Portal 2 Preorders Get More Bots For the Buck

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Portal 2 Preorders Get More Bots For the Buck

GameStop is offering bonuses for the co-op portion of Portal 2 if the game is preordered.

Portal 2 has been revealed as not just a sequel to the amazing original, but a game twice the size thanks to a full-fledged unique co-op campaign that supports two simultaneous players. While those players consist of two robots being tested by GlaDOS, people who preorder the game will also get "custom bots."

The only information revealed on this promotion is from the title's GameStop listing, so it may be a GameStop exclusive (we'll have to wait and see on that). As for what "custom bots" means exactly, that's unsure.

It could mean that preorders get to play as new types of robots other than the Laurel and Hardy, fat and skinny ones seen here in the extended co-op trailer getting into suitable hijinx as they make their way through GlaDOS's deathtraps. Or, players might get to customize the look of the original two robots with varying color schemes, decals, parts, etc.

Preorders will also save $5 off of the game's original price, bringing it to $44.99 for the PC and $54.99 on the PS3 and Xbox 360. The same deal was offered for Left 4 Dead 2 last November, so it may become a regular thing for Valve games.

Why would you not order it off of Steam though? I mean...you think that Valve are going to not treat you better in buying direct?

I'm wondering if this game is going to be way bigger than the original if its coming in at retail price, where as the first was included with 4 other games and cheaper to buy

If we preorder the game on Steam, can we still obtain the new "bots?"

Or is this for the retail version only?

So it's twice as big as a 4 hour game...and costs 45 dollars? No thank you.

I would expect Valve to give people who preorder something similar if not better tbh... what is with all the Gamestop exclusives anyway, we don't even have Gamestop in the UK :/ (except for one in Birmingham, for some reason.)

blalien:
So it's twice as big as a 4 hour game...and costs 45 dollars? No thank you.

4x as big. ~8 co-op, ~8 hours singleplayer.

I'm really beginning to hate these pre-order extras. At least these should be available for a (very) small cost as DLC.

Z of the Na'vi:

couldn't you just reskin them?

and my guess is that there prob reskins of Burt and Erny

Fuck you, Gamestop. Fuck you and your exclusive deals.

erbkaiser:
I'm really beginning to hate these pre-order extras. At least these should be available for a (very) small cost as DLC.

Why? GameStop is trying to entice people to purchase from there, rather than elsewhere. If they offered it as DLC, it completely defeats the entire purpose of offering the bonus.

The pre-order offerings are fun and cool, but are hardly necessary in the enjoyment of the game.

ninjajoeman:

Z of the Na'vi:

couldn't you just reskin them?

and my guess is that there prob reskins of Burt and Erny

That's the thing, I shouldn't have to. If Gamestop is providing preorder deals to the retail versions, shouldn't the actual company that made the damn game be providing the same extras for pre-ordering through Steam?

It's confusing, but not really a deal-breaker. I planned on pre-ordering Portal 2 through my Steam account.

Jaded Scribe:

erbkaiser:

Why? GameStop is trying to entice people to purchase from there, rather than elsewhere. If they offered it as DLC, it completely defeats the entire purpose of offering the bonus.

The pre-order offerings are fun and cool, but are hardly necessary in the enjoyment of the game.

Yeah, as long as pre-order bonuses don't directly effect the gameplay, it doesn't bother me...
Still I live in the UK so no pre order from there for me...

I also love how the Valve fanboys are ignoring the fact that Valve developed these extras for GameStop, while not offering the same to their customers on Steam.

I love Valve, and I think they're a great company, but this isn't all on GameStop.

Ohhhh! Something shinny for release, and real shinny too!

The_root_of_all_evil:
Why would you not order it off of Steam though? I mean...you think that Valve are going to not treat you better in buying direct?

Not all people buy games for PC. Plus, in a case like New Vegas, I preordered from Best Buy because the bonus was better, and some people like having the physical disc (not to mention you can't get a CE from Steam, like I wanted with NV).

And $50? I'll probably wait for a half off sale or something. Looking at the dozen games I have to play that I haven't touched yet, lack of time to play between school, work, and homework, and the Steam Holiday sale that will probably happen again, this game will be on sale before I have time to get around to playing it anyway.

Assassin Xaero:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Not all people buy games for PC.

Doesn't need to be PC now...already got the Mac/PS3.

Plus, in a case like New Vegas, I preordered from Best Buy because the bonus was better, and some people like having the physical disc (not to mention you can't get a CE from Steam, like I wanted with NV).

But Fallout isn't made by Valve; Portal is.

No, I want to play as the fat guy.

I guess it depends on what kind of "custom" we're talking here... And whether or not it's also available from Steam. What was the pre-order thing for L4D2?

Portal 2 is going to be awesome, I can tell already!

Hell, the pre-order + bonus are cheaper? Go for it.

Gamestop? Hell I live in NZ, Steam thank you! Or the Xbox 360.

I'll be picking up Portal 2 regardless, but I'm really sick and tired of DLC exclusives. The worst ones being multiplayer exclusives. If the game ends up having multiplayer that's online only, then why the **** did I pre-order it in the first place?! I have zero interest in online multiplayer, and it ticks me of when the only 2 player mode is online (looking at you War for Cybertron).

Would much rather have a companion cube figurine. A collector's edition with a mini portal gun replica (much like how there are mini lightsaber replicas), a talking Aperture Science Sentry Gun figure. Something that's collectible and worth pre-ordering the game for. Not a piece of 1's and 0's that may or may not end up available to people later.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Because some of us have crappy internets.

Plus, nothing beats the new-game smell.

Alright. I was going to pre-order it anyway, just to show my support. Companies like pre-orders because it gives them advance feed-back into how well a game has sold, which allows them to plan their finance and R&D in advance. If you are going to buy it anyway, why not pre-order? I accept that in this day and age of digital delivery, pre-ordering for PC games is completely pointless, due to the fact that there is no limit how how many digital copies they can sell, so the consumer is never in any danger of "missing out" on a copy.

Due to this, they have to give some other incentive for pre-orders, because the old advantage of pre-ordering no longer exists.

In reality, I fail to see why people are angry - custom bot skins do not affect how the game is played, and would add very little to the game. Pre-ordering does not cost anything extra, helps Valve (which is a company I am fond of) and gives you a little throw-away bonus.

There are some bad examples of pre-ordering in video games (BFBC1 was an example), but in general, if you care enough about the pre-order bonus to complain about it, then you probably care enough about the series to pre-order it. And if you don't, you don't. So why are you complaining?

Save your anger for stuff that matters - like social problems or matters of injustice.

I expect the same preorder deal to be on steam.

Remember that "exclusive" gamestop baseball bat in L4D2? Ya I got that even though I only preordered it on steam :P

Guys Steam will have the same bonus, this is just like L4D2 with the baseball bat, Gamestop said it was only them but it wasn't, steam had the same thing. So obviously this is what they are doing.

Jaded Scribe:
I also love how the Valve fanboys are ignoring the fact that Valve developed these extras for GameStop, while not offering the same to their customers on Steam.

I love Valve, and I think they're a great company, but this isn't all on GameStop.

Yet. I would imagine that Valve will replicate the L4D2 pre-order bonus available from anyone worth their salt, Steam included. It's just that GameStop's been first to post about it. (Something cosmetic... Black robots?)

And, if L4D2 is anything to go by, this is one exclusive that won't be sold later on.

SirBryghtside:

Jaded Scribe:

Only on GameStop? Is there any English equivalent?

"This isn't all on Gamestop."

"This" applying to the blame and outrage Valve fanboys are heaping upon GameStop.
"isn't" a contraction forming a negative statement.
"all" again, applying to the blame and outrage Valve fanboys are heaping upon GameStop.
"on" where said blame and outrage is being placed.
"GameStop" a noun.

All together, it means that the noun supplied is not the only place where blame/outrage should be placed. I.e. it's not completely their fault.

More examples with similar construction:
"The problems with the current economy aren't all on Obama."
"The New York Jets utter failure last Sunday wasn't all on the Quarterback."

This type is quite common in the region I live, but I guess it might not be as common elsewhere in the US, or in other English-speaking countries.

Delusibeta:

Jaded Scribe:

Yet. I would imagine that Valve will replicate the L4D2 pre-order bonus available from anyone worth their salt, Steam included. It's just that GameStop's been first to post about it. (Something cosmetic... Black robots?)

And, if L4D2 is anything to go by, this is one exclusive that won't be sold later on.

This is possible. Though GameStop also pays a lot of money for exclusives, and it would be good business in many ways for Valve to give them a true exclusive.

Wow..... thats kind of evil. "You don't get co op unless you preorder SO HAHA to all the guys who cant preorder!"

Tom Goldman:

Oliver and Hardy

You mean Laurel and Hardy?

I can't imagine NOT just getting the game off Steam. Why would I buy a retail copy of a game that will basically just be a disc that redirects me to Steam? It just seems so unnecessary.

I bet there'll be 100x more, and better, skin mods in the first week of release...

Last Bullet:
I guess it depends on what kind of "custom" we're talking here... And whether or not it's also available from Steam. What was the pre-order thing for L4D2?

a baseball bat

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or