EA Fires Back at Bobby Kotick

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

EA Fires Back at Bobby Kotick

Bobby Kotick may have had some choice words regarding EA's relationship with its studios, but the rival publisher isn't going to take it lying down.

Earlier today, we reported on some comments Activision bossman Bobby Kotick had regarding his firm's chief rival EA. Kotick accused EA of assimilating and rebranding all the studios it acquired rather than letting them keep their own internal cultures. EA, however, had some words for ol' Bobby, too.

"Kotick's relationship with studio talent is well-documented in litigation," EA corporate communication VP Jeff Brown told Gamasutra, referring to Activision's well-publicized lawsuits with both Double Fine and Infinity Ward.

"His company is based on three game franchises - one is a fantastic persistent world he had nothing to do with; one is in steep decline; and the third is in the process of being destroyed by Kotick's own hubris." For those keeping track at home, that would be World of Warcraft, Guitar Hero, and Call of Duty respectively.

Activision and EA have been taking the rivalry to new levels as of late, with members of EA's Visceral studio jumping ship to set up Sledgehammer with Activision, and the former heads of Infinity Ward Respawning at EA. Their statements, on the other hand, just remind me of nothing so much as a silly little slap-fight.

Meanwhile, Double Fine's Tim Schafer also responded to Kotick's comments about Brutal Legend via Eurogamer. "It's sad is that instead of just insulting me personally, he goes after the product of my hard-working team - a group of people he almost put out of work a while back," said Schafer.

"But what's even sadder is that it took him two months to think of a comeback."

To be fair to Mr. Kotick, his interview was in print. It's likely that it was a more timely statement when he originally gave it.

(Gamasutra)

Got my hopes up then, glanced at the headline and all I saw was ".......fires Bobby Kotick"

Ah well

"His company is based on three game franchises - one is a fantastic persistent world he had nothing to do with; one is in steep decline; and the third is in the process of being destroyed by Kotick's own hubris."

Couldn't have put it better myself.
EA-1
Kotick-0

Haha! Loved the video.

This is so funny... Bobby Kotick should have a moustache he regularly twirls and a white cat he strokes while plotting dastardly things.

I wear my invisible Ea T shirt proud now.

Calumon: Jack... put a shirt on.

Why do we even pay attention any more. Surely if the troll isn't fled, he'll just die, or find another bridge to hide under?

I'm proud of you EA, damn proud.

The video was a nice touch. But, we are just feeding the troll by posting these 'slap fights'.

wooty:
Got my hopes up then, glanced at the headline and all I saw was ".......fires Bobby Kotick"

Ah well

This.

Love the video.

Could you have posted a more perfect video?

OT: I've actually really grown to like EA. They used to be the "bad guy", but now they're legitimately allowing innovative, original IPs to come to fruition. Sure, they still have their Madden, Battlefield, and Medal of Honor, but games like Mirror's Edge are a breath of fresh air.

As it turns out, I also agree with pretty much everything they wrote here.

ahh corporate bitch fests

"His company is based on three game franchises - one is a fantastic persistent world he had nothing to do with; one is in steep decline; and the third is in the process of being destroyed by Kotick's own hubris."

EA: It's all in the game.

I hope they do Dirty dozens Next.
"Your Momma is So Biiig...."

God damn it, there's a queue to rip on Kotick.

Schafer fair play for saying it was more personal and to leave his teams work out of it.Then to deliver a awesome sting back personally again.

This is what i like about Tim Schafer there is no doctoring or company approved wording he just says what he thinks.

You should have used this video instead:

Colonel Alzheimer's:

Couldn't have put it better myself.
EA-1
Kotick-0

Im going to add "hubris" to my vocabulary, that would make for some interesting converstions.

Schafer just pwned Kotick.

John Funk:

Oh burn
Oh burn

Oh man, it's so on! EA's comeback was harsh; must have stung quite a bit.
And Tim Schafer delivers the knockout punch.

Kotick isn't going to come out of this debacle alive.

I so just called it.

Wouldn't it be even better if EA decided to be the better man... er, company and not answer that man-child at all?

Can we just get Bob outta there? Please? Anyone?

John Funk:

Ha! Gotta love Schafer!

Kotick, my boy, I believe you have just been told. :P

Jack and Calumon:
Jack: Jack... put a shirt on.

Quoting this before it gets edited out. :)

lol..."Oh Snap" is one of the tags. After the beat down by EA oh snap describes the situation pretty well

Nice video; I was thinking of this myself:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155225

Although I have to say, from everything I hear, Kotick is right about Brutal Legend not being a very good game.

WOW...

just how many people is he going to be able to get angry??

someone send marvin the martian over to him "I´m angry, very angry indeed"

no seriously, does he want to get the place of #1 most hated public figure in the world?? he is singlehandedly killing any hope for people actually liking him

and the jab at the 3 best titles of Activision, well, it was a well worded response from EA, Kotick feels so special yet has brought noting good to its company.

It's good to see someone try to put Kotick in his place. Unfortunately it's EA how did it.
Anyway, as much as I still hold a small grudge for some of EA's old DRM methods, they hit the nail on the head.
It was time someone grew some balls and told Kotick what a worthless and annoying creature he is. I mean the guy is such an ass that no mockary can get to him, so why not let some steam out, and tell the fucking truth: he did nothing for his company, just made it look like one of the most arrogant of them all.

Man, does this dude get on my nerves!

First EA brought us all my favorite battlefields (current renditions excluded), and now they bring me this literary sucker punch to Activision. I've never loved them more.

Is it me, or has the games industry just turned into a huge game of name-calling?
Don't get me wrong, it's hillarious, but seriously guys?

John Funk:

"His company is based on three game franchises - one is a fantastic persistent world he had nothing to do with; one is in steep decline; and the third is in the process of being destroyed by Kotick's own hubris." For those keeping track at home, that would be World of Warcraft, Guitar Hero, and Call of Duty respectively.

Oh damn. I must applaud EA for this statement.

Sure, this fight is childish, but it's entertaining.

Well, this Kotick fellow seems like quite the ass, but for those with short memories, This statement is 100% true

John Funk:

"Kotick accused EA of assimilating and rebranding all the studios it acquired rather than letting them keep their own internal cultures."

Or at least it was. I'm not entirely sure how EA operates these days, Trip Hawkins has been gone for a long time, and they have seemingly done some positive things. I doubt however that EA are quite the white knights that some people seem to think they are.

ELxSQUISHY:
I'm proud of you EA, damn proud.

Personally I'm still amazed that I could ever agree with those words.

Anyone else mistakenly read the title as "Fires Bobby Kotick" and feel a little joy for a moment?

Anyone, nice to see developers getting into the line of Kotick bashing.

John Funk:

You just gotta love that guy.

Also, EA, same as with the 'Edge studios' nonsense, well done.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here