U.S. Air Force Wants Soldiers to Be Like Batman

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

U.S. Air Force Wants Soldiers to Be Like Batman

A program started by the U.S. Air Force focuses on making soldiers as versatile as the caped crusader.

Batman is awesome, but only because he's so smart. He figures out exactly what he'll need in the field and stuffs in all into his Batsuit and utility belt. This is exactly what inspired the U.S. Air Force's "BATMAN" program, which aims to develop new equipment so that soldiers are as capable as Batman himself.

BATMAN stands for Battlefield Air Targeting Man-Aided kNowledge. Sure, it cheats, but who's really going to criticize the Air Force when it's running a program called BATMAN? BATMAN program engineer Reggie Daniels says: "[Batman's] devices allow him to have an advantage. That is what we're trying to do."

The goal of BATMAN is to make soldiers "lighter, smarter, and deadlier." Where a soldier on today's battle field might have to lug 160 pounds of equipment around, Batman is seemingly able to carry even more gadgetry without the weight. The Air Force says this weight is a burden, and hopes to make soldiers more able to complete their missions with less burden through BATMAN.

The program uses the "human chassis" as its Batsuit, with engineers focusing on how to make it more agile by moving equipment to less straining areas of the body. BATMAN is pioneering the use of chest mounted computers and speech recognition, in addition to batteries that get lighter as they're used.

The most Bat-like object is the "Bat Hook," the nickname used for the Remote Auxiliary Power System developed by Defense Research Associates that was also inspired by Batman. DRA's lead test engineer recalls thinking: "You know what would be really cool? Something like what Batman has on his belt that he can take out and wing it up to a power line and get power." The Remote Auxiliary Power System has a hook that can be thrown onto power lines, with a razor inside that will cut tap into them. Power can then be siphoned from the hook through a wire that will recharge a soldier's devices, if necessary.

Future developments are still underway in the BATMAN program, such as a light-based communications system that can be used instead of wiring. Batman's array of gadgetry always seemed like it was impossible for anyone but billionaire Bruce Wayne to create, but the Air Force is pretty rich too.

Source: Tech News Daily

That sounds really cool, but I think I'd be able to take this article a lot more seriously if Adam West wasn't standing next to it hamming things up.

I have admit, it would be pretty awesome if the military was comprised entirely of thousands of Adam Wests.

I'm very interested as to how these people's meetings go...

I mean do they just bring in there childhood comics, or something?

Either way I'm liking their style.

If this really happens, then war is about to get way more awesome.

Also, I see some truly awesome videogames taking inspiration from this, I mean, Batman as a soldier, it's like COD meets Arkham Asylum.... the mind boggles.

Who doesn't want their soldiers to be like Batman?

Will they wear their underpants on the outside too?

All I can think of now is 'Quickly robin, fetch the bat-shark-repellent-spray!' God damn that was a funny movie.

OT: This is pretty cool - who knows, maybe one day they'll go commercial with it :D

My first thoughts were... "But batman doesn't use guns or shoot people!?"

But kudos to the army chiefs for not being afraid to admit that a comic book character is inspiring front-line equipment technology. And the power whip sounds like a useful tool which will undoubtedly lead to some utterly retarded ideas... "Hey I wonder if I can charge my iphone off this 20,000 volt powerline?" ZZZZZZAPPP! *soldier sizzles*

But they won't like Punk music.

"Punk is nothing but death...and crime...and the rage of a beast

That is awesome!

Hopefully some other country will "design" their soldiers like The Joker...well a guy can dream, can't he?

First teh Voltron movie art, now this, its a great day for Brad Sheaprd.

that is so cool...anyone up to joining the US Air Force?...might be easier if i was American but screw it...the Air Force takes today's WIN...

I can see it now, thousand of Batmans being deployed into Afghanistan.

Tell ya summit, Taliban won't know what hit them...I do have a question though...

Will they all get Batmobiles Batjets, and Batsubs??

The only way to fight that kind of force is if all terrorists turn into Jokers.
This isn't really surprising. A lot of today's technology was originally inspired by Star Trek. The touch screen, the photocell doors, cell phones etc.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we all want to be Batman.

Your tax dollars at work. Meanwhile people go hungry and/or are homeless.

Thousands of fully equipped Batmans...
*dreams*

And people said comics weren't good for anything...

Do they have any shark repellent Army spray though?

An army of Batmans.... OoO

PrinceofPersia:
Your tax dollars at work. Meanwhile people go hungry and/or are homeless.

HEY... shutup :P Let em join the air force and become batman, then they wont be hungry or homeless xP

If they gave me all the gadgets and I was allowed to speak in a really deep voice I would signup STAT.

Not to nitpick, but Batman's ability to instinctively 'know' what criminals are in town and what they're up to based on seemingly meaningless smaller crimes is itself a superpower. I doubt an army of gadget-clad airmen could sniff out the Riddler's corn maze hideout based on a kernel of popcorn found in a cave in Afghanistan.

Also, I hope they commercialize some of the Bat-tech they'll be working on for this. I would totally carry around a grapnel, just because it's awesome.

/capeswoosh

Tom Goldman:
DRA's lead test engineer recalls thinking: "You know what would be really cool? Something like what Batman has on his belt that he can take out and wing it up to a power line and get power."

Best military official quote EVER.

Well, somehow I don't think this will overcome the difference in the ability of US soldiers versus that of many other armies.
If you don't know, check up on how many friendly fire incidents US troops have every time they enter a theater of war, and compare it to any other army.

This is just the latest in a long string of "optimization" attempts that ignore the real problem.

So the Air Force wants an army of Batmen, the Marines want an army of Robert Heinlein style power troopers and... what fictional creation does the army want to emulate?

That's awesome, but how the hell did they come up with this idea?

"JOHNSON! What is that you have there!?"
"IT's a comic sir, the man has a lot of field gagetry but still flies everywhere!"
"Light field gagetry you say...."

Do they get wristguards with blades on them?

Have they got the quite-sharp-looking-yet-surprisingly-non-lethal Batarangs?

Will they not kill terrorists?

If a can of Bat Shark-repellant isn't standard issue with every kit, I will consider this program a failure.

-m

Canid117:
So the Air Force wants an army of Batmen, the Marines want an army of Robert Heinlein style power troopers and... what fictional creation does the army want to emulate?

The Imperial Guard?

Surreal image of a squad of US soldiers in pseudo Batman garb crouching around a bunch of rocks waiting for a convoy to pass. One of them brandishes a batarang and slowly stands...

so the air-force wants their soldiers to be rubber suit wearing pedophiles with a barely clothed boy sidekick?

Canid117:
So the Air Force wants an army of Batmen, the Marines want an army of Robert Heinlein style power troopers and... what fictional creation does the Army want to emulate?

My vote goes to Snake Pliskin. And I think he was an Army Ranger too.

General- "Sir our soliders are having a hard time fighting insurgent, any suggestions?"

Pres- "Be more like Batman!"

Thats how I imagine it went down.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook