GOG.com Closes its Digital Doors

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Therumancer:

In the end I think it more or less came down to simple greed, and if the DRM theory is correct, it shows that companies would rather totally deep six a project like this than not make what they consider "worthy" mountains of cash.

Between that and the Ubisoft DRM, it's getting hard to believe that publishers don't want us to pirate, since every other option is shut down or so ludicrously difficult as to be not worth trying.

Nooo~!
I haven't even played Arcanum yet, how could you refuse a man his Arcanum!?

Good news everybody: GOG's PR man Tom Ohle has responded, saying, "As the message on the site says, this doesn't mean GOG is gone. We'll have more to share in the coming days. No need to jump to conclusions :)"

Sauce: http://www.neoseeker.com/news/14926-digital-pc-classics-service-good-old-games-closes/

C117:
... part of me just died...

amen to that. I've bought about 25 games from them and enjoyed every one of them more than most contemporary games. And all of the extras they offered just made things better. A very sad day man.

aw. dangit. i want those games NOW!

ah hell i got the PS2 Deus Ex for £1.50 yesterday in town (now i just need a PS2 :P)

Noooo! I bought Arcanum from GOG! was looking forward to Age of Wonders 2 release!

It's apparently a PR stunt. That's D.Toid, with an apparent quote from one of the Gog.com team.

DRM can stick itself where moons don't orbit. So can copyright laws that somehow apply 10 years after something was released. In short, capitalism sucks.

Well, that fucking sucks. I had a few games in my GoG collection, so I guess I'll have to put a day or 2 aside to download em all again.

Sad day :(

If this is a stunt it's one hell of a stunt to pull on people. I hadn't bought a lot of games from GoG but I was very glad when the full Total Annihilation collection showed up on their site.

I never use it myself, but, I know a friend who is going to be devastated by its loss...

Where am I going to get Total Annihilation now?

This is bad, very bad.
Well, since the games are DRM free, at least I don't lose anything I bought.

Man that's bad news...

Chatney:
DRM can stick itself where moons don't orbit. So can copyright laws that somehow apply 10 years after something was released. In short, capitalism sucks.

Like it or not copyrights apply until ~60 years after the author dies.(exact duration varies by country)

This is how copyright works for everything, video games included.

I never even knew about these guys dammit! Ung that's depressing.

Well ... never heard of them.

Never heard of them, but I assume this is bad so NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

........... This was not the kind of news I wanted to see late sunday. GOG was so awesome too. Thanks to them, I got ahold of a few nice games. This sucks. :(

Well, that sucks. GOG was awesome.

Nooo! Oh wait I had no idea who these guys were three seconds ago.

The rumors of this being a PR stunt have been getting pretty strong. So, I'm sure they'll be back soon. The big problem will be how many of their customers will be back with them? IMO, this is a pretty poor way of doing business. A simple warning would have been fine. But I guess a "clever" way to do things is what gets attention. I have back-ups of everything I download, so I'm not affected. But if I needed to re-download a game from them right now, I sure as hell would be pissed.

To be honest I've never even heard of them but still sad loss I guess.

Orry:

Chatney:

Like it or not copyrights apply until ~60 years after the author dies.(exact duration varies by country)

This is how copyright works for everything, video games included.

I know, and it sucks.

I worried about their fate when I realized that their catalog wasn't really growing all that much and the initial wow factor had worn off after a few years. Also, the problem with selling classic games is that you've got a fairly limited number of them as well as a small market, and once that's saturated it's pretty difficult to continue making money. I applaud their attempt to make a go at it, and I enjoyed patronizing their site while they were still around.

I've bought games from GOG.com, and I tend to agree with the "stunt" angle. Only three days ago, I received an email from them for a promotion. This annoys me as I'd finally replaced my failing DVD burner, and was planning to download and burn the games I'd bought.

I'm glad we'll get a chance to download the games later, but I do hope they'll still be DRM-free.

THIS IS A PR STUNT TO MAKE LOTS OF NOISE BEFORE GOING FROM BETA TO FULL SERVICE
Sorry for yelling but so few people read other posts.

mattaui:
I worried about their fate when I realized that their catalog wasn't really growing all that much and the initial wow factor had worn off after a few years. Also, the problem with selling classic games is that you've got a fairly limited number of them as well as a small market, and once that's saturated it's pretty difficult to continue making money. I applaud their attempt to make a go at it, and I enjoyed patronizing their site while they were still around.

hahahahahaha

wait no...thats not funny at all.

It's actually possible that this is a PR stunt. Some time ago CDPRojekt did similar 'marketing' for their 'lower price' game re-release series announcing how the whole project is going to be shut down only to actually re-brand it some time later.

REALLY wish I knew about them before now.

As some are saying, it may be a publicity stunt, a bad one at that.

coldalarm:
It's apparently a PR stunt. That's D.Toid, with an apparent quote from one of the Gog.com team.

If they put in DRM they would lose a lot of customers, since no DRM is why most people, me included, buy from them.

If it's a publicity stunt:

Fuck you. I now know what GoG is and will purchase to my hearts' content once it goes back online, but I still feel violated. VIOLATED!

Actually good show CD Projekt, good show.

Honestly, this is TWELVE DAYS after I finally bit the bullet and started buying stuff off the site. I was going to wait until I got my new netbook next month (old games + netbook = win). Thank God I didn't, and that I have all the downloads.

The fact that I regard HOMM III and MOO II as the greatest PC games ever made and that they were both there finally sold me. Sure I already own them, but playing Master of Orion II without spending hours
fiddling around with DOSbox to run it on Windows 7 was worth the six dollars.

Oh, and I was just browsing for more games last night. What a slap in the face. This is either the worst publicity stunt ever (for which someone needs to be dragged out the back and summarily shot) or the site is in genuine trouble but didn't think it might be worth warning its customers in advance. What if I'd bought that Codemasters pack five minutes before it went down?

Well now, that REALLY fucking sucks.

Awww crap. I was going to buy a whole bunch of their stuff as soon as I got a new computer. Well, I've only just got it, and now GOG is closing up shop? I don't believe in a deity of any sort, but obviously somebody up there hates me...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here