Civilization Composer Officially Endorses Amusing Theme Lyrics

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Civilization Composer Officially Endorses Amusing Theme Lyrics

Did you know that the menu theme in Civilization 4 has secret lyrics? Oh yes, it does.

It's probably quite common for gamers to come up with their own lyrics when a videogame's theme song is stuck in their heads, but YouTube's "Brentalfloss" has taken the practice to the next level and gotten his officially endorsed. The comedian known for videogame theme song lyrics developed his version of the Civilization IV menu theme "Baba Yetu," which significantly increases the original work's hilarity level.

Christopher Tin, the composer of "Baba Yetu," has apparently endorsed the video according to Brent. "Baba Yetu" has gotten critical acclaim due to its inclusion in Civilization IV, winning multiple awards and now sung by non-videogame choirs across the world.

But I doubt that those choirs are using the version that calls Montezuma a "douchebag." Brent's video was released just in time to celebrate the release of Civilization V on the PC, with IV having been released in 2005.

While the lyrics are funny, I think they also make for a pretty good Civilization explanation in layman's terms. You can nuke any nation you want while also creating Jewish Nazis and building wonders of the world in Cleveland, but you always have to keep an eye out for that sneaky Gandhi.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun

I knew this would have been the song to get him onto The Escapist. I consider this the unofficial theme song for all civ games.

YES!

I loved the pedo bear pope!

Holy crap, you can ACTUALLY make Jewish Nazi's? I AM SO TOTALLY REINSTALLING CIV 4!

I'm surprised it's taken this long for brentalfloss to get endorsement. He's been doin' stuff for ages.
He deserves it, if you ask me. 'floss FTW!

AndyFromMonday:
Holy crap, you can ACTUALLY make Jewish Nazi's? I AM SO TOTALLY REINSTALLING CIV 4!

Well, technically it would be police state judaism, but yeah, you can.

Montezuma isn't as much as a bitch in Civ 5. Probably its greatest failing right there.

That's really good. Quite addicting , too. I've listened to it like 6 times now. Still like it.

Saw this! Love his channel and work - Epic Vid

Epic, this is a very entertaining song

Ok you had me at pedo bear pope and again at Jewish Nazis!.

Anyway I may get this game but I was sad when I heard they took religion out.

I'm already his subscriber, so I saw this a while ago. He does some amazing videogame songs, with my favorites being this one and his Mega Man 3 Remix.

Was entertained. I already have the original song on my ipod, perhaps I should get this as well.

That is hilarious, nearly as funny as Yahtzee's Deus Ex song, but with higher production values :)

its a beautiful song, and that version is hilarious

God damn Gandhi, always unites the world against me for some strange reason D:

Supp:

AndyFromMonday:

Well, technically it would be police state judaism, but yeah, you can.

Montezuma isn't as much as a bitch in Civ 5. Probably its greatest failing right there.

He is when I'm playing as him!

OT: Loving the song. My new official theme for Civilization.

Great... now I have a ramen noodle stuck in my nose from the massiv elawl I just had watching that.

Fuck it, im buy Civ 5, probalby going to be the most painful experience ill experience in gaming, but fuck it, this looks like fun... Jewish nazis... hehe

That was great, and really makes me want to re-install Civ 2 and 3.

Funniest thing I've seen all day. Congrats to Brentalfloss.

This is absolutely epic, I totally love it to bits!... The lyrics are so smart too: "take good care of your little nation", "spread your equally valid religion"? Can't argue with that! XD

This was a good one from Brentalfloss. I'm not the biggest fan of his work but damn this was a good one.

Love it to bits! Especially with regards to Monty, laughed so hard at that bit- he really is an asshole.

Wow, that was pretty funny.
Demo is almost done downloading.

Sincere outlaw:
Ok you had me at pedo bear pope and again at Jewish Nazis!.

Anyway I may get this game but I was said when I heard they took religion out.

From the looks of the demo... they did.

OT: Love it. I always wondered what those Africans where singing about whilst I set up my game in CIV IV.

lol, that's pretty good

Love it, can always trust the Escapist to point me towards cool stuff.

Gandhi...my god do I loathe that man, YOU'LL PAY, JUST YOU WAIT.

...ahem, well I'm going to have that song stuck my head for the rest of the week.

That was pretty funny. If only I could have that play when I'm in Civ IV vanilla.

At seriously Montezuma is a douchebag.

"Oh hey there Monty, seeing as which we're the same religion and have lived peacably next to one another for thousands of year, I'm sure that we can keep this peace going right?"

"Oh sure, just keep building up your culture and cities while going easy on the military." *He goes off and spams his Jaguar Warriors*

Goddamn prick...

In almost every comment I've read from multiple sources, I don't think anyone else has caught the Cleveland reference. Look up the Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video and the 2nd attempt posted by bishopvids and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I haven't even played a single Civilization game yet. Mostly because I've always heard that there is a lot of micro management involved in them. Might have to go take another look at them, because Brent's video has peaked my interest.

Gandhi... god damn I hate that fucker. Every time I play he always starts to attack my empire with no provocation... ok I guess I did tell him I would see his head on a pike but that's besides the point.

I'd say yhat he should make more songs, but then they wouldn't be nearly as good. Epic song is epic.

Tom Goldman:

Did you know that the instrumental menu theme in Civilization 4 has secret lyrics? Oh yes, it does.

Except it was never instrumental... The lyrics were the lord's prayer in Swahili, and it was awesome.

Disaster Button:
YES!

Very much so.

icyneesan:
God damn Gandhi, always unites the world against me for some strange reason D:

I feel proud when I wipe out Ghandi and he says something along the lines of 'Congratulations, you have defeated the peaceful Indian people.'

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here