PopCap Tried to Create "Cute" Diablo

PopCap Tried to Create "Cute" Diablo

What would happen if you mixed PopCap Games with Diablo? The world may never know.

PopCap Games is known for taking genres and boiling them down to their essences to create casual titles that anyone can play. Take Bookworm Adventures and Plants vs. Zombies for example, which are versions of an RPG and tower-defense game respectively. One genre that just didn't make the cut was the dungeon crawler, with PopCap recently saying it had to cancel a game that resembled Diablo.

PopCap co-founder Jason Kapalka told Develop: "We had a role-playing game where we had this idea of how to approach the RPG genre for a more casual market. I can't really go into details about the game, but it got pretty far. It was in beta, and it felt like a turn-based version of Diablo that was very cute."

Excuse me while I scream in terror about a game like this hitting PopCap's cutting room floor instead of my hard drive. Okay... now we can continue. Kapalka says that the Diablo-style game is now in PopCap's "design review" file.

For every game that makes the cut at PopCap, there many that don't which could end up stuck in design review. These titles are games that PopCap may have decided not to focus on, but are still potentially in the company's view for the future.

While Kapalka calls the Diablo game "really fun," he reveals its issues saying: "We had a lot of problems with the game's complexity spiraling out of control and, in the end, not being as casual as we wanted it to be." It seems my screams were not in order, because Kapalka also says of the design review file: "We do always want to go back to these games, take another look at them and figure out how to fix them. These games are never 100 per cent dead."

I, like many others, would be supremely interested in PopCap's take on a game like Diablo. Even if it just came up with some really cute concept art of Diablo monsters I'd probably put them in a slideshow and watch for hours on end. PopCap has proven itself as one of the masters of cute graphics and fun gameplay, so I'm hoping something that takes gamers into a dungeon with a similar style emerges from the studio eventually.

Source: Develop

IMO even if the game is complex they should still go for it.
I know they define themselves as being in the casual market, but a massive amount of "core" gamers love popcap games as well.

Cute Diablo?
Do I still get to burn people to death?
Or do I just hug them to death with cuddles.

Now I have this image of Diablo with kittens in my mind. Lovable, cuddly kittens of death!

It worked for this, why not a cute version of the dawn of war games6

Mhmm It seems like Cute Manhunt is just around the corner!

"The complexity spiralled out of control."

Why in the nine hells is that a reason to not continue making the game? What's with the position companies seem to take on only making games for a single audience, never straying?

Also, what's with the thought that a game's complexity and fun have to be an either/or proposition? There's absolutely no reason a game can't be complex while simultaneously being easy and enjoyable, just look at Altitude.

I'm pretty sure Popcap could release a public bathroom cleaning sim and it would sell like... well, a Popcap game.

Sounds plausable, if the below video is any indication...

I'm starting to really like this Blizzard-PopCap relationship.

jamesworkshop:

That's fucking awesome. Whoever did that was a genius.

RvLeshrac:
"The complexity spiralled out of control."

Why in the nine hells is that a reason to not continue making the game? What's with the position companies seem to take on only making games for a single audience, never straying?

Brand name recognition. If I see the name PopCap on a game I know it's going to be a casual game. This is especially important when your audience doesn't usually frequent game news or review sites.

RvLeshrac:
Also, what's with the thought that a game's complexity and fun have to be an either/or proposition? There's absolutely no reason a game can't be complex while simultaneously being easy and enjoyable, just look at Altitude.

There are plenty of other companies that do this, just not PopCap. Like I said before it all comes from what people expect when they see a PopCap game.

jamesworkshop:

BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.

Moar DAKKA!?

For some reason I was thinking something along the lines of this game.

Kimarous:

well then this changes my opinion.

Diablo already is RPG boiled down to the bare, minimal bones. Point, click, level-up.

How could you possibly make Diablo any more casual? Why would you want to?

jamesworkshop:

Oh god this! Popcap, that should be your next game.

In relation the to the thread at hand, that's a shame. Oh well, didn't like Diablo that much anyway.

Contun:
I'm starting to really like this Blizzard-PopCap relationship.

*Fixed that for ya.
Now I remember there was a Mummy game that felt a lot like the puzzler's answer to the dungeon crawler genre. Only played the shareware version on Popcap's website but I found it quite fun. Would love to see that put into affect in Tanaris. Ahem, anyway, I look forward to anything that comes up that prevents me from finally giving in an getting Plants vs Zombies and kissing the rest of my life away.

Tiamat666:
Diablo already is RPG boiled down to the bare, minimal bones. Point, click, level-up.

Thank-you. Someone else recognizes this.

You have earned my respect comrade.

too complex... oh comon... ffs

I'd buy it.

What?

I would.

Don't look at me like that...

Given Blizzard's work with Popcap before (Bejewelled and Peggle in WoW, their tribute to PvZ), they should totally do this. Make a cut-down, cutesy Diablo for web and download. It'd be a great pre-game promo, like Codename Gordon way back when HL2 came out.

Ahem. You obviously never had a GF heavy into the free MMOs.

http://www.ragnarokonline.com/

jamesworkshop:
(just a picture)

I lolled so loud at this, the guys in my computerlab thought I'dd gone raving mad.
You made my day!

A little more OT, I wonder if the bejeweled playing housewife (no offense, just an example) would dig the idea of killing demons in a dungeon...

Tiamat666:

Thats what I was thinking too. If you play Diablo on the easiest setting, it is the most basic game in the world. Pick two abilities for each of your mouse buttons, run around clicking on things to kill/open/loot/pick up, kill enough and level up.

Maybe it was the level up part... Those talent trees and how talents interact have a complexity rating of about 1/100. That's probably too much for a popcap game.

Awwww! I would have loved to see it! I could see it now...XD Would have been alot of cute and fluffy fun!

"We had a lot of problems with the game's complexity spiralling out of control"

Mouse1 + Mouse2

Real hard...
There's a reason Diablo is called the 'Mouse Destroyer'

Reminds me of Fate. If anyone else remembers that just go ahead and raise your hand.
Also, hey maybe some more casuals will find an article like this after playing the game, say "hey what's this Diablo of which you speak?" and pick up Diablo. Popcap is a really great company and they make lots of games that are really easy to get into and can help you get into more complex games. More power to them.

That sounds like something that might drop my productivity at work to zero. Take it out of the review file. Now!

It's like Popcap are trying find each and every way to legaly sell crach cocain over the internet viva games // I mean there is now a Plants v's Zombies in WoW, what more do they need!

-M

It's funny because Blizzard are aleady making a cute Diablo with Diablo 3.

Kimarous:

Awwwww, how adorab-- AHHH!! It's eating my sanity! Aaaahhhh!! x_x

In other news, I'm saddened by the news of a cute Diablo going bye-bye. :3

I somehow picture this being completely effing awesome.

Luke5515:
Reminds me of Fate. If anyone else remembers that just go ahead and raise your hand.
Also, hey maybe some more casuals will find an article like this after playing the game, say "hey what's this Diablo of which you speak?" and pick up Diablo. Popcap is a really great company and they make lots of games that are really easy to get into and can help you get into more complex games. More power to them.

Oh, I do. My mom was so ecstatic when she got a computer that came with it, because she was a HGUE diablo fan. actually stole my copy when she moved to oregon... she enjoyed it for what it was worth.

They already did this. It was called Fate. And it's a steaming dog turd

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here