Build Your Own Dalek With Official Doctor Who Blueprints

Build Your Own Dalek With Official Doctor Who Blueprints

If you've ever wanted to build your own Dalek, now you can with blueprints straight from the BBC.

The Daleks are one of Doctor Who's mortal enemies, and try as he might, he just can't seem to make them go away. Thanks to official blueprints released by the BBC, he'll have even more to contend with, built by enterprising fans of the long-running television show.

Back in the early 1980s, a Doctor Who fanatic wrote to the BBC requesting for help so that he could build his own Dalek at home. Amazingly, the Doctor Who production office wrote back with an entire booklet that contained detailed blueprints (with a spiffy cover) that showed exactly how to do it. The only catch was that the fan couldn't use the Dalek for commercial purposes.

The blueprints say that the average Dalek build should be divided up into five sections: head, neck, shoulders, body, and base. They also give lists of specific materials needed, such as car wax, modeling clay, and a plunger (I knew that's what that was!).

They're hosted here by a fellow named Tom that used them as a reference for a 3D modeling project. You, however, should use them to create one of the most terrible scourges that the universe has ever known, and post pictures afterward.

Source: Dalek Blueprints, via Dvice

O_O So much win. Must have own Dalek. *clicks link* and I shall give it a fez! Because fezzes *puts on shades* are cool. YEEEEOWW!

Thats fucking awesome(pardon my language)!

Quite cool, although the links for the large GIF files all seem broken. I was able to grab the smaller images though. Still a great referance.

I may have to reassign the warhammer terrain crew to build a dalek now...

Galactic cleansing will soon be complete.

Root hasn't commented yet... probably starting his right now.

This isn't exactly new. People have been building their own Daleks for decades now. That official blueprints have been released is interesting, though. Anyway, there's a website dedicated to this stuff at http://www.projectdalek.co.uk

Y'see, that's what separates an ordinary production team from an awesome one.

Ordinary team: "Yeah, have the art department slap together something for the bloke."

Awesome team: "You know what? I feel like making a booklet for this chap. Somebody call the art department and have them paint up a cover. Get the technical crew together... I'm thinking blueprints."

Excellent! Our plan to rebuild the Daleks will work and not even the Doc-tor will be able to stop us this time!

OT: Oh this is very interesting, guess I have something to scare the hell out of kids on halloween now.

TheGoldenMan:
Thats fucking awesome(pardon my language)!

Absolutely! I think this is brilliant. I want my own Dalek. Preferably one that can be remote controlled or I can get inside and pilot it.

Ah, that image is nostalgic. Not that one in particular, but the style reminds me of my childhood, reading my dad's old sci-fi novels.

This is kind of cool.

Though, I'd love to build a Cyberman.

In before Root.

It seems I shall be visiting the hardware store tomorrow.

I'd say this is a cheaper alternative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr3nR1TBREk

Oh. So -that- is what Doctor Who is. A sci-fi serie? I've heard it being mentioned so many times without knowing what it was.

Wow. This is nerd-tastic. I demand a follow-up thread where model making Escapists show off their work!
Edit: Not necessarily -as large- as the Daleks recommended in the blueprint guide. Scale versions would be awesome, too.

lol dude look at that cover! look at the old doctor who.....What was up with all the original doctors before the 2000's shows the doctors all looked like crotchity old men...with big poofy hair...

WilliamRLBaker:
lol dude look at that cover! look at the old doctor who.....What was up with all the original doctors before the 2000's shows the doctors all looked like crotchity old men...with big poofy hair...

They were also far better actors and better written characters than the modern series (I love both though for their reasons).

in b4 root

Irridium:

It was 3 am over here. He's sleeping.

Oh dear, you do realize this means we won't see root for the next 3 weeks or so right?

Trogdor1138:

WilliamRLBaker:

They were also far better actors and better written characters than the modern series (I love both though for their reasons).

I'd disagree I watched the original doctor who series and quite frankly they were far too steeped in common British terms, and ideals back then, The current doctor who series actors are far far more worldly.

As for that its not a matter of acting, I've never seen such poofy hair and rickety old man looks before.

Its just want they want! People to build an army for them ;o

These were released years ago - I own a copy of the official magazine in which they were distributed. My uncle tried making one but gave up halfway through.

At last! I shall soon have my own personal army! On the downside, they'll always be yelling "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!" in that ear-bleeding voice of theirs...

Oh hey, these are new series Daleks!

If only I had the money I would have started years ago... no, actually I wouldn't. But only because the first time I saw DW was not even a full year ago.
Still, hurray for Daleks! DALEKS SHALL REIGN SUPREME! DALEKS ARE THE SUPERIOR BEINGS!

Now what about plans for this one, Mister Goldman?

You honestly didn't know it was a plunger? You're a little late to the party there my friend.

Quaxar:
Oh hey, these are new series Daleks!

If only I had the money I would have started years ago... no, actually I wouldn't. But only because the first time I saw DW was not even a full year ago.
Still, hurray for Daleks! DALEKS SHALL REIGN SUPREME! DALEKS ARE THE SUPERIOR BEINGS!

Now what about plans for this one, Mister Goldman?

That, my friend, it totally fucking sweet.

I want to build my own Jon Pertwee.

Caliostro:
in b4 root

Irridium:

Oh dear, you do realize this means we won't see root for the next 3 weeks or so right?

This is only the beginning.
We will prepare.
We will grow stronger.
When the time is right, we will emerge and take our rightful place as the supreme power of the UNIVERRRRRRRSE ! ! !

Sorry I'm late, I was collecting a ton of balsa wood to make this EPIC DALEK!

And I am actually gonna make this one day!

Epic stuff.

I love Dr.Who

Post your homemade Daleks here.

GO GO GO!

The_root_of_all_evil:

Caliostro:
in b4 root

Irridium:

This is only the beginning.
We will prepare.
We will grow stronger.
When the time is right, we will emerge and take our rightful place as the supreme power of the UNIVERRRRRRRSE ! ! !

I clicked the link. It made it soooo much better. People are looking at me funny for laughing out loud rather hard this late.

WilliamRLBaker:

Trogdor1138:

WilliamRLBaker:

I'd disagree I watched the original doctor who series and quite frankly they were far too steeped in common British terms, and ideals back then, The current doctor who series actors are far far more worldly.

As for that its not a matter of acting, I've never seen such poofy hair and rickety old man looks before.

To each their own, as I said I love both series, they each have their ups and downs.

right, that's winter's project sorted!

"The only catch was that the fan couldn't use the Dalek for commercial purposes."

How about using it for galactic domination?

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.