3DS Software Lineup Trailer Might Justify the Price Tag

Pages 1 2 NEXT

3DS Software Lineup Trailer Might Justify the Price Tag

If the 3DS' price feels a bit steep for your blood, this trailer does a decent job of reminding gamers the bang they'll be getting for their buck.

Yes, the 3DS is ¥25,000, which - thanks to an incredibly strong yen against the dollar - directly equates to $298. Other systems that launched in Japan at ¥25,000 include the Wii (retailed in the West for $250) and the original PSP (which came over here at $199), but they were released in an era of more favorable exchange rates.

Whether it's $250 or $300, either way you look at it, the 3DS is still on the upper bound of "how much gamers will be willing to shell out for a handheld." This software lineup trailer from Nintendo's recent 3DS conference, though? It does a pretty good job at justifying that price.

The big hitters here, of course, are Kid Icarus, Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D, Resident Evil, Paper Mario, StarFox 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Mario Kart 3DS looks like more Mario Kart, which isn't a bad thing at all, and I am sure that somebody out there will absolutely go gaga over Nintendogs & Cats.

If all of these games are out at - or shortly after - launch, it could be one of the most impressive release day lineups I've seen in ages. Does that make a hypothetical $300 (or $250) price tag any less high? No, not really. But it's certainly helping me justify the purchase to my own wallet.

(GoNintendo)

The price doesn't sound that bad. Some of these games look excellent though. Nintendo is finally moving in the right direction.

so the high price tag is softened by all the games that come out while you are still recovering from the original purchase?, dont get me wrong im gonna stand in line for the midnight launch of this thing, but it will be some time before i can afford a new game for it.

That's a good launch line-up. A very good one, indeed.

But still: Nintendogs and Cats? Nintendo's innovation continues (I'm just kidding).
The line-up sounds good but more or less it's: Interesting reboot, remake, remake (?), remake, remake, remake and remake with cats.

It does give good reason to the purchase for sure, but still. A heavy price tag is anything.

It feels like handhelds going to cost as much as there larger, livignroom / bedroom cousins soon.

$300 for one new title and some remakes is not my idea of value.

... Holy shit...

... I actually REALLY want a new Nintendo system. I... I didn't think that'd happen for years, if ever again.

And it looks like it has great quality games...

My god.

My gamer-life has been turned upside down.

I must admit it's an extremely impressive lineup. Even if only half of these are the release lineup, I'm going to have to make some tough choices...
As for the price, I know it's a big launch, but still... I gotta start saving now.

That doesn't sound very exciting to me, the majority of those games are remakes. What's the appeal?

So....$300 plus the cost of 6 new release titles? Yeah, sounds cheap.

Why must the things I want cost money? It's a conspiracy :I

Snake Eater 3D sold me a 3DS.

I just wished they put a second analog stick on the damn system. Ok, it has a the touchscreen, that's cool and all, but some games simply NEED two analog sticks. The system would be the most versatile ever control-wise with a second analog stick. But it looks like it's too late for that. =/

ZeroMachine:
... Holy shit...

... I actually REALLY want a new Nintendo system. I... I didn't think that'd happen for years, if ever again.

And it looks like it has great quality games...

My god.

My gamer-life has been turned upside down.

You say that but you have a metroid avatar?

I would be very, very surprised if the 3DS was $300. $250 seems infinitely more likely to me.

AND ALL WAS RIGHT IN THE WORLD!

Actually want this now :/

Zombie Nixon:
That doesn't sound very exciting to me, the majority of those games are remakes. What's the appeal?

The appeal is the remakes are game that are over 10 years old and so many people who are now the right age to play games have never played them.

I hate to admit it, but I'm beginning to want one more and more even with the huge price tag. The graphics look pretty good from what I could see, the 3D is supposed to work well from what I've heard, and the games all look at least fairly interesting so far. Plus, it will likely be like the DS in that it will have a lot of games for it and last quite a long time. I can actually see it being worth $300 just due to the fact that I bet it will last a good 7-10 years.

To be honest, the AU$400 price tag may cripple sales. The 4 million sales they think they'll get in the first month seems more like a pipe dream. I know I'm buying the console on release and I hope Zelda:OOT 3D is a launch title. I think the 3DS will sell a small amount during the first half of 2011 but by Christmas it will drop AU$50 to rake in some big cash. That or it will only sell to diehard fans of Nintendo the first year and the DS will drop even further in price and make up for the lack of 3DS sales.

John Funk:
I would be very, very surprised if the 3DS was $300. $250 seems infinitely more likely to me.

They already announced it, it's been covered on a few other sites.

EDIT: LoL, and there's even one on Escapist

Really it's not that expensive, I won't buy it for a couple of years but I can appreciate why the price is what it is, wallet stinging or not.

The original Gameboy launched at $89.99 dollars, it wasn't exactly cheap. Given inflation that's umm...*pulls up a inflataion tables for america and does some quick calculations* ...roughly equivalent to $161 dollars today and it's components were a long way from cutting edge and didn't have to be there was no real competition in the marketplace.

Today every man and his dog is walking around with $400 to $700 worth of computing as a mobile phone, all of them can play games and Nintendo has to make their handheld look cutting edge without subsidising the purchase (ooh, 3DS phone on contract anyone?).

Costing twice as much isn't so bad given that it actually has fairly good specs this time around.

The moment they said Megaman Legends 3, they guaranteed my purchase. I've got no idea about Nintendo products, I've never owned one of their systems or their handhelds, and I've got no clue at all what sort of graphical level they've attained recently or what's planned for the 3DS...

Don't care really. That's where MML3 is, I'll be buying one.

Edit: Just caught the trailer on their homepage. Impressive graphics for a handheld system. Or maybe I'm out of touch and they've been this way for a while. Whatever the case, this makes me feel good about the visual prospects for MML3, and that's the most important thing.

I think I'll hold off and wait for that list of fantastic titles to actually come out before I rush out and buy one. It's possible that this is going to be the console that promises and delivers on a fantastic launch-day set of available titles, but all I've seen so far is the promises.

The price tag sounds good to me and the lineup is quite impressive indeed (especially Metal Gear), but sadly, here on Mexico, that price, assuming it's going to cost $250, roughly translates to $3250 pesos and that's without taxes wich I predict the final deal will cost $3500 or $4000 pesos. if it's $300 it roughly translates to $3900, wich I assume will cost $4500 or even $5000 (!).

As a bit of a comparison, I got my Wii at $3500, I bought the 360 from a friend at $2000 and the PS3 costs $4500 (if you look hard enough).

I'm... actually not in the slightest bit interested. I've played Ocarina of Time before, and while it's awesome, it's not worth shelling out AU$400+ for the portability. The 3D is neither here nor there to me.

As has been mentioned about, the majority of them are ports or remakes. I'll wait until they release something a little more interesting/original, and lower the price. A lot.

Oh shit....

I was sold at a NEW Animal Crossing game....

brb going to the bank!

Mornelithe:

John Funk:

They already announced it, it's been covered on a few other sites.

EDIT: LoL, and there's even one on Escapist

No, they've announced the Japanese pricing of 25,000 yen.

Which, as I said in the original post was the launch price for the PSP and Wii, which were released here at $199 and $250, respectively.

To my knowledge there has been no official announcement of a European/US price. Everything else is speculation.

Please read more carefully next time :)

Long awaited sequel... re-release, Sequel (maybe a re-release), same, re-release, re-release, and Mario Kart... again...

While I'm looking forward to the 3DS, the launch games do not inspire me with much confidence that we'll be getting the best thing ever. Why not make a new Star Fox? Why not make a new Zelda? Why not stop making Mario Kart? Kid Icarus, yeah, nice change of pace... but that's maybe one of the several things listed. A bit disappointed.

Perhaps tomorrow's quiz of the day: 3DS lineup, what are you most looking forward to? I'm not betting on it, but I expect it's going to be this...

As long as it's not done by the same person who did the MMO quiz.
>Which upcoming MMOS are you...
>No Guild Wars 2
>No ToR
>No Tera
>LOL 40k MMO, only 2+ years away

Excited, despite the long wait ahead. This'll be the first time I've bought a console for a game since Halo: CE.

as long as nintendo still makes a good product, it will always justify the price

DO WANT!
I had no idea there were so many amazing games launching with it. MUST HAVE IT!

That Submarine one looks really fun, but there's no way I'm going to shell out $250-300 for a 3DS...

This video just earned Nintendo $250 - $300 from me.

Surprised no appearance from Pokemon b/w.

SilverUchiha:
Long awaited sequel... re-release, Sequel (maybe a re-release), same, re-release, re-release, and Mario Kart... again...

While I'm looking forward to the 3DS, the launch games do not inspire me with much confidence that we'll be getting the best thing ever. Why not make a new Star Fox? Why not make a new Zelda? Why not stop making Mario Kart? Kid Icarus, yeah, nice change of pace... but that's maybe one of the several things listed. A bit disappointed.

Yes why not make a new Starfox, it's not like everything since Starfox 64 has been various forms of absolute failure or anything. Oh wait.

It makes a lot more sense for them to do a remake to test the waters than to do a sequel that people will play twice for 30 minute total and return because it's shit (speaking from experience)

Also Nintendo's lineup is not the entire 3DS lineup. Given their strong third party support (hopefully) we'll be seeing more than just the "blasphemous" remakes and sequels you all seem to abhor so much as long as it's Nintendo doing them.

As to your Mario Kart question, it's because Mario Kart DS was the 5th best selling game in a year 5 years after it was released, that's why. Mario Kart is popular. Deal with it.

Also, Mega Man Legends 3

I'm actually going to wait on some more original titles before committing.
Remakes to me are interim titles (nice to have around); but they shouldn't form the absolute base of a system's gaming library since they're games we've already seen before.

John Funk:
But it's certainly helping me justify the purchase to my own wallet.

Right, like you would buy this with money out of your pocket and not end up saying it was a work expense.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here