Industry Obsessed With "Gay Space Marines," Says Mafia 2 Producer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I remember reading an article one time that basically stated part of the reason for space marines being so common is because it is much easier to process shaved heads and metal armor than human fair and organic materials accurately.

WanderingFool:

Bigeyez:
Oh the delicious irony. How I love thee. Now I'm going to go write an original story about an Italian man named Vito who gets an offer he can't refuse.

Yes, quite delicious... I wonder if Space Marines have a "dont ask, dont tell" policy too...

well, that would be verry hard, at least for 40k marines. ( they share sight and experiences, instantly XD ) and get pretymuch purged by fire if they do something the god emperor of man kind would not aprove. or at least the inquisition. -raises shoulders- the ork sollutio is best. all males, no genitals XD, and you get more 'kids' the more badass you are XD ( by spreading spores from your skin )

So Halo: Reach is nothing but gay space marines?
Fail Troll.

If anything the industry is obsessed with modern warfare shooters.
He's just sad because he failed to realize that reach was coming out a few weeks after Mafia 2

We need MORE gay space marines!!!

Shemue 2 remake in space, down the docks looking for sailors...

seriously though, anyone else think gay people are not represented enough in games, especially the western titles. I know there are a lot of homophobic people out there but their easy enough to avoid, just dont make the game for xbox live.

You know, I think we need more, not less, gay Space Marines. I don't speak about the hyper-masculine, brawny, "brothers-in-arms", kind of homoerotic, I mean Space Marines in pink armour using pom-poms of death instead of chainsaws to kick ass and who redecorate interiors with the bowels of their enemies.

To anyone offended, this was meant as a joke. I'm sorry if it is not your kind of humour.

Actually, I think our medium could only profit from a more realistic depiction of homosexual characters.

Hardly the biggest problem. The biggest problem is game developers making bad games and not caring because they think they are genius masters of narrative and immersion.

It sounds like he was using "gay" to mean "stupid." Common terminology among third graders. I almost feel like boycotting his games because of how immature that kind of use of language is. It's one thing to actually be offensive, it's another entirely to act like snitty teeny-bopper while being offensive.

That being said, I don't think the characters from Gears of War care what people think their sexuality is. They'd murder you before you got a chance to poke fun at them, so its pointless.

The Axon Hillock:
It sounds like he was using "gay" to mean "stupid."

He's a grown man. It's likely he was trying to appear like a no nonsense bloke by throwing in some casual homophobia.

Well fine, if that's the way he wants to play. I won't buy his game. There, he just lost a sale. I hope he's happy

Jaredin:
I can totally agree - Charactrs are all the same shade of grey these days...

and not enough `colorfully gay`

indeed....

Make a good game and maybe I'll listen to him. Until, he can go die in a hole.

I like how everyone is ragging on the salad tossing accusation when this entire trolling session was ignited by a man claiming games need more innovation and better story telling, this coming from the man who produced the single most predictable game of the year!

Did anybody praise the writing of Mafia 2?

Sounds like someone's a little steamed up by how well a certain game recently sold...

Although, I must say, he's right. I'm sick of generic armor dude has to save generic space colony from generic alien menace (why can't the enemy ever be more humans? And perhaps have aliens on the good side?)

You tell em', Mr. Did-the-exact-same-Italian-mobster-characters-as-every-other-Mafia-related-form-of-entertainment-ever!

Makes the multiplayer even funnier. Scrawny thirteen year olds playing roided up beefcakes teabagging other roided up beefcakes while offering up homophobic slurs.

"methinks the kid doeth protest too much."

You know he could have said "Gray Space Marines" and been accurate and funny, maybe he just missed an R.

The Axon Hillock:
It sounds like he was using "gay" to mean "stupid." Common terminology among third graders. I almost feel like boycotting his games because of how immature that kind of use of language is. It's one thing to actually be offensive, it's another entirely to act like snitty teeny-bopper while being offensive.

That being said, I don't think the characters from Gears of War care what people think their sexuality is. They'd murder you before you got a chance to poke fun at them, so its pointless.

You need a reason to boycott his games other than "they're inane shitty copies of games that companies not entirely staffed by failures put out"?

Right, we need more POV action in Gears of War. or maybe just Kratos....

Christemo:
nip

to counter his statement however, i'll say developers need to move away from the video games that has to do with crime. being an outlaw isnt very fun.
snip

their are olny so manny random street hookers you can wail on before it gets dull and you kick yourself for wasteing all that useful ammo.

OT: so yeah some guy made a bad joke at the expence of the industry, cant we go back to our "-till Warhammer 40k 'Space Marine' comes out clocks?"

The Axon Hillock:

You can boycott his games simply because they are bad. Generally rubbish, always a rip-off of something else.

OP: His comment doesn't anger me, his arrogance does. Saying you want the best while simultaneously procuring the same nonsense but in a different disguise does not make one great.

There will always be a place for "macho" space marines, even if the industry starts producing games with stellar writing. Those who disagree are those who are deluded to the idea that we live in a civilised world and somehow think Uber-Masculinity = Barbarity.

Quite frankly, I'd say its more immature to think that it's beneath us to enjoy this.

Oh these industry types. Games should be taken seriously! Games are a relevant art form! Excuse me while I devolve into a thirteen year old homophobic xbox LIVEer for an interview!

Maybe he's been playing DoW II's last Stand with me then:

Yes, that is who I always play as. Yes, it is even funnier when he summons a dreadnought.

I just got tired of everyone with their black armour serious mehreens.

Zeromaxx:

The Axon Hillock:

You need a reason to boycott his games other than "they're inane shitty copies of games that companies not entirely staffed by failures put out"?

Actually the first Mafia is widely regarded as a pretty great game, with a really strong narrative. Sorta beat out the GTAs of it's day. But yeah, with that said fuck this guy. We wonder why non-gamers think the entire industry is consistent of immature thirteen year olds.

I don't feel its the space marines fault, lazy writers (sorry halo reach you especially) need to have scripts that don't come off as point to point reasonings for why you're doing and objective.

In all seriousness I've done all there is to do in the halo series and there is no plot there. I know nothing, I tried to think about what the plot is over the course of the games and it just distills into "they are the covenant and we hate those guys". Nothing profound or life changing, but seriously what did they do strip the plot out and sell it as books.

PaulH:

Kollega:

Christemo:
i will say tho that Warhammer 40k space marines are the only ones i really like, but they were basically the first (i heard something about marines in star trek, but ive never watched it) and they have so much more personality.

Starship Troopers were first. And i friggin' love mentioning that.

Sorry for the double post, but i needed that quote to show up.

But Starship Troopers was a parody of the US Army ... 40 k is gothic science fantasy.

40k is grimdark 14-year-old fantasy, and it's worth mentioning that there are no female Space Marines there. (There are Sisters of Battle which Games Workshop seems to be trying very, very hard to get rid of.)

I think a game where Space Marines are the enemy would be fun. You'd be walking about, minding your own business, and a giant transport pod full of genetically over-enhanced men with enough armor to build a motorcade of trucks slams in and they start shooting the shit out of everything. Basically like what Halo: CE was, except from the covenants point of view (and, while my imagination is still at work here, make them less ugly.)

.. F*c*ing homophobe, go back to your 1950's

Sebenko:
Maybe he's been playing DoW II's last Stand with me then

Yes, that is who I always play as. Yes, it is even funnier when he summons a dreadnought.

I just got tired of everyone with their black armour serious mehreens.

Those are traitor legion colors! BURN THE HERETIC!

Enigmers:

PaulH:

Kollega:

Christemo:
i will say tho that Warhammer 40k space marines are the only ones i really like, but they were basically the first (i heard something about marines in star trek, but ive never watched it) and they have so much more personality.

But Starship Troopers was a parody of the US Army ... 40 k is gothic science fantasy.

40k is grimdark 14-year-old fantasy, and it's worth mentioning that there are no female Space Marines there. (There are Sisters of Battle which Games Workshop seems to be trying very, very hard to get rid of.)

[Citation Needed]

How do you mean get rid of? Expand their army list and make them a useful faction?

I got to argee with him, games like gears of war seem like action movies that are made almost every month, ie; generic.
Though Mafia II was quite gritty it did have some good writing, so maybe he's just showing off.
P.S. Why 'gay' space marines?

Im going with the gay space marines instead of the gay italian mafia.

Enigmers:

PaulH:

Kollega:

Christemo:

Rogue Trader (new, not old ... albeit the old Rogue Trader was made of win) and Dark Heresy is probably a better example of I'm talking about.

Marines use the gene codes of the Emperor and the 18 Primarchs. So I guess there's reasons why there is no female space marines.

That being said I would have liked female catachan and cadian models without having to use Escher models from Necromunda. Instead I made a penal Imperial Guard army with lots of Escher models.

Says the guy responsible for a mafia themed game...

"You want piece of me, Boy?"

Better stories?

May I just point out how dull Mafia II's story was: Halo Reaches story gave me more of a thrill then Mafia 2 did, which is REALLY sad (while I dont htink Halos story is bad, its a bit bare. Compare that to a game thats supposed to be about story).

But, yeah. Better stories are a plus. Practice what you preach.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here