Castlevania: LOS Producer Swears It's Worthy of the Name

Castlevania: LOS Producer Swears It's Worthy of the Name

When it started work on Lords of Shadow, all MercurySteam wanted to do was to create a game worthy of the Castlevania title - and the producer thinks his team succeeded.

It has been noted by some (including yours truly) that the upcoming Castlevania: Lords of Shadow looks a lot like games that aren't Castlevania - Prince of Persia, God of War, even Shadow of the Colossus. Speaking with CVG, though, MercurySteam producer David Cox assured fans of the vampire-slaying series that the developer's chief aim was to "make a game worthy of the Castlevania name."

Still, said Cox, though the game was aimed at long-term Castlevania devotees, it was "first and foremost" a game that people who weren't already fans could enjoy, too. "You don't have to know Castlevania lore - but you can enjoy an epic quest that will last 20 hours."

According to Cox, MercurySteam's game had been one of three pitches Konami had considered regarding a potential reboot of the Castlevania franchise, though it's unclear whether all three pitches had been from MercurySteam or if the Madrid-based developer had been competing with other studios for the game. In the end Konami went with the idea that would eventually become Lords of Shadow - and Hideo Kojima had been so impressed by the pitch that he'd offered to lend MercurySteam a hand.

Cox also addressed criticisms that Lords of Shadow resembled other well-known games more than a little bit. "I understand that people often need to pigeon hole a game before they have seen it, to explain a point. Yes, there are similarities: 3D, Titan battles, etc. but there is a lot in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow that none of the others do."

I'm not saying that you're wrong, Mr. Cox, but some examples would be nice. Is Lords of Shadow different in that there is backtracking and exploration like we've come to expect from the "Metroidvania" style? Or is it just different in that God of War doesn't let you fight Dracula?

To be fair, Cox makes an admittedly good point: The Castlevania series is so long and storied by now that it could well have influenced other games - and an attempt to recapture the feel of early Castlevania might in turn resemble those games, too. "At 25 years old - it is fairer to say that the games you mention owe as much to the Castlevania series, as CLOS does to them!"

With Lords of Shadow out next week, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now, guys. Like I said last time, I'm easy to please - just throw a few of the classic Castlevania tunes in there, and we'll be golden.

(CVG)

I have to get this game now.

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/castlevania-lords-of-shadow/review/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-super-review/a-2010092715431798073/g-20090603161718647020

After reading the GamesRadar review, and finding out that this game is actually going to be difficult, and focus on timing with the magic system, and dodging, I'm excited. The 15-20 hour length doesn't hurt, either.

Well, nothing wrong with taking a different direction with something, but, want to see more of it before I really invest myself into it...

Orgasm!

No seriously I had doubts about this game but now I think I'm in love!

There had better not be QTEs. Please don't stoop to that level for Castlevania, Konami.

I tried the demo and what ive played i did like. Though one thing that was bad with the demo was that there was no lock on button.

But i will still buy it.

Ummmm...there's a reason the early game-style was scrapped in favor of the SOTN style. It sucked if you liked games for more than its art (which was amazing even way back then...)
after all, many other games were doing the same thing but better: mega man, metroid etc...

So my theory is this: this will be a mediocre clone of other games
with dracula and a massive chain whip.

Edit: just read a fairly in-depth review: Its fucking devil may cry with a slightly more difficult to use devil trigger. And sweet art.

I've got high hopes for this game, and I'm looking forward to the release date.
If this goes well it could be Mercury Steam's redemption after their horrible previous releases.

I am so saddened by this. I love Castlevania, and despise Kojima. It's like being forced to watch while a jerk has aggressive sex with your ladyfriend.

The fact that they actually came out and said "No guys, we really think we did a good job," prolly means that 1) they didn't, and b) they probably don't know what a "good" Castlevania game is.

I am sad.

EDIT
Let me clarify:

If you take a franchise in a completely different direction, you don't say "we think we're worthy of being called a legit title in the series," you say "You know what? We grew up on these games, and this was the idea that we've had since we were kids like, 'wouldn't a game like this set in the same universe be awesome'? But we know that it's different and hope people give it a chance."

The fact that they're trying to give themselves credit before anyone's touched the damn thing is a sure sign that something went horribly wrong.

This whole trend of rebooting for the sake of people new to the series is incredibly stupid. I thought these guys were in it for the money? How could they be missing such a great opportunity? If you really care about the franchise, you make a compelling stand-alone game, but you seed it with references and threads that connect it to the series. Then, two weeks later, what should pop up on PSN/Xbox Live? Oh my, it's the ultimate Castlevania collection. Gasp, I'm so surprised. For maximum marketability, split it up, and even include some of the crappy ones in between the good. Of course, that would be the plan of an ambitious developer who wanted to share their love of the series. Reboots are nothing but laziness.

Atmos Duality:
There had better not be QTEs. Please don't stoop to that level for Castlevania, Konami.

Already confirmed in another article.

P.S.

Souplex:
I am so saddened by this. I love Castlevania, and despise Kojima. It's like being forced to watch while a jerk has aggressive sex with your ladyfriend.

Fun fact: the Japanese have a word for that, "netorare."

Also this:

To be fair, Cox makes an admittedly good point: The Castlevania series is so long and storied by now that it could well have influenced other games - and an attempt to recapture the feel of early Castlevania might in turn resemble those games, too. "At 25 years old - it is fairer to say that the games you mention owe as much to the Castlevania series, as CLOS does to them!"

Has anyone ever tried making copies of copies? Try faxing something that was faxed to you to someone else, tell me how it looks coming out of their fax machine. No Mr. Funk, that's not a "good point" that's justification for blatantly ripping off mechanics of other popular titles and sounds akin to a 10th grader trying to justify why he copied his midterm paper from Wikipedia.

Can it be a "good" game? Sure. Did it in anyway need to be called "Castlevania?" Absolutely not. In fact, it's almost insulting to people who have been waiting for a new Castlevania game.

Still, said Cox, though the game was aimed at long-term Castlevania devotees, it was "first and foremost" a game that people who weren't already fans could enjoy...

Well fuck you too, Mr. Developer. Thankfully I have put 20 years of my life into being a fan of the universe that was created and appended time and time again so you could come and spend tons of time and money making a game for people who could give a fuck about it.

SavingPrincess:
snip

I agree dood. To say that this is anything but an attempt to jettison the core audience of the series and make a quick buck is...well...sad.

edit: also, in that recent video narrated by that english guy, was I the only person that felt like puking when he talked about the over arching story/history of the series being an impediment to new gamers playing the game? I mean really, how stupid do we look? every castlevania game can stand on its own.

I'll have to try a demo before I decide, but right now...meh.

*Goes back to playing one of the handheld Castlevanias has beaten multiple times*

I think I'll wait and see what others say before I consider giving this one a chance. Until then I'll stick to my favorites in the series, OoE and SotN.

Souplex:

This post should be enshrined. It's the perfect emotional reaction.

Also: For God's sake, Cox. Stick a sausage in your mouth if it'll prevent you from opening your gob and making a public ass of yourself. Get back to work on the game and shut up.

EDIT: I stand corrected. SavingPrincess's post was the perfect example of every complaint we've heard about the new DMC design with the serial numbers filed off. It quite frankly makes you understand why all developers are "betraying" their fans as of late.

That guy is not a miserable pile of secrets.

MercurySteam producer David Cox assured fans of the vampire-slaying series that the developer's chief aim was to "make a game worthy of the Castlevania name."

Having picked it up and tried it now...

Next time, MercurySteam needs to try a scoped weapon. They missed and ended up shooting Castlevania in the crotch instead.

Goddamn QTEs...

strum4h:
That guy is not a miserable pile of secrets.

perhaps the same could be said of all developers.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here