Pirates of the Burning Sea Goes Free

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pirates of the Burning Sea Goes Free

Pirates of the Burning Sea has announced that it will soon join the swelling ranks of free-to-play MMOGs.

Free-to-play is all the rage these days, and why not? The charred plains that lie between the World of Warcraft behemoth and the EVE Online niche are littered with the broken corpses of games that tried and failed to make a buck through conventional subscription models. And with Turbine crowing about its F2P success with Dungeons & Dragons Online, it appears to be an increasingly attractive option for many MMOG studios.

Pirates of the Burning Sea, which debuted in January 2008, is the latest game to roll the dice with the no-subscription model. Flying Lab Software made the announcement yesterday, although the studio claimed the decision had actually been made near the end of 2009. The free version of the game will give players "the complete PotBS experience," with a few limitations to things like character and dockyard slots. Microtransaction-based upgrades and items will be available for purchase, while subscriptions in the form of the "Captain's Club" will still be available to serious fans, offering experience bonuses, better loot chances and other extras.

"Captain's Club members and anyone who has ever subscribed to PotBS will automatically have access to every account upgrade that free accounts do not have (i.e. character slots, structure slots, dockyard slots); we don't want to take anything away from the players who have supported PotBS since we launched," the studio said. "The bottom line is that we want to offer the game to everyone for free while still making sure that our current and former subscribers are recognized for their support."

Flying Lab didn't reveal when the free-to-play changeover will take place but said "all the necessary tech is completed and is in testing, and we're very close to starting the countdown." Want to buckle some swashes on the cheap? Find out more at burningsea.com!

PotBS has always been one of my favorites in the MMO market. The combination of Sid Meier's Pirates! and an MMO is great. Sadly, they just cant compete with the likes of WoW for subscribers.

Harbinger_:
First!

*facepalm*

I suppose it was only a matter of time for PotBS to go free to play. Back when I played it it was a decent game(best part was the ship battles), but the amount of time you were given for the trial wasn't really long enough to do too much. Maybe I'll mess around with it again.

This sounds like it could be fun.

There's no way in hell I'd pay for a game like that, but now that it's free, I might as well try it, and if I like it, I'll probably pay for it.

See, it's a good strategy!

Free to play is the way to go, i used to never get into the MMORPG games or any online monthly subscription game, thats changing now, the more these games go from subscription to free to play the more of a closer look ill pay attention to these types of games.

YAAAAAAARR I might try it YAHARRR

A pirate MMO count me in!

Played it right as it was starting for a while. Basic impressions of it then -- a deep game when it comes to ship combat, but a very small pool of things beyond that to do.

Still, it was fun for the little while I tried it.

lockeslylcrit:

Harbinger_:
First!

*facepalm*

I second that. This "first" bullshit should be a *more* bannable offense.

On topic, this news makes me happy. I followed the development of PotBS throughout its beta and release, but never had the opportunity to actually play it. Now I have some free time, I can make up for that.

In other news...what's with all these MMOs becoming free?

As a fellow pirate, I feel it is my sworn duty to sign up for this game and give it a try!

Yay for free to play! Always good to see more to do ith my spare time!

Manicotti:

lockeslylcrit:

Harbinger_:
First!

*facepalm*

I second that. This "first" bullshit should be a *more* bannable offense.

On topic, this news makes me happy. I followed the development of PotBS throughout its beta and release, but never had the opportunity to actually play it. Now I have some free time, I can make up for that.

In other news...what's with all these MMOs becoming free?

its profitable :)

I'm so all over this shit when it becomes free

Aw hells yeah. I loved messing around in boats, but couldn't put in the time and effort to justify 30 bucks a month. Sure hope I can dig up the CDs from somewhere.

Mmmm.... We will see how f2p turns out.

Harbinger_:
First!

First in the retard line eh? ;)

Here's the thing, I'd pay full price for a boxed or digital copy of an MMO without fees to begin with. I don't really understand why a game like Guild Wars is unique in this regard, but, wouldn't it make more sense to work with that kind of model from the get go rather than scrabbling to get people to play later on when the game starts failing?

wasalp:

Please elaborate. I don't really understand and have been out of the MMO loop for some time.

Well that's interesting. A good reason to start playing again if I ever want to; the same deal all for free. Can't really beat that.

I'm sorry to say that when I see an MMO go F2P I can't help but receive the message "This is our last ditch effort to not go bankrupt".

More often than not the F2P of an MMO is more a demo and than it is being allowed to actually play it in its entirety for free. Its one reason why I somewhat groan when I come across the F2P's that aren't from Korea because I know even though it looks interesting I'll only be allowed to play long enough for me to think "huh I could enjoy this" and pay for their "extra" content only to find out soon after it was all lies and empty promises and that no one was playing their game for a reason.

To be quite honest I've only enjoyed one F2P game in the last 2-3 years and that was Wizard 101, which is kinda sad cause it's supposed to be a kid's game and it somehow managed to not suck despite being F2P. Maybe its just because I'm a sucker for turn based combat, but I'd have played the hell out of that game if I wasn't already so fiercely addicted to WoW. :3

Anyone know if this game is good? Just wondering. Seems pretty cool.

Manicotti:

wasalp:

Please elaborate. I don't really understand and have been out of the MMO loop for some time.

well subscription based mmogs need to run all the servers and release on a regular basis content, this costs alot of money and requires alot of subscribers. A subscription also sets a bar people need to climb before being able to play, to some people a monthly fee is a big deal and is the reason alot of people havent tried wow or won't pay even tough they loved the trial. That type of payment system is good for large very well known mmogs(aka wow)because since alot of people chose an mmo based on what their friends are playing.

A free to play mmog on the other hand removes the entrance bar but limits what the players can do for free, this usually has the effect of increasing drastically the player base of the game and thus increasing their chance of getting paying customers.

Hmmm...this may call for a resurrection of the dread Captain Ignacio LaRose, scourge of the Spanish main!

Darwins_Folly:
Hmmm...this may call for a resurrection of the dread Captain Ignacio LaRose, scourge of the Spanish main!

Holy crap that's awesome!

I didn't bother to buy the game because the gameplay wasn't that interesting. But now that it's free...

*shoots twin pistols a ceiling*

ARRRR, ME LIKEY ANYTHING THAT'S FREE.

AxCx:
Mmmm.... We will see how f2p turns out.

Harbinger_:
First!

First in the retard line eh? ;)

I like being first :)

Manicotti:

wasalp:

F2P swells the ranks of players , Micro transactions are more addicting and sometimes more profitable then subscription fees
especially when a Decent player base makes your MMO Well played constantly allowing people to advance to the stage where they actually want to give the extra money for the perks

Ldude893:
I didn't bother to buy the game because the gameplay wasn't that interesting. But now that it's free...

*shoots twin pistols a ceiling*

ARRRR, ME LIKEY ANYTHING THAT'S FREE.

"Do what you want cause' a pirate life is free...You are a pirate!"

Bookmarked until we get more news. It seems like it would be cool and with all these sub-par free pirate games it would be refreshing to play one that's actually good. Looking forward to giving it a shot.

I honestly thought it was a good game, but by the time I joined up, the majority of the player base were high level, hardcore, endgame types. Like starting out in WoW if you were the only noob and everyone else was 80. An injection of new blood may make it worth checking out again.

Darwins_Folly:
I honestly thought it was a good game, but by the time I joined up, the majority of the player base were high level, hardcore, endgame types. Like starting out in WoW if you were the only noob and everyone else was 80. An injection of new blood may make it worth checking out again.

Well, you can level so fast that the endgame is only a week or two away. But even so I found it difficult to break in once I hit the level cap. You need to PVP and you need the time and contacts to do it right.

Played the Beta. Level-locked with Uber-moves.

Nice idea, poorly executed.

I might try it. Looks kinda cool. I read the free thing. Is it fully free now or will it be later?

Dear MMO Developers/Producers/Whoever is in charge:

Please stop making your MMORPGs free to play. I use up enough of my time with the few games I actually bought. Now there are all these games to play for free as well. Plus, they are MMORPGs, which are very fun and addictive.

Also, I want to play WoW again when Cataclysm comes out. If you keep making your MMO's free, I won't want to pay for WoW. Instead, I'll end up playing your games. So please keep charging your MMOs until you go bankrupt so that I don't play them. It messes with my schedule and head.

Thank-you,

Sturmdolch

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook