Half-Life 2 Remade in Incredible CGI

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Half-Life 2 Remade in Incredible CGI

It's a teaser trailer to a trailer for a movie that will never exist, and it's totally worth a few minutes of your time.

It's been years since the release of Half-Life 2, but Valve's sci-fi shooter still manages to excite and inspire gamers. Fan-films based on the game aren't exactly rare, but even so, animator Marco Spitoni's short CGI trailer is something pretty special.

Spitoni's work,I'm the Freeman, is designed to be a trailer to a movie that doesn't exist, and not just any movie either: the second part of a wholly imaginary Half-Life trilogy. The trailer above isn't the completed piece though, and Spitoni says that the full thing will have more content and tell a little bit more of the story. Spitoni works for Peter Jackson's digital effects studio Weta Digital as a previs supervisor, and has put I'm the Freeman together as a labor of love.

As part of the notes on the video, Spitoni said that he won't be following the games exactly, and has left himself some room for interpretation. He mentions the appearance of the train from Half-Life 1 as an example, saying that it represents the end of the first fictional Half-Life movie, as well as the nightmares that Gordon is having while the G-Man keeps him on ice.

With so much thought and planning having gone into it, it's kind of a shame that we won't ever get to see more than a few minutes of this fictional trilogy. Still, it's much better than nothing.

Source: Nerdcore

That looks slick, I'd see this over that Ultramarines movie any day.

Sevre90210:
That looks slick, I'd see this over that Ultramarines movie any day.

I don't get this.

Has there been an actual non-teaser trailer that everyone's seen?

I can't wait for the Ultramarines movie it sounds fine and I haven't seen the graphics yet...

That was....Short.

I little disappointed. Not bad though.

Why can't things like this actually get made into real movies :(

Your way behind. Someone had a thread about this a long time ago.

It deserves badass voiceovers. Like:
Barney: "Now...about that beer I owed ya!"
Eli Vance: "I've seen a lot of things, too. Genocide, indescribable evil."
Alyx Vance: "They destroyed...everything."
Vortigaunt: "Da Freeman!"
Gordon Freeman: "..."

Very short, and left me wanting more.

Much, much more.

This video actually makes Freeman look cool. He's not just a pair of hands carrying a gun around he's... y'know, doing something.

I'd help fund this to make it a real movie. Not much, but I'd put money in a charity box for it or something like that.

well that looked awesome...

Now this gets to accompany all the others in the category of; Will never happen no matter how much every last competent person wants it to.
Which is so very, very sad.

That was the awesomest 1 minute and 15 seconds of my life.

Blue_vision:

Can you imagine if Bay/Boll/Cameron/Lucas or Shyamalan got hold of this?

Best not to. Keep our dreams safe.

I don't get it. Why do people say this has incredible graphics? They look rather poor for Hollywood, if anything.

ciortas1:
I don't get it. Why do people say this has incredible graphics? They look rather poor for Hollywood, if anything.

Well, first off, it was done by one guy. Second off, it's a YouTube video, and YouTube most likely does some compression of the videos to make them take less space, which also makes it lower quality.

I think that this is teriffic work, and it really seems to fit with the general feel of the Half-Life series. The battles were very well-shot, and the shaky-cam was actually well-implemented. It wobbled a bit here and there, but still allowed you to see what was going on, unlike some movies I could name... but won't to avoid flamewars.

Quite impressive really.

Youtube is the cause of quality loss but still, looks good and worthy of such title.

Very noice....it's looks good very good.

looks sweet however I dont think it would make good as a film, if there was a spin-off such as following Barney and have scenes depicting Freeman in fights/battles from a distance then it might not rape the series.

I want more.

My only complaint is that Freeman doesn't look enough like in his artwork.

Apart from that, friggin' sweet!

Looks awesome, kind of like what HL2 would have looked like if it had been made my Kojima with 6 hours of cutsene and 4 hours of gameplay XD

ggaaaa Value should drop them 200k and get them to do a feature film and sell it on steam and via DVD!!

SomeBritishDude:
That was....Short.

I little disappointed. Not bad though.

This, "few minutes of your time" is more like 30 seconds. Thumbs up, great work, but really, really short.

Wish we'd get some full CGI movies, they could make for some fantastic pieces of work.

Made me smile - If only it could be real...

Whoever made this deserves a medal,a Platinum and medal with Diamonds in it.

If this only would turn out to be a real movie...

The_root_of_all_evil:

Blue_vision:

Can you imagine if Bay/Boll/Cameron/Lucas or Shyamalan got hold of this?

Best not to. Keep our dreams safe.

You're putting James Cameron in the same league as Boll and Lucas? Why?

OT: That was pretty damn bad-ass.

Jonny49:

You're putting James Cameron in the same league as Boll and Lucas? Why?

Avatar/Titanic mostly. Can you think of his re-imagining of Half Life? What with the Buzzcut marines and the tasteful nude scenes and the lack of plot and the morphing technology and the 3d glasses and the Gordon dancing scene....

Looked great, although some of the scenes looked a bit too CGI. I liked "Escape from City 17"'s mix of real world (Prague) with CGI animation.

Including the aircar bit in is the cherry on the cake. That was one of the best pieces put into the game.
And then Gordon seeing the newspaper articles on the 7 hour war. Very sobering.

That was so awesome I think I pissed my pants.

Now if we could only get a version of this that is synched with the
Gordon freean saved my life! song that we had on here recently
now that would be awesome!

It was cool, but way too short.

The only problem I really have w/ this is that Freeman's head looks too square. (that's just my opinion though)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here