Kinect Will Be the "Biggest Platform Launch Ever," Says Microsoft

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Kinect Will Be the "Biggest Platform Launch Ever," Says Microsoft

Microsoft Game Studios Corporate Vice President Phil Spencer predicts that Kinect will be "the biggest launch we've ever seen."

Sometimes, when you're selling stuff, you have to embellish things a little bit. I've done it so often over the course of a long and soul-deadening retail career that I have moments when I can actually feel my grip on reality slipping away, like sand pouring through my open fingers. And while I certainly don't mean to suggest that Spencer is necessarily telling a whopper, I do think that the man's optimism is admirable.

"Retailers are telling us from their buzz and what they hear from people walking the store asking questions that this is going to be the biggest consumer home electronics launch of this year, and they're gearing up towards that," Spencer said in an interview with Eurogamer. "Given all the momentum that I see and the way we're investing, I'll bet this is the biggest platform launch ever."

"We have 15 launch games - few consoles have shipped with 15 launch games," he said. "And there are some things we can take advantage of - the fact the 360 is a platform people know, so the technology involved in putting a game on the platform, connecting to Live - those are things that developers have become adept at."

Spencer said that Microsoft should be able to move "at least" the three million Kinect units predicted to sell over the holidays. "I don't want to get ahead of ourselves," he added, "but we're invested and we expect, yeah, that this will be the biggest launch we've ever seen."

Kinect hits store shelves on November 4 in North America and November 10 in Europe.

I still don't think it'll sell very well...

But my brothers getting one so I can try out those so called 'hardcore' titles.

Well, the Wii had a big launch, right? And this console, like, has NO controllers! That's INFINITELY more immersive! Which means this will have an INFINITELY larger launch!

Microsoft Kinect should be called "Microsoft Hype"... It's full of it, so full that the Hype surpasses the capabilities of Kinect. *retarded clap*

Okay either everyone at Microsoft is delusional or people really are preordering the hell out of this thing.

I might owe Kudo Tsunoda an apology for my last comment about him being a weird sunglasses wearing fool.

Again, they don't read what the consumers are saying, are they? "Biggest console launch ever" is a very serious statement, and they are basically trying my make people say "I wanna be in on the biggest console launch ever! Effectively MAKING the biggest console launch through sheep rather than through people actually wanting the equipment

I don't know. When I saw the Sonic Riders demo, honestly, I thought it was pretty cool. Kids will love it.

mjc0961:
Okay either everyone at Microsoft is delusional or people really are preordering the hell out of this thing.

I might owe Kudo Tsunoda an apology for my last comment about him being a weird sunglasses wearing fool.

Well Kudo is still somewhat of a weird, sunglasses-wearing fool regardless of how well the thing sells. :P

im still a sceptic....

That mutha-trucka is rocking the ganja...

I mean seriously...as a company, do Microsoft really want to be employing people with such a tenuous grip on reality?

The love the contrast of views from Sony and Microsfot on their motion game launchs.

Sony: Move is not a pre-order product.

Microsoft: Kinect is going to be the greatest thing EVAR!

Well considering barely anyone fucking wants it and it can only manage on-rails it'll die quickly.

You can come up with all sorts of crazy ideas but it doesn't mean they're actually good. No controllers sound good on paper and will probably sound good on ads, but in reality it makes for shit games.

Well seeing as I quite literally know no one who thinks Kinect is a good idea and have seen maybe 5% of people on the subject of Kinect on the internet praising it, I'm gonna go ahead and say they're lying.

okay, no. Just... no! Are you shitting me Microsoft? did you actually say that seriously, someone get me a glass of water so I can do a spit take. You wanna know why there hyping this bitch up? because they put all there eggs in this one basket, if it fails they have nothing left to give people. See if Move fails, Sony still has like a billion other games that aren't related to move they can sell you. If Motion Plus failed you had plenty of games that didn't use it on the Wii. But Kinect? if Kinect fails that new Steel Battalion and PDO wont mean shit because that's all you can play it on!

Not one person in my friend circle talks about the kinect. If I would talk to them about it I doubht they will know what I mean.

I'd like an ounce of whatever he's smoking. I speak to a lot of gamers, and not ONE of them has said they're interested in Kinect. Not a single one. You're trying to appeal to the Wii crowd on a hardcore platform. That's ass backwards.

I dont want one, none of my friends want one, family doesnt want one. Me thinks that this guy is FAR too much of an optimist.

I admit, I am interested to see if this comes close to Microsoft lofty expectations.

...I really don't think so.

It's a platform now? I thought it was a new controller.

The games at launch, and even some of the later games dont even look that great.
I dont see the point.

The only Demo here is in the next city, I will pass. I will wait for the actual reality/reviews/games.

I still haven't seen anyone say they want it.

So we have a Microsoft executive saying that a Microsoft product is going to be successful.

Guy, come on, is this even worth reporting on?

I still haven't seen any support from it. Microsoft, if you're going to convince people to buy your abominable motion camera, please include some decent games with it!

I think you guys are gonna be surprised.

Ehhh I don't know about thaaat Microsoft...

For.I.Am.Mad:
I think you guys are gonna be surprised.

it will all become even worse? OH MY!

Didn't we establish motion control makes for poor gameplay? So stop acting like it's the second coming of Jesus Christ. I mean it's not like it hasn't been done before, and now you're over-hyping playing catch-up with the guy everyone thought was the kid on the playground.

As it stands both Sony & Microsoft are irritating me. At least Nintendo has somewhat realized it doesn't work.

Danzaivar:
It's a platform now? I thought it was a new controller.

It's so new and so controller, that it can be considered as a platform. According to some logic. Maybe.

I don't really believe this, but at least microsoft can go "I told you so" on everyone if they actually where right.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! No.

If it does as well as they predict, I will eat my metaphorical hat.

..and of course he will say that. He is been paid to!

Lol. Microhype.

Nope, sorry. No "traditional" gameplay, no vote of confidence. Wii was at least able to show us that much.

So basically, Microsoft are over-hyping again?

Geez, they should just call themselves Microsoft Hy-

z3rostr1fe:
Microsoft Kinect should be called "Microsoft Hype"... It's full of it, so full that the Hype surpasses the capabilities of Kinect. *retarded clap*

Damn ninjas...

OT: Word to the wise, never believe in what someone says IF THEY WERE PAID TO DO IT. Good day.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here