Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Trailer Spoils Everything

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Trailer Spoils Everything

Castlevania: Lords of Shadows hits shelves next week, and this 11-minute trailer is here to cover every single facet of this reboot of Konami's vampire-hunting series.

**SPOILER WARNING**

In case you hadn't heard, there's a new Castlevania out in a week. If you hadn't heard, then you seem to be the precise target audience for this final pre-launch trailer, because this is eleven minutes of some guy (with a very pleasant British accent, admittedly) laying out absolutely everything about the new game.

You will learn that this is a reboot of the series, and it apparently has nothing to do with the other Castlevania games (except for when it does). It tells the story of Gabriel Belmont, a man out to defeat the mysterious Lords of Shadow in order to either bring his dead wife back from the dead or to lay her soul to rest.

You will learn that there will be platforming, violent-looking combat and puzzles to solve. You will see giant enemies called Titans that must be climbed and defeated, Shadow of the Colossus style. Essentially, if you had no idea what Lords of Shadow was about before, now you know all there is to know.

I'm really trying to keep an open mind here - and not just because I'm the guy who's going to be reviewing it - but while it looks good, it just doesn't look very Castlevania to me. If you took ten-second clips from random spots in that trailer, you might think you were seeing any number of games, from Prince of Persia to God of War to the aforementioned Shadow of the Colossus.

Sure, when you're dealing with a 20-year-old series with more retcons and story inconsistencies than your average comic-book franchise, a reboot is completely understandable. But other than Gabriel's name, calling the whip Vampire Killer, and vague allusions to Dracula (and considering the Japanese name for the series is "Devil's Castle Dracula," he'd better be in there somewhere), it feels like there's something missing.

In other words, I'm okay with a more combat-oriented Castlevania that takes more than a few pages from the God of War playbook, but if I don't hear "Bloody Tears" or "Vampire Killer" I'm going to punch a squirrel.

(Via Joystiq)

Really i would compare it to Dante's inferno

It overall looks pretty good. It looks more combat oriented, but so was Lament Of Innocence and I really didn't mind. I hope that there's a good amount of puzzles and platforming though. Running through an area killing waves of foes is all fine and well, but it tends to lose it's luster over time.

I actually feel a lot better about this game now. The changes made don't seem to be bad, the story looks good, and Castlevania has survived massive changes to its formula with little difficulty (Aria Of Sorrow, anyone?)

I wasn't really expecting too much from the game, but having played the demo now, I'm looking forward to getting it delivered. The atmosphere is great right from the start (having Sir Patrick Stewart as a narrator does help) and while it does remind me of God of War and others from looking at it in trailers, it didn't feel like that when I played it. Mind you, the demo is rather short and most certainly not representable for all of the content shown in the trailer above (no platforming or puzzles involved).
But it did feel immediately like Bram Stoker's Dracula right from the first scene and I don't see anything missing there at all.

I just hope that there is a bit of interesting story to this and not something like "oh, here is your mentor-like sidekick with only slight resemblance to Sean Connery. he is totally not going to die in a sacrifice for you and he is also not dracula in disguise *wink wink*".

From the information so far, this still looks like the most promising attempt at bringing the series into the third dimension.

Well it's down already unless you watch it on youtube. Any reason?

Well, I think it looks pretty good. Lucky for me, I didn't really care for Castlevania before, so a reboot doesn't affect me all that much.
I know some crazed Castlevania fans, though, that might not be so happy to hear this.

I've been playing Castlevania recently and this actually looks like it hits the atmosphere of the previous games pretty well. I like the looks of it to be honest, and if they were going to bring it up to date, this looks to be the way to actually do it. I'm very surprised.

I reckon for reboots of franchises they should just 3Dise the sprites :D
3D Dot Game Heroes style

Id buy THAT for a dollar hahahahahahahaaa

Damn. This looks pretty epic. Nice to see that a lot of effort has been put into this. Maybe I'll get this for Christmas.

So...where are the spoilers??

This was an infomercial that recycled a bunch of previous footage, and other than showing us some of the puzzles, some gameplay elements, and confirming that Dracula will appear in the game in some form, we got none. That's a good thing.

Sure it's a clone of 3 or 4 other games combined, but it still looks decent.

Is this for the 360???

LOL, this guy just told me all the story, i can skip all cutscenes now

BlindMessiah94:

Is this for the 360???

Yes. It's for the PS3 and the 360.

I think it looks very Castlvania-y. I'll just wait til I get more info. before I decide to buy it or not.

Poor John, hang in there during the review mate! I haven't played Castlevania games in aaaaages - but reboots have a tendency to ruin game series for me, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

yea there better castlevanias theme in that game because from the looks of it it doesn't look very castlevania like to me even lament of innocence or cv64 had more of the castlevania flavor to it...but eh you cant judge a book by its cover until you read it so ima give it a chance for old times sake

Well the only castlevania games I played were the ones on the n64 as a kid, so I was never to worried if this was good or not. But this game looks pretty promising from what Ive seen.

unabomberman:
So...where are the spoilers??

This was an infomercial that recycled a bunch of previous footage, and other than showing us some of the puzzles, some gameplay elements, and confirming that Dracula will appear in the game in some form, we got none. That's a good thing.

For some people, even those story element spoilers and puzzle answers are spoilers enough.

Besides, it was more catchy than the infinitely bland hed "Explains Everything" which is what I had before :P

I'm not so sure I like the way the whip combat looks. I'd prefer something that doesn't let your attacks take up the whole damn room. I don't know. Something more... whip like.

Aside from that I always thought that a more Prince of Persia style of platforming would suit a 3D Castlevania, but with a whip.

And I guess you could throw in the sex mini-games from God War, only with whips(kidding on that one).

So what I'm trying to say is that if you are going to make a Castlevania game that doesn't focus on 2D side scrolling platforming action, then it might not be a bad idea to focus on the series iconic weapon, and not just make it a big, flashy, flaming chain of death.

That said, I'll consider buying LoS pending reviews. Consider me skeptical though, seeing as I haven't finished a 3D Castlevania game since Castlevania 64. I've just been grateful that Konami has continued the 2D tradition on handhelds.

Does look like an awesome reboot of a solid francise - Want to pick it up myself, the trailer may have shown all, so to speak, but dosnt make me wanna not pick it up any less

I'll play this...in 6 months when it hits 20 dollars. Still not sold this series should be in 3D.

Well, barring a few moments from the vid, I'd say this looks like a Castlevania game but I will be pissed if the reboot also gets rid of the series' awesome music that is just as good as the games themselves. Again I'm reminded more of Lament of Innocence than God of War, so I really don't like it when people say "just another god of war clone" if anything it reminded me more of Devil May Cry than God of War. Too bad I'm unemployed, guess I'll have to not get it for however long I don't have money.

From everything u put down in ur article mr Funk the one thing that got my attention was the punching squirrel part!
Lmao with plenty of games to dissapoint you in the market i fear that soon kids wont be able to point at a tree and say "hey mommy its a squirrel"///cuz all the furry jumpers are in hospital with severe wounds from your brutal assault on em :D

"This Castlevania has been primarily designed to take the series into new directions and is not connected to any of the earlier Castlevania games; so new players can jump right in, without knowing or having played any of the previous adventures."

Translation: We designed this new game for 13 year old action fans, but since it's incredibly tough to promote a new IP in this industry, we decided to tack on the "Castlevania" brand name for good measure. This will help us increase sales and help you help yourself. We chose this option instead of trying to please the whining, obsessive NES Castlevania fans who might aswell eat shit and pretend anyone still gives a fuck about athmospheric 2D plattformers.

Love,
Your Castlevania team.
PS-Expect DLC a week after launch.
PPS-Check out the partial nudity at 4:44. Yes, 13-year olds, your money will be well spent here.

I'll give this a rent and no, I'm not an oldschool Castlevania fan.

The game has Sir Patrick Stewart in it. Thats really all I needed to know about this game in order to make a decision on whether or not I should buy it

It looks pretty good and having recently finished Darksiders, I'm on a mood for some more epic, long and dark adventure games.

If only this would come to PC... ah well, I guess I'll grab it until I get my PS3.

Quad08:
The game has Sir Patrick Stewart in it. Thats really all I needed to know about this game in order to make a decision on whether or not I should buy it

Did Sir Patrick Stewart have participation in the design decisions that would make this game a less generic experience than this particular trailer seems to indicate?

I never liked Castlevania, and this game (or at least this 11 minute trailer) doesn't make me want to play the series.

wheres my dracula?

I'm not quite so sure I'm looking forward to God of War 4: Lords of Shadow.

I loved the "Metroidvania"-type Castlevania games. I beat them all in the course of a month, they were great. Now that's all gone just so that they can rip-off God of War as much as possible. I was hoping that they could actually bring the 2D games into full 3D: a complex 3D maze filled with enemies and the occasional boss fight. That would have been great. Too bad they instead decided to go this way.

Nedoras:

BlindMessiah94:

Is this for the 360???

Yes. It's for the PS3 and the 360.

Cool, I may get this. You know, when it's not $60 and is a used reject bin somewhere (that's no reflection on the game, I just refuse to spend that much on any game...except Starcraft 2.)

I really hope they put a lot of exploration into this one. Does anyone else agree that it would be the coolest thing if they totally turned you loose in Dracula's castle? Kinda like the metroidvania ones but as a 3d action game.

Wow, I only remember vaguely renting a Castlevania game for the N64 years ago, so this is great to see! It sounds like it will be a very full game with tons to explore and plenty of diversity to keep the action lively. I will certainly keep an eye on this because the "vampire/evil hunter" characteristic seems compelling.

Welp. The Titans are nothing like the Colossi.
>_>
<_<

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook