to NetherRealms Studios' Shaun Himmerick, we now know two things about the PSP 2: firstly, it actually exists, and secondly, Sony has sent some to developers.

Sony has repeatedly said that it wasn't going to release a new handheld system this year, but by the sound of things, it's a good way along the path of having one ready for next year, after NetherRealms Studios let slip that it has a PSP 2 that it is working with.

Speaking in an interview at this year's PAX Prime, the Mortal Kombat executive producer said that the studio was looking into porting the game on to the PSP2, trying to decide how much performance it could expect from the device and figuring out whether it would have to redo a lot of assets. He said that the PSP 2 was a "pretty powerful" system, but gave no further details beyond that. Apparently, NetherRealm does not have a 3DS in house yet, although it wants to get one, and will investigate the system in the same way when it does.

The PSP 2 story seems to be very similar to that of its predecessor, the PSP Go. It's going to be interesting to see how many more details we learn before it's formally announced.

Source: Industry Gamers

Mortal Kombat on the 3DS would be awesome. What's this about a PSP2?

Just make sure it's 100% backwards compatible.

My old PSP broke, and I've felt the urge to replace it for Valkyria Chronicles 2...But I'd be willing to wait until the PSP 2.

I wanna give it a shot myself! Really intrested to see how awesome it will be!

If this is digital distribution only like the PSP Go... Why would anyone want to take any features from that... thing?

Well, if it doesn't have two analog sticks (or some kind of control scheme that achieves the same effect), then I'm not buying. I wonder what they're going to use as the storage media, now that they're dropping UMDs. Since it's Sony, it'll probably be a new thing supported only by the PSP2.

hm i wonder if there will be any backlash from this or if Sony gave them the go ahead to say they have it

psp go hm don't like the sound of that

I'm waiting for the unbelievable good tech demos, then the ridiculous promises, then the real product.

call us if they confirm a second analog stick

this video will explain how i feel about the new psp

Onyx Oblivion:
Just make sure it's 100% backwards compatible.

My old PSP broke, and I've felt the urge to replace it for Valkyria Chronicles 2...But I'd be willing to wait until the PSP 2.

It fucking better be Backwards Compatible, theres far too many awesome games for them to blow it off.

I swear the PSP2 better not be a next gen PSPGo with no UMD drive or I will spit fire. :|

I don't see this as a surprise, Sony need a new handheld console to compete with the upcoming 3DS, this must be it.

(copied from the other topic on this)

To: Sony

Point 1: Sony, fix the controls. Seriously. Fix the goddamn controls. If you cannot manage this, then you don't deserve to persist in this market. It's that simple.

Point 2: PS2 Library. 3rd Party Support. Whatever you want to call it, find it. Use it.

Point 3: You're still probably going to lose to the 3DS, but I'll see you redeemed if you try even just a little to accomplish points 1 and 2.

PSP 2 eh? wouldn't mind seeing a new Final Fantasy: Dissidia on that.. actually i wouldn't mind seeing a new Dissidia on the PS3.

Big surprise? Sony had to have something to go up against the 3DS, even if it means just putting in new hardware to make everything look pretty and doing absolutely nothing special to make the console stand out.

I would bet so much money that the new PSP has a 3D screen, and Sony is going to gush about how innovative and cutting edge they are.

Although in all fairness Sony was first with the 3D TV, so that wouldn't be quite as bad as the PS Move.

Atmos Duality:
(copied from the other topic on this)

To: Sony

Point 1: Sony, fix the controls. Seriously. Fix the goddamn controls. If you cannot manage this, then you don't deserve to persist in this market. It's that simple.

Point 2: PS2 Library. 3rd Party Support. Whatever you want to call it, find it. Use it.

Point 3: You're still probably going to lose to the 3DS, but I'll see you redeemed if you try even just a little to accomplish points 1 and 2.

You forgot using a hard storage medium that doesn't have the worst load times in the history of storage mediums.

V8 Ninja:
Big surprise? Sony had to have something to go up against the 3DS, even if it means just putting in new hardware to make everything look pretty and doing absolutely nothing special to make the console stand out.

THAT'S NOT TRUE......I guarantee it'll have 2 analog sticks......fricken FPS junkies.

If it is powerful enough to support ps2 games than Sony should release ps2 games on PSN. They could even release them along with the collections on ps3 with th ability to transfer save files between the 2. Then you could play the games anywhere : D.

IamSofaKingRaw:
If it is powerful enough to support ps2 games than Sony should release ps2 games on PSN. They could even release them along with the collections on ps3 with th ability to transfer save files between the 2. Then you could play the games anywhere : D.

That would be cool, but damn that would take up a lot of space for a single game unless the PSP2 is packing some serious internal storage. PS2 games on the go would still be amazing none the less.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

You forgot using a hard storage medium that doesn't have the worst load times in the history of storage mediums.

Sony has made it clear that they want to skip the middle-man entirely and just sell you the titles directly. Solid state memory is the best option altogether to achieve this goal, in addition to being the least prone to hardware failure as a result of movement or impact.

Electrogecko:

V8 Ninja:

THAT'S NOT TRUE......I guarantee it'll have 2 analog sticks......fricken FPS junkies.

Even if it did have two analog sticks, that still doesn't make it unique. Consoles since the original Playstation have been using dual-analog sticks, and just putting that on a handheld really won't impress anyone (especially me). As I've said before, Sony got lucky in the gaming business by releasing the hardware that game developers wanted at the time. Besides that, they're the weakest of the three console-manufacturing companies.

Logan Westbrook:
Thanks to NetherRealms Studios' Shaun Himmerick, we now know two things about the PSP 2: firstly, it actually exists, and secondly, Sony has sent some to developers

OMG YAY! I WANT IT SO BAD!!!

Logan Westbrook:
...The PSP 2 story seems to be very similar to that of its predecessor, the PSP Go. It's going to be interesting to see how many more details we learn before it's formally announced.

..........i take that back.

V8 Ninja:

Electrogecko:

V8 Ninja:

Even if it did have two analog sticks, that still doesn't make it unique. Consoles since the original Playstation have been using dual-analog sticks, and just putting that on a handheld really won't impress anyone (especially me). As I've said before, Sony got lucky in the gaming business by releasing the hardware that game developers wanted at the time. Besides that, they're the weakest of the three console-manufacturing companies.

You should have said "In my Opinion". Sony has been picking it up since the launch of the Ps3 and they don't seem to be slowing down. I could list all the software and hardware they are prepared to release but whats the use? If anything I see MS as the weakest at this point b/c they seem to be relying on multiplats and overhyping their few AAA exclusives.

*How is releasing hardware that people want lucky? If you say "Man I would pay $X for an ice cream cone" and I give you one for $X would you call me lucky or smart for capatilizing on an opportunity.

Anecdotal 'confirmation' is nice; of course it was a given that PSP2 is in development. I expected it to be announced at E3 alongside 3DS, or shortly thereafter. Sony may be dragging their feet here, but however long it takes to not make another PSP go.

-Seraph-:

IamSofaKingRaw:

That would be cool, but damn that would take up a lot of space for a single game unless the PSP2 is packing some serious internal storage. PS2 games on the go would still be amazing none the less.

Ipod touches can support like 32gigs of memory right? A regular next gen game is about 4-6 gigs so a ps2 game shouldn't fill your MS much.....I hope...

IamSofaKingRaw:

-Seraph-:

IamSofaKingRaw:

Ipod touches can support like 32gigs of memory right? A regular next gen game is about 4-6 gigs so a ps2 game shouldn't fill your MS much.....I hope...

Oh yea putting internal storage in the thing isn't hard (PSPgo had 16gigs embedded right in), but the major concern I have would be the expense. It doesn't matter how easy or cheap it is to put more memory in the thing, I just know Sony would still charge a lot for it. Although 16gigs already embedded into the PSP2 would be very nice and I am almost certain they will do it...I hope.

I like Sony and all, but I know they still like to pull off some bullshit prices.

Pingieking:
Well, if it doesn't have two analog sticks (or some kind of control scheme that achieves the same effect), then I'm not buying. I wonder what they're going to use as the storage media, now that they're dropping UMDs. Since it's Sony, it'll probably be a new thing supported only by the PSP2.

Ninja'd. Yup two analogues are a must Sony, are you listening??

And perhaps make it a bit more ergonomic...more controller shaped that flat!

Increase the damn battery life please. That's one thing I would want for one thing.

Does it have a second analogue stick?

If not, I'm not interested. If yes....then I'll be interested in a couple of years when I have the money.

V8 Ninja:

Electrogecko:

V8 Ninja:

I know. I was being sarcastically ironic. But I'm soooooo positive it's going to have one since all psp owners want is to play FPS' 24-7.

IamSofaKingRaw:
You should have said "In my Opinion". Sony has been picking it up since the launch of the Ps3 and they don't seem to be slowing down. I could list all the software and hardware they are prepared to release but whats the use? If anything I see MS as the weakest at this point b/c they seem to be relying on multiplats and overhyping their few AAA exclusives.

*How is releasing hardware that people want lucky? If you say "Man I would pay $X for an ice cream cone" and I give you one for $X would you call me lucky or smart for capatilizing on an opportunity.

Yes, it's true that the PS3 has gained steam and that MS does overhype multiplatform and exclusive titles, but the thing is that they have the best online service out of all of the gaming machines out there (excluding the PC) and many games are really pushing online nowadays. Heck, how many people actually bought Halo 3 (or almost any big-name FPS besides Bioshock) for the single player? Close to zero. Also, another problem is that the PS3 doesn't really know what it wants to be. It's trying to sell itself on the fact that it can play Blue-Ray movies as much as it was made for it's intended purpose of playing games. And the game selection seems to be confused as well. On one side there's Killzone while the other has LittleBigPlanet, and Uncharted seems to have it's own separate room. At least the 360 library shows that it's meant for the frat-partying college teens of the world and the Wii tries to aim at the family/younger audience.

Oh, and about the whole lucky thing, Sony originally had formed a partnership with Nintendo to create a CD add-on to the SNES. Unfortunately, due to Nintendo realizing that area was failing at the time, they abandoned the partnership. Sony then decided to use their already-built plans to create a game console of their own, which turned out to be the Playstation. Console game developers wanted to have lots of megabytes to work with (something Nintendo wasn't quite willing to give them, as shown in the N64), and because of how Sony's original plans incorporated the CD format into the game console, developers latched onto the new platform.

EDIT: Oh, and @Electrogecko, I didn't realize it. Sorry if I offended you. ;) However, those are still my opinions.

lololololno. I shall pass on this. PSP had horrible controls, and even when the games were good (there weren't many of them) all I could think about was "Wow. This would be so much better if it were on a normal screen." Just accept defeat in the portable market, Sony.

I'd be interested if it was complete remodel, the original PSP was one of if not the most uncomfortable handhelds/controllers.

Though, I kind of wish portable gaming would just go away. :/

If they have 3D visuals for this, people will get angry. Very angry. Plus if they did have 3D for the PSP 2 then that would just give Microsoft and Nintendo more reasons to bash Sony (e.g. bandwagon jumper, liar, etc.).

Also if it has PS 2 graphics it still won't compare to the 3DS, which supposedly is capable of running Wii level graphics or possibly better.

And to those who are complaining about the lack of a second analog stick... WOULD YOU REALLY PLAY A MULTIPLAYER FIRST PERSON SHOOTER ON A HANDHELD? If so WHY ARE YOU SUCH A SADIST? Then you also have to think about it from Sony's perspective. A second analog stick would probably create some issues with the placement of certain key machinations in the handheld, and if you can just have the developers find a way around using only one analog stick, why wouldn't you?

And Angelic Sven portable gaming will NEVER go away. Have you not seen the "IT PRINTS MONEY" picture for the DS? That's why.

Also if your name is a reference to Questionable Content that is quite an oxymoron.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.