CCP Teases New Vampire: the Masquerade MMO

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

CCP Teases New Vampire: the Masquerade MMO

If you fancy being a vampire, but don't want all that bothersome sparkling, then EVE Online creator CCP has the game for you.

At the Grand Masquerade convention in New Orleans, White Wolf and CCP have unveiled a teaser trailer for an MMOG based on the World of Darkness tabletop RPGs. The game was announced way back in 2006 when the two companies merged, but very little had been heard about it since.

The game will be based on the Vampire: The Masquerade game, which aside from being a tabletop game has been the subject of two videogames - Redemption and Bloodlines - as well as a very short-lived TV show. In V:tM, Vampires are split into various clans and sects, each with their own agenda, and spend their time locked in conflict with one another, making it an ideal setting for an MMO.

Details on the game are thin on the ground at moment, but tweets from one of the game's designers say that it will focus on party politics and social interaction, and that that the game won't be released until 2012 at the earliest. Considering the incredible stories of empires being toppled and great heists being pulled off in EVE, it's going to be very interesting to see what CCP makes of the World of Darkness.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun

I loved the Masquerade Redemption back in the day, bloodlines was hit and miss but news of a MMOG just ruined my day.

If this happens i hope they deal with all the bugs before they release it, i was under the impression people needed a unofficial patch to get it to work properly.

I can see alot of Twilight fans playing this.

Hopefully the fact that they said it is based on Vampire:The Masquerade means it actually will be based off that edition rather than the 'new' Vampire:The Requiem. It means there maybe will be chance of playing Malkavian or Toreador which were cut out in streamlined Requiem.
On the other hand, shame it's not WoD in general, with mages, faerie, werewolves, mummies, demon hunters and rest of the happy bunch.

If it has politics and social interaction of Eve im tempted to give it a spin, after all the vampire part of WoD was all about inner affairs.

*Can't stop grinning*

Oh, the joys I will feel, playing a Tremere... Your blood will be mine to command *keeps grinning like an idiot*

FinalDream:
I loved the Masquerade Redemption back in the day, bloodlines was hit and miss but news of a MMOG just ruined my day.

CCP can be trusted with MMO's mate, partly due to the fact that their design philosophy includes not giving a flying shit about WoW, but also just because they are creative and original in their ideas, and they take used input very seriously.

only thing to be concerned about is this will probably be based on vampire: requiem and not masquerade.

As creator and admin of the Escapist's own Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines group, just let me say, IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME.

Oh, I so hope this works out. And that it's good.

Awesome. Bloodlines is still one of my favorite games, and if the MMO is going to be based off of politics (as it should be) and set in Masquerade instead of Requiem, then I'm definitely interested. Now the only question is Tremere, Toreador, or Malkavian...

I have a job now. That means now I can buy some blood to drink, to get into the mood to play this game. I am most excited.

Well, if they're toting it as "World of Darkness" like the end of the teaser did, perhaps it won't stay just Vampire for long. As someone who still actively plays the old World of Darkness tabletop games, this is very exciting news.

Damint! The dilemmas in life! :P Maybe I'll even stop my EVE account for this and walk around as a Malkavian or Brujah! Certainly something to look forward to.

sephiroth1991:
If this happens i hope they deal with all the bugs before they release it, i was under the impression people needed a unofficial patch to get it to work properly.

That was vampire: the masquerage bloodlines. A very very good, but buggy rpg. It was made by Troika Games, this is being made by CCP, who made EVE Online, the very very good, and not buggy MMO. If your intrested it's based on White Wolve's table top RPG Vampire: Requiem (old version was called vampire: the masquerage).

Pink_Pirate:

only thing to be concerned about is this will probably be based on vampire: requiem and not masquerade.

Actually all the news sources that attended the Grand Masquerade event where the game was 'teased' i checked seem to point that it will be based on good old Masquerade.

This will suck. V:TM is based on political intrigue and subtlety, MMOGs are based on combat and point-and-click. You can't program NPCs to omit information that changes in real time to certain clans and reveal it to others, and NPCs can't gage how important real-time information is. So unless they plan on having a game where literally every character is a playing character and every player is serious about their role playing (will never happen online), it has to suck.
The other possibility is a vampire-based WoW, but that's just more of the same and will fail.

Seems weird to me this comes right on the heels of the trading card game being canceled considering many MMOs end up trying to make a related TCG at some point. You'd think they'd give each other a boost.

Looking forward to this. Was really sad to hear about the death of the card game. It was pretty much 2nd only to M:tG.

sephiroth1991:

Bloodlines was released as the Developer was closing down. The "unofficial" patch was created by many of the original team.

OT: I will defiantly pay monthly for this.

ark123:
This will suck. V:TM is based on political intrigue and subtlety, MMOGs are based on combat and point-and-click. You can't program NPCs to omit information that changes in real time to certain clans and reveal it to others, and NPCs can't gauge how important real-time information is. So unless they plan on having a game where literally every character is a playing character and every player is serious about their role playing (will never happen online), it has to suck.
The other possibility is a vampire-based WoW, but that's just more of the same and will fail.

Take a look at the player base of EVE online, much of what they do is what you're talking about.

I CAME.

Even Picard is happy! I need to get ready...QUICK! To Ebay for Tabletop games!

Keava:

On the other hand, shame it's not WoD in general, with mages, faerie, werewolves, mummies, demon hunters and rest of the happy bunch.

Expansions my dear friend. Expansions.

Obviously we must support the everloving crap out of this game for the sake of all things old-school.

ark123:
This will suck. V:TM is based on political intrigue and subtlety, MMOGs are based on combat and point-and-click. You can't program NPCs to omit information that changes in real time to certain clans and reveal it to others, and NPCs can't gage how important real-time information is. So unless they plan on having a game where literally every character is a playing character and every player is serious about their role playing (will never happen online), it has to suck.

Read this article, that happened in EVE Online. Unlike Blizzard, and practically all other MMO developers out there, CCP knows how to utilize the "Online" aspect of an MMO that goes beyond the usual, creating an incredibly deep gameplay that very much relies on human interaction and psychology, rather than having people do standard RPG-battles, but in groups.

ark123:

you are right, you cant program NPC for politics. But you can give players the power interact with each otehr politically. CCP have already dont this with EVE, players can form alliances and take control of space, a huge part of the alliance warfare is propaganda, espionage and politics, actual fleet combat (sometimes involving upwards to a thousand players at once) often doest occur unless as a result of political and social hostilities brimming over. Dont expect WoW clone from CCP.

More Vampire stuff? Damn it all. I'm sick of these modern Vampire stuff. I like my vampires as they were when I was a kid. They lived in old castles, wore black capes, had purple skin, and loved to count. GRRRR!

Hah, the person above who mentioned twilight,WOD is everything that horrifies those fans, vampires are properly portraited as monsters, predators and as far from gay mutants as possible.

Vampire the masqerade was a great game if quite buggy, here's hoping ccp can turn another great offering out- i was suprised to hear about white wolf merging with ccp.

There was a TV show?

ark123:

Like how others mentioned - eve online is all about political intrigue and subtlety. Being a "spy class" in eve online isn't like how you would imagine it in other mmos.

Spy Class in a normal mmo would probably be agile - backstab ability - stealth ability - hide in shadows etc.

In eve being a spy means you literally befriend the enemy - get invited to join their clan/corp. Then you relay intel via your handler while trying to make sure no one points the finger at you.

CCP know how to do intrigue and political drama.

But I don't play MMOs....
I want another VTM but it is an MMO. I cannot make up my mind, my vow against paying for MMOs or VTM....

Help?

I will have to think on this while playing bloodlines.

Sneaklemming:
There was a TV show?

ark123:

Like how others mentioned - eve online is all about political intrigue and subtlety. Being a "spy class" in eve online isn't like how you would imagine it in other mmos.

Spy Class in a normal mmo would probably be agile - backstab ability - stealth ability - hide in shadows etc.

In eve being a spy means you literally befriend the enemy - get invited to join their clan/corp. Then you relay intel via your handler while trying to make sure no one points the finger at you.

CCP know how to do intrigue and political drama.

Pink_Pirate:

ark123:

you are right, you cant program NPC for politics. But you can give players the power interact with each otehr politically. CCP have already dont this with EVE, players can form alliances and take control of space, a huge part of the alliance warfare is propaganda, espionage and politics, actual fleet combat (sometimes involving upwards to a thousand players at once) often doest occur unless as a result of political and social hostilities brimming over. Dont expect WoW clone from CCP.

Arachon:

ark123:

Read this article, that happened in EVE Online. Unlike Blizzard, and practically all other MMO developers out there, CCP knows how to utilize the "Online" aspect of an MMO that goes beyond the usual, creating an incredibly deep gameplay that very much relies on human interaction and psychology, rather than having people do standard RPG-battles, but in groups.

Oh, I agree that if you manage to convince the EVE people to play with vampires this would work.
Of course, none of the people who replied that actually play EVE.
EVE is about corporations, their player base is 30 years old with a high paying job ON AVERAGE, and there are parts of the game that are literally exactly like running a successful company. Finance, projection graphs, high executives, etc.
Now tell me you think these people would be willing to join a game where you play a vampire and use mystical powers. Someone convince me this isn't going to be 90% teenagers trying to rip each other's heads off and teenager girls trying to date Edward.

it will focus on party politics and social interaction

Soon to be dominated by GoonSwarm/GoonWaffe

Sneaklemming:
There was a TV show?

Yep, it was called "Kindred: The Embraced" and it ran for a whole eight episodes.

Keava:

Pink_Pirate:

Actually all the news sources that attended the Grand Masquerade event where the game was 'teased' i checked seem to point that it will be based on good old Masquerade.

Are you sure? White Wolf have been hammering home the New World of Darkness line for quite some time now. I'm a fan of both - preferring old in some cases and new in others - but unless they plan on reprinting OWoD, I don't see why they'd do this.

What would be ideal in my mind is New WoD mechanics (core mechanics, that is, as from the WoD corebook) with Old WoD's metaplot and Clans (using modified nWoD V:tR mechanics). That would suit an MMO very well, in that it allows for a great deal more NPCs, quests and defined goals than the open-ended New Vampire. There's an established threat, background, and lifespan for events to occur over.

I'm not a fan of oWoD's core mechanics, especially in Live/Mind's Eye Theatre.

(Context: I'm a regular player of Old Mage in MET, New Vampire in MET, New Mage in tabletop, and have read and dabbled in a variety of Old/New settings, the most complex being Old Vampire-Sabbat in Live)

You know, I'm not wholly excited about this game... but I hope desperately it does well. If a socio-political MMO game manages to work, and function properly, it could be the beginning of a small revolution to 'true' MMORoleplay games.

Not as in, deliberately roleplaying in the current sense (wonderful addition though that is to any MMO), but a game where your character's story and motivations are as much a part of the game as the fighting, if not moreso.

I'm really interested how they're planning on doing this, in fact. 'Only other game made a serious stab at this was URU Live, and that did so by doing.. well, nothing, but instead having the staff get directly involved with the gameplay to encourage direct roleplaying. Actually building game systems around such things.. well.

This looks like fun.
Let's see Edward run through a train and then crash through the end...

Now, I just have to read all the background material so I'm not COMPLETELY confused. Only partially. Ah hell, I'll be confused either way.
*Goes back to corner

ark123:
snip.
snip

Oh, I agree that if you manage to convince the EVE people to play with vampires this would work.
Of course, none of the people who replied that actually play EVE.
EVE is about corporations, their player base is 30 years old with a high paying job ON AVERAGE, and there are parts of the game that are literally exactly like running a successful company. Finance, projection graphs, high executives, etc.
Now tell me you think these people would be willing to join a game where you play a vampire and use mystical powers. Someone convince me this isn't going to be 90% teenagers trying to rip each other's heads off and teenager girls trying to date Edward.

I play eve - I run a pvp 0.0 corp.
Eve is great because of the players sure - but CCP made the game so that the players could take control. It's design.

The finance and statistics rubbish is for the industry people - part of the mechanics. You need people skills to run a corp - not an monthly projection graph. I don't think I've ever had to deal with that stuff.

The most executive thing I have to do is attend a twice monthly alliance meeting.

Thinking eve is all about finance is one of those incorrect presumptions about the game.

ark123:
*Snip*

Um, i Play EvE and i loved Bloodlines, so i know i'd play it. Looks Quaility Craic.

Logan Westbrook:

Sneaklemming:
There was a TV show?

Yep, it was called "Kindred: The Embraced" and it ran for a whole eight episodes.

Was it good?

Ive never played any of the WoD table top games but my d&d dm used to and has some of the books. Ive looked through the vampire: the requium and have been been wanting to play (sadly not a lot of people around here want to be vampires) I'll check out this MMO for sure

When I heard about the WoD game a few years back I was hoping they would allow you to play other factions.
The Leeches were never really my cup of tea (I was more of a Garou player myself) but I can certainly understand their decision to base it on the Vampire franchise.

For one it's the more popular of the two and as a matter of play balance you really can't have a bunch of Werewolves running around killing everything in sight.

The question is, does this take place in the new or old World of Darkness?
It really doesn't make any concrete references that would clarify, but based on the trailer making mention of "...each flaunting a dying power, tortured by their boundless appetites." I have to assume it's New WoD.

One of the systems introduced into Requiem was the idea that the stronger and older the Vampire becomes the more it has to feed until it reaches a point where only the blood of another Vampire or Supernatural creature can sustain it. (If I'm wrong and this wasn't a new addition to the setting I apologize. I'm not about to scan through both core rulebooks just to verify)

Is that absolute proof of the setting? No, but it's really the only thing in the trailer that seems to lean one way or the other.

Plus, from a more realistic standpoint, White Wolf has been pretty steadfast in their decision to keep the old WoD dead and buried and only move forward with their new system.

Lastly, New or Old, where the hell was the Prince of the city during all this? Clearly the vampires under his/her watch have been creating progeny like nobodies business.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here